• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Gaming PC vs. Console (PS4)

Years
    • Seen Feb 24, 2019
    So I am trying to get a job since I'm flying through school and possibly pay for a new console or a PC, but I am not sure what to get. I already have a 3DS, but if I get the money I want something to set up on the big screen.

A gaming PC has more power if you spend enough money, but the hardware is very expensive and requires upgrades after a couple years usually. The cheap games on steam sales make up for it, however.

The PS4 requires almost no maintenance and has a much cheaper price. The prices for games just don't match steam sales, but you could always get used games for 19.99 once they get cheaper which kind of makes up for it. I would rather play on a TV and not have to set controls for every new game.

What are your thoughts?

Satoshi Ookami

Memento Mori
    Years
    Hmm... hard to choose. Don't you consider PS3 at all?

PS4 library is by no means bad but it's REALLY small.
    It depends whether you want to invest into future playing or you want to play something right at the moment.
    In my opinion PS4 will be good to buy in 2 or 3 years after its gaming library grows.

Now for PC gaming.
    I'll objectively say that I don't like PC gaming but I'm not by any means biased in describing anything.
    PC gaming is objectively the best you can get in terms of graphics and performance. But as you yourself said, it requires periodical upgrades of HW to meet the needs of newest games.
    But on the other hand, you get Steam.

So... it solely depends on disadvantages of both systems.
    As Sony fan I would vote for PS4 but as I said, if you want immediate gaming, PS3 might even be better alternative.

Can you describe yourself as gamer? What kind of games do you like?

Yukari

That depends on what you want. A gaming computer gives you far more power and a much larger gaming library not to mention steam. Sure it needs periodical updates and is more expensive but most multiplatform games come out on the PC, you get steam which has those cheaper prices, you get more games then will ever come out on the PS4 not to mention that you won't have to wait for the library to expand. And just like the PS4, it's an investment.

The PS4 is an investment, and has a lower price tag. But the games are more expensive. And while it has a great library It's extremely small, but then again it has exclusives. But once the PS5 comes out it'll basically be obsolete.

So I would prefer to get a PC. That's my opinion though, and I know that people will disagree. But I'd be willing to put up with hardware updates really.

Cerberus87

Mega Houndoom, baby!
    Years
    I'd say Steam is a big downer in this comparison. PC games have always been cheaper than console games even before Steam. The advantage Steam has are the occasional sales, but really, I don't like the fact I don't own the game I'm buying. I understand DRM is there to prevent piracy, but, since I'm mostly an offline gamer, I'd rather pirate the game than buy it from Steam, or buy a DRM-free alternative (in the case of old games, GOG works).

Sadly, smaller developers are even more paranoid about piracy than the big ones, so all of them are going to Steam and DRM-locking their games. Ironic, since they're less vulnerable to piracy as their dedicated fanbase usually buys their games instead of pirating them.

A PC doesn't require frequent updates if you're able to futureproof effectively, but a good rig is damn expensive compared to a console which will still run a game released 6 years from now since usually the only things upgraded on new versions of a console are storage systems.

Finally, while it's true that most multiplatform games come to PC as well as consoles, truth stands that the games are primarily developed for consoles, so the PC versions are just console ports and usually have more bugs that developers never care to fix because as soon as they release their latest game they're already working on their next one.

On the other hand, when a game is developed with the PC in mind, it usually exploits graphic enhancements and performance optimizations to the fullest, and the best performance will be on a PC. Such cases are rare, though.

I'm with Satoshi that the PS3 is a better short-term investment.

Years
    • Seen Mar 2, 2017
    PC gaming hands down. Why? Mods. You can't really mod a console game, but anything on the PC is usually better because I download boatloads of mods and can make my games so much better than the console versions of the same game.

The Sky rim on my PC is nothing like on the Xbox or PS4, I have free DLC that would ideally go for $20 for free through skyrimnexus that were huge projects that required thousands of voluntary man hours to create. My L4D2 looks so much better with mods than it does on the Xbox especially after redoing sprites, skins and sounds for a much more immersive experience.

I wasn't even excited about GTA V coming out for the Xbox because I knew once I had it on PC with a couple mods it would be way better than whatever the Xbox guys are playing.

PCs are more expensive but they're infinitely better than console gaming. I also got an Xbox controller for my PC so I can play third person shooters like GTA V, I also make money on a daily basis from my PC playing online poker.

Satoshi Ookami

Memento Mori
    Years
    PC gaming hands down. Why? Mods. You can't really mod a console game, but anything on the PC is usually better because I download boatloads of mods and can make my games so much better than the console versions of the same game.

The Sky rim on my PC is nothing like on the Xbox or PS4, I have free DLC that would ideally go for $20 for free through skyrimnexus that were huge projects that required thousands of voluntary man hours to create. My L4D2 looks so much better with mods than it does on the Xbox especially after redoing sprites, skins and sounds for a much more immersive experience.

I wasn't even excited about GTA V coming out for the Xbox because I knew once I had it on PC with a couple mods it would be way better than whatever the Xbox guys are playing.

PCs are more expensive but they're infinitely better than console gaming. I also got an Xbox controller for my PC so I can play third person shooters like GTA V, I also make money on a daily basis from my PC playing online poker.
    Why are you using something as crappy as XBox as a base for your statement?
    OP is asking for comparison between PC and PS4, not PC and console PC.

Razer302

Three Days Grace - Break
    Years
    Personally I would go with PC, I used to be a huge console gamer in previous generations but now I much prefer to play on the PC. You can do everything on a PC and even though you miss out on some games unless your a huge fan and its worth buying a console for. I would go with a gaming PC.

Plus its easier to use chat features on a PC in my opinion than using Consoles, Xbox isn't that bad but sony has always had bad Talk options in my opinion.

Morkula

[b][color=#356F93]Get in the Game[/color][/b]
    Years
    Honestly? A good gaming PC is so far ahead of the new consoles even this early in the gen, and the gulf is only going to expand as the generation goes on. Plus, despite the higher initial investment and the need to do upgrades and what not, PC gaming as a whole is likely cheaper than console gaming because Steam sales can get you hundreds of games for as little as a dollar or two, and even big name titles go for as little as a couple bucks.

That said, there are quite a few console exclusive series that you're going to miss out on if you go PC-only (Kingdom Hearts, Final Fantasy, Tales, Uncharted, Infamous, Halo, and a host of others), and unfortunately a lot of PC ports of multiplatform games get the short end of the stick and are really slap-happy and second-rate. So it's a double-edged sword. Ideally you would have both since there are some great PC exclusives as well, and some genres just don't work on a console like RTSes. But if you're trying to pick one, it really all boils down to your tastes - are you willing to sacrifice being able to play console exclusive games and have to deal with upgrades and the like, or would you rather take a hit to graphics and pay a little more for games but have access to those exclusives and not have to deal with upgrades?

Another option would be to just wait. Neither PS4 or Xbox One are worth owning right now and likely won't be until the end of the year at the very earliest. If you never owned one, why not get a PS3 or a 360 and catch up on what you missed last gen? There are tons of great games that are available for a relatively cheap price on those systems at this point, and since the new consoles aren't backwards compatible, you'd miss out on those by buying one.

New Eden

Ascension to heaven
    Years
    I'd say wait until E3 and see what happens. Getting a PC right now would only be thinking with the short term because we barely have any idea what's in store for the new consoles. Personally I'm a PC gamer, but I plan on getting a PS4 sometime within the next year in the event that my eyes fancy something I see for it.

Chocolate™

Awesome Dragon
    Years
    I would recommend the Gaming PC. Sure, it has a lot of disadvantages in terms of money and that kind of stuff but at the end of the day it's worth it. Almost all the games released on Xbox and Playstations come out on PCs. Plus it has a large range of games to choose from. It also has the advantage of many other features such as better network connection, etc.

I would recommend that you buy the PS4 in about 2-3 years as by then the amount of games would have increased. Also by then you would have been able to earn a bit more money and so you will be able top buy the PS4 also.

Cerberus87

Mega Houndoom, baby!
    Years
    PC dos have the advantage of mods but that largely depends on the games you're gonna play. If you want to play Skyrim, then the PC is better for sure. But DLC is killing mods.

New Eden

Ascension to heaven
    Years
    I wouldn't say that. Mods generally do all the junk that you dreamed you could have in the original game.

I would say where PC gaming might not suit someone is if fighting games, JRPGs, or of games by some devs that port their games very poorly on PC are their cup of tea. I wouldn't say cost would be much of an issue unless you want the very best or go total penny-pincher (a $600 system should last you for a little while before you need to upgrade.)

Satoshi Ookami

Memento Mori
    Years
    I would say where PC gaming might not suit someone is if fighting games, JRPGs, or of games by some devs that port their games very poorly on PC are their cup of tea. I wouldn't say cost would be much of an issue unless you want the very best or go total penny-pincher (a $600 system should last you for a little while before you need to upgrade.)
    I would say that those who play JRPGs don't even think of buying PC =D
    Plus... JRPG players would surely go for PS3 =D
    You are right about fighters, though.
    But... considering PS4 library, there aren't that many fighters...

Almost all the games released on Xbox and Playstations come out on PCs.
    Come on again? Almost all?
    Maybe in XBox's case, but PS has considerable list of exclusives.

Sonata

Don't let me disappear
    Years
    PC gaming really opens a game up to all kinds of opportunities, but then there's people like me who even with that knowledge physically and mentally can't play games on pc. Like I have trouble playing simple games like Runescape. Trying to add much more to that just makes my head explode so I prefer playing on console even if it does restrict what you can do.

Back