• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Changing beliefs

The Void

hiiiii
    Years
    If you're religious, what would it take to abandon your beliefs in your God/gods?
    If you're irreligious, what would it take to completely convince you to believe in a God?

Discuss.

Corvus of the Black Night

Wild Duck Pokémon
    Years
    I would need invariable evidence to show that a supreme force existed in a specific manner to affiliate myself with any particular religion. As it stands right now, I'm spiritual but not religious, and that's willing to change if the world proves it otherwise.

Sage Ebock

Squirtle Squad 4 life
    Years
    I would believe in any religion if its predictions came true 100% or if something global occurred that was both catastrophic and amazing.

I would lose faith if I ever figured out how to do anything on the level of miracle. If I bring you back from the dead, are you going to call me a liar, or hang on my every word about how I did it?

Tek

Years
    I do so love religious discussions. One thing that absolutely must be clarified before we can a meaningful discussion on God/Spirit/Mystery is what we mean when we say God. I'm going to summarize a passage from the book 'Integral Life Practice' by listing several of the things that are the words "Spirit" and "spirituality" are used to mean.

1: Spirit can refer to the ultimate identity of all things, the Source or Ground of being.

2: Spirit can refer to the conscious energy of life, the current that moves and manifests all beings, phenomena, forces, and events.

3: Spirituality can be an attitude or set of qualities, including kindness, generosity, benevolence, equanimity, openness, compassion, and joyfulness.

4: Spirituality can refer to a specific line of development, as in "spiritual growth" or "spiritual maturity".

5: Spirituality can refer to specific states of awareness, such as those experienced during meditation or prayer.

6: Spirituality is sometimes used to refer to the highest level of development in any line (cognitive, kinesthetic, interpersonal, etc) of development. When Michael Jordan played basketball at his most intense and brilliant, he manifested a fierce, masterful, and transcendent way of playing that seemed superhuman. Some people described it as spiritual.

To this list, I would add that when some say Spirit, or God, they refer to a being - a divine Other - who is generally considered to be responsible for the universe and in direct conscious control of it. Which, I gather, is the meaning that is used in the original post. And which, as we can see, is far and away from being the only or even the most important meaning of the word God.

To indirectly answer the first post, I'm going to remind everyone that "God is dead." Most of us have heard that phrase, but I don't think very many understand what it is supposed to mean. I didn't know myself until pretty recently. It would be more accurately stated that "The metaphysical God is dead," and what that means is that authority and metaphysical assumptions are no longer the most important source of truth in the modern world. They have been supplanted by scientific inquiry, by logic and reasoning (which have been supplanted by pluralism and relativism, but that's another discussion).

Correct me if I'm wrong, but when I read those two questions in the original post, I hear the same thing: a call for metaphysics, or assertions without evidence. As in "What could someone say to you to change your mind?" What if, instead of debating whether it was raining or not, and presenting metaphysical arguments for and against - what if we went to the window and looked?

I do not believe in God. I experience God. And if you want to know whether there is really an Ultimate Ground of Being, or if all things are indeed a single unity, with no separation between any thing or event in the entire universe, what you must do is take an injunction and then report what phenomena appear.

Don't take my word for it that your awareness is infinite, that all things are arising within you. Take up a meditative practice (and stick with it, because it's not something that can be learned overnight) and see what you find. You can get a taste of infinity right now, though, even if only temporarily. Here's another passage from the works of Ken Wilber, which in turn is inspired by Vedanta:

"Notice first of all the broad, distinguishing marks of the transcendent self: it is a center and expanse of awareness that is creatively detached from one's personal mind, body, emotions, thoughts, and feelings. So if you would like to begin to work at intuiting this transcendent self within you that goes beyond you, the You that is not you, then proceed as follows.

Slowly begin to recite the following to yourself, trying to realize as vividly as possible the import of each statement:

I have a body, but I am not my body. I can see and feel my body, and what can be seen and felt is not the Seer. My body may be tired or excited, sick or healthy, heavy or light, but that has nothing to do with my inward I. I have a body, but I am not my body.

I have desires, but I am not my desires. I can know my desires, and what can be known is not the Knower. Desires come and go, floating through my awareness, but they do not affect my inward I. I have a desires but I am not desires.

I have emotions, but I am not my emotions. I can sense and feel my emotions, and what can be sensed and felt is not the Feeler. Emotions pass through me, but that does not affect my inward I. I have emotions, but I am not my emotions.

I have thoughts, but I am not my thoughts. I can know and intuit my thoughts, and what can be known is not the Knower. Thoughts come to me and leave me, but they do not affect my inward I. I have a thoughts, but I am not my thoughts.

This done - perhaps several times - one then affirms, as concretely as possible: I am what remains, a pure center of awareness, an unmoved witness of all these thoughts, emotions, feelings, and desires."

This can be summarized fairly easily. In your concrete and felt experience, all things - including your own thoughts and the entire manifest universe - are arising as objects in your awareness. Since you are something other than these things, since you are aware of them, you must therefore be something vast enough to contain all of time and space.

This part of you is the Witness, the Divine from the 1st person perspective, because it is infinite and ultimately beyond any description. And the final truth, present even now in your direct experience, is that the Seer is nothing other than all things seen. And this is what I understand God/Spirit/Mystery to be. It can be pointed out by saying what it is not, but even to say "It is everything" does not describe it, for that implies a "nothing" that it is not - and then it wouldn't be everything.

Here we have departed fully from "belief", and from metaphysics. After you have felt the Infinite, there is nothing that can be said one way or another to change the experience. It is unmistakable, and unforgettable.

Last edited:

Oryx

CoquettishCat
    Years
    • Age 31
    • Seen Jan 30, 2015
    [redacted]

Tek, you touched on the definition of God, but didn't delve too far into it; I feel it's incredibly important to nail down the definition that we are talking about. When we hear the word "God", most people immediately jump to the Judeo-Christian God, all-good, all-knowing, and that created everything and still creates everything that exists. This is not the God that you encounter when you start from a philosophical perspective; generally the first god you encounter is the god that made the first thing, from which everything else flows. Like the man that created a factory machine, that then goes on to automatically create a part on its own.

Then we get into the idea of God being good and loving human beings, which philosophically isn't a given - there's no reason why a God has to exist that is completely good, and no reason why God has to love humans or other creatures.

But this circles back to the initial question, which is what an atheist or areligious person would need to believe that there is any god. Not the all-good, omniscient/omnipotent God, but any god whatsoever. If we define god as the first cause, would the Big Bang be God? If we go by "traditional" definitions of God, the only thing that would change my opinion would be death. And, if the Judeo-Christian God is so all-good and all-merciful as the religious claim he is, he would understand my viewpoint and allow me time to come to believe in him in the afterlife before sending me off to burn eternally for being too logical.

Last edited:

Tek

Years
    When we hear the word "God", most people immediately jump to the Judeo-Christian God, all-good, all-knowing, and that created everything and still creates everything that exists. This is not the God that you encounter when you start from a philosophical perspective; generally the first god you encounter is the god that made the first thing, from which everything else flows. Like the man that created a factory machine, that then goes on to automatically create a part on its own.

But this circles back to the initial question, which is what an atheist or areligious person would need to believe that there is any god. Not the all-good, omniscient/omnipotent God, but any god whatsoever. If we define god as the first cause, would the Big Bang be God? If we go by "traditional" definitions of God, the only thing that would change my opinion would be death.

I think we can make a further distinction by talking about three standpoints in relating to God. These are the 1st-person, 2nd-person, and 3rd-person, or the I, You/We, and It.

In the Bible, Jesus demonstrated these three perspectives by speaking as God, speaking to God, and speaking about God. The statement "I am God, but God is also greater than me," comes from this three-perspective understanding. I would add that Jesus considered himself the example, and not the exception. There really is some subversive stuff in there when you don't water it down with traditional interpretations.

I think we can categorize a First Cause as an it-object, a 3rd-person God. Gaia is another, as is the great Web of Existence, the beautiful metaphorical image from Eastern tradition of the universe as a network of crystals, each containing the reflection of all the others. The Tao is a 3rd-person understanding of God.

And I think there is a hidden spirituality among atheists: I've seen many on FB posting quotes from Carl Sagan or other astronomers about how we are all stardust, and how the atoms of our bodies will outlive our unique bodyminds. There is a distinct sense of wonder and awe at the unimaginable complexity of the universe and its functioning, and there is a perception of a grand existence much greater than we can understand.

I would say that these people already believe in God, not as a Thou or Other, and not as a divine Self, but as a great Mystery, a Web of Being. Which would make the original question moot for many. You find this same type of "It-spirituality" among quantum physicists.

Then we get into the idea of God being good and loving human beings, which philosophically isn't a given - there's no reason why a God has to exist that is completely good, and no reason why God has to love humans or other creatures.

And, if the Judeo-Christian God is so all-good and all-merciful as the religious claim he is, he would understand my viewpoint and allow me time to come to believe in him in the afterlife before sending me off to burn eternally for being too logical.

You're diving deep into metaphysical assumptions here, and that simply will not do in the post/modern world. The reason why Jesus' understanding of God is so much different from the understanding of those around him, and even of those who live today, is partly because his understanding was grounded in experience and not in theories or assumptions. He experienced God, and what he concretely felt was an infinite, boundless, unconditional love for everyone and everything.

Jesus' teachings which have been pretty thoroughly mangled over the years. But when you read the non-canonical book The Gospel of Thomas, you can begin to see these teachings in a way that is free from traditional metaphysical baggage. Which is partly because the writer eschews tradition from the start, in favor of deeper truths. In this book, Jesus' saying seem to be intended to 'snap!' the reader out of all theoretical concepts and into a direct experience of the world, much like the Zen masters of the East.

The other reason that Jesus' understanding of God was different, and this is really very important, is that Jesus did not have a mythic-membership or traditional worldview. Jesus was not even at the rational or pluralistic level. It can be shown pretty clearly that Jesus' worldview was integral or deeper. And the reason that the punishing, vengeful, image of God is still around today is that there are still - and always will be - people at the warrior and traditional levels. Even when people have an altered-state experience of love and unity, when they return to their normal state of consciousness, that experience is going to be interpreted according to that person's worldview.

A lot of what appears to be conflict between religious and non-religious folk is actually conflict between pre-rational and rational or post-rational worldviews. Each worldview has is own truth claim, and when we seem to argue whether religion is right or science is right, usually we are actually arguing whether tradition and authority determine what is true, or whether logic and reasoning determine what is true.

I think it should be obvious at this point that religion exists on the same developmental spectrum as everything else, from warrior to mythic to rational and beyond (which I say using myself as an example of thoroughly non-traditional Christianity). And before we judge the traditional worldview too harshly for not being modern, we ought to remember how we got to modernity in the first place. From Wilber's 'Integral Spirituality':

"... about 50,000 years ago, the magenta value structure (magical-animistic) was about the highest that humanity had evolved at that time. But certain highly evolved individuals began to push into new and creative modes of being and knowing, and they began making responses from a higher level of complexity and consciousness. As more and more individuals shared those responses, the red value structure (egocentric, power) began to be laid down as a Kosmic habit. The more it was laid down, the more fixed it became.

Around 10,000 BCE, as the red value structure dominated humanity's responses [to its environment], a few heroic individuals began pushing into a response that involved more consciousness, more awareness, more complexity - and the amber value structure (absolutistic, ethnocentric) began to be laid down for the first time.

In terms of worldviews, this move from red magic to amber mythic involved the creation of extensive systems of mythology that, whatever else they did, allowed the creation of much more complex social systems. Magic could only unify, or socially unite, humans based on blood-lineage and kinship ties. Unless you were related to me by blood, there was no way we could create a "we," and thus, at magic, tribes could not be united with each other socially or culturally.

But one of the functions of myths is that, in claiming to be descended from a God not of blood and genetics but of values and beliefs, mythology could unite vast numbers of humans and nonkinship tribes if they all adopted belief in the same mythic God: everybody can believe in that God, even if they are not blood-related."

Even today, mythology - or shared values and beliefs - have the greatest power to unite the tribes that exist in the third world, and the street gangs of urban society. Mythology is the necessary first step to rationality. That is the path set forth by thousands of years of Kosmic habit. Trying to get to reason without myth is like cutting off your legs in an attempt to fly.

I know this post is already lengthy, but in light of the meaning and function of myth, I want to touch on something very quickly. There is a common theme in the responses to the two questions in the first post, and that theme is "show us the evidence". The rational mind puts evidence and scientific inquiry above myth and authority, which allows people of varying mythological traditions to find common ground, in much the same way that shared beliefs and values are uniting the tribes of today.

Last edited:

BadPokemon

Child of Christ
    Years
    My faith in God and what I believe in would never be destroyed. It falters, will falter and be challenged, but I always have God on my side. I can speak to my pastor or elder about my problems and pray with them (and alone). There is just too much evidence for God that I can't deny God. So no, I'm never going to change beliefs!

Oryx

CoquettishCat
    Years
    • Age 31
    • Seen Jan 30, 2015
    My faith in God and what I believe in would never be destroyed. It falters, will falter and be challenged, but I always have God on my side. I can speak to my pastor or elder about my problems and pray with them (and alone). There is just too much evidence for God that I can't deny God. So no, I'm never going to change beliefs!

You mentioned in your deleted post that you're born-again, right? This is actually really relevant to the thread - what caused you to become a born-again Christian? What was the conversion like and how did you discover your evidence for God? How difficult was it for you to change your mind?

BadPokemon

Child of Christ
    Years
    You mentioned in your deleted post that you're born-again, right? This is actually really relevant to the thread - what caused you to become a born-again Christian? What was the conversion like and how did you discover your evidence for God? How difficult was it for you to change your mind?

Everyone is born with a sin-nature and is spiritually dead. Because of this, there is no way to have a relationship with God and go to Heaven. To achieve this, you must truly believe what Jesus did, and have faith in Him. Once you believe, you are born again. You are spiritually alive! Jesus had died on the cross for our sins and defeated it so we could be with Him! God pulled me in at a young age and I believed through Gods grace! It was at a Bible camp. Something just clicked and I stayed behind after chapel to pray with some of the people who ran the camp. It was a amazing. Later in life, I began researching proof for God and stuff. This built up my faith and here I am. Lee Strobel is the guy who was an atheist and went out to disprove God and Christianity and now he believes. It was truly the work of God. There is too much evidence not to believe. I don't really have conversations with God. It works in a different way. (I will in Heaven). I may not understand something and need some answers. God will "intervene" and maybe the pastor will have a sermon about it or I'll read the Bible and there the answer is.

This a true story. A teenage girl was having problems (I think she was a teenager) and had many suicidal thoughts. She was planning to kill herself the next Sunday or Monday. Her grandmother came over (with no knowledge of this) and asked her to go to church. Eventually, the grandmother convinced the girl to go. One of the first words the pastor said was, "there is a suicidal spirit in the room". That day the girl put her faith in God.

If I want a million dollars and a great job to sustain a mansion and I ask God, he will have an answer. Sometimes it is no and sometimes it's yes. In this case, it's probably a no because it isn't part of Gods plan for me. God will give me a feeling and I'll know some of His plans for me. Does that make since to you? I'll be glad to answer more questions. Do you need a more thorough answer?

Tek

Years
    Everyone is born with a sin-nature and is spiritually dead. Because of this, there is no way to have a relationship with God and go to Heaven. To achieve this, you must truly believe what Jesus did, and have faith in Him. Once you believe, you are born again. You are spiritually alive! Jesus had died on the cross for our sins and defeated it so we could be with Him!

There are a lot of interesting similarities and differences between your story and mine, some of which don't really relate to the questions at hand. I'm going to take this in the direction of "why do you believe what you do?" if you're game, and if it's at least close enough to the topic to be allowed.

Also, I'm not picking on you - I'm asking you since your beliefs are so much different from the others in this discussion.

You mention a sin nature that everyone has, which is actually a premise that is common to every major world religion that I'm aware of. So I'd ask, what is a sin nature? How do you know that people have it?

For discussion, I'll state my view on sin nature, and how I reached this view. It requires also that I state my views on Heaven and Hell, and the divinity of man.

I've had a few, very few, experiences of blissful union: a oneness with everything, in which I saw and felt that there were no parts anywhere, only an endless and timeless Whole. It is primarily because of this experience that I hold Heaven and Hell to exist in the present moment, and not in an afterlife. I feel obligated to point out that I'm not the first to come up with this idea. I have heard it said that Hell is not a place of punishment in the future, but distance from God in the present moment.

And this leads into the idea of a sin nature. The normal way of thinking is that we are strangers in this world, alien to the universe in the sense that we are always at war with our surroundings, we always seem to be "conquering" nature. But if you look closely, we don't come in to this world, we grow out of it. Given this insight, and my experience of unity, I consider sin to be the illusion of separateness, and salvation to be awakening, the act of sacred remembrance in which you re-discover who and what you truly are.

My other question follows from the first, in a way. I'm going to make an inference here; it appears to me that you believe that Christianity is the only path to salvation. Why do you think that way (if you think that way)? Again, I'll present my views and how I reached them.

I say that this question follows from the first, because awakening (aka salvation in my book) can and does happen to anyone, anywhere, at any time, and often for no reason at all! Of course, nearly all awakenings are short-lived. It is exceedingly rare to hear of someone who woke up and was forever changed. Which is not to say it doesn't happen, Eckhart Tolle is a modern example of complete and instant awakening.

This leads me to two conclusions. First, I hold it to be true that other religions traditions are also valid, because awakening can occur within any tradition, or even no tradition (and I'm rather certain Jesus would agree with me). The second is that because awakening is so often temporary, and because even after an awakening the illusion of separateness continues to dominate a person's life, that what is key to salvation is practice.

To have real spiritual growth takes years of honest effort, which is why I object to the notion of merely saying "I believe" and thinking you're done. To quote Ken Wilber again, "That's like smoking for twenty years and then saying, 'Sorry, I quit.' That will not impress cancer."

Before we get into a misunderstanding, I gather that for you personally, declaring belief was the first step on what is now your journey of practice within the Christian faith. Though I could be wrong, you know how assumptions go...

twocows

The not-so-black cat of ill omen
    Years
    Scientific consensus is the driving force behind what I believe. I'm no expert on the issue, but there are millions of brilliant people with a broad pool of information to base their theories on, and nearly all of them agree on several key points, such as evolution. There's more debate about how things went further back, the origin of the universe and such, but even then, we've established some good theories with some reasonable evidence, so I'm willing to believe what science has theorized has a better chance of being true than alternative, mostly unsupported theories.

Yes, there's never certainty, we don't know for sure about any of this, and I couldn't defend any of these positions more than superficially. But at some point, you have to trust that the people out there who have been working all their lives with other similar people to figure these issues out are probably pretty well-informed and, if not right, at least coming up with some darn good ideas. Moreover, scientists can explain their methods and conclusions and theories if you ask them. I trust the scientific community, which comes to its conclusions by the scientific method, a lot more than I trust religious leaders, who come to their conclusions based on what they were told growing up.

What it would take for me to believe in something like a higher power is pretty simple: consensus within the scientific community that this was what happened, or at least a reasonable explanation for what happened. Right now, consensus is that this is not a reasonable explanation for what happened.

Ivysaur

Grass dinosaur extraordinaire
    Years
    I'm in Twocows' boat here. I'll only believe in mechanisms that can be properly explained and do not require breaking the laws of logic or using magic nobody has been capable of replicating. I don't want somebody to tell me to have "faith" or to "believe", I want to be given a point-by-point explanation of what, when, how and why X happened, with only "worldy" elements involved, since those are the only ones whose existence I can see by myself.

lozzop

Monkey slut!
    Years
    Well I grew up Catholic, believing in God from the bible basically, because I went to a Catholic school and had Protestant parents and went to church every Sunday for about 7-8 years, it was a whole thing. When I went to secondary school I decided I was agnostic, I never quite believed in a God, but at the same time i didn't completely disregard an existence in a god, a being greater then ourselves. More recently I decided I was Atheist, in that I don't think there is a God, a Heaven or a Hell.

To convince me there was a god I would have to have a first-hand religious experience, actually perceive God for myself, not based on what other people have taught me is true. I would have to be able to either see or hear God, otherwise, and I don't want to offend anybody here, without this proof I would never believe in a god, because there is no evidence, it's just a fairytale, to me. A lot of arguments I hear are, you can't prove there is no God though, well, to quote Chris Colfer, you also can't prove that there isn't a purple leprechaun on the dark side of the moon shooting lightening out of it's boobs.

That's basically my entire religious experience summarised from birth to now :p

Years
    Atheist here id believe in God if id see him face to face while not being asleep or under any drugs or drunk
    But then again cant be sure about it since i could be experiencing hallucinations...
    or me being just insane and seeing things
    oh well

The Void

hiiiii
    Years
    Atheist here id believe in God if id see him face to face while not being asleep or under any drugs or drunk
    But then again cant be sure about it since i could be experiencing hallucinations...
    or me being just insane and seeing things
    oh well

I remember Richard Dawkins saying he'd believe in God if he saw a giant Jesus floating in front of him or something. Then Cardinal Pell made a joke about him hallucinating.

BadPokemon

Child of Christ
    Years
    I remember Richard Dawkins saying he'd believe in God if he saw a giant Jesus floating in front of him or something. Then Cardinal Pell made a joke about him hallucinating.

That way of thinking doesn't get you anywhere. I have never "seen" Europe, but that doesn't mean there isn't a whole continent called Europe. There are "clues"- textbooks, maps, news, etc. That is also like thinking: I have to be hit by a bus to know it hurts.

Jesus and God are one with the Holy Spirit. It can't be disproven, but I think it can be proven.

twocows

Years
    That way of thinking doesn't get you anywhere. I have never "seen" Europe, but that doesn't mean there isn't a whole continent called Europe. There are "clues"- textbooks, maps, news, etc. That is also like thinking: I have to be hit by a bus to know it hurts.

Jesus and God are one with the Holy Spirit. It can't be disproved, but I think it can be proven.
    It can't be "disproved" because every time we disprove it, the goalposts are moved a few hundred yards further down the field. By definition, modern religious theories are the stuff of fantasy; they have to be or we'd just debunk them. But you can't disprove something that is inherently immeasurable, so that's what all modern gods are.

I'm fine with people believing whatever they choose to believe and I don't try to push my own rationalist beliefs on them if they don't want to hear it. I don't see the harm in religion; it's a force of good for a lot of people and that's great. But please don't try to pass religion off as something that's just as credible as any other theory. Religion has very little, if any, credibility in the science world, and this goes doubly for any particular brand of religion. Religious theory just doesn't have sufficient evidence to support its main assertions; it almost never holds up under peer review. If there was a religious theory that did manage to gain traction in the scientific community, I'm pretty sure we'd all hear about it; it'd be big news. I mean, what could possibly be a bigger headline than "literal God particle found?"

No, if you believe in something, it should be despite the lack of evidence. After all, "faith" is a well-established part of a lot of religions. If there was sufficient evidence, you wouldn't really need to have faith, now would you?

PokemonLeagueChamp

Traveling Hoenn once more.
    Years
    Honestly, I think this hits the nail on the head. I feel like some people still wouldn't believe even if God himself popped up in front of them in some form and said "Hey genius, I exist", and they would go on thinking it was a vivid hallucination unless their mind was suddenly altered to realize that what they saw was real.

That being said, I've been getting pretty agnostic of late. The Bible isn't helpful, as its messages about God are far too contradictory to make sense(plus, if he/she/it was anything like portrayed in the Bible, we'd have probably been annihilated by divine flame by now). However, science isn't helpful either. Yeah, it can try to explain the chemical processes going on in my brain or write up laws of physics to explain the observable world, but it can't explain where in those chemical processes thought suddenly appears, nor does science have a better explanation for anything existing other than "it just does"(or that the components of the big bang were "just there" and made the universe "because they could"), which is not a very scientific conclusion and throws causality out the window.

About the only way I'd believe with full certainty is a personal experience when I am fully lucid. I'm not exactly into the practice of taking hallucinogenics, so the likelihood of my seeing things that aren't there in waking hours is pretty low.

As for me disbelieving with full certainty, well, I really don't think that's possible. Beings that exist, such as ourselves, will probably never have a full grasp of how or why the existence that we live in is here. How or why any of that is there, nobody truly knows 100%, not even the religious. Every "debate"/argument I've seen on the origins of everything has just been circular straw-manning and ad hominem for pages on end with nobody getting any closer to any real answer and everyone just feeling angry about it. Ultimately, we'll either know, or else we'll be dead and none of it mattered.

On a sidenote, the more I look into views on these topics that are strictly "materialist" or "rationalist", the more they all seem to be just nihilism by a different name.

twocows

Years
    On a sidenote, the more I look into views on these topics that are strictly "materialist" or "rationalist", the more they all seem to be just nihilism by a different name.
    You should explain what you mean here, since I just mentioned that I consider what I believe to be rationalist and I certainly don't consider myself nihilist (quite the opposite, really; nihilists seem to believe nothing matters and I believe almost everything we do matters).

Sopheria

響け〜 響け!
    Years
    I'm not religious at all, but I'm open minded and willing to believe anything as long as I see proof and evidence for it.

I was raised as a Christian (I'm not sure what denomination), and I was a pretty strong believer in it for most of my life. It's probably because I was really sheltered and was never really around people who believed differently from me. When I got to college I met people of different religions, and even people of different denominations of Christianity. I always assumed that all those people were just wrong, but then meeting all those different people made me realize, they're no different from me. They believe what they believe just as strongly as I believe what I believe, and there's really nothing special about my particular belief system or religion (at least not from what I could see at the time). So I set out to figure out which religion and denomination is the true one (or ones, because more than one of them could be right), and I couldn't find any proof or evidence that any of them is true. So...I stopped believing.

One thing that I am convinced of with relative confidence is that if there is a true religion, none of them have it 100% correct. Nothing is perfect, after all. And I mean, if there is a god, what chance do we humans have of understanding its nature? It would exist on an entirely different plane of existence from us, beyond our comprehension. But of course, I can't be certain of that either :P

Back