• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Incest

Hackenfall Backslash

The weirdest mofo you'll ever meet . . . seriously
Years
I say live and let live. I'm only concerned when there is a power imbalance, just I'd like be with any relationship, as I believe in a voluntary society. If one of the parties involved is being coerced or forced that's one too many. Otherwise, bump uglies to your heart's content, bloodlines be damned!

Not my scene though. Hashtag asexual.

Oryx

CoquettishCat
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jan 30, 2015
Still, first cousins is probably the closest you can get without significantly increasing birth defects.

Could you provide evidence of this? This is often seen as a given, but from what I've looked up (I no longer have the links because...no reason to save links to studies on incest), the risk of birth defects among incestuous pairs isn't really that much higher. Since you're making the claim that it is, could you find proof of that?

Corvus of the Black Night

Wild Duck Pokémon
Years
I'm honestly surprised by how liberal everyone is about incest on here. I have a problem with direct incest, because it can lead to a lot of problems psychologically and even physically if you have a kid. I guess if it's just played for kinks and not literal incest, or if you're fairly distant apart, then it's not too bad but literal incest is honestly kind of disturbing to me.

I really feel split on it though to be honest. I really don't like judging other people's lifestyles. I guess. :p Consent before the fun begins I suppose :p

Last edited:
Years
Incest is all right, as long as it's between consenting adults. It doesn't significantly increase the rate of birth defects; it only increases it by something like 5% iirc. It's ironic that I'm so liberal about incest when I was the victim of incest when I was kid.

Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen today
This isn't directed at anyone in particular, so don't be offended / confused by my use of the second person.

If your only objection to incest is the increased risk in birth defects in potential children, what about situations without that potential? For example, something involving a post-menopausal woman or some kind of gay incest? Do your objections disappear?

If not, then you're admitting that children have nothing to do with your objections.

Azonic

hello friends
Years
it kind of grosses me out

but that's no reason for me to tell someone else how to live. hey its none of my business. if you wanna shag your sister then go ahead.

i can't speak on the issue of reproduction because i dont know the actual facts / likelihood of stuff like birth defects.

Polar Spectrum

I'm still here; watching. Waiting.
Years
2e31pmx.gif

But yeah. It's none of my business if other people are doing it, and I know very soundly and certainly that I'm not interested in it, so that's the beginning and end of my position on incest.

Besides, c'mon

This is a pokemon site.

Incest is basically all breeding is in pokemon.

Years
  • Age 51
  • Seen Jul 22, 2016
Incest is all right, as long as it's between consenting adults. It doesn't significantly increase the rate of birth defects; it only increases it by something like 5% iirc. It's ironic that I'm so liberal about incest when I was the victim of incest when I was kid.

Is it that you were a victim of incest, or a victim of a sexual assault? I would not, for instance, consider two first cousins who fall in love victims of incest. If one took advantage of the other sexually, on the other hand, that would be sexual assault, regardless of whether it was by a family member or not.

Years
Is it that you were a victim of incest, or a victim of a sexual assault? I would not, for instance, consider two first cousins who fall in love victims of incest. If one took advantage of the other sexually, on the other hand, that would be sexual assault, regardless of whether it was by a family member or not.

I can see where it would be confusing. I meant incest in a certain sense - to refer to situations of sexual abuse between family members.

Years
  • Age 51
  • Seen Jul 22, 2016
I can see where it would be confusing. I meant incest in a certain sense - to refer to situations of sexual abuse between family members.

Okay, but an incestuous act itself isn't abusive, which is why I didn't think calling yourself a victim of incest was the best way to describe what happened to you. Incest, in the strictest sense, is the sexual relationship between people of close relations. If the act is forced on another, then it's called sexual assault, and it doesn't matter who is committing the crime. So more accurately, you're a victim of a sexual assault, and your attacker just happened to be a family member.

It's interesting to note that the majority of people who are sexually assaulted are attacked by someone close to them, such as a family member or close family friend.

Oryx

CoquettishCat
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jan 30, 2015
Okay, but an incestuous act itself isn't abusive, which is why I didn't think calling yourself a victim of incest was the best way to describe what happened to you. Incest, in the strictest sense, is the sexual relationship between people of close relations. If the act is forced on another, then it's called sexual assault, and it doesn't matter who is committing the crime. So more accurately, you're a victim of a sexual assault, and your attacker just happened to be a family member.

It's interesting to note that the majority of people who are sexually assaulted are attacked by someone close to them, such as a family member or close family friend.

I'm not sure it's appropriate to tell someone how to talk about their abuse.

Years
I'm not sure it's appropriate to tell someone how to talk about their abuse.

It isn't; you're right. Thank you.

When talking to several therapists and psychology professors who study the issue, they generally referred to inter-family sexual assault simply as "incest." So, actually, that nomenclature is accurate, in certain circles at least. Think of it as slang.

Blastin'Tyruntz

Keeps blasting off again!
Years
Think i'm gonna make this fairly short.

Incest is a thing. We have to accept it. We can't ban incest because it's not a normativity. Lesbians, gays, transdengers, queers and Bi are not normativities either, are you saying we should ban them? And also, should dwarfs, deafs, blind or people with several other genetic conditions not be allowed to reproduce?

And look at all the famous and notable people who married their cousins, like:
-2nd President of the USA, John Adams.
-Charles Darwin
-Edgar Allen Poe
-Muhammed (!)
-Albert Einstein

The list goes on. What i'm trying to say here is, you can't control love. If you develop feelings from a person of your bloodline and they do too,what's gotta be gotta be.
Live and let live.
I get it, it's tabbo, but it's taboo because we made it that way.
I'm not saying: "Hey lets all marry our siblings" or trying to encourage incest, i'm just saying we are not allowed to ban people for their desires, (unless it's the desire to kill, rape, etc.)

Altairis

take me ☆ take you
Years
If incest refers to the consensual acts of both parties, then I'm fine with it. I can't stop you two from doing anything, or from loving each other if that's really the case. Not my business. Anything that doesn't have consent from both sides is obviously wrong, outside of just cases of incest too.

I would never do anything incestuous (is that how you word it???) just because I think it's personally really weird. It just grosses me out, but obviously my opinion doesn't have to matter to those who aren't affected by me.

Back