• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Pok?mon of the Day - Dratini (163/???) [being remade]

Status
Not open for further replies.

AliceBlaze

Shiny Collector
Years
Bellsprout vs. Oddish - which is your favourite? Did you use Bellsprout as a part of a Blue/LeafGreen run due to its version exclusivity? Is this something you would consider doing in the future?
Oddish because its evolutions have better designs. I used a Bellsprout in my LeafGreen team though.

Were you annoyed that Bellsprout didn't get a Sun Stone final evolutionary stage in Generation II like Oddish did in Bellossom? If you had the opportunity to design one now, what would it look like?
I never really thought of that and I can't picture what one would look like.

pkmin3033

160 - FERALIGATR

600px-160Feraligatr.png

"It usually moves slowly, but it goes at blinding speed when it attacks and bites prey."

See ya later, Feraligatr... Today's Pokemon of the Day is Feraligatr! The fully evolved form of Totodile - which evolves latest at Level 18 but reaches its final evolution earliest at Level 30 - Feraligatr was first introduced in the second generation, as one of the three starter Pokemon. Standing at a rather terrifying 2.3m, Feraligatr is the last thing you'd want to encounter in real life, and with access to moves like Dragon Dance, Superpower and Ice Punch it's definitely no slouch competitively...unlike the other two Johto starters. Feraligatr has never made any major appearances in the anime, being limited to minor cameos or occasional battles - Totodile was always the popular one, since Ash owned one - although Marina has a Feraligatr named Wani-Wani, of all things.

Share your opinion, memories, and experiences of Feraligatr! As well as the general questions in the first post of this topic, here are some fun things to think about:

• Did Feraligatr's design or moveset influence you to choose it in Gold/Silver/Crystal or their remakes?
  • Do you think a Mega Feraligatr will be revealed for Pokemon Sun & Moon? What form do you think this could take in terms of design, ability, and increased stats?

Adam Levine

[color=#ffffff][font="Century Gothic"]I have tried
Years
Do you think a Mega Feraligatr will be revealed for Pokemon Sun & Moon? What form do you think this could take in terms of design, ability, and increased stats?

I wish it would. The Johto starters desperately need them.

I was thinking Feraligatr would have Tough Jaw, and its Attack, Defense, and Speed would increase. I don't think I'm in the mood for changing its type.

Xertified

Shtposting is my life.
Years
Did Feraligatr's design or moveset influence you to choose it in Gold/Silver/Crystal or their remakes?

I didn't picked him, I hate crocodiles.

Do you think a Mega Feraligatr will be revealed for Pokemon Sun & Moon? What form do you think this could take in terms of design, ability, and increased stats?

No I don't.

Years
Did Feraligatr's design or moveset influence you to choose it in Gold/Silver/Crystal or their remakes?

It was always close between Cyndaquil and Totodile but Feraligatr was probably the Pokemon who influenced me against choosing his evolution line.

I don't think we will, I can't see us getting any mega starters anymore unless it's in remakes, and with HGSS available it seems unlikely for the time being. But hey who knows :)

AliceBlaze

Shiny Collector
Years
It was when I first saw Totodile in the anime that made me wanna choose it in Crystal.

Probably would only be if they make Johto Pokemon relevant the same way the Kanto starters and legendaries were obtainable in X/Y. I can't imagine what it would look like though.

pkmin3033

504 - PATRAT

600px-504Patrat.png

"Extremely cautious, they take shifts to maintain a constant watch of their nest. They feel insecure without a lookout."

There's no case too big, no case too small, when you need help just call... Today's Pokemon of the Day is Patrat! Another early-game Normal-type Rodent Pokemon - this time resembling a chipmunk - that evolves fast and is generally only useful as an HM slave, Patrat is notably pathetic for having the lowest base stat total (255) of all Pokemon introduced in Generation V. Sharing its classification with Sentret as a Scout Pokemon, Patrat stores food in its cheek pouches like a lot of rodents, and communicates with its tail somehow. As an early-game weakling, Patrat has never made a noteworthy appearance in the anime, but showed up plenty of times in the wild in the Unova season because, much like in the games, they're all over the place.

Share your opinion, memories, and experiences of Patrat! As well as the general questions in the first post of this topic, here are some fun things to think about:

• Given the lack of choice along the earlier routes, did you find yourself using Patrat in Pokemon Black/White?
  • How would you rate Patrat in comparison to the other early-game Normal type Pokemon?

Adam Levine

Years
Given the lack of choice along the earlier routes, did you find yourself using Patrat in Pokemon Black/White?

No. I did, however, used Pidove.

How would you rate Patrat in comparison to the other early-game Normal type Pokemon?

Nothing special. Just another one of those things.

AliceBlaze

Shiny Collector
Years
Given the lack of choice along the earlier routes, did you find yourself using Patrat in Pokemon Black/White?
Nope, I used Lillipup instead.

How would you rate Patrat in comparison to the other early-game Normal type Pokemon?
If I were to rank all six in terms of design, Patrat would be number 4. Below Sentret, Zigzagoon and Bunnelby, but above Rattata and Bidoof.

Xertified

Shtposting is my life.
Years

Yup! I made him my HM Slave. Because, why the hell not right?

It's not that bad. I mean, it could learn variety of HM Moves.

pkmin3033

226 - MANTINE

600px-226Mantine.png

"While elegantly swimming in the sea, it ignores Remoraid that cling to its fins seeking food scraps."

Anything can happen in the next half hour! Today's Pokemon of the Day is Mantine! An amazing flying manta ray with a Remoraid on its underside - at least prior to Generation IV in the games and in its official artwork - Mantine was first introduced in Generation II, as a Silver exclusive. Despite having a respectable 140 base special defence and received a pre-evolution in Mantyke in Generation IV, Mantine has never been particulary useful in higher tiers of competitive battling, unlike its parallel Gold-exclusive Skarmory, which is noteable useful. In the anime, Mantine first appeared as a crystal/clone/illusion thing under the ownership of one Molly Hale in the third movie, where it systematically demolished Misty's Staryu. Unova Gym Leader Marlon also owned one - although it lost to Cameron's Samurott - and, flying in the face of her family's theme of rock-types, Brock's mother has one as well. It has made several other minor cameos.

Share your opinion, memories, and experiences of Mantine! As well as the general questions in the first post of this topic, here are some fun things to think about:

• The Remoraid on Mantine's underside has disappeared from its in-game model since Gen IV, despite the fact that Mantyke, first introduced in Gen IV, needs to be in the presence of a Remoraid to evolve. Would you like to see the Remoraid make a reappearance in the future, or is this a design change you approve of?
  • Mantine could be seen as a parallel to Skarmory, being a standalone flying-type exclusive and have more special oriented stats compared to Skarmory's physical oriented stats. Which of the two do you prefer?

Adam Levine

Years
The Remoraid on Mantine's underside has disappeared from its in-game model since Gen IV, despite the fact that Mantyke, first introduced in Gen IV, needs to be in the presence of a Remoraid to evolve. Would you like to see the Remoraid make a reappearance in the future, or is this a design change you approve of?

Change it back. It was a dumb decision. Why did they do that?

PageEmp

No money puns. They just don’t make cents.
Years
Did you choose Shieldon or Cranidos? What prompted your choice?
I dunno, but I guess I'm eaqual to both of them.

Why do you think Shieldon tries to polish its face using tree trunks of all things?
I dont think cloths existed 100000 years ago.

Bellsprout vs. Oddish - which is your favourite? Did you use Bellsprout as a part of a Blue/LeafGreen run due to its version exclusivity? Is this something you would consider doing in the future?
Bellsprout cause Leaf blade OP. As for the other question can't answer because I've never played blue or LG.

Were you annoyed that Bellsprout didn't get a Sun Stone final evolutionary stage in Generation II like Oddish did in Bellossom? If you had the opportunity to design one now, what would it look like?
Not really, but thats only cause I can't imaginge what it would look like.
Not really, when I picked him back all those 6 years ago I was like 'why not'? I just randomly chose it for no reason, and end of the day I was satisfied with my descision.

Maybe. I would definitely look forward to that with it being my favourite out of all the 18+ starters. I wouldn't at all mind if it stayed with just pure water, and an ability like strong jaw would be nice.

I recall using it in BW1, and that was mostly because the 2 rivals used the other 2 gen5 first routers XP.

It's okay I guess, better than Rattata for sure. But I think I prefer everyone else.

The Remoraid on Mantine's underside has disappeared from its in-game model since Gen IV, despite the fact that Mantyke, first introduced in Gen IV, needs to be in the presence of a Remoraid to evolve. Would you like to see the Remoraid make a reappearance in the future, or is this a design change you approve of?
I never realised the change... I guess I'm nuetral to it.

pkmin3033

686 - INKAY

600px-686Inkay.png

"Opponents who stare at the flashing of the light-emitting spots on its body become dazed and lose their will to fight."

You're a kid now, you're a squid now, you're a kid now, you're a squid now... Today's Pokemon of the Day is Inkay! A Dark/Psychic-type squid - flying in the face of expectation that it would be part water-type - first introduced in Generation VI, Inkay is actually a very unique little Pokemon. Its method of evolution - by holding the 3DS upside down from Level 30 - would actually have been impossible in prior generations, as the 3DS is Nintendo's first handheld to feature an internal gyroscope. It is the only Pokemon that can have Contrary as a normal ability, is part of a Water Egg group despite not being a water-type, and has its own signature move, Topsy-Turvy. In the anime, Inkay is currently James' primary - and only, in fact - Pokemon.

Share your opinion, memories, and experiences of Inkay! As well as the general questions in the first post of this topic, here are some fun things to think about:

• What do you think of Inkay's method of evolution? Would you like to see more Pokemon taking advantage of the 3DS' capabilities in the future?
  • What do you think of Inkay's typing? Would it be better as part-water?

Adam Levine

Years
What do you think of Inkay's method of evolution? Would you like to see more Pokemon taking advantage of the 3DS' capabilities in the future?

Oh, yes. I'd love to see something else like Inkay.

What do you think of Inkay's typing? Would it be better as part-water?

I'm OK with it for now. Sure, it has a 4x weakness to Bug and has no resistances, but it's got only two weaknesses. At least it has that.

Years
What do you think of Inkay's method of evolution? Would you like to see more Pokemon taking advantage of the 3DS' capabilities in the future?

I loved how creative Game Freak went with this evolution method, making use of the 3DS gyroscope like that. I remember when it was first leaked on PokeBeach and I was like "I hope that method is real because it looks cool" and it gave Inkay a lot of unique factor to it.

What do you think of Inkay's typing? Would it be better as part-Water?

I actually like how unique the Dark/Psychic combination is, and while its design may scream Water-type, being a squid which is usually a creature you find in water. I'm happy they went down a more unique and innovative route with its type because I always wanted a Dark/Psychic Pokemon for a long time.

PageEmp

No money puns. They just don’t make cents.
Years
I haven't tried it out yet... but i'm fine if it's the only line that has this evo method.

What do you think of Inkay's typing? Would it be better as part-Water?
Nope, I like it the way it is, as it's unique and it's fun to see aquatic mons that aren't part water. Maybe Gen7 will give us a plant mon that isn't part grass?

pkmin3033

337 - LUNATONE

337Lunatone.png

"Because it turns active on nights of the full moon, it is said to have some link to the lunar phases."

In the name of the Moon, I will punish you! Today's Pokemon of the Day is Lunatone! A floating rock shaped like a crescent moon, Lunatone is a fairly self-explanatory Pokemon: it comes out at night to right wrongs and triumph over evil, and its health is tied to the lunar phases. Its stats are a perfect mirror of its counterpart Solrock's, and is a version-exclusive to Sapphire and Alpha Sapphire, mirroring Solrock's exclusivity to Ruby and Omega Ruby. Despite having a fairly uncommon Rock/Psychic typing, its stats don't allow it to make much of an impact crater in higher competitive tiers and, despite being connected to the Moon, it doesn't learn any water-type moves. Eclipsed in power and notability, there is little else to be said. In the anime, Lunatone's sole major appearance was under the ownership of Gym Leader Liza, whose brother Tate used - surprise surprise - a Solrock.

Share your opinion, memories, and experiences of Lunatone! As well as the general questions in the first post of this topic, here are some fun things to think about:

• Would you like Lunatone to have a role in the upcoming Pokemon Sun and Moon? What form do you imagine this might take?
  • Solrock vs. Lunatone - who would win a battle in overcast skies at dawn?

blue

gucci
Years
I love Lunatone, I've always felt it to be kinda underrated.

Would you like Lunatone to have a role in the upcoming Pokemon Sun and Moon? What form do you imagine this might take?

It would be great to see both Lunatone and Solrock to have an important role in the games, or atleast get some much needed attention. Giving them a pre-evolution or Mega Evolution each would really work well for them imo.

Solrock vs. Lunatone - who would win a battle in overcast skies at dawn?

Probably Solrock. Both are equally strong obviously, but I think Solrock would have the edge over Lunatone.

pkmin3033

52 - MEOWTH

250px-052Meowth.png

"Adores circular objects. Wanders the streets on a nightly basis to look for dropped loose change."

Meeeeowth, that's right! Today's Pokemon of the Day is Meowth! One of the more well-known Pokemon for its prominent anime appearance as a member of Team Rocket, Meowth was introduced in the first generation. Whether Meowth's natural state is walking on two legs or four depends on which part of the media you give more credit to: whilst the game sprites and most artwork depicts Meowth standing on two legs, in the anime it is displayed as walking on all-fours, unless it goes through considerable pain in learning how not to...or puts on a pair of boots. Because cats in boots are always agile. Originally an exclusive to Pokemon Blue, Meowth has never been a particularly common Pokemon in the games, not being available at all outside of trading in Hoenn, Unova, or Kalos titles. Each time Meowth has appeared in the anime outside of Team Rocket, it has always had a prominent appearance, including Tyson's ridiculous-looking Meowth in boots, a wild Meowth that could kick boulders in half with a single blow, and Meowzie, the whole reason Team Rocket's Meowth learned to walk and talk in the first place...for all the good it did.

Share your opinion, memories, and experiences of Meowth! As well as the general questions in the first post of this topic, here are some fun things to think about:

• What do you think of Team Rocket's Meowth? Is it a character you've grown fond of, or are fed up with?
  • Do you think Meowth looks better standing on two legs, or walking on all fours? Which do you think is its natural state?
  • Do you think there are any other talking Meowth out there? Do you think we'll ever see another one in the anime?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back