• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Don't Starve!

Necrum

I AM THE REAL SONIC
    Years
    Don't Starve!

So, recently, I've been playing a lot of Don't Starve. For those of you who don't know, Don't Starve is a Sandbox Survival game available for Windows, Mac, Linux, and Playstation 4. It's been almost a year now since it's initial release and an expansion pack is on it's way right now.

In Don't Starve, you take the role of Wilson, the Gentleman Scientist. Wilson has been tricked by an evil entity known as Maxwell into creating a door to another world. Wilson is trapped in that world and has to find several parts in order to escape, or simply survive as long as possible through Hounds, Tallbirds, Charlie (the monster in the darkness), Winter, and of course, Starvation, all while keeping his sanity in tact. All of this is presented in a beautifully unique style which is both cartoony and grim, resulting in a very twisted game.

Needless to say this game has joined the ranks of my favorite games of all time, so I thought I would make this thread to see if anyone else out there is playing it, and maybe we can talk about our survival stories and records.

So far my personal record is 63 days without dying.

Years
    • Age 29
    • Seen May 16, 2024
    I loved this game! I last played many updates ago though (the one with caves and spelunking, I believe) so I'm not too caught up with what's been going on, since they add something new every month.

My save file is at 149 days - once you got your little base set up it's not too difficult to stay alive. I was in a bit of a rut though, and I think that's why I stopped playing; I had explored the entire map and built all the things I wanted, so it was just getting a little boring. Perhaps I'll start over with a new file.

Who's your favorite character? I think mine is still Wilson, just love his design, "voice" and weird dialogue. And that glorious beard. I know they've added a few since I last played, though, maybe I'll change my mind soon.

Necrum

I AM THE REAL SONIC
    Years
    There actually hasn't been any added content since October, but as I said, an expansion is about to come out which adds Spring and Fall to the game, as well as Giants and new characters.

Wilson is definitely cool. I tried playing as Willow once, and while it was pretty easy to get started with the free fire source, I found that managing her sanity was extremely difficult since it was much lower than Wilson's. Other than that I have only played as a Mod character based on Yogscast Sips who has some let's plays of the game. He's pretty much just like playing Wilson except I don't get the benefit of a beard and instead have a free Chester.

Necrum

I AM THE REAL SONIC
    Years
    Omgee! I've had this game since the summer-ish but haven't played for a long time. Really need to get back into it because the graphics are absolutely beautiful and it's crazy addicting, haha. There are still so many things I have yet to unlock.

Better check my Steam and see where I left off.
    To say it is addicting is an understatement, lmao! I can barely even play Pokemon right now because of this game!

mangamusicfan

The Lost one.
    Years
    Never Heard of it, did look it up and it look's quite good!
    Wich version do you guy's sugest to buy?
    I whas thinking about the pc version.

Necrum

I AM THE REAL SONIC
    Years
    If you have a decent PC it probably plays better on that.

Reign of Giants came out on Steam today for early access Beta release! I'm super excited to unlock Webber so I can have an army of Spiders!

Necrum

I AM THE REAL SONIC
    Years
    I just escaped a world for the first time!
    Spoiler:

Do you need Online or anything to play for ps4?
    I might get it. Sounds interesting.
    I don't personally know, you may need internet to download but it's not a game that uses any online features or anything.

Omicron

the day was mine
    Years
    I just bought Don't Starve! I'm utterly tired right now, though. I'll install it tomorrow and let you guys now my opinion on the game. It looks like a brilliant game. (The game, the new DLC and soundtrack are on sale right now. I'd suggest you take the opportunity if you are planning on getting it.)

Necrum

I AM THE REAL SONIC
    Years
    The game has a pretty steep learning curve so don't get discouraged if you die on the first day. You can look up info on the wiki or watch some let's plays (Sips on YouTube has some good ones) if you really need help and don't feel like experimenting.

Goo

Fiction is an improvement on life
    Years
    First attempt Day 1: Discovered I could not catch birds immediately, found axe. Found some evil flowers and picked them. Ate all the flowers and everything went dark. Happily chopped wood until the screen went totally dark. Something bit me, I died. Total playtime maybe 5 minutes?

I think I like this game.

UPDATE: Okay, I've managed to die quickly twice more and on the third time I found a turkey. Chased it into a corner and killed it with my axe. I feel like a true warrior.

Last edited:

Necrum

I AM THE REAL SONIC
    Years
    The expansion is now available on Steam! Reign of Giants right now offers a huge amount of new content, and apparently changes the game up considerably. I have not survived past 10 days after installing it.

New content includes:
    Spoiler:

Zorogami

WUB WUB
    Years
    Ive caught a few glimpses of this game in the past, but havent had the chance to try it yet.
    It looks so fun and interesting though, im definitely going to try it out once i get home :D

Necrum

I AM THE REAL SONIC
    Years
    The latest Reign of Giants update is now available! Feasting and Forging:
    Changes:

• Tweaked visual effects for overheating.
    • Changed the placer icon of the Ice Flingomatic to better represent the effective range.
    • Giants are more powerful in general.
    • Changed giant loot into crafting mats instead of completed items.
    • Made changes to the items that can be crafted with the giant's crafting materials.
      • Dragonfly Armour now doesn't provide as much protection. Enemies who hit you will be lit on fire.
      • Down Thermantidote is now called the Luxury Fan. Increased number of uses to 15. Fires in the area of use will be put out.
      • Hibearnation Vest causes less hunger reduction.
      • Eyebrella is now a hat.
    Additions:

• Added additional craftables!
    • Added cookpot food recipes!
    Bug Fixes:

• Fixed a crash that happened when cookpots and drying racks burn down with food on them.
    • Cleaned up some Catcoon behaviours and crashes.
    • Cleaned up the behaviours and animations of some of the giants.
    • Fixed a crash that happened when using gunpowder on the g/moose egg.
    • Fixed improper eat prompts appearing for some characters.
    • Moles aren't raised dirt anymore.
    • Pigs have gained a taste for foods they would previously ignore.
    • Fixed some bugs with Webber's eating habits.
    • Buzzards no longer disappear when sleeping.
    • Vargs no longer use the Volt Goat hit sound.
    • Dragonfly SFX will now turn off on death.
    • Spiders emerging from tumble weed will now properly recognize when the player is wearing a spider hat.
    • Wilson's "Red Bird" inspect has been changed.
    • Poop no longer duplicates when trying to fertilize an invalid target.
    • Sanity eyes have learned to better hide themselves.

Hotfix 99777 - April 16

• Items dropped from giants now stack to 10.
    • Coontail has art assets properly loaded.
    • Eating sanity restoring foods properly restores sanity again.
    Hotfix 99845 - April 17

• Added missing string for Cactus Flower.
    • Turned off the controller debug menu.
    • Fixed an issue where Chester would not transform while playing a non-RoG save file.
    • The Molehat no longer functions when worn by entities other than the player.
    • Added some missing file references.
    • Removed some print spam from the Deerclops brain.
    I've been playing around with the new character, Webber, and I love him! Especially when I have an army of spiders following me around!

Back