• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

A question about the NS.

Mr. Meme

Me? Acting serious? HAHAHAHAHAHAHA
Years
  • So, as we all know, the big thing with the NS is that you can combine the controller and console, and turn it into a handheld. Now, one of the games they showed off was Skyrim.

So, am I getting this right when I say we're gonna have PORTABLE SKYRIM? Or am I missing something, and I didn't watch the trailer carefully enough?

Because if I'm right, then Dear God, this could be a system seller right here.

Arsenic

[div=font-size: 18px; font-family: 'Kaushan script
    Years
  • Could be a disk, I more think it's going to be a streaming game. Haven't been following the "switch" very much tbh since I have a Shield tablet already : )

machomuu

Stuck in Hot Girl Summer
    Years
  • It probably will be, though they haven't confirmed it yet (nor have many other developers).

But honestly...I mean, getting Skyrim on the NX seems like a missed opportunity to me, especially if you're opting for that over the PS4, Xbone, or ideally, the PC versions. Portability's nice, but mods are what make the game playable. Well, a good chunk of people tend to play the game vanilla for longer than I'd be able to remain sane doing the same, so I won't discredit the vanilla game's crowd appeal.

But unless you do have one of those versions, picking this one solely for portability in a game that doesn't really handle replayability all that well...I dunno. I'd just wait for the totally-remaining-hopeful-that-it-will-exist-someday ES6 to get an Elder Scrolls title to play on-the-go...though even then I'd probs say the same thing.

Nah

Years
    • Age 31
    • she/her, they/them
    • Seen today
    There's admittedly not much reason to get just an HD version of Skyrim really, when people still have functioning systems that can play it.

Now if they fixed some of the bugs/glitches and included all 3 DLC packages, then I'd consider buying Skyrim for the Switch.

machomuu

Stuck in Hot Girl Summer
    Years
  • There's admittedly not much reason to get just an HD version of Skyrim really, when people still have functioning systems that can play it.

Now if they fixed some of the bugs/glitches and included all 3 DLC packages, then I'd consider buying Skyrim for the Switch.
    Assuming it's Skyrim Special Edition, the version that's coming out in a couple of days, (which, honestly, I'd be absolutely baffled if it wasn't), it should contain the DLC. As for fixing bugs and glitches...well, it's Bethesda. I definitely believe that older bugs and glitches will attempt to be fixed, but that will probably give rise to many, many new ones.

Which'll likely need to be fixed with mods. Which the Switch likely won't get. And it might seem like I'm plugging the mod thing hard, but back when it was released on PS3 it had constant freezing and even crashing for almost a year after a release (if not longer). And since they aren't advertising fixes...well, you can see why this makes me a bit nervous.

El Héroe Oscuro

IG: elheroeoscuro
    Years
  • It probably will be, though they haven't confirmed it yet (nor have many other developers).

But honestly...I mean, getting Skyrim on the NX seems like a missed opportunity to me, especially if you're opting for that over the PS4, Xbone, or ideally, the PC versions. Portability's nice, but mods are what make the game playable. Well, a good chunk of people tend to play the game vanilla for longer than I'd be able to remain sane doing the same, so I won't discredit the vanilla game's crowd appeal.

But unless you do have one of those versions, picking this one solely for portability in a game that doesn't really handle replayability all that well...I dunno. I'd just wait for the totally-remaining-hopeful-that-it-will-exist-someday ES6 to get an Elder Scrolls title to play on-the-go...though even then I'd probs say the same thing.
    Skyrim doesn't need replayability though. Skyrim is one of those games like the Fallout series that you can easily sink 100-200+ hours into, so that easily replaces the replayability argument for shorter games. Include mods - if Bethesda was to ever work out a deal with Nintendo somehow - and you're talking a great deal of extra hours as well.

Nah

Years
    • Age 31
    • she/her, they/them
    • Seen today
    Assuming it's Skyrim Special Edition, the version that's coming out in a couple of days, (which, honestly, I'd be absolutely baffled if it wasn't), it should contain the DLC. As for fixing bugs and glitches...well, it's Bethesda. I definitely believe that older bugs and glitches will attempt to be fixed, but that will probably give rise to many, many new ones.

Which'll likely need to be fixed with mods. Which the Switch likely won't get. And it might seem like I'm plugging the mod thing hard, but back when it was released on PS3 it had constant freezing and even crashing for almost a year after a release (if not longer). And since they aren't advertising fixes...well, you can see why this makes me a bit nervous.
    Ah that's good.....assuming the Switch version is going to be the special edition, like you said.

I've always kinda wondered though why Bethesda games tend to have a lot of bugs (or why there's the possibility of them creating more than they fix)? This is a pretty common thing in their games. If I was them I'd, y'know, want to make my games as bug free as is realistically possible. Especially when Skyrim's been out for about 5 years now. Or are they ok with this for some reason/are fine with letting the gaming community sort of fix things for them?

I can understand the nervousness. Given their track record this'll probably be buggy as fuck too and without mods (not that I ever used them) we have to rely on Bethesda to fix them....which they don't seem terribly inclined to do.

But I supposed we don't need to worry about it to much till whenever in 2017 this launches.

machomuu

Stuck in Hot Girl Summer
    Years
  • Skyrim doesn't need replayability though. Skyrim is one of those games like the Fallout series that you can easily sink 100-200+ hours into, so that easily replaces the replayability argument for shorter games. Include mods - if Bethesda was to ever work out a deal with Nintendo somehow - and you're talking a great deal of extra hours as well.
    I'm not saying that the game's worse for lack of replayability, that's a separate discussion (that I would love to have, even). What I'm saying is that the grand majority of the people would buy a Switch version will likely already have sunk those hours into the game.

I'm not going to assume mods will be included because I have no real reason to believe that Nintendo would support that type of thing- well, looking solely historically, they wouldn't (but who knows). And that already removes a lot of the appeal that the Xbone and the PC (and potentially the PS4, we'll see how that goes) have over the Switch in that regard. Mods + portability would indeed make for a mouth-watering experience, and certainly that would make for another romp in the land of Skyrim far more palatable- hell, it already does, but I see the likelihood of that actually happening as being pretty close to zero.

El Héroe Oscuro

IG: elheroeoscuro
    Years
  • I'm not saying that the game's worse for lack of replayability, that's a separate discussion (that I would love to have, even). What I'm saying is that the grand majority of the people would buy a Switch version will likely already have sunk those hours into the game.

I'm not going to assume mods will be included because I have no real reason to believe that Nintendo would support that type of thing- well, looking solely historically, they wouldn't (but who knows). And that already removes a lot of the appeal that the Xbone and the PC (and potentially the PS4, we'll see how that goes) have over the Switch in that regard. Mods + portability would indeed make for a mouth-watering experience, and certainly that would make for another romp in the land of Skyrim far more palatable- hell, it already does, but I see the likelihood of that actually happening as being pretty close to zero.

The only reason why I can't - and think other people as well - rule out mod support for the system is because don't forget, Microsoft and PlayStation didn't really accept mod support with their games until this current generation (correct me if I'm wrong with that with PlayStation, I know that's the case for Xbox.) I think those big companies are becoming more lenient and gamer-friendly with their consoles, so I wouldnt rule out Nintendo just yet because let's face it, Nintendo is pretty slow to get with the times more often than not tech wise (looking at you games in HD.)

True, I think most people have sunk many hours into the game already. However, just like how Xbox One and PlayStation 4 sales are going to dictate soon, gamers are still going to invest in this remastering because it's 1.) been roughly five years since it first hit the market 2.) it was the GOTY or at the very least a contender for many gamers and 3.) will want to scratch that Elder Scrolls itch if they skipped over Elder Scrolls Online. However, Nintendo does have the unfortunate situation where they are promoting Skyrim on the Switch, but gamers will have 4 months to play the remastered version early if they do choose so.

I think the showing of Skyrim in the trailer was moreover to express "hey look at this, we've got 3rd party (AAA) support again" than "buy our console for Skyrim." The option is out there for gamers, but like I said, they have other alternative consoles to play it on, which is why I think they showcased Skyrim for the reason above.

Back