• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[PKMN FULL] Shifting Sands [T]

EternalSushi

Fresh for a lifetime.
Years
  • Age 27
  • HK
  • Seen Sep 9, 2017
S H I F T I N G S A N D S Rated [T] | EternalSushi

Spoiler:

"Well, hello there~!"

scholary_lucario_explorer_by_haychel-d5lvnm3.png

[Art by Haychel]

A peculiar, peppy Lucario greets you with a casual wave on the dim, fizzling TV screen, sitting on that messy table of his with one leg crossed over the other. His glasses, loosely worn above his snout, shimmers and refracts beams of a distant, dying sunset. Meanwhile, a tiny Joltik crawls up his arm, making his way onto his shoulder before slumping down with a content smile. Somehow, despite the lack of care for the TV set, the images still manage to come through as crisp and vibrant...at times.

"So glad you're here to join me on my next expedition. I'm the world-renown explorer and professional archaeologist Delta Salen and I'm glad to have you on board! This little critter here is Scara, my new partner and assistant. For her lack of mass and brawn, she's done wonders in other fields and has saved my tail numerous times.

"Anyway, I will be expecting your arrival soon, and I've heard that you're resting at an inn nearby. So, let's get to the good stuff-- there's good news and bad news. Bad news is that the tomb of our beloved King Nazratu has been discovered...and the place isn't really in great condition, might need a little fix here and there. Good news is that I get to take you all with me to explore it for the very first time!

"Can you imagine? We'll be the first living beings in two thousand years to set foot on those floors. We'll be the first to lay our hands on precious, priceless artifacts...and," shifting slightly on the table, he pushes his glasses up just a bit and flashes a playful grin, "And perhaps you'll be able to take some back with you.

"Now, you might feel a little bit nervous or anxious or whatnot, but I assure you that every explorer has felt this way before. You've come all this way to Kairo, center of the Yegypt Region for a purpose, and this trip won't disappoint. Just bring some water, basic equipment and most importantly, a happy smile with the heart of an adventurer!"

Your television flickers, fizzles, and switches off on its own, reaching the end of its pitiful lifespan. Oh well, that's how it is in the 1950s.

Intro -

Shifting Sands is a semi-short, adventure/exploration based RP set in a Pokemon-exclusive version of Egypt. The main plot focuses on you, the characters, as you all venture into King Nazratu's Tomb under the guidance of Dr. Delta Salen. This RP sets to be sweet and simple with a focus on teamwork, decision-making and the adventure experience.

Inspired by slight DnD mechanics, PMD groups and 'choose-your-own-adventure' stories, the RP would offer a map of the tomb (should the adventurous achieve one), allowing small groups of Pokemon to split while the GM replies separately, setting up traps, NPCs, and perhaps even treasure for brave souls.

The speed of exploration and method of exploration bares some freedom, each room being different than the last. The presence (and absence) of Dr Salen should keep everything on the right track.

Expect fights, traps, paranoia, bonding times, and slightly-heavy decisions.

Sign-ups -

Name -

Gender -

Age - equivalent to human years.

Species -

Appearance - note down anything unique and different.

Personality - A few descriptions to help your character stand out and define itself.

Background - a brief one would do. Perhaps a reason as to why you'd be here.

Others - anything I've missed? Want to add or say anything? Is your character fine with death (not making it out at the very end of the story)? Or would you want the character to have a happy ending?

Rules -

- Current PC and RPT rules apply.

- No godmodding or autohitting (write about executing an attack, not landing it) against foes or allies. It ruins the fun!

- Put 'Sandcastle' somewhere in your SU to show that you've read the rules.

- Reservations are allowed, and I will remind those who haven't finished their forms a few days prior to the IC launch. It'll probably be at least a week an a half after the launch of the OOC.

- Joint posts are allowed - just remember to socialize and talk to others as well without going too far and too deep with your buddy. A lot of the fun comes from socializing and discussing puzzles with other characters.

- A level of activity is required. I wish that everyone would be able to at least post once a week. It really hurts when a crucial player just suddenly disappears.

- There is no 4-move limit for Pokemon, meaning as long as the Pokemon can learn it (and has, depending on your character really), it can use it. It's flexible. This is because fighting only takes up a part of the RP and a lot is based off interacting and exploring. Just remember not to godmod and autohit, and make the moves fit your Pokemon (a newly evolved Sceptile is most likely not going to have Leaf Storm mastered).

- Please, please, have fun! It's what the GM ultimately wants to see!
20.%20boogie.gif

Reservations & Accepted Players -

- EternalSushi as Dr. Delta Salen & Scara
- Daydream as Giles Shaw
-
Greiger as Felix Fellowshttp://www.pokecommunity.com/showpost.php?p=9007686&postcount=4
- Disclosed as Ali
- Godzil as Jane Bowen
- Plumbum as
Maxia Nyalla
- Jegretis as Atlowe Cielsworth
- Cheshire Cat as Lina Borella
- Kikpanther as Eva Leena
SUs are closed for now.

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 34
  • they/them
  • Seen Apr 19, 2024
Looks cool! Will there be room for proper rp posts or mostly just decision making? :o

Years
  • Age 38
  • Seen Feb 24, 2024
I've got some interest in this building up. Are we to get to wear clothing with out Pokemon as your Lucario does? (Just so I know what I'm doing in my potential SU~)

Kung Fu Ferret

The Unbound
Years
Name - Leroy Soto

Gender - Male

Age - 24

Species - Feraligatr

Appearance - Leroy is shiny

Personality - Leroy, according to his family, has no filter, just saying anything and everything on his mind. He also is very intelligent for his youthful age. He also is brave and pure of heart. However, just don't get on his bad side..... EVER! Also, he can be a tad impatient, with a rather high self-esteem. He absolutely hates it when others put words in his mouth that clearly weren't his. His only fear is death.

Background - From a very young age, Leroy was always interested in what he read in books. Archaeology, Mythology, Biology, you name it! Finally, his sense of adventure kicks in on this quest to save this tomb from destruction, and maybe bring back a souvenir of minor value. He found out about this expedition from a friend who is ill. Leroy is going on this expedition in his sick friend's place, as was requested of said friend, whom had just died from his illness after a long fight with the flu. Unfortunately for Leroy, he doesn't know that part yet....

Others - Sandcastle

EDIT: If you're wondering whose idea it was, it's mine... You're welcome!

Last edited:

Ice1

[img]http://www.serebii.net/pokedex-xy/icon/712.pn
Years
  • Seen Nov 23, 2023
How do you plan to handle moves in this RP?

Also, because of the 100 word rule we have in place, it might be best to do encounters on a communal pad and post the whole encounter as one thing.

EternalSushi

Fresh for a lifetime.
Years
  • Age 27
  • HK
  • Seen Sep 9, 2017
Well, just to clarify how walking and interacting works for everyone, the posts should be no different than normal RP posts, so yes there's room for that! I'll describe the areas as you enter them, presenting everyone with descriptions and potential options to go for. What happens then is that most RPers will most likely be given a choice to take, even for something as simple as left or right. You can talk about it through VM and reply to me in a joint post if you wish, but I expect replies like this to surpass the 100 word limit regardless, just like talking and communicating in a regular roleplay. Imagine a DnD-like description and response, but instead of just 'perception checks', you have RPing like normal. For this RP, there's no 4-move limit on your Pokemon (Will add this up there), meaning you can use almost any move that the Pokemon can learn, but I'm assuming that everyone will know not to go overboard and use extremely powerful attacks (remember godmodding and autohitting). In the end however, I'll just make the enemies harder to beat, so in reality there's no point.

Example of how the RP runs:

GM: "Delta leads you into this room. Description description witty lines. A few notable things. He then turns to the explorers for suggestions - climb up the wall and take the high entrance or crawl down to those the bottom. The bottom one seems to have rats crawling out of it..."

RPer: "He takes in the scene, sees the things offered to him, discusses it with a few others and analyze the options. High tends to be safer yet rats suggest that the area is suitable for living through the bottom path. With hesitation, he raises his hand and begins rallying people up for the lower."

GM: "The group has now split into two, some going high and some going low. Insert what happens here..."

Hope that makes sense! Of course, the post length up there can easily triple with vivid descriptions. They can even argue about which route to take as one could be quite...deadly. So of course, there's RPing in there. You can decide to camp down and try to start a fire at one room (who knows, it might be part of a puzzle) and do things your own pace after finding similar friends.

One thing I haven't mentioned yet is that Delta might play a rather big role in this small story. *winkwink* I'll try my best to give people more things to talk about in their replies.

@Himika, up to you! Clothes or not is fine ^^ Maybe look at others' SUs to see if that'll change your mind.

@Digimon, thanks for the Egyptian theme suggestion. Though after reading your SU, I don't seem to know much about your character. I think a few more sentences in both personality and background would help. Be inspired! There has to be something more than that. c:

Last edited:

EternalSushi

Fresh for a lifetime.
Years
  • Age 27
  • HK
  • Seen Sep 9, 2017
Interesting. However I'm concerned that it might interfere with my plans for the RP. Delta is there at the start and...well, things happen. So, as long as your character is like everyone else's and won't really lead anyone astray, having an archaeologist status to your character is fine as it won't make Delta (or the GM in this case) lose its power to move you around. ^^

Also, I suppose that you shouldn't set up this character to be a rival as you don't really know who Delta is other than his status and fame. Who knows? They might have quite a few things in common. x3

Last edited:

Daydream

[b]Boo.[/b]
Years
Erp. I haven't roleplayed in so very long, so I may be awful, but this really caught my eye.

Sandcastle.

Name: Giles Shaw

Species: Charmeleon

Appearance: He wears a beaten up brown leather jacket, and a pair of glasses with a silver rim. There's a greyish-white discoloration above his right eye: an ovoid birthmark with jagged edges.

Personality: Giles is quick to deliver dry remarks and withering sarcasm, and it isn't that he's trying to be unfriendly… But it can come across that way. He's unafraid of debating a point if he thinks he's right, but he isn't argumentative for the sake of being so – Giles tends to be on the side of rationality and reason when it comes to making any major decision. At times, this can be a fault. If an urgent decision must be made, then Giles is pragmatic – emotions will quite rarely come into his reasoning or logic.

That being said, Giles isn't necessarily a bad friend, but he can take some getting used to. He makes connections with those that have ideals that align with his own. What he prizes above most things is a sense of curiosity and willingness to discover. These two traits drive him, and the wonderment he shows when digging into a particular good mystery or secret will often have him drop his generally collected demeanour. Whilst he considers himself to be quite intelligent he would not demand this of a friend. Clashing will occur with glory and thrill seekers, and he hopes to find none of that sort on this expedition.

Though he generally remains calm, if a situation looks particularly dire then Giles is likely to panic. He's quite methodical and would rather think through and come up with a plan than rush into anything.

Background: An only child, Giles had an upbringing that was fairly comfortable: he was always provided for and loved by a kind mother and father. He began university at twenty-two, but stopped when his mother prematurely died of an unknown virus. Giles has as a small close-knit circle of friends and takes part in a bi-weekly creative writing group.

Giles works on the library staff at his local University. He has a passion for reading and visiting museums is one his absolute favourite past times. Often he digs through the journals of explorers and spends an awful lot of time quizzing students and professors when they return from a research trip.

Upon reading about this expedition (on a University bulletin board) he decided to take a year of absence from study to, in his own words, 'do something real for once'. Giles plans on bringing along some thick leather-bound journals to document the experience, if he can. Then, upon returning home, he hopes to get the records of his experience published.

Others: If any of Giles' background doesn't fit into your world concept I'm happy to make alterations!

Junier

Fake Friends Forever (´・ω・`)
Years
  • Age 22
  • Seen Dec 5, 2019

ALI

"Perfection is not attainable, but if we chase perfection we may catch excellence."

Sex / Age
Male ;; approx. three years (Human years = 19~).

Species
Espeon, "Certainly one-of a-kind."

Appearance
The same slender figure and glistening velvet pelt mirroring that of his kind. With further attention, however, one could spot faint green roots that add a very odd tint to Ali's coat. He also appears sturdier than the majority of his species, though not significantly so, as his dainty paws still do make quick and imprecise movements difficult to perform.
"Accessories are but a distraction from true beauty, which derives from actual effort."

Personality
An intellectually-driven creature who excels at logical reasoning. His eagle's-eye, quick wits and remarkable reaction time are admirable in their own right. Unfortunately this seemingly levelheaded telekinetic is but a cover for a ferocious temper. When unprovoked, Ali stays attentive, speaks eloquently, often dryly. Otherwise, he tends to lash out with little thought and displays a bit of his more sensitive side as well. Ali, the determined type by-nature, does not take kindly to being doubted or under-appreciated. He takes pride in every aspect of himself and does not wish for this pride to be damaged. Rather than call verbal attention to his flaws, it might be best to avoid mentioning them at all, though Ali may mention your own. At times his pretentiousness and self-centered nature may be irksome, but an alliance with this Espeon does come with benefits, for his first priority is always guarding those he respects.
"Oh, I'm quite aware of my intelligence. Though a reminder is always apprecia-- ...my 'flaws'!? Now, t-that's rather uncalled for, isn't it?"

Background
Born a scrawny and runt-ish Eevee in a litter of brethren, Ali's mother discouraged him from participating in their physical activities, not that'd they invite him anyway when he had the fragility of a toothpick. This rejection led Ali to develop a sort of bitterness towards his family, eventually choosing to isolate himself from them and leave for a more urban environment. His independence was short-lived; naturally he desired companionship and radiated towards a band of academic Psychic types. Psychics were and perhaps still are regarded highly for their supposedly superior intelligence. They usually scrutinized other Pokemon for their differences but one Alakazam found Ali a curious sort, being a rare species after all. This connection led to further connections within the group and eventually Ali found himself an elegant Espeon with allies and opportunities all about him.
Between that time and the present, Ali has situated himself as author and journalist. The first two installments of his novel trilogy, Beyond Bright Eyes, were best-sellers. This "literary brilliance", as his fans say, and with some extra assistance from his esteemed typing and species, Ali was considered worthy of attending the exploration. At first his fragility made this opportunity an unlikely one but, in the last few weeks, Ali has trained determinedly in order to prepare himself and become less reliant on his telekinetic abilities. His physical capabilities are still not exactly on par with most but his endurance has upped significantly, that and he would do near anything to attend the exploration. It would provide the perfect background knowledge for the final addition to his trilogy and overall be a once-in-a-lifetime, momentous occasion he would hate to miss.
"I am overbearingly excited for the upcoming exploration event. I can surely close out the series properly now, though there's no use in trashing what mastery I've written thus far... "The temple's gritty ceiling groaned with effort as the water surged over their heads, the burdening waves threatening to collapse the entire structure as if it were but a sandcastle..."

Others
* Ali uses his prehensile tail to carry his satchel of writing materials and few personal items.
* His delicateness makes him especially vulnerable towards fatigue, illness and weight loss.
* He is very determined to develop physical prowess and muscles to the point where he may push himself too hard, develop sprains and the likes.

Last edited:

EternalSushi

Fresh for a lifetime.
Years
  • Age 27
  • HK
  • Seen Sep 9, 2017
Erp. I haven't roleplayed in so very long, so I may be awful, but this really caught my eye.

Sandcastle.

Name: Giles Shaw

Species: Charmeleon

Appearance: He wears a beaten up brown leather jacket, and a pair of glasses with a silver rim. There's a greyish-white discoloration above his right eye: an ovoid birthmark with jagged edges.

Personality: Giles is quick to deliver dry remarks and withering sarcasm, and it isn't that he's trying to be unfriendly… But it can come across that way. He's unafraid of debating a point if he thinks he's right, but he isn't argumentative for the sake of being so – Giles tends to be on the side of rationality and reason when it comes to making any major decision. At times, this can be a fault. If an urgent decision must be made, then Giles is pragmatic – emotions will quite rarely come into his reasoning or logic.

That being said, Giles isn't necessarily a bad friend, but he can take some getting used to. He makes connections with those that have ideals that align with his own. What he prizes above most things is a sense of curiosity and willingness to discover. These two traits drive him, and the wonderment he shows when digging into a particular good mystery or secret will often have him drop his generally collected demeanour. Whilst he considers himself to be quite intelligent he would not demand this of a friend. Clashing will occur with glory and thrill seekers, and he hopes to find none of that sort on this expedition.

Though he generally remains calm, if a situation looks particularly dire then Giles is likely to panic. He's quite methodical and would rather think through and come up with a plan than rush into anything.

Background: An only child, Giles had an upbringing that was fairly comfortable: he was always provided for and loved by a kind mother and father. He began university at twenty-two, but stopped when his mother prematurely died of an unknown virus. Giles has as a small close-knit circle of friends and takes part in a bi-weekly creative writing group.

Giles works on the library staff at his local University. He has a passion for reading and visiting museums is one his absolute favourite past times. Often he digs through the journals of explorers and spends an awful lot of time quizzing students and professors when they return from a research trip.

Upon reading about this expedition (on a University bulletin board) he decided to take a year of absence from study to, in his own words, 'do something real for once'. Giles plans on bringing along some thick leather-bound journals to document the experience, if he can. Then, upon returning home, he hopes to get the records of his experience published.

Others: If any of Giles' background doesn't fit into your world concept I'm happy to make alterations!

That's perfect~ Nice details here and there (I don't see why a short-ish adventure RP would require a wall of text for an SU, so this length is great), and I can really imagine this character coming to life. I'm excited to see him interact with others while inside the tomb...might be a little amusing to watch. You're Accepted.

Digimon, you'll probably need to elaborate just a liiiitle bit more to make your SU look a little bit more like the one above! Pending as of now, even if this is your idea. x3

Alright, you already knew I was applying. But I'd also like some clarification, as Ice said, on how moves would work in this RP. Any criteria, restrictions?

(lol in-progress, i was editing)

I've responded above!

Junier

Years
  • Age 22
  • Seen Dec 5, 2019
Ah, right, I see it. I'll take that into account, then.

Anyway, just finished my application. I might revise it later on, perhaps add/remove some details, but I believe it's decent in its current state.

EternalSushi

Fresh for a lifetime.
Years
  • Age 27
  • HK
  • Seen Sep 9, 2017
You lack a special something in that SU, so I cannot accept you just yet. Content is fine though!

Another fun thing is that if someone quits or has become inactive for a long time, it's quite...easy to kill that character off.

EternalSushi

Fresh for a lifetime.
Years
  • Age 27
  • HK
  • Seen Sep 9, 2017
Is my sign-up better now, Eternal Sushi?

I neglected to mention I'm a bit rusty at this....

Should be fine~ Accepted. Welcome aboard! Though, really, the SU only says so much - in the end it comes down to how well you RP with others! Can't wait to see this happen.

Junier

Years
  • Age 22
  • Seen Dec 5, 2019
Alright, made some major changes to my application as well as added in that special secret something.

Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Jan 31, 2023
Definitely interested! Will have an SU up tonight or sometime tomorrow :)

008.png

Name
Atlowe Cielsworth

Species
Wartortle

Appearance
Atlowe is a tad bigger than an average Wartortle, and his fur is looks and feels fluffier than a usual Wartortle as well. His skin complexion is a vivid Baby Blue, and is quite frankly, free from any imperfections. Lastly he wears a navy blue scarf/bandana around his neck, which is useful for covering his mouth and part of his face when the desert sandstorms approach.

Personality
Atlowe is very vain and materialistic. When he's not looking at himself in the mirror, he's busy trying to find treasure or training to keep his body in tip-top condition. One of his favorite activities is to swim, and throw around rocks as his strength training. Personality-wise, a majority of the time he can come off as self-centred, cocky and arrogant. Other Pokemon may see him as plain dumb, but surprisingly, he is incredibly knowledgeable. He reads a lot of books in his free time, ranging from geography to mathematics. He loves correcting other Pokemon, and will even get into debates just to prove a point. He has a certain soft spot for female Pokemon, but even they are not immune to his arguing.

He takes some time to get to used to, especially when other Pokemon around him aren't his 'type' or clique. His intentions most of the time are good, and even though he may do a bit of bullying here and there, he never tries to physically hurt someone out of the blue, unless the other Pokemon initiated it, or if he was driven to the boiling point.

Background
As said before, Atlowe is a materialistic individual. This is not entirely his fault though. He was born into a wealthy family, being the middle of 3 children. Growing up, he essentially received everything he asked for, hence why he can act spoiled sometimes. He loves to read, and as a result, this sparked his interest in travel and exploration. He read about the upcoming expedition in a flyer in the local paper, and this intrigued him to the point where he decided he would venture on forth to see if he could actually find any sort of treasures, as well as get more valuable travel experience.

Others
Nothing else really. Let me know if I need to fix anything! And of course, Sandcastle :)

Last edited:
Years
Ancient Egypt... we meet again...

This looks fun! And I've got an idea for a character I want to play!

Name - Jane Bowen

Gender - Female

Age - 51

Species - Kangaskhan

Appearance - Jane commonly wears a wide-brimmed straw hat and sunglasses. There is no baby in her pouch.

Personality - Jane is generally gruff and terse, rarely speaking more than a few words at a time. Why bother talking when a growl or grunt works just as well and in less time? She also tends to be direct and a little blunt, but is honest. She'll speak her mind, and doesn't dilly-dally, as there'll be time for fun after the job's done.

But she isn't all work and no play. She actually cares very deeply for others, and likes helping out and taking care of them. She just isn't very good at showing it. She knows she comes off as strict or unfriendly, but she'll always have your back and be there when you need her. As long as someone points her in the right direction, that is. She's a strong, efficient worker, but isn't always the brightest bulb.

When push comes to shove, she shoves back hard. She has a bit of a temper, and her first answer to a problem is usually to punch it. Door won't open? Punch it. Rocks blocking the path? Punch them. Punching doesn't work for some reason? Punch it again, or bite it, or hit it with her tail...

Background - Jane was born in a small community of wandering Kangaskhan, who traveled the land doing odd jobs and helping where they were needed. Jane made many friends, but never stayed with them for long, so she learned to value her time with others. When she was 14, her tribe found their path blocked by a collapsed tunnel, and the nearby town, a small place called Sandcastle, being harassed by a gang of Sneasels and Furrets. They chased the gang away, and helped clear the way, but some of the tribe, including Jane and her family, stayed behind, in case the ruffians returned, or something happened to the tunnel again.

So, Jane started her adult life as a sort of sheriff/maintenance worker, leaving behind her wandering lifestyle for one of quiet and hard work. In time, the small town grew, and Jane had a child of her own to look after. Over the years, many of the other 'Khans wandered off, but Jane was one of the few who stayed.

But now, years later, Jane's daughter has left the town, and Jane hears the road calling her. But she doesn't want to go off alone, and none of the other townsfolk feel like leaving. Luckily for her, an expedition to an exotic location is seeking volunteers, and there might be room for a grumpy old lady with a strong back and a mean right hook.

Others - Since her child has grown and gone on to start her own family, Jane has no baby to protect. So, she tends to see herself as everybody's aunt, acting as a caring, protective influence on their lives. She may be a bit of a grump, but she's family.

Back