• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Visual Novels

pkmin3033

Until fairly recently, the visual novel was confined mostly to Japan or, on occasion, internet fan translation projects. However, with a few recent sucesses, the genre has gained a little more ground outside of these areas, especially on the PS Vita, which is set to gain even more over the year.

So, have you played any visual novels, and if so did you enjoy the experience? If not, would you consider picking one up in the future? Would you even consider visual novels as video games at all, given that a lot of them have no "gameplay" in a traditional sense? Any favourites?

Bay

Years
    I haven't really played much visual novels, but the ones I did I enjoyed them. The story and character interactions are usually what draws me in. I could easily have that experience reading a book, but often the choices, music, and art makes things more enjoyable to me.

A few people here already know I love the Ace Attorney series, but yeah the cases often hook me and love the characters. Another one I played a fair bit was Katawa Shoujo. which is about a character in a school that has students with a disability. I was surprised how much I like some of the routes, given its concept could easily be mishandled. Besides those I tried out some very short fanmade ones here and there.

I really want to try out Steins;Gate as I loved the anime, but the price is a bit steep for me at the moment. I know a PS Vita is coming out soon, but I don't have that console yet. I'll probably get the PC version unless PS Vita's translation is better.

Satoshi Ookami

Memento Mori
    Years
    VNs were the reason why I purchased a PSP and consequently all other PSs.
    I played a fair share on PC, but it just doesn't feel right... I like to hold my waifus.

And obviously, my favorite VNs are Zero Escape. So far I haven't found anything that would bring more captivating storyline than these games.

Yukari

Uhh... There are certain reasons that I don't play many of these games. But I have enjoyed most of the ones I've played so far. The two I like the most are Long Live the Queen and 999.

Also as far as whether or no I consider them games goes I point you to this post by machomuu. It's kinda long though.

Skip Class

previously zappyspiker, but rainbow keeps trying t
    Years
    I've only really watched the Dangan Ronpa VN and watch a friend play Hatoful boyfriend. I've actually been meaning to start playing them, but never really had the time to start them so I end up just watching other people play them.

Back