• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Autosaving . . . Please wait.

Years
  • Have you ever gotten a game that only has autosaving as its only feature? I have, and it sucks! I recall several games that do this but of them all is Dead Space 3, which saves your ammo but not your progress, which can effectively mean you're dead in the water at the higher difficulty settings if you ever turn the game off and come back to it later! What games made you so angry with their saving features that made you stop playing the game out of frustration?

Years
    • They/Them
    • Seen Jan 17, 2023
    I believe Hyper Light Drifter is autosave only. At least it saves frequently, so that if you wanna quit, it's not that hard to do so without losing any progress. Unlike your example with Dead Space 3, I don't believe it's possible to screw yourself over in that game (although, I haven't beaten it yet, so I can't say for sure).

Not sure I've ever played a game that features a save system so frustrating that I stopped playing it, though...

Arsenic

[div=font-size: 18px; font-family: 'Kaushan script
    Years
  • I think this thread is supposed to be a autosave hate thread... but...

I quite like autosave. Now if there is no manual save feature that has its downfalls but I find is mostly a console exclusive problem.

Autosave is a great way that I don't have to stop and think, oh I should save in-case I randomly get pw3nd by some random base-class enemy, and only have to manual save when you think you need to (ala big fight, navigation experiment, etc...)

Autosave turns your "Ugh I forgot to save and have to make up 5 hours of gameplay" into "Ugh I forgot to save and I have to make up this dungeon"

Satoshi Ookami

Memento Mori
    Years
  • I actually agree with Arsenic, I like autosave. I can't count how many hours I lost by not saving on RPGs.
    Sure, it may be annoying to not to be able to save whenever you want when you need to leave the game and combination is definitely the best thing but autosave-only is definitely not something I would hate. On the contrary.

Years
  • I absolutely hate auto save if it is the only way of saving, so you basically have to guess where the game decides to save and possibly lose a lot of progress, and there is no way to replay parts you liked. Actually put down AC 2 when I first played it for a while because I only finished 2/3 of the missions in the current sequence and then went to get an Assassins Seal, and I ended up having to redo it all when I decided to play it next time.

IMO the best way to handle saving would be to have multiple save slots and prompt for a save every now and then.

Last edited:

Decendant

Jack o' Trades
    Years
    • Seen Apr 18, 2017
    Auto saves are good and bad, they really need to have manual saving too otherwise you get those autosaves after some pivotal moment.

Reunilu

of the Eastern Skies
    Years
  • Exclusively video games? I think just Splatoon, but I'm not sure if there could be anything that could go wrong with autosave in that game.

But generally, I don't really mind autosave. I have it all the time with Fate/Grand Order and Kantai Collection. Sucks sometimes when it comes to like, skills in F/GO and sinking girls in Kantai Collection (which I swear to NEVER do), but overall autosave takes a load off my mind. I just remind myself to be careful with autosave.

Last edited:

JJ Styles

The Phenomenal Darling
    Years
  • I don't necessarily hate a game because of a strict auto-save only feature but I do like to say that a strictly auto-save only policy in video games is not really that bad especially for those with short attention spans.

But for individuals such as myself who actually value the nature of trial-error-quicksave and try again from the good ole days, autosave-only is kind of a blow, but still not enough for me to hate a game. Though, i would still say that there are at times that i feel that just being able to quicksave is far more convenient for myself rather than relying in the more modern checkpoint->Autosave system combo that almost every game uses nowadays.

Just letting this out, when Doom 2016 didn't have a quicksave + Load feature and had a checkpoint+Autosave feature instead, that kinda let me down a bit, but obviously not enough to ruin the game. For the most part, Doom 2016's autosave+checkpoint system was rather fair and just, but there are times that i wished that i could just quicksave and then load on the very spot that i quick saved at. Doom (and Idsoftware games in general) had always had the nature of trial and error in their games, whether it be a big arena fight against a bunch of enemies or navigating through some complicated mazes with death traps along the way, and what made playing those games comfortable for those with concentrated attention spans was quicksaving.

So yes, I don't necessarily hate on autosaves as it saves everyone's time for the most part. Its very common for everyone to simply flow through a game's campaign and story in one or two binges, especially those who are completely immersed that having to pause and manually save would immediately break immersion or that suspension of disbelief.

Back