• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

How much do you Value Storylines?

Years
    • Age 29
    • Seen May 11, 2023
    Storylines are important to me, but I do value the actual gameplay a lot higher than the story surrounding it. The only games I've ever played just for their story is the Grandia series because they're always incredibly well told games, but in general I'm more than content with a standard "hero saves the world" story if it means I get to kill cool new monsters in interesting ways. I guess it just depends on the type of game it is haha.

Chocolate™

Awesome Dragon
    Years
    Stories play an integral part in many video games like LOZ and such. I value the storyline the most among all the components of a video game. However I forgive it in games like Mario and Pokemon where the story gets repetitive so many times.

Harmonious Fusion

over the rainbow, there's a glorious sight
    Years
    I love a good storyline, but it's not always important. I don't like when a story is shoehorned into a game that doesn't really need one (lots and lots of puzzle games come to mind). And if the gameplay is excellent, as is the case with Pokemon, I can forgive a lackluster plot as long as it's not so bad that it sounds like a 13 year-old's first fanfic.

With the exception of most RPGs, I usually buy a game for its gameplay, and consider a good story to be an added bonus.

Arsenic

[div=font-size: 18px; font-family: 'Kaushan script
    Years
    The only thing I value anymore in video games is story, at least with AAA games. Why? Because the gameplay is trying to copy the CoD formula in most games now that every game plays the same.

Exceptions of course are games like Gmod, Skyrim, Minecraft, etc...

TRIFORCE89

Guide of Darkness
    Years
    It depends on the game. If it's supposed to be story-centric, say like an RPG, if I don't care about what's going on it's a really chore to sit through so many cutscenes.

If there is a focus on the story, then I want to be invested in it.

No or minor focus, I don't care if the plot is just bookends

Midorikawa

Ryuusei Trainer
    Years
    I love a good story to a game, however a story is useless if the game is boring. If the game is good then I can play it over and over, however a good story makes the game all the much better.

Back