• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Chit-Chat: Back to the Grind(stone)

Status
Not open for further replies.

JJ Styles

The Phenomenal Darling
Years
  • Age 35
  • NCR
  • Seen Nov 11, 2019
Well it's not that Smite's complicated, its just a lil bit or a lot different from League mainly since its a 3rd person brawler and not our RTS-esque brawler that most people are used to. I do say that Smite at its current state is a lot better than the time i played it for a few hours, which was during the Open Beta or something, all i remember was Guan Yu in the way older versions of smite being Magic Damage based and not the Physical damage that he is right now.

I just realized that the Video Games subforum has a section spotlight and I feel kinda tingly and happy inside : D.

So i just realized that for the past few days, I've been watching nothing but speedruns performed in AGDQs (Awesome Games Done Quick) and SGDQs (Summer Games Done quick).

ZetaZaku

AEUG Pilot
Years
W8 still offered separate interface due to METRO :P
In W10, they push the tiles to your face :P
What are you talking about? It's just the start menu that looks a bit different, but 99% of Win10 is exactly like Win7. For Win8.1 I still had to install apps to make it like Win7, but Win10 just looks normal.

Satoshi Ookami

Memento Mori
Years
What are you talking about? It's just the start menu that looks a bit different,
And that's still more than on W8. After you start up Desktop on W8, you don't need to use METRO at all. On W10, you are forced to use the interface everytime you use Start menu.

but 99% of Win10 is exactly like Win7. For Win8.1 I still had to install apps to make it like Win7, but Win10 just looks normal.
If it looked 99% EXACTLY like W7, the settings would have to be accessible immediately, not after 20 categories...

Don't get me wrong, I liked W8, but what they did to W10... I simply can't bring myself to liking it.

Kotone

someone needed a doctor?
Years
i like watching speed runs. i saw a guy do a speed run of mega man (not sure which one). then i saw a girl try to attempt a bioshock infinite speed run. she gave up cause she couldn't get the hat she needed for the speed run xD

JJ Styles

The Phenomenal Darling
Years
  • Age 35
  • NCR
  • Seen Nov 11, 2019
Someone did a live speed run of Wolfenstein the New Order on the most recent SGDQ i've watched live. I never thought that a 2014 game of that caliber could be speed runned with the typical 90's-2000s esque trigger skips and sequence breaks. I still couldn't get over them

I also been watching some speedruns where more than one people do the run on the same game. Like 4 players all speed running Megaman X2 so see which runner can complete the game first. It was quite an enchanting sight since it kinda reminded me of the really old school competitive gaming scene where it wasn't about PVP or ESPURTS but just a bunch of guys too see who reaches the finish line first. Oh wait, isn't that something like that movie The Wizard? Or something...

Also, oh shnap. Gears of War 4 IS OUT!

Yukari

I also been watching some speedruns where more than one people do the run on the same game. Like 4 players all speed running Megaman X2 so see which runner can complete the game first. It was quite an enchanting sight since it kinda reminded me of the really old school competitive gaming scene where it wasn't about PVP or ESPURTS but just a bunch of guys too see who reaches the finish line first. Oh wait, isn't that something like that movie The Wizard? Or something...

For some reason this reminds me of that guy who beat megaman X 1, 2, and 3 using one controller and completed them all at the same time.

He is God and I shall forever worship him.

EC

Years
  • Age 32
  • Seen Jul 1, 2022
Finally found all the roads in Forza Horizon 3 and drove down them all. All for 20 gamerscore. Great.

Yukari

I like speedrunning games more than watching speedruns. I've never really enjoyed watching other people play games much. o>

Satoshi Ookami

Memento Mori
Years
I like speedrunning games more than watching speedruns. I've never really enjoyed watching other people play games much. o>
But isn't watching speedruns helpful in your own speedrun?

I do agree with the second half of the post. Why watching other people playing a game when you can spend time playing something yourself =D

Yukari

But isn't watching speedruns helpful in your own speedrun?

I do agree with the second half of the post. Why watching other people playing a game when you can spend time playing something yourself =D

Maybe... But I don't have the attention span for it. cx

killer-curry

Oro.........?
Years
Ok, some random feel talk here BEH bsajfdsjhf.

so, sometimes when I want to grind something like legendary stuff , it makes me feel like the grinding is pain on my arse and slowish as sick. Buut, sometimes you did finally able to get those legendary things you actually did not know about, that feel is like diffferent. Am not sure, but those times really happen.

EDIT: 69

JJ Styles

The Phenomenal Darling
Years
  • Age 35
  • NCR
  • Seen Nov 11, 2019
It kinda feels good to just sit back, relax, and take a trick back to Pandora for the nth time to play some Borderlands 2 again, to suddenly realize that Ultimate Vault Hunter Mode in this game is just way too tedious to be relaxing, but at least i have the DLCs.. i should definitely play a bit more of BL: The Presequel considering how much I have been praising that game despite people saying it being nothing more than a giant DLC+reskin of BL2.

machomuu

Stuck in Hot Girl Summer
Years
I've never really enjoyed watching other people play games much. o>

Could be a number of things. In some cases it's to experience the story by proxy, in others it's simply in seeing how people other than you play (and react), and for others it's simply for the entertainment. Among other reasons.

I'd never touch FNAF myself, but after 8 years of being away from Horror games (and any Horror media in general) jumping back in wasn't so easy. Watching Markiplier play it was a pretty helpful gateway in breaking away from a largely unrelatable situation, and experiencing the story was fun as hell and segued me into taking a deeper look at environmental storytelling. And I watch Game Grumps everyday because I enjoy the commentary (put simply). AGDQ and SGDQ are wonderful because- well, I think of the three the appeal of speedruns should be pretty obvious. But those are my reasons, and they're pretty simple ones.

But I will say that playing a game and watching a game...well yeah, they aren't really comparable, but I don't think the appeal of either ever really implies that. I hear the "why watch someone else play a game when you could play it yourself" thing...well, not too often these days. Definitely years ago, though, and I think that really does just come from looking at it the wrong way. It's not really a matter of substitution in most cases, it's just a difference in media and intent. I mean, I'm not gonna say people don't just watch games instead of playing them because they don't want to use the time or shell out the cash, because of course they do (especially with VNs, which...oi. I have words.), but that's about as common as the times that games blow up because someone was playing, it piqued their interest, and they went out and bought it.

Yukari

Could be a number of things. In some cases it's to experience the story by proxy, in others it's simply in seeing how people other than you play (and react), and for others it's simply for the entertainment. Among other reasons.

I'd never touch FNAF myself, but after 8 years of being away from Horror games (and any Horror media in general) jumping back in wasn't so easy. Watching Markiplier play it was a pretty helpful gateway in breaking away from a largely unrelatable situation, and experiencing the story was fun as hell and segued me into taking a deeper look at environmental storytelling. And I watch Game Grumps everyday because I enjoy the commentary (put simply). AGDQ and SGDQ are wonderful because- well, I think of the three the appeal of speedruns should be pretty obvious. But those are my reasons, and they're pretty simple ones.

But I will say that playing a game and watching a game...well yeah, they aren't really comparable, but I don't think the appeal of either ever really implies that. I hear the "why watch someone else play a game when you could play it yourself" thing...well, not too often these days. Definitely years ago, though, and I think that really does just come from looking at it the wrong way. It's not really a matter of substitution in most cases, it's just a difference in media and intent. I mean, I'm not gonna say people don't just watch games instead of playing them because they don't want to use the time or shell out the cash, because of course they do (especially with VNs, which...oi. I have words.), but that's about as common as the times that games blow up because someone was playing, it piqued their interest, and they went out and bought it.
I mean, I know why people watch LPs, but I have ADHD, so I need some form of interaction or else I get really bored really fast.

This is why it takes me so long to watch a 20+ episode anime. haha

JJ Styles

The Phenomenal Darling
Years
  • Age 35
  • NCR
  • Seen Nov 11, 2019
For what it is, I've definitely improved in many aspects of gameplay after I've seen a couple of handy dandy streamers and youtube content creators who were not just good with the game they are playing, but also offered a lot of insightful commentary such as their thought processes in-game, and how certain things are executed. This was one of the sources of how I became competent in playing League. I learned from experienced players by watching them play, then thinking about my own level of play and how i can improve upon it based on what I'm good at, and what I've learned from, found time to play, and just played and eventually kept learning and improving.

At least during the older days of League (Pre 2016) where many League streamers were very informative and insightful on their commentary. Nowadays, most League streamers, just go with some League related memes and whatnot to provide an enjoyable experience to their audience, much to their audiences benefit, that part of the audience that prefers to watch the personality playing the game and not the game itself. (I'd blame imaqtpie for it but from time to time, he's still an informative streamer when he feels like it. Though many league streamers, even the big ones, try too hard to be imaqtpie)

In short, to me, it takes a a*sload of skill, concentration, and especially patience when delivering top-tier gameplay + insightful commentary. I kid you not. It looks easy but it definitely is not, especially when playing multiplayer where many many factors can pretty much affect the quality of the content, and the mood one is at.

Spoiler:

Arsenic

[div=font-size: 18px; font-family: 'Kaushan script
Years
PAYDAY 2 added the Cyre Precision Six12 shotgun!!! I'm sure no one here cares but I could squee right now I've waited years for any game to add this gun!!!

JJ Styles

The Phenomenal Darling
Years
  • Age 35
  • NCR
  • Seen Nov 11, 2019
I was watcing ProJared's playthrough of Mighty No 9 and this one came out from him:

"I'm wondering if this is going to appear in any AGDQ... 'Oh hello, I'm a Mighty No, 9 speedrunner, please pity me".... but watching ProJared just play through the game... wow, i felt every bit of frustration that he had in playing the game.

Hmmmm next year's AGDQ or SGDQ and Mighty No. 9? Too bad it can't because it isn't an awesome game .
In other regards:
I should definitely go to the store and buy my copy of Shadow Warrior 2, should it ever get a physical release. I

El Héroe Oscuro

IG: elheroeoscuro
Years
PAYDAY 2 added the Cyre Precision Six12 shotgun!!! I'm sure no one here cares but I could squee right now I've waited years for any game to add this gun!!!

What are your opinions on PayDay 2? I personally haven't played the game myself, but I've heard some nasty bits about how the developers are really shitty towards their consumers as with the console ports of their game.

Arsenic

[div=font-size: 18px; font-family: 'Kaushan script
Years
What are your opinions on PAYDAY 2? I personally haven't played the game myself, but I've heard some nasty bits about how the developers are really shitty towards their consumers as with the console ports of their game.

It was easily one of my favorite games and I've legally sunk 246 hrs into it. The game play is really straight forward, walk into a joint and shoot the shit out of everything with an ever expanding arsenal of classic (and a couple more modern) heist weapons, or go in sneaky-beaky like with some rather solid, but simple stealth. It has a large pool of both free and paid DLC and they normally have a large free dlc event every year that stretches about 10 days (One is taking place now, Hoxton's Housewarming Party). All the Paid DLC is rather expensive btw, I think it has to be over $80 worth now (of 4 and 6$ packs).

I got cold to the series last year when during the free dlc event (which unlocks stuff via copies and bonus content sold) they 'rewarded' our work with microtransaction 'safes' (the same thing as cases in CSGO) A lot of regular players boycotted the game and a few months ago they... well took a step in the right direction towards righting their wrong in making all of their new safes free. I still try and get them (along with others) to abandon the system alltogether. What makes this worse is their PR head promised no MTs in the game and said they hated them before the game originally released.

Oh and the game and DLC are not strangers to 75% off sales.

All in all it's a great and simple game. The Devs have been good to us, but have made bad choices that alienated large parts of the community but it's getting better.

And since you mentioned console. Don't. It might as well be a PC exclusive cause console people get ignored hard core. They keep releasing new editions with all the DLC but never add anything that releases after (or patches) until the next re-re-re-re-re-release of the game in 'bout a years time or more.

If you have any questions on specific things, I got well over 400 hrs all together so hopefully I can answer whatever. Just ask!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back