• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Archive] Pokemon Essentials: Starter Kit for RPG Maker XP

Status
Not open for further replies.

pkmntrainerpaul

New account: P-Sign
Years
  • I've got a problem with Pokemon Essentials.
    Atcually, I'm using Essentials DS, but since this question is regarding an Essentials Script, I posted it here.

I've downgraded the menu by removing the HGSSMenu and replacing PokemonMenu and Scene_Map with the scripts of Essentials.
    However, when I talk to an event with the trigger set on Action Button, I'm getting this error:
    Spoiler:

Does someone know how to fix this?

Nevermind, fixed it.

Last edited:

darr123

Expert trainer
    Years
  • My autotiles go black when I set my screen size to 284,160 and my tile width and hight to 16,16 anyone know how to fix ?

Years
    • UK
    • Seen Apr 19, 2024
    anyone know how to do the choices via script, not via a message windows. i tried it with the normal message command "\ch[]" but it didn't work

KitsuneKouta

狐 康太
    Years
    • Seen Nov 20, 2017
    anyone know how to do the choices via script, not via a message windows. i tried it with the normal message command "\ch[]" but it didn't work
    Yeah, here's something I posted about 6 months ago. Took a few mins to find it:
    Code:
    def pbChoicesList(text,variable)
       choices=[
         _INTL("[COLOR=DarkRed]Choice 1[/COLOR]"),
         _INTL("[COLOR=DarkRed]Choice 2[/COLOR]"),
         _INTL("[COLOR=DarkRed]Choice 3[/COLOR]"),
         _INTL("[COLOR=DarkRed]Choice 4[/COLOR]"),
         _INTL("[COLOR=DarkRed]Choice 5[/COLOR]")
         ]
       command=Kernel.pbMessage(text,choices,0)
       $game_variables[variable]=command
       if $game_variables[variable]==0
         Kernel.pbMessage("[COLOR=DarkRed]Choice 1[/COLOR][COLOR=DarkRed] was chosen[/COLOR]")
         [COLOR=Green]#do something here
    [/COLOR]   elsif $game_variables[variable]==1
         Kernel.pbMessage("[COLOR=DarkRed]Choice 2[/COLOR][COLOR=DarkRed] was chosen[/COLOR]")
    [/COLOR]   elsif $game_variables[variable]==2
         Kernel.pbMessage("[COLOR=DarkRed]Choice 3[/COLOR][COLOR=DarkRed] was chosen[/COLOR]")
    [/COLOR]   elsif $game_variables[variable]==3
         Kernel.pbMessage("[COLOR=DarkRed]Choice 4[/COLOR][COLOR=DarkRed] was chosen[/COLOR]")
    [/COLOR]   elsif $game_variables[variable]==4
         Kernel.pbMessage("[COLOR=DarkRed]Choice 5[/COLOR][COLOR=DarkRed] was chosen[/COLOR]")
    [/COLOR]   end
    end
    Call the script with pbChoicesList("insert prompt here", 123). Just input your own text to prompt the player, and pick a variable that's not being used (the "123" in the example). And of course, you'll want to change the red portions to something more appropriate.
    I'm assuming this is what you had in mind.

Years
    • Seen Sep 2, 2011
    That's easy. Just add a Change BGM event to the end of the Event that your Rival Battle contains.
    Thanks but it isnt about the battle. You know when you encounter a trainer, a exclamanation point pops out and a music starts playing. then when the battle starts a different music starts, a trainer battle one. Im not talking about a battle, just the encounter, and there is no change BG event except the battle one.

EDIT: BTW, how to make a different window when they are talking, it has a window from Emrald, but i want one from HG/SS.

Last edited:

FL

Pokémon Island Creator
    Years
    • Seen today
    Okay, I solved the problem with the skin of the speech frames not saving, it was really simple, the problem is in the script PokemonOption search for this:
    Code:
    def self.pbDefaultSpeechFrame
        if !$PokemonSystem
          return pbResolveBitmap("Graphics/Windowskins/"+MessageConfig::TextSkinName)||""
        else
          return pbResolveBitmap("Graphics/Windowskins/"+$SpeechFrames[$PokemonSystem.frame])||""
        end

then change this line from:
    Code:
    return pbResolveBitmap("Graphics/Windowskins/"+$SpeechFrames[$PokemonSystem.frame])||""

to:
    Code:
    return pbResolveBitmap("Graphics/Windowskins/"+$SpeechFrames[$PokemonSystem.textskin])||""

The game should now save the speech frame skin selected by the player.
    What was happening was that the game was using the number of the system frame skin selected (the one for all the menus) which is stored in "frame" instead of the number used for the speech skin selected (the one for talking) which is stored in "textskin".

The game also doesn't use the .txt files in the "Windowskins" folder after compiling it with encryption, this is what is causing the skins "frlgtextskin" and "rstextskin" that come by default to look 3 lines tall instead of 2.
    The easy way to fix this is to only use regular small skins that don't need any trimming and delete the ones I listed in the "windowskin" folder or change them for newer ones with a smaller size that don't need any trimming.

Also, the game by default repeats one of the speech skins because it's set to use skin "frlgtextskin" (I think) as the default one and as skin #3 at the same time, so it repeats it, the way to fix this is to delete "frlgtextskin" from the list of the skins used which is in PokemonOption around line 185 or to add a new skin and change the default skin used in the script SpriteWindow for a that one.

These are not really big problems, but details that make your game look better. I hope you find this useful for your project.
    Even if you short the height the text goes too right, in some cases its goes above the windows border. To fix this in SpriteWindow, around line 2150 change the line "@trim=[@skinrect.x,@skinrect.y,@skinrect.x,@skinrect.y]" to "@trim=[@skinrect.x,@skinrect.y,@skinrect.x-16,@skinrect.y]".
    This fix the message windows but mess with all others... I think that solution is put a "if" for SpeechFrames and TextFrames, but I don't know how to check this in this script, maybe "if @skinrect[0]==32".

Thanks but it isnt about the battle. You know when you encounter a trainer, a exclamanation point pops out and a music starts playing. then when the battle starts a different music starts, a trainer battle one. Im not talking about a battle, just the encounter, and there is no change BG event except the battle one.

EDIT: BTW, how to make a different window when they are talking, it has a window from Emrald, but i want one from HG/SS.
    Change the Windowskins folder. If you wish to add and not only switch, add you windows in the list at Options Script. Take a look in the txt in this folder but remeber that if you use the default encryption the txt won't work.
    Also:

Years
    • Seen Sep 2, 2011
    Thanks again FL..:D......................

Oh and another question..i know, im getting boring lol..

i want a different font. When i select Diamond and Pearl font, there is no space between words, im using the Poccils DS essentials.(This should be in Pokemon ds thread i know). Anyway, how to fix that?

Last edited:

Derxwna Kapsyla

Derxwna "The Badman" Kapsyla
    Years
  • Okay, so, I have a question -- probably a very foolish one of me to ask, and one that's probably been answered in here, but I couldn't find anything in the Thread Search, so...

I'm working on a little project, and I'm trying to figure out how to make it check for an item in the bag to allow access into somewhere in conjunction with a Choice Selection menu. I know how to make it work with Pokemon in the party, but I'm not sure how to do it with Items in the bag.

FL

Pokémon Island Creator
    Years
    • Seen today
    Okay, so, I have a question -- probably a very foolish one of me to ask, and one that's probably been answered in here, but I couldn't find anything in the Thread Search, so...

I'm working on a little project, and I'm trying to figure out how to make it check for an item in the bag to allow access into somewhere in conjunction with a Choice Selection menu. I know how to make it work with Pokemon in the party, but I'm not sure how to do it with Items in the bag.
    Using the Conditional Branch $PokemonBag.pbQuantity(PBItems::POTION)>0 or http://pokemonessentials.wikia.com/wiki/Tutorial:Easily_choose_an_item_from_the_Bag

Derxwna Kapsyla

Derxwna "The Badman" Kapsyla
    Years
  • I used the Conditional Branch, but for some reason it crashed on me. I'm not sure what I did wrong, but lemme get the error log. I get the feeling it was something too simple that I'm just forgetting to do ;-;
    Spoiler:

Maruno

Lead Dev of Pokémon Essentials
    Years
    • Seen yesterday
    I used the Conditional Branch, but for some reason it crashed on me. I'm not sure what I did wrong, but lemme get the error log. I get the feeling it was something too simple that I'm just forgetting to do ;-;
    Use two colons after PBItems, like so:

Code:
    $PokemonBag.pbQuantity(PBItems::HELLPASS)>0
    Also use the internal name of your item (typically an all-caps version of its actual name).

Years
    • Seen Jul 6, 2022
    Hi!
    One question.

How can I change the music of WildBattleBGM without modifying anything of the Metadata.txt?
    I want different Wild Battle music in every region.

Winneon

[b][color=#fb0120]しょう[/color][color=#fc6d24]が[/col
    Years
  • In RPG Maker XP using Pokemon Essentials, how do I change the Pokemon Sprites, not icons? And then after that, how do I use my custom sprites in the game???

Winneon

Years
  • Size of Screen help

I am creating Pokemon: Swords of Mystery in RPG Maker XP and I was wondering, how do you change the size of the screen to smaller. For example, the Pokemon Raptor Screen:
    PokemonRaptorScreenExample.PNG
    (Actual Size)
    And, also, what is the dimensions of the Pokemon Raptor Screen above???

Years
    • Seen Nov 3, 2016
    If you are using the Pokémon Essentials Starter Kit, you can make the screen smaller in the options menu in-game. If not, you'll have to edit some scripts.

Years
    • Seen Dec 30, 2023
    In RPG Maker XP using Pokemon Essentials, how do I change the Pokemon Sprites, not icons? And then after that, how do I use my custom sprites in the game???

Go to your battlers folder within graphics. This is where you will be able to change or add new sprites.

As for using custom sprites I'm not entirely sure what you mean? What are you trying to add or change?

Years
    • Seen Nov 3, 2016
    how do I use my custom sprites in the game???
    If it's Pokémon sprites that you're talking about, open up RMXP, press F10, click on Graphics/Battlers and then click import. Now just select your custom sprite and import it. For information on how to create new Pokémon, trainers etc, have a look around this website. Hope it helps :)

Winneon

Years
  • Basic and Advanced Scripting Help Center

Hello, PokeCommunity!

I thought I would make a thread for people to put in their questions and answers about scripting!

To start this tread off, I would like to ask:
    How do you edit the very beginning of the game. I mean when you JUST start the game and it says the copyright stuff and the presents slide and so forth. What script is that and how do I edit it so when it says NEW GAME, I can but a background image behind it?

Hope this tread is useful!:)

-JalordaSerpent7

Cilerba

the hearts of lonely people
    Years
  • Moved a few of the latest posts into the Essentials thread where they should've been in the first place.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back