• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

"10th enemy has the bomb"

Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Mar 22, 2024

Poor localization used to cause people a lot of grief back in the day - one famous example being "10th enemy has the bomb" in Legend of Zelda, which turns out was supposed to be "Look for the lion key" (there's a bit of dispute over this one, some people think they just decided to swap the hint with a completely different one).

Modern localization is better regulated, but once in a while, questionable phrases and translations sneak their way into games still. Have you encountered any amusing (or frustrating) examples of this?

Years
445x9Xs.jpg

Aquacorde

⟡ dig down, dig down ⟡
Years
honestly a lot of Ace Attorney translations are kind of questionable, at least in the old versions- I don't remember if they were fixed with some of the re-releases. makes them no less enjoyable, though. :D

SaniOKh

Too old for this stuff
Years
In Shadow the Hedgehog, there's a mission where you have to follow an enemy tank protected with a force field. Sonic, who is your assist character, basically says that the force field resists gunfire. While in reality, it's a translation error, and what he means to say (and what effectively happens in-game) is that you can pierce the force field if you attack it long enough with weapons... so the exact opposite of what you've been told.

There are other translation blunders in that game, but I don't remember them all.

JJ Styles

The Phenomenal Darling
Years
  • Age 35
  • NCR
  • Seen Nov 11, 2019
I think everyone remember these beauties:

Ghosts-N-Goblins.png

Ghost n Goblins ending screen

300x.jpg

Double Dragon 2's intro

Fatal-Fury-Special.jpg

I'm glad someone had a screencap of this. Fatal Fury Special was something of a memory to me.

Translation blunders which often led to either questionable grammar and deliciously funny typos were some of the guilty pleasure sources of entertainment back then. Obviously, cases like these are far less frequent now with better standards.

I wonder though, what about the reverse? As some may have known, Western video games were also localized in Japan. Borderlands 2 had a Japanese release, heck even League of Legends now has a Japanese localization. I wonder if the Japanese themselves have made some English to JP translation blunders.

Satoshi Ookami

Memento Mori
Years
I wonder though, what about the reverse? As some may have known, Western video games were also localized in Japan. Borderlands 2 had a Japanese release, heck even League of Legends now has a Japanese localization. I wonder if the Japanese themselves have made some English to JP translation blunders.
Isn't Engrish technically this? :D
I think finding something like this would be pretty hard.
Even if someone did find something, we could as well not get it because it would be something only fluent Japanese could understand.

And LoL has Aoi Yuuki, brilliant localization.

Back