• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Then vs. Now Gaming

Years
  • February 1986: "Okay guys, we only have until December to be finished and can't afford any huge mistakes like last time! We only have one shot at this, we have better get it right. Debugging will take place from, hopefully, Mid-October to late November. We need to make sure that the art style is consistent for the game and cover art and that there are no glitches or bugs in the code otherwise we're screwed. I've been talking back and forth with Jake in accounting..."

February 2016: "Not done? Fuck it. We'll fix it with DLC."

killer-curry

Oro.........?
    Years
  • I really agree to lot of things that people said above, extra contents are getting more payable and simply just of little things, kids trolling in COD online , and huge toxic level had increased over the years.

Welp, I cannot disagree that the game contents in AAA just turn from a mild strong coffee into tasteless but visually appealing coffee, and sometimes the game release just so frequent that the quality had dropped down into a certain level. Like you the same thing every time, where's the exciting part?

I really love some games like Valve Games and other as well, because the content is just juicy and full with exciting things also with better price to value the good gameplay. Even though, they put a real effort and time to make games, the quality control is awesome and impressive.

About online games, I currently playing Counter Strike. Previously I tried Cod 4 back in 2008 till 2010 , those times are kinda ok because the players are not really that bad, till like 2013 I moved to Counter Strike Online to play which still okish, but when I change my game into Counter Strike GO , wow the players are totally different than. I think of. Allegations, vote kicks of people who had good kills, and some other really annoying things that I really do not like. And slowly I step away from CS GO and play back 1.6 , which I bought like a year. The pro players are still there but they are way better than GO players in terms of communication, teamwork, skills.

My conclusion is the games are getting tasteless, players are still ok but sometimes they are just literally screaming people lel.

Years
    • UK
    • Seen Oct 17, 2023
    I think the one big thing that gaming has lost of this time, due to the double-edged sword that is The Internet, is the mystery behind gaming. There used to be all those rumours, reported in Gaming magazines or on the first gaming forums that would pass round the community by word of mouth.

The wouldn't necessarily be difficult to do, once you know how, but it added a huge sense of excitement.

These days, most surprises are leaked early or hacked out in to the open.

JJ Styles

The Phenomenal Darling
    Years
  • I figured that i let this out of the way:

I think from a few years ago, lets say around 2005 where i really started to git guud when it comes to being updated with the video gaming related medium, i always had high hopes to some big releases and some upcoming not new titles. But a part of that changed when titles such as Duke Nukem Forever was allowed to be released, and even though its 2016, i still feel that Duke Nukem Forever was such a damgaging thing.

Anyway, I've learned a lot to at least keep expectations at the base level. Overhyping things have always backfired on me to the point that it almost felt psychologically harmful. I was glad that certain games released this year actually ended up being FAR BETTER than what i expected them to be (I've mentioned a certain game released on May 13, 2016 being a shining example of such a surprisingly great game where i had low expectations).

I'm not saying that I should always be cynical about some big new releases coming this year and the next. I've learned to always keep expectations at a base level and look at things with an open mind.

Years
    • Seen Nov 8, 2016
    grip all you want about "quality of games these days", but back then when game rags were expensive and before youtube came out you had to guess whether a game is good or not mainly from the packaging

Satoshi Ookami

Memento Mori
    Years
  • DLC I'm more lenient with... But just like everything else it's been getting worse. All I need is this picture to describe it.

301964-1448139906-wide.jpg
    Lol, I knew about this picture
    games-now-and-then-burgers-original-game-expansion-pack-dlc-content.jpg

but Mona Lisa is even better!

Hands

I was saying Boo-urns
    Years
    • Age 33
    • Seen yesterday
    I remember back in the SNES days, I had three or four games that I spent my hard-earned money on and then couldn't even play beyond a few levels because they were too abominably hard.

In fairness there were a lot of horribly coded games back then that were just legit impossible to finish haha

JJ Styles

The Phenomenal Darling
    Years
  • Before: As a kid, I would usually consult on walkthroughs or even full guides to help me finish a game because I had the bad habit of getting stuck often.

Now: Consulting on walkthroughs kinda ruins the experience for me UNLESS its absolutely necessary for me to read on a certain part on how to get out of a section that I desperately need to get out off.

Also, i used to b*tch about the hard level difficulty in video games then i realized that its actually quite enjoyable to play on the hardest difficulty settings provided that the game is still well balanced on such difficulty setting.

Back