• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

People who think they have nothing to live for accidentally torture themselves

Jauntier

Where was your antennas again?
    Years
    Something I've been mulling over. Not sure if I'll bring it to this particular forum if I ever get around to it, but I'll see if it generates interest, at least.

So I've had the idea for a very mature story that could fare as a role-play. A group of students in university think they lead tragic lives. They all hate whatever is going on in their family and social lives and they feel like the only thing they can do now is just to end it. Word gets out through private means about doing a pact, promising that they'll off themselves, and that they would do it all together in one final moment of solidarity. It may be the first and last time any of them felt so united with another.

So they meet up someplace on the date arranged and agreed upon, and the person who's orchestrating it says that before they all do the deed, they should perform a special rite for the pact. They do it, but it turns out unbeknownst to the leader, the rite they found on some deep web site is actually this satanic ritual, and they summon manifestations of their despicable problems as demons.

So now they're in this predicament where these demons are bound to them. The conflict here is, the demons can't be unbound until either their host dies or they're released with the appropriate unbinding ritual. The afflicted though are going to be tormented by the demons until they find the right rite to cleanse them of their specific demon, or they kill themselves from being unable to take it anymore. If they die, they're promised to go through agony in Hell, a tidbit of information as revealed to by their demon early on.

So, can these people find a way to eke through their mess and hopefully realize their true resilience in order to be rid of their true demons, or will they succumb and be tormented far worse than their mortal coil?

In short, a suicide pact ritual goes wrong and summons manifestations of true torment unique to each character, and if they can stand the wickedness and badgering bound to them to find the proper rite to release them of the evil, they learn to overcome their own trial, lest they give in and be subject to an eternity in an especially painful afterlife.

If I were to make it a role-play, I'd likely have people sign up to be either a student or a demon, and have them paired to each other based on either what I think best or if players seek each other out and mutually request their pairing. The demon sign up would have a basic name, personality, their unique abilities, and likely would have the authors message me in private what their specific cleansing rite would entail--following a few guidelines and restrictions, of course.

What do you think of the concept? I only care for interest in the idea, as I said up top. This may or may not be made as a role-play here, whenever.

Years
    • Seen Jul 18, 2016
    I do like the overall idea, I think it's very creative and also I enjoy the seriousness/maturity of it that's always a great aspect (to me) when people bring that into an RP. Rituals gone wrong automatically make everything better. Color me interested.

Years
    • UK
    • Seen Apr 5, 2024
    The interaction between the Student and the Demon seems like it would be fun to play out.

Last edited:

Jauntier

Where was your antennas again?
    Years
    The interaction between the Student and the Demon seems like it would be fun to play out.

If everyone were coordinated to a speed I found preferable, I recently realized after writing up a first-post draft.

It could otherwise be a sluggish disaster with people who initially thought they'd enjoy their partner, to a detrimental lack of chemistry.

Weighing that against having someone just write their own character's demon and have it play out for themselves, the latter is the safer option, but it's another "write your own novella" scenario that I personally want to curb. Players may get to a point where they stall because they can't come up with something for themselves, which is the case for that format.

Not a sentiment directed specifically at you, I will say that I'm unsure if the pros for couplings outweigh the cons.

Back