• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Time well spent (?)

Years
    • Age 29
    • Seen Mar 22, 2024
    Do you spend more time than you should playing games? Which game(s) would you say you've played the most ever, and how many hours have you sunken into them (if you play them on a platform/console that logs playtime for you)?

Years
    • Seen Nov 8, 2016
    the civilization games, playing the hell out of it since civ2 and it always feels half-digital antfarm half-emergent storytelling to me

Arsenic

[div=font-size: 18px; font-family: 'Kaushan script
    Years
  • Garry's Mod
    You've played: 2739 hours

Review: It's ok

I think I've spent way too much time playing games. To the point I feel like I've wasted a large chunk of my life and that I've screwed myself and will be going nowhere in life.

Yay.

Years
  • I don't spend nearly as much time gaming as I used to. Back in the day when I played online a bunch I probably had playtime in the quadruple digits. Nowadays I'm lucky to get a few hours a week in.

I would actually like to play more than I do. I don't think time in video games is time wasted. It's a big stress reliever for me. I also derive creative benefits from gaming, they help my think in different ways, and they offer opportunities for unique social interactions.

I don't regret the amount of time I spend gaming. It's an important part of who I am!

User19sq

If my playtime is drastically higher than average, it's usually because I'm idling while listening to the BGM.

Years
  • I've spent way more time than I should have in both World of Warcraft and Skyrim. I have an ungodly amount of hours in those games. In between school semesters starting from 7th grade onward I've just spent most of my free time playing games. Summer breaks were horribly uneventful so I was (un)fortunate enough to be able to dive into the world of video games for weeks when I wasn't doing anything else.

I often feel like I could and should be doing more productive things in my free time, but I'm too addicted to the fantasy worlds constructed in video games. It's a nice escape from reality. Lately, however, I've been playing less and focusing on actual productivity more.

Years
    • Seen Jun 4, 2017
    So long as you're able to pause when people are talking to you or want your help, you're not too far gone.

I don't regret spending as much time and money as I have on games, as I'm passionate enough about them where I don't consider playing something new a waste of time. I enjoy learning about the history of games, and I enjoy playing all the stuff I've missed out on in the past.

I've lately been playing a bunch of the old classic arcade games I never played like Elevator Action, Q*Bert, BurgerTime, and Lock 'n' Chase. These are games I had always heard about, but never really seen or played. My brain gets all super stimulated when I finally see them and understand what they're all about.

For the sake of keeping my brain active, keeping myself entertained, and keeping my thirst for knowledge in life active, I consider my time with games very well spent. :)

Years
  • Ah, Burger Time, such a classic. Eggs and sausages. . . anyways, sometimes I do ask myself if they've damaged my relations to others and sometimes I come up with different answers. Did they keep me up late? Yes. Should I have played them when I had school work? No. Did they prevent me from having an active social life? Maybe. Sometimes I take real long breaks from gaming and type instead, although it's not much better I can at least get real work done at the same time.

So. . . yes and no. No, I haven't accomplished anything I'd show to a professor of history but I feel like I have a good time.

TY

I don't spend too much time on games, the rest just spends way too little on games :]

I probably spent more time in games than into anything else... I do take breaks for food and drinks and no its not always the bad type of food :P
    I regret nothing though~

Lize

Forever paired with [b]machomuu[/b]
    Years
    • Age 27
    • Seen Mar 25, 2023
    rvgSYOau

in 3 months. yes, too much time.

Satoshi Ookami

Memento Mori
    Years
  • Nope, I don't play enough.
    I want to play more.

As for the biggest hours count... probably over 500 hours on Heroes 2. It's fairly random guess but I played it throughout my childhood, I'm sure I would accumulate.

El Héroe Oscuro

IG: elheroeoscuro
    Years
  • Obvious things you cannot affect. Work, traveling to work and other responsibilities.
    Since I no longer can play 10 or more hours per day, I'm in state where I want to play more =D

Woah what, you were in situations that you played 10+ hours of video games?! Give me that life haha (;

Years
  • Woah what, you were in situations that you played 10+ hours of video games?! Give me that life haha (;
    Hm. He must be retired ohohoho! I try to fit in some when I can, but it's difficult now as it stands. I played a little bit of Sheltered today. For about 20 minutes. Then I hopped on here to type away. I feel like I don't waste so much time on videogames but can use this to draw at least something from gaming. Music is one of them.

Years
    • Seen Aug 4, 2017
    Let me see:

I'll just say that among the games I've played for an extended period of time, I have to say League of Legends and Counter Strike (basically every version that was used for competitive play).

Counter Strike:
    - Basically the first competitive video game i seriously invested to the point where fighting in money waged matches was one of the more common things me and an old crew did. 5v5 matches. Then joined in tournaments, won a couple but mainly on the backs of a really good team that i worked with, then new versions such as CS Source and eventually CSGO. I could have spent even more time playing Counter Strike professionally, earned more money doing what i do, but unfortunately i had CERTAIN FRIENDS who at one point inbetween my vacation periods, eventually introduced me to the world of DotA, and at 2010, League of Legends.. I still played Counter Strike professionally while casually enjoying League of Legends but as the CS scene in my country started to fade out in exchange for DotA and League, i had to choose something.

League of Legends:
    - around 6 years and counting. Unfortunately, a really good friend of mine had to introduce this game to me since I didn't enjoy DotA that much and Pinoy Counter Strike wasn't exactly a profitable thing to invest on. I've played during the very early days of League much like that good friend of mine did but unlike him, I took Ranked way more seriously than he did and actually got me into very high elo, and when the Philippine server developed its own competitive scene in the game, i decided to be invested in that competitive scene. I joined up with an organization who i felt very invested with, had a team that was quite disciplined, we somehow matched well against some of the top dogs within our competitive scene, but unfortunately some changes in the metagame were starting to affect our team's playstyle and an unfortunate wrist injury made me unable to keep up with the strict training regiments that we had. I was benched understandably, but eventually made to step down because our organization didn't want to support a sub system between laners of different playstyles. They wanted a more consistent playstyle in the top lane (Tanky/utility instead of the carry based/win lane win game split pushing threat that I did) and with several roster changes to other positions because of talent acquisitions.

Thinking of my past experience as a pro and now enjoying my time as a filthy ranked casual, I reflect on the times that i had. I enjoyed every bit of it. I was able to do things that i liked doing but at the same time appreciate the strict training regiments that highly motivated organizations have to do to its main weapons - the players. Right now I'm teamless and I choose to be. I get people trying to talk to me that they wanna go pro as well as an alternative lifestyle and I keep telling em that its not as easy as you think. I've experienced what it feels like to earn some $$$ when you win, but obviously prize money won in tourneys doesn't exactly go to players first. Obviously. It sucks when your org actually delays the payment of your past services because of "financing issues" even if you've felt entitled for that on-time payment for basically carrying that team into where it was. It blows when team organizers start dropping talent that teammates were good friends that built synergy with, in exchange for theoretically "better" talent that would fit the metagame more but ultimately fail because team orgs often forget how to let people gel with each other's playstyles and personalities. But at least for a time being, it certainly did beat being in a lowly job that one probably took because it was of choice or worse, hell if you enjoy your typical job as a productive citizen, more power to you m8 and make sure not to forget to use my code, then we can slap each other with high fives and get some lovely dames to mess around with. And should i get well adjusted to my wrist injury maybe i could go back to playing competitively but I need to find a DIFFERENT game with a thriving scene. Most of my old teammates who I played League have already retired or are busy playing Overwatch and trying to build their competitive edge there, even my former CTs/Ts aren't playing as much as they should, and have also moved to Overwatch as their main competitive venture. I'm stuck playing League since its a game that I can still play with my wrist injury, and CSGO, well again, our country doesn't even have a talent pool for CSGO to try being teammates with, but its still fun to spend hours and hours per match planting bombs, rushing A or B, doing some ninja defuses and quickscopes despite the wrist injury.

Who's that typing in the chat about his fallings? Oh look, its the teamless PEEPEE C**mings.

Last edited:

El Héroe Oscuro

IG: elheroeoscuro
    Years
  • Hm. He must be retired ohohoho! I try to fit in some when I can, but it's difficult now as it stands. I played a little bit of Sheltered today. For about 20 minutes. Then I hopped on here to type away. I feel like I don't waste so much time on videogames but can use this to draw at least something from gaming. Music is one of them.

Never heard of Sheltered! What kind of game is that like?

Back