• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Dusk Til Dawn: An Orre Story

PastelPhoenix

How did this even happen?
Years
    • Seen Nov 20, 2022
    Dusk Til Dawn: An Orre Story
    GM: PastelPhoenix (aka the guy posting this)

It has been 20 years since the actions of Wes, Rui, and Micheal have driven off Cipher and their Snagem allies, and in that time Orre has blossomed into a diamond within the harsh desert. Life has improved in the rougher parts of the region, crime is at a new low, and the construction of new settlements with highways and organized roads between them have spurred on a new sense of unity among the people of Orre. The influence of the other regions has also lead to the creation of a Pokemon league, but with Orre's own twist, The Colosseum Games.
    -
    But this progress has not come without resistance. Over the years many people have tried to recreate the past glory days of Cipher, but none have been able to fully replicate the Shadow Pokemon process, and most have resorted to lesser schemes before falling apart again. The vast majority of the groups have posed no real threat, however something is lurking just beneath the surface of Orre once more. There have been occasional reports of Pokemon with dark auras similar to the old Shadow Pokemon, and trainers are reporting that their Pokemon are being stolen once again. No group has come forward to claim that they have recreated the Shadow Pokemon or made new Snag Machines. For now these are treated as just rumors, but if the reports are true, it seems dark times may come to Orre once again.

So What Are We?
    Besides trainers? You're one of the few remaining people who hold a Snag Machine outside of the police. How you may have acquired it is entirely your business; you may be part of the front rescuing stolen Pokemon, an ex-member of one of the Snagem revivals, or you may have even just found it on the ground. What really matters is that you are one of the only people who may be able to liberate shadow Pokemon once again.

But liberating is not the reason for this journey, and you may not even know about the Shadow Pokemon rumors to start with. The Colosseum Games are in full swing, and with the Grand Colosseum Tournament on the horizon and the title of Colosseum King is about to be up for grabs once more. But in order to even compete, you'll need to collect a badge from each of the Colosseum Lords.

The Colosseum Games
    One of the biggest changes to Orre in the years following Cipher's fall is the introduction of the Colosseum Games. A unified League of all Orre's Colosseums has formed, setting formal rules and a singular goal for the colosseums. At it's core, the Colosseum Games are a public spectacle, a form of entertainment for everyone. Colosseum battles are open to the public, unlike many Gyms in other regions, and during Tournament season the stands tend to be packed. Also unlike the Gyms, Colosseums have qualifying conditions before you can even face the Lord of that particular Colosseum. The conditions change from Colosseum to Colosseum, from as simple as winning two matches against the Lord's staff, to running a maze or completing an obstacle course while you battle. Each Lord sets their own rules (with approval from the League), and some of just want to put on the best, most elaborate show possible. And although it is run for entertainment purposes, each Colosseum Lord is a top trainer in their own regards, and the title of Colosseum King is a title that holds as much prestige as Champion does in other regions.

Gathering Pokemon
    Despite the many advances elsewhere, Orre is still a desolate and barren land as far as wild Pokemon goes. Catching Pokemon is a different task here compared to many other journeys, and there is no definite way to obtain them. Currently there are three major ways to obtain Pokemon in Orre.

Poké Spots
    The most similar to catching Pokemon in other regions. Certain areas of Orre are home to small pockets of wild Pokemon. Poké Spots are few and far between, but they are free and offer the ability to catch any Pokemon found in the spot. Poké Spots have grown since last seen, with a few new ones popping up with a greater variety.

Import Shops
    The preferred method of most trainers in Orre. Large stores have opened up that import Pokemon from other regions that are then released in simulated environments for trainers to catch, for a fee. Import Shops have taken Orre by storm and have popped up in all major towns, with some even located on busy roads. The biggest draw of the stores are convenience as a wider variety of Pokemon than what can be found in Poké Spots, but trainers are limited by what they can afford, as well as what they can stock. The Pokemon still have to battled within these stores, so don't just expect them to hand you a Pokeball and be done with it.

Missions/Shadow Pokemon
    This is a Colosseum RP after all. Some... less than scrupulous trainers have received Pokemon with sealed hearts. These Pokemon appear in missions where rumors of certain trainers and particularly wild Pokemon exist. This is the most restrictive method of gaining Pokemon, but also the cheapest and most abundant. Shadow Pokemon are either set to a specific few Pokemon, or a general idea (i.e. Grass Starter) that is hinted at in the mission, but not outright stated. The reveal of the actual Pokemon up for grabs only comes from after you've accepted and confirmed the mission via PM (but really, I hope the hints aren't too vague, and I may end up having a few similar Pokemon offered like a "round Pokemon as tough as living stone" being a choice of Geodude, Roggenrola, or Carbink). Other Pokemon can be gained from mission in non-shadow mode also.

Misc.
    I do kind of want to make this close to tradition journey as you can make Orre, while still keeping it Orre, and obviously this proposal isn't 100% finished.

Like most RPs I've seen, no real keeping levels or stats for Pokemon, they learn moves at a time that seems appropriate and evolution just needs GM approval.

Shadow Pokemon are left in the hands of the players once they are acquired. Standard Shadow Pokemon rules apply (Frenzy Mode blocks non-shadow attacks, Cannot Evolve until purified), and like evolution, purification is up to the player with GM approval.

Building on purification, players have a purification device (name not decided yet) in addition to their Snag Machine. It can purify Pokemon whenever they are ready, so no need to use a set location like the actual game.

There is the basics of it. I submitted this as a Interest Check, mostly because there is no feedback option and it really isn't a help request. If there is any ideas that seem iffy here, or if you have an idea that you think works better, just let me know. It might be a little before I can get this out, since there is some work I have to do in order to actually add more content. I want to make Orre a little more like a normal region, with Roads (routes) and more cities, and actually have a map to show it. That's probably going to be the biggest challenge of this, and even if it doesn't prove feasible, it shouldn't bring everything down (shouldn't).

Chimchar

THE Chimchar Tamer
    Years
  • I never played Coliseum or anything, so I'm pretty unfamiliar with Orre. Despite that, this seems like it could be pretty fun. ;)

So, would the Coliseums be like the gyms in the Orange Islands? (if you've seen it) I remember Ash had one that was like a race and another aiming competition or something. It was fun to watch though, a nice change from the normal gyms. (I also think that they introduced double battles in one of them)

FireSnow

Show me that Fighting Spirit
    Years
  • Ooh yes! I loved Orre and Pokemon Coliseum so this really excites me! I'd say this is looking really good and I like the idea about the Lords in place of Gym Leaders.

Years
  • I would sign up for this in a heartbeat. But a couple of questions regarding mechanics:

1) Would it be possible for the player to catch legitimate Trainer-owned Pokemon via the Snag Machine (i.e. snagging Youngster Joey's Rattata)?

2) If so, what would be the consequences of doing so? Would you be an outlaw or something like that?

PastelPhoenix

Years
    • Seen Nov 20, 2022
    2) If so, what would be the consequences of doing so? Would you be an outlaw or something like that?

For the sake of unity, I don't think I'd allow snagging of legitimate Pokemon. I was aiming more for a good-aligned RP here, more in the vein of Colosseum and XD. As for the consequences, it would most certainly be a crime and you'd be on the run from the law if you snagged a random trainers Pokemon. Police reform has happened in the years since, and the level of police ineptitude seen in Colosseum is seen as an embarrassment. Snagging is more of a means to an end to resolve a bigger issue, Shadow Pokemon. Really the only way to get away with snagging is by the trainers not wanting to admit you snagged an illegal Pokemon.

Also for the sake of clarification just in case, snag machines alone are not illegal. It's treated in Orre like guns are treated in America. It is not illegal to own one, but it has illegal uses. Just like you can't go around shooting people in the streets, you can't just randomly snag Pokemon. Also of note, there are organizations, including the police, who deploy snag machines in an attempt to reclaim Shadow Pokemon. While they are currently seen as a bit archaic, due to no Shadow Pokemon currently being created to anyone's knowledge, they do exist.

Lastly, for another unasked question that I will still answer, being ex-Snagem or ex-Cipher is purely a background/personality choice. I'm assuming the characters had a change of heart about it, or at least have drifted away from it.

Chimchar

THE Chimchar Tamer
    Years
  • Lastly, for another unasked question that I will still answer, being ex-Snagem or ex-Cipher is purely a background/personality choice. I'm assuming the characters had a change of heart about it, or at least have drifted away from it.

Perhaps they are solely biding their time. ;)

I was also wondering, would there be a way to track currency with the Pokemon shops and such? Or would you just make it assumed "This guy has just enough to buy this,"?

PastelPhoenix

Years
    • Seen Nov 20, 2022
    Should be getting close to an actual launch for this. I have my "weekend" coming up soon, and I should be able to put down some time polishing everything as well as making the updated map. Hopefully I can get the OOC up this week.

PastelPhoenix

Years
    • Seen Nov 20, 2022
    I've got a rough map!

Link in spoilers because the map is too large for PC to display fully.

And a Key because although it is too large for PC, text is way too tiny on it.

Spoiler:

Also a few questions I asked myself about it, and will pretend all of you did, just so I can address some things I thought while making it.

Spoiler:

If there are any more questions or concerns let me know. Next thing on my docket is actually writing up the OOC and starting this Outskirt Stand running once more.

Back