• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Underrated Video Games?

Years
    • Age 29
    • Seen May 16, 2024
    Raises the question of how do you define underrated - Bastion isn't well-known, but among the people that know it, it's incredibly highly rated. Does this mean it's underrated or just a hidden gem? Is there a difference?

Anyway Bastion's music is amazing. I own the game and haven't gotten to play it yet but I put its soundtrack on loop when I work because it's great and almost exactly an hour long so I can measure the length of time I work in Bastion soundtracks.

Yeah, that's what I was thinking too - unknown =/= underrated, and I personally can't think of any games that have an undeservedly low rating.

Years
    • Seen Jan 4, 2023
    I'd have to say that the Dragon Quest games are really underrated, mostly because of crap like Final Fantasy.

machomuu

Stuck in Hot Girl Summer
    Years
    I'd have to say that the Dragon Quest games are really underrated, mostly because of crap like Final Fantasy.
    Oh? If I remember correctly, Final Fantasy is less popular than Dragon Quest in Japan, and DQ's still pretty big here (though not quite to the height of FF). Though I doubt it's FF's fault since DQ predated Final Fantasy in the West as well.

Phazon Elemental

roving snob
    Years
    • Seen Apr 24, 2021
    It sure seems to me like only a few people enjoy Luminous Arc. They're not great games, but they're fun enough.

I also kind of get the feeling that StarTropics doesn't have a big fanbase. People who like it enjoy it a lot, but that fanbase seems kind of small. I could be nuts, though.

I'm a big fan of Final Fantasy X-2. It gets a lot of hate, unfortunately, and I have my own theories as to why that is, but I found it a very enjoyable game. It obviously wasn't deep and sad like the first one, but it was fun in the way Gundam Build Fighters is fun even though it's not as serious as main series Gundam shows.

Plus, sphere break is far superior to blitzball.
    X-2 is, to me, an eminently playable game. The battle system is a lot of fun. The problem is, for lack of a better word, the way it's displayed. I just don't really like the way it's handled -- there's too much fan service and, honestly, it's played in too campy a manner for my tastes.

Oh? If I remember correctly, Final Fantasy is less popular than Dragon Quest in Japan, and DQ's still pretty big here (though not quite to the height of FF). Though I doubt it's FF's fault since DQ predated Final Fantasy in the West as well.
    Dragon Quest is insanely popular in Japan. Around the release of DQ3, 300 kids were arrested for truancy. There is a reason why the urban legend of a law that restricts when a Dragon Quest game can come out exists. Dragon Quest is by no means underrated.

Oryx

CoquettishCat
    Years
    • Age 31
    • Seen Jan 30, 2015
    X-2 is, to me, an eminently playable game. The battle system is a lot of fun. The problem is, for lack of a better word, the way it's displayed. I just don't really like the way it's handled -- there's too much fan service and, honestly, it's played in too campy a manner for my tastes.

I'm actually really fascinated by the use of the word 'fanservice' here, because fanservice usually implies sexy women meant for men to look at, and that's not the normal criticism of the game at all - usually it's that the game is too marketed to women, too girly, etc.

You also helped crystallize for me a bit more why I like it so much - I adore spin-offs of universes I like where the characters are doing something silly and fun, and that's basically exactly what this is. Too many people try to play it as a true sequel and it doesn't really work that way, you know?

machomuu

Stuck in Hot Girl Summer
    Years
    I'm a big fan of Final Fantasy X-2. It gets a lot of hate, unfortunately, and I have my own theories as to why that is, but I found it a very enjoyable game. It obviously wasn't deep and sad like the first one,
    I dunno, I think the Shuyin/Lenne plot was pretty deep, especially as its portrayed in 1000 Words.

But I agree, I really enjoyed X-2. A lot of it is due in part to the fact that, as Phazon said, it's campy and and has a lot of fan service. The paradigm shift from X to X-2 was just too staggering for people and doesn't really reach the same audiences. At the same time, its concept is not only fun, but it also puts the length of the game more in the player's hands, not only giving them a lot to do but also allowing them to choose how long they want to do and how much they want to do before they decide to end the adventure. Not too mention that it puts the spotlight on Yuna, who the spotlight was on in FFX despite the narrator insisting that it wasn't her story, which would probably have been more of a pro if the game was more serious.

Actually, I like the fact that you mentioned Gundam Build Fighters, because that is the perfect example for a comparison to this game. FFX-2's tone is so different, and even the way it goes about story progression and exploration has taken a massive shift, from the semi-linear traditional point-to-point exploration to an almost sandboxy, quest filled world filled with characters from any side of the spectrum. Even the gameplay has taken a shift towards the more dynamic dressphere system that is dramatically different than anything seen in the series before and...well, any concept introduced, by both being ridiculous in concept and at the same time attractive (conceptually, not aesthetically) and creative.

Just like Build Fighters and G Gundam before it, Final Fantasy X-2 is experimental in every sense, and I think that's what makes it fun- to play and to experience. It's something new and unexpected from the company, and you just don't expect something so off-the-rails.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Jan 4, 2023
    Guys, I'm only saying that Dragon Quest is underrated in AMERICA. I know all too well about the DQ3 fiasco. I'm just saying that if the series was more well-known in America, we'd have DQ10 by now.

Melty~

Deku Princess(?)
    Years
    • Age 33
    • USA
    • Seen Jun 7, 2014
    Breath of Fire V: Dragon Quarter - I have played every BoF game except IV, and DQ was my favorite BY FAR. The music was epic, and I loved how sweet Ryu was towards Nina. And that ending was cool, too.

Baten Kaitos: Eternal Wings and the Lost Ocean - AMAZING game. Some of the voice actors aren't that great (I'm lookin' at YOU, Xelha), but the story is interesting. Although it starts off by making you think it's another youth-gets-revenge-on-empire story, it's full of surprises. Plus, I love Kalas, even though he's a BIIIIG jerk sometimes.

On an unrelated note, I would like to object to the term "crap" being used against Final Fantasy. It's only past FFX that they start going downhill - I loved all of the ones from the original to FFX that I've played. (Sorry, but I HAD to say it.)

Years
    Was randomly reminded of Chrono Cross because I was looking at my shelf, and realized that the game, compared to it's predecessor, seems to have been in the shadows of the said game \: It's unfortunate because I have fond memories of my sister playing the game back when I was too young to understand video games, and I bought the game back on eBay a while back specifically for that reason. The battle system was great (not the greatest), but the story was what kept me wanting to invest time into playing an old game, which I normally would not do unless it's from Final Fantasy.

pompayyy

Forever and Ever
    Years

YES! But not only first one! Since XSEED is gonna release SC soon the second one is a must!
    Tits is also my favorite series =) Great choice, Eri! Eh... I mean, Arc!

Tits is also my favorite series =)

Tits is also my favorite

Tits is also

Tits

I think this game called The NewZealand Story: Revolution for the DS is underrated. It's a remake of the cutest arcade game ever created.

pompayyy

Forever and Ever
    Years
    May I say I was waiting for someone to point it? =D

That somehow makes me feel less immature :P

Also, if you haven't played it, I recommend Lunar Knights for NDS. It's like Boktai for GBA, but without all of the unwanted skin cancer.

Edit: POST 400!!

Underrated Video Games?

Seth Rollins

Holding on to You |-/
    Years
    I'd have to say...the Golden Sun series.

For some reason, it's very overlooked. But it's actually one of the best GBA RPGs ever, also I have friends that never even heard of it. I'm pretty sure there are 3DS gamers who don't even know what Golden Sun is. If you haven't played it, try it. You'll love it, really.

Melty~

Deku Princess(?)
    Years
    • Age 33
    • USA
    • Seen Jun 7, 2014
    I'd have to say...the Golden Sun series.

For some reason, it's very overlooked. But it's actually one of the best GBA RPGs ever, also I have friends that never even heard of it. I'm pretty sure there are 3DS gamers who don't even know what Golden Sun is. If you haven't played it, try it. You'll love it, really.

I second that. Golden Sun is epic.

Back