• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

5th Gen Tastes Change Daily

FireSnow

Show me that Fighting Spirit
Years
  • When we first play a Pokemon game, we all have immediate favorites the first time we play through the game. As the years go by though, we may find that the Pokemon we liked most at first may not even be in our top 10 for that region anymore, let alone number 1. Every Pokemon game is like this, including BW/BW2.

For me, my favorite Pokemon at first was the awesome Dewott. I used to think I would always love this Pokemon but now its well outside the top 10 for me, though I do still like it course. Nowadays though, its Golurk. This Pokemon has really come to be a really cool Pokemon in my eyes and has inserted itself into the conversation as my favorite Pokemon all-time.

So tell me, how have your tastes changed? This could also be about features in the games, trainers, towns/cities, Pokemon you hated but now love (looking at you Trubbish) and vice versa, you name it.

Aquacorde

⟡ dig down, dig down ⟡
    Years
  • I really liked Audino? Why did I really like Audino??? What a mystery.

Overall, though, Unova has really grown on me as a region! I used to hate it. I still think the story is oftentimes to linear, and Pok?Star is terrible, but I actually really love the layout and places in Unova. Except Castelia. So dingy.

classiccartoonsftw

Nintendo is for awesome people
    Years
    • Seen Jan 18, 2017
    In this gen, the Pokemon that I loved almost immediately include Serperior, Chandelure, Ferrothorn, Volcarona, Galvantula, Excadrill, Haxorus, Reuniclus, Braviary, Hydreigon, and male Jellicent.

There are also Pokemon that needed some time to grow on me. These include Dewott, Samurott, Seismitoad, Lilligant, Throh, Sawk, Sigilyph, Cinccino, Eelektross, and Beartic.

Years
    • Seen Jul 2, 2023
    I'm not sure if my ranking order for Unova Pokemon has changed that much, but sadly, I think my opinion of them has declined over time. I'm just not that partial to gen 5 Pokemon (blasphemy on this forum, I know!), and while there are a few I'm fairly fond of (Oshawott's line because I like water starters, Joltik/Galvantula for no particularly good reason, I just think they're cool, Blitzle/Zebstrika, Cubchoo/Beartic because I love polar bears, the fossils, etc.), I think I'm less enthralled by them now than I was a couple of years ago. I guess I need to get back into gen 5 a bit more, and maybe they would grow on me again.

In general, I seem to like animal-themed Pokemon, so most of those have remained high on my list (same is true for other generations), while the opposite is true for a lot of the more amorphous or humanoid Pokemon. I suppose one line I've begun to like more is the Deino line. Hydreigon's many heads intimidated me a bit at first, but now, I really like it, and I've begun to use it on some of my newer teams (more on gen 6 than gen 5, but that's because I didn't like it that much when I played gen 5). I also want to use Haxorus sometime, as I didn't really use it much when I first played gen 5.

Back