• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Your "Role" in Video Games Discussion

JJ Styles

The Phenomenal Darling
Years
  • jN4GNcx.jpg

Here's something that I've always wanted to ask about. What's your role when it comes to discussion on video games, whether it be one specific game, or several areas in a spectrum.

To make things a little clearer, I've provided a bunch of examples that may reflect your "role" in games discussion. Courtesy of Vault-Tec, Vault Boy (and probably Vault Girl) are here to visualize your "role" in games discussion.

latest

The Combat Hardcore Veteran
    Spoiler:

tumblr_nca3x4edey1t6qjl4o5_250.png

The Smark:
    Spoiler:

7.png

Achievement Hunter
    Spoiler:

8.png

Honorary Orator
    Spoiler:

Awo6uYYhNVzR5iDO.png

Sneering Imperialist
    Spoiler:

2197868-you_run_barter_town.png

The Bartering Salesman
    Spoiler:

latest

The Lore Master
    Spoiler:

latest

The Idealistic Savant
    Spoiler:

latest

The Mr/Mrs. Techiepants
    Spoiler:

bcIlOwK.png

GONE NUTS
    Spoiler:

lGrb31z.png

Marisa Boy Icon by artistmeli
    The DoujinSoft (credit to Satoshi Ookami for the title. I mean, its his suggestion)
    Spoiler:

latest

The Jury Rigger
    Spoiler:

Om1QIDa.jpg

The Fall Guy/Gal
    Spoiler:

NEW ROLES!!!

tWYFTYO.png

Bloody Messiah:
    Spoiler:

IQDmqrZ.png

Gender Bender (WIP Description - I've just got home from an important event upon writing of this role)
    Spoiler:

COMING SOON ROLES: Details on these roles are coming soon!
    • Game Jurnalist aka Writer
    • Mr/Mrs Mathcraft aka The theorycrafter
    • The Metaslave aka "You'll know it when it happens"

**********************************************​

The list basically gives an overview and an idea on what your role is when it comes to games discussion. This role you have isn't just limited to this subforum hell no. But this is more likely what you are, and how your disposition is when you talk about video games with your friends, OR WITH ME C:< anyway Discuss. The list of what you may be WILL BE Updated with more detailed descriptions.

RULES OF NATURE:

1) DO NOT ever use this thread to talk down other individuals who do not share the same disposition as yours. This is for your smarks out there too.

2) For Veterans, Achievement Hunters, and even the Sneering Imperialists, please do not talk down on people who you see as "Scrubs". This is especially for you fellow Veterans. You break the Veteran code, I'll snap your neck in two.

3) THE LISTED ROLES above are not exactly the most solid representatives. You're free to make your own descriptions or whatnot but what I've written down provides an idea of what you are more likely to be when it comes to video game discussions.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Aug 4, 2017
    All of the above.

That's some quality spam. Gee you sure enjoy your mod powers though.

Anyway, talking about video games in general is a pretty wide spectrum but there does exist some archetypes that I do think people fall under.

Without shame, I consider myself to be part of the Sneering Imperialists mainly for the reasons that I simply get a little tired with people who complain about video games without actually trying to be half-decent. I can understand that even bad players should be able to enjoy what they pay or play for, but come on, you can't simply complain that its hard to have fun in a game if you lose more often than you win. If one is losing more often than they win, and not doing anything about it, its not the game's fault. I do my best to civilly point this out to people who struggle with winning or even having fun playing any game.

I often talk about this with my other friends but I guess I'll share a lil insight about it.

Also, where's my "Purist Punk" category at. You can't leave out the purists god damnit

Winter

[color=#bae5fc][font="Georgia"]KAMISATO ART: SOUME
    Years
  • I'm definitely a loregeek/hound whatever you call it.

JJ Styles

The Phenomenal Darling
    Years
  • All of the above - some of these seem a little biased towards what you like and don't like however Xin...at least they seem to read that way (Combat Veteran especially lmao)

In all srs bsns, I would say I am both The Achievement Hunter and The Combat Hardcore Veteran (these titles are brilliant by the way).

Those descriptions are fresh. I was already thinking the negative aspects of each role the more i thought hard about it ;) Also, please chat. take note, I do not make fun of smarks in anyway. Besides, I have a lot of good things to say about them but in a snarky way that suits the tone.

Anyway, will be updating.

A lil spammy right now but I obviously fall under "Combat Veteran" and an unlisted role which I'll be listing down in the original post - "Idealistic Idiot" or the guy/gal who loves making ideas.

Love the titles chat? Of course. Its me thinking of these titles.

Last edited:

Arsenic

[div=font-size: 18px; font-family: 'Kaushan script
    Years
  • I'm actually more interested in what other people see me as...

I am not sure on which to pick for myself as I've done multiple of these over the years... I'll put some thought into it while at work.

Melody

Banned
    Years
  • One part Honorary Orator, one part Achievement Hunter, one part Loregeek. Throw in a dash of Idealistic Savant and you have me. :3

Sneering Imperials and really cocky veterans are types I don't get along well with. Skill isn't important as playing the game the way you have the most fun playing it. Pwning n00bs, while sometimes fun is essentially pyrric. Better to win with grace and style than to be "that Imperial that even the vets think takes newb pwning way too seriously"

That said, I view completing a game's single player mode as achievement enough. Additional Achievements are just additional icing and trim on the cake, tasty but not always needed for a good cake. If you enjoyed the game enough to spend time in multiplayer and rack up some number of wins; that's an achievement. It's not a crime to lose. Particularly when the skill level of your opponent(s) and the outcomes of the game itself is often up to *luck*

For example; a bad run of luck can often ruin your elo score or that "amazing" k/d ratio you have. All it takes is for you to be unlucky enough to run into someone much more skilled than you are. But, that doesn't diminish the achievement you made. If it does, you're often looking at things too literally.

You can make luck less influential in your play style by leveling up your skill, but it won't ever go away. It's Your Choice. There Is No One True Way.

JJ Styles

The Phenomenal Darling
    Years
  • Do remember ladies and gentledudes that this topic is more on what you would actually talk about within the realm of video game discussions. And I specifically stated what you are more likely to be talking about with your friends or outside this forum ;) (Or if you ever talk 1 on 1 with me of course). What you talk about in this forum may be the same with what you talk about outside of this forum like with your IRL friends or other communities that you find yourself be involved in, or it may be reflective if your interests in the world of gaming talk : D

Also clarified something about Sneering Imperialists. I figured i get that out of the way

And I want to add a new one, weeb xDDDD

Already found the Vault Boy icon for that category. Will be adding that one shortly

Devil in the Mirror

We Stitch These Wounds
    Years
  • I tend to be mostly Lorehound with a bit of Achievement Hunter tossed in. I do my darnedest to get those achievements, but I'm here for the story, and after a point, I'll give up if it's hindering my progression too much. I mostly talk about the plot and story of games, of course it does vary based on the game—for example Dragon Ball games rarely have stories that differ from the anime, and therefore, from one another, so in those cases I care more about and consequently talk more about gameplay mechanics, the controls themselves, etc. As a general rule, though, definitely Lorehound.

Sir Codin

Probably the Sneering Imperialist, The Hardcore Combat Veteran, the Salesman, and the Lore Master, with a dash of Achievement Hunter and Idealistic Savant on top of it.

I'm also the Anti-Critic, as I love to tell people off and make them realize that "overrated" =/= terrible, and that your use of the word "overrated" is more outdated and cringey than any MLG meme from 2013.

Hands

I was saying Boo-urns
    Years
    • Age 33
    • Seen May 2, 2024
    Also, where's my "Purist Punk" category at. You can't leave out the purists god damnit

Salty Sailor sounds more apt given your first post in the thread :^)

I'm almost at Snarling Imperialist mixed with idealist Savant (though I'd of kept idiot savant as my title because most of my ideas are balls). I quite like doing well and without blowing my own horn i was high tier in MW2 and have maintained a fairly good performance in Battlfield games over the years.

JJ Styles

The Phenomenal Darling
    Years
  • I have added new roles, mainly since i thought to myself, why have i not added these roles in the first place when I know that there exist such people in video gaming discussions.

"Bloody Messiah"
    "Gender Bender"

Coming Soon role(s):
    "Meta Slave" -> "You'll know it when it happens"
    "ROW ROW FIGHT THE POWER!" -> "We create our own metas!"

Actually, future thread posters can make their own descriptions of "Meta Slave" and "Row Row FIGHT THE POWER!" and I'll gladly put them in the OP.

Anyway, time for more of my inputs:

I've cleanly fixed some of the issues that I initially had with this thread. I did notice after thorough reading that there was some bias towards certain roles regarding on the way i written them. Anyway, cleanly updates such and made some of their descriptions a little spicier.

Regarding on how i name the said roles, please do remember that its all in good fun. Some people have noted that some of the roles sounded rather dickish in my behalf, which was never the intention ;)

Having added the "Gender Bender" category, I shall discuss that as my 3rd role in video games discussion:

Gender Bender -> Me? Really? Well yes. I've always respected the great portrayal of both men and women in video games and when women are decently portrayed as such in certain video games, I feel a sense of happiness. Heck I'll be the first one to tell you all, I'm actually quite critical when it comes to how the ladies are portrayed in certain MMORPGs. Heck, just look at some of those F2P MMORPGs with their overly scantily clad women in their promotional material and I'll be the first to tell you that sex doesn't sell all the dang time. Or in that case, "Scantily clad women in bikini dress armor != Sell". But lovely ladies in nice shiny power armor do ;)

Reyzadren

Arid trainer
    Years
  • lol, I thought this thread is about your "role" in games such as being a damage-dealer, healer/supporter or stuff like that

If I had to pick one from the list, I guess I would be the Honorary Orator? But even that doesn't describe how I play online games accurately enough :P

Back