• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Does ANYONE besides me think that The Hunger Games are just a LITTLE bit overrated!?

Years
  • Does ANYONE besides me think that The Hunger Games are just a LITTLE bit overrated!?
    I think it's REALLY overrated but I'll let you guys share your opinions here. You can say you do or you don't, I don't really care.
    I see tons of people just walking around with this book and always pestering me to read it. I WILL NOT. You see, I personally think no book should be able to get this much fame unless society has possibly dumbed down. And before you get started thinking I'm judging a book by it's cover, I've already tried reading it.

Sorry if this sounds like a rant, I'm just sick of having to go outside and get bothered about The Hunger Games. I hope it's just Folsom where this problem is...

Nihilego

[color=#95b4d4]ユービーゼロイチ パラサイト[/color]
    Years
  • I'd.... really suggest you justify your opinions before stating them so vigorously.

But regardless of what your justification is, OC&D isn't the right place for this. Books are a form of media - therefore I'll put this in Culture & Media where it belongs.

Years
    • Seen May 9, 2024
    I think it's just Folsom where that problem is... I don't see anyone with the book around here! I don't understand the whole fame and dumbing it down thing. Personally, I think if you gave it a chance and read it, you'd enjoy it. The Hunger Games is really rather interesting in a bunch of different ways.

Years
  • Threads on Literature, Film, Movies, etc, belong in Culture and Media. Although, I'd revisit the point of this thread because it's a little too opinionated I think. :x But that's just me.

So head on over to C&M.

Last edited:
    Years
    • UK
    • Seen Oct 17, 2023
    I thought the movie was enjoyable, however I felt these were the problems (baring in mind I have not yet read the books):

Spoiler:

Years
    • Seen May 9, 2024
    I thought the movie was enjoyable, however I felt these were the problems (baring in mind I have not yet read the books):

Spoiler:

- That's how they're supposed to look - utterly ridiculous. It's their sense of fashion, and what they believe to be beautiful: alterations to their bodies, different color skin, different color hair, wacky clothing.
    - Agreed
    - Katiness only ran dazed through the woods after the honeyjackers were dropped because they cause hallucinations and those types of effects.
    - Agreed
    - Agreed. In the books, that's a huge internal struggle for her, and it doesn't translate in the movie.
    - I don't like the name Katniss either.
    - The Hunger Games is last man standing, and that's the way it's always been. It's to show the districts that the Capitol has the power and scare them into not rebelling. The only time they change the way the game is played is at the Quarter Quells, which is every 25 years of Hunger Games. This was the 74th Hunger Games. The only reason they "changed" the rule was because of the way the citizens of the Capitol were responding to Peeta and Katniss's relationship.
    - The enemy is the Capitol. This is something that doesn't translate well to the movie, but Katniss despises them for what they do to the tributes and having a Hunger Games at all. This is touched more in the books, especially in Catching Fire and Mockingjay.
    - The Capitol was offended because they were outsmarted; they were outshown; by someone from a district.
    - It was rated T. They could have focused more on the actual killing, but they wanted a larger demographic and if they did that, they would have ended up with a rated R movie.

Years
    • UK
    • Seen Oct 17, 2023
    - That's how they're supposed to look - utterly ridiculous. It's their sense of fashion, and what they believe to be beautiful: alterations to their bodies, different color skin, different color hair, wacky clothing.
    - Agreed
    - Katiness only ran dazed through the woods after the honeyjackers were dropped because they cause hallucinations and those types of effects.
    - Agreed
    - Agreed. In the books, that's a huge internal struggle for her, and it doesn't translate in the movie.
    - I don't like the name Katniss either.
    - The Hunger Games is last man standing, and that's the way it's always been. It's to show the districts that the Capitol has the power and scare them into not rebelling. The only time they change the way the game is played is at the Quarter Quells, which is every 25 years of Hunger Games. This was the 74th Hunger Games. The only reason they "changed" the rule was because of the way the citizens of the Capitol were responding to Peeta and Katniss's relationship.
    - The enemy is the Capitol. This is something that doesn't translate well to the movie, but Katniss despises them for what they do to the tributes and having a Hunger Games at all. This is touched more in the books, especially in Catching Fire and Mockingjay.
    - The Capitol was offended because they were outsmarted; they were outshown; by someone from a district.
    - It was rated T. They could have focused more on the actual killing, but they wanted a larger demographic and if they did that, they would have ended up with a rated R movie.

I thought the first point might be how it was described in the books, but it was quite weird at first since I hadn't read them - since they came in a giant airship I was actually wondering if they were aliens or something ><.

Even though I didn't find the movie amazing I will be reading the book/s (come summer) since the idea is quite interesting, and I think I would prefer the fighting/killing scenes more since I can use a bit of imagination rather than squint at a screen trying to make heads and tails of what is happening! Haha.

Years
  • Overrated? Maybe. While I don't exactly think it's perfect, I found it to be an interesting and enjoyable read, and I'm working on the third and final book now.

I'm not too pleased with all the hype the movie has brought the series, though, but what can you do? That's usually what happens when a fairly unknown but successful series suddenly gets a movie adaptation.

Oryx

CoquettishCat
    Years
    • Age 31
    • Seen Jan 30, 2015
    Overrated? Maybe. While I don't exactly think it's perfect, I found it to be an interesting and enjoyable read, and I'm working on the third and final book now.

I'm not too pleased with all the hype the movie has brought the series, though, but what can you do? That's usually what happens when a fairly unknown but successful series suddenly gets a movie adaptation.

Unknown? I wouldn't call the books unknown at all. Yes, they weren't on the news (because the news only talks about movies, not books), but they were far from obscure.

Years
  • I thought the movie was enjoyable, however I felt these were the problems (baring in mind I have not yet read the books):

Spoiler:
    I really liked that they didn't use music in some scenes. It made it feel a lot more real and by extension dangerous. I feel like the movie was generally too "safe" (close up blurry violence, Katniss showing up the Capitol with her trick in such a seemingly easy way without repercussion) because the movie makers want to rake in the moola from having under-18s see it.

User19sq

I got discouraged at first to read it, but after giving it some deep though, I actually started enjoying it. Same thing with Black/White Kyurem formes. After you think about why they are what they are, they become cooler to you.

But if I had to say somethign else, I'd say...still a better love story than Twilight. /shot

Has enough action, violence, and f***ed-up concepts to make it a one-hit wonder.

Sydian

fake your death.
    Years
  • I wouldn't call this overrated at all. I barely hear a thing about it. It's popular, but no where near the status of Twilight and Harry Potter. Those are overrated. However, I do think The Hunger Games will grow to an overrated status. I might come back and say more on this later, because I'm doing a group project on this in my bio lab. Yeah don't ask.

Shining Raichu

Expect me like you expect Jesus.
    Years
  • I don't think it's overrated at all. I think when a book or film achieves a high level of fame, there will always be people who get annoyed by that and speak out against it to try and bring it down. It's the price anything pays for fame.

Karma Police

Arrest this man
    Years
    • Age 26
    • Seen Apr 21, 2024
    You see, I personally think no book should be able to get this much fame unless society has possibly dumbed down.

Why, I'd feel society has dumbed down when no book gets fame at all, it'd just show that either nobody is reading any more or there are no books worth talking about.

I wouldn't use the term overrated. Not everybody feels the same way. I found the concept and the characters quite interesting but when the whole Peeta-Katniss romance started towards the end I felt that it was transforming into a Twilight clone. But that's just the first book, I haven't seen the movie yet nor read the other 2 books.

What I feel is that a small percentage of the fanbase the series has is completely obsessed with the Hunger Games, and essentially trying to get everybody to like it no matter what. This was definitely an issue with Twilight imo, and I fear that this will eventually turn into a Twilight clone... which is something I don't really want. But that's just my opinion. The only reason I feel this way is because of the thousands of posts and groups about the Hunger Games I'm seeing on social Networking sites like Twitter and Facebook. :/

Atomic Pirate

I always win.
    Years
  • The Hunger Games reminds me of My Little Pony, fanbase-wise. The fanbases of both series are completely obsessed to the point of insanity, they try to shove their obsession down everyone else's throats, and they won't ever accept the fact that not everyone likes it.

Years
  • Why, I'd feel society has dumbed down when no book gets fame at all, it'd just show that either nobody is reading any more or there are no books worth talking about.
    I agree. Even if you concede the argument that people are reading a bad book at least they are reading something and that gives people something to think about, talk about, or just enjoy. Nothing wrong with enjoying something harmless.

BZW Golem

Conspirator~
    Years
  • Well.. as a 12 years old I read Battle Royale (the manga, not novel, I was not THAT mature xD).
    This made me look at The Hunger Games in a really different way..

I only watched the move, so If the book makes a difference - correct me.

The thing that made me WTF was..
    That the participants have no problems with accepting that they have to kill.
    Ok, maybe not completely no problem, but meh.. here they accept it to a degree where they let themselves be trained for the purpose of dying for someones amusement.
    They do it so calmly, there is no really deep explanation of their actions.. that It's weird.
    Really, I can't imagine a group of teenagers that let "the system" destroy their lives and do nothing about it..

I would probably die like the girls in Battle Royale that screamed for everyone to "not play the game" and got shoot by a machine gun >.>

Jarred0809

The Eternal Lurker
    Years
  • The Hunger Games reminds me of My Little Pony, fanbase-wise. The fanbases of both series are completely obsessed to the point of insanity, they try to shove their obsession down everyone else's throats, and they won't ever accept the fact that not everyone likes it.
    That could be said about practically any fanbase. Except maybe trees. I do think there are better books out there that could be the next big thing, but at least it is a decent story and not Twilight.

The thing that made me WTF was..
    That the participants have no problems with accepting that they have to kill.
    I always assumed that was because the games had been going on for years and everyone was just desensitized to the violence.

BZW Golem

Conspirator~
    Years
  • I always assumed that was because the games had been going on for years and everyone was just desensitized to the violence.

In Battle Royale "the game" was already there for many years also..
    the main differences are that:
    1. in Battle Royale is that they had less time to prepare and being or not being in "the program" was always a complete surprise.
    2. They were fighting with their classmates, so people they knew and had some stronger bonds with.

I just don't see that much emotions in The Hunger Games..
    I know that the people there are a bit more used to that.. but the difference in their "level" of emotions is just too big..

Just look at one scan (finding one without swearing, violence etc. that could show what I'm talking about was hard xD):
    Spoiler:

The guy is totally like "I don't want to but I have to kill you"

Back