• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Fallout - Series Discussion

Arsenic

[div=font-size: 18px; font-family: 'Kaushan script
Years
  • Alright! I can see I will have to teach you how to be Couriers!

Right-o. Time to knock this list out. Double time.

Favorite game: Fallout New Vegas

New Vegas combines the best of Obsidian's vision of fallout (The original writing style, Combat knowledge (they improved NVs combat from 3 if unknown), vibrant alive world, juicy RPG feautures) with what worked from Bethesda's version (Bethesda RPG genre is pretty much it) to create something truly spectacular. The weapons are varied and there's one for everyone. Their is enough lore to drown in! Combat is good enough not to detract from the game. And there's almost always something to do (I still find stuff I never knew existed!). Even the DLC is fantastic, and expands the base game in meaningful, purposeful ways!

Favorite Class: Marksman

Whether with a Marksman's rifle, the CoS sniper, or a GRA Anti-material rifle, I enjoy watching people explode outside of their effective range. Recently I have started playing around with a more "Grunt" style setup with SMGs and ARs, and LMGs, that I find I really enjoy as well.

Favorite NPC: Boone /or/ Joshua Graham

I think it's a tie. They're both surprisingly deep characters once you start doing actions that influence them. This is moreso with Boone, since he is a companion and thus needs to be more reactive to your actions, but Graham is a bit more interesting to counter.

Game I don't Like: FO4

Not only is it insulting to my region capital and former home, its insulting to the Fallout name and it's RPG/choice based gameplay. There is about one choice you get to solve problems, and that is bullets. The dialog be stripped down to the same options every time ("Yes", "Sarcastic yes," "Yes if I can have more money", and "I'll say yes later". Just about everything in the fallout world has had it's design ruined (Don't get me started on the guns). And the story (as much as people told me my estimation would be wrong) was just Fallout 3's but the first half was reversed. And to top it off they made Boston incredibly tiny and very boring with no real memorable locations.

Favorite Enemy: Deathclaw

These enemies were are supposed to be a challenge for any low level enemy. Nothing else in the game matches their speed, prowess, and power. It's one of those enemies that you always wish you could have as a companion (Heck in the second game you can, Goris(Not so lucky if you stick to the 3d games though))

My favorite to kill is the Legion Losers. At first they started it, now I shoot first any time I see them.

Favorite Weapon: Anti-Material Rifle

I wouldn't say its the most revolutionary, or exciting weapon, but I certainly used it the most out of all the weapons in New Vegas. Like a lot of weapons in New Vegas, it's designed off of a real modern weapon (The Hecate II of the French Army). It can take down most enemies with one shot of Incendiary ammo, and the rest in only a few from a very safe distance. With the GRA expansion it is opened up to modification with thinks like silencers and weight reduction kits. It is easily the most deadly weapon in the game, and the perfect weapon to fight for the bear with!

Now let's flip this topic on it's head (at least for normal gamers, not so much those who play Fallout a lot) and ask my own question for people.

Mods.

You either love them or you love them. With some big ones due for release soon, such as the finished Project Brazil, and The Frontier coming out, are people excited? New Vegas outlives even Fallout 4 with modding with these giant total conversions (If out of the loop, think, free brand new game). Did I mention you can have freaking tank battles in The Frontier? No? Well you totally can!

More question parts, how do people feel about modding? Do you mod any of your current games? If you don't like mods, how come?

And as a bonus mod for anyone who still plays New Vegas, I very much recommend checking out Niner here. I don't adventure anywhere without him, ultimate bro companion who fits the lore to a T. Plus he's tactical enough to make me happy : )

Great thread Rabi ; )

Years
  • Favourite Game? Fallout 2. So much to do, so much to see. So many choices and weapons and people to smash. No essential characters and no 'quest items' that you can't dispose of.

Favourite Class?

Favourite NPC? Hm. I don't think I ever really had a favourite character in the series, but I did like President John Henry Eden. I was genuinely surprised that it was an AI and I thought they did a bang up job on his voice.

Are there any games you don't like? Why? Hm. I didn't dig Fallout 3 so much. What with all the crashes, lack of support on PC (Windows 7 and beyond) and overall design didn't resignate well with me. Obsidian did the platform justice by returning us to the West Coast (kind of) in New Vegas.

Favourite enemy? Super Mutants. Always a blast to fight them in all iterations of the games. I feel that Bethesda has actually done some good with the Super Mutants.

Favourite Weapon? Hm. The Gauss Rifle. I seem to go for that one more than others. A close second is the Laser Rifle and Plasma Rifles.

Hands

I was saying Boo-urns
    Years
    • Age 33
    • Seen May 2, 2024
    Game I don't Like: FO4

Not only is it insulting to my region capital and former home, its insulting to the Fallout name and it's RPG/choice based gameplay. There is about one choice you get to solve problems, and that is bullets. The dialog be stripped down to the same options every time ("Yes", "Sarcastic yes," "Yes if I can have more money", and "I'll say yes later". Just about everything in the fallout world has had it's design ruined (Don't get me started on the guns). And the story (as much as people told me my estimation would be wrong) was just Fallout 3's but the first half was reversed. And to top it off they made Boston incredibly tiny and very boring with no real memorable locations.

This post mostly sums up everything I feel about Failout 4.

Hands

I was saying Boo-urns
    Years
    • Age 33
    • Seen May 2, 2024
    Lovely to see the responses so far, top work! Now I want to see if anyone has played the older Fallout games; 1 and 2 specifically. I only ask because I actually prefer these over the newer games (most probably nostalgia being great as always) and I want someone to fanboy with!

I like the first two plenty, but NV holds top spot in my heart.

Years
  • Favorite Game? I like 1, 3, and New Vegas almost equally for different reasons, but New Vegas is the better game overall so I'll go with that.

Favorite Class? ...I had no idea Fallout had classes.

Favorite NPCs? Sergeant Dornan from Fallout 2 and The Preacher from Fallout 3 are always a good laugh.

Are there any games you don't like? Why?
    Fallout 4, for reasons already stated by others. I do try to go back and play it every now and then, but that usually doesn't last.

Favorite enemy? Cazadors. Those are always so very fun. Yes, fun. (No they aren't, I just out them because I don't really have a favorite)

Favorite Weapon? Gauss Rifle and That Gun.

I've played 1 and 2, but I've been trying to hold off until I beat 1 to really start on 2. My last attempt at 1 ended in me getting to the end but constantly dying and realizing that I needed to be putting points into Big Guns rather than everything else I'd been doing, so I'll be doing that on my next restart... not that I'll be happy about it, since as far as I know you don't actually get any decent Big Guns until end game anyway.

JJ Styles

The Phenomenal Darling
    Years
  • Just mememing here.

Also, several talks about a "New Vegas 2" are floating around sole survivors. Watchout for any of those clickbait articles. Though it may or may be confirmed that Obsidian is working with Bethesdo once again for a fallout game.

Fallout talk in 2017 LUL.
    ADC in 2017 LUL

Favorite games?
    Fallout 2 & New Vegas.

Favorite class? More like builds..
    In Fallout 2, I remember playing a melee character since it was so essential at the very start of the game. But from FO3 and onwards, aka the more shooty bang bang Fallout series, i went with a more guns oriented characters since small arms such as your typical ballistic weaponry were way to common and were a more comfortable playstyle from start to finish.

However, in New Vegas, my personal favorite character that I've done is my "Laser Duchess" character "Ayu". Basically a female courier character sporting an insane amount of Luck (Max 10 LUCK in the SPECIAL) along with pretty much every special perk that involves Energy Weaponry such as Laser Commander and Meltdown. Such a fun character to play as. Basically just a small showcase to myself on how devastating a spec on Energy Weapons could be. Critical Hits + Laser Weapons + chain reactions of explosions via energy based demises... <3

Least Favorite? I like all of them, save for Brotherhood of Steel. Now that was so bad that Bethesda decided that it wasn't canon. BOS also has the sin of actually trying to put the Vault Dweller from the original Fallout game as a fully voiced and fledged character in said game too.

Favorite Enemy? Yao Guai, Mirelurk Queen, Quarry Junction Deathclaws (Oh god why), Legionnary Assassins, Lobotomites, Legion Centurions, Legion Praetorians.

Favorite Weapon(s): Most of what I mention are based on The Gamebryo engine based games (Fallout 3 and New Vegas) but I also have a Fallout 4 weapon here too:

CZ57-Avenger -, the main weapon of my first character in New Vegas. Even though it only has half the clip of a normal Minigun (120 vs 200), the much improved accuracy and spread helps solve the problems with using Miniguns

Spritel Wood (unique Gatling Laser variant) - Oh boy, this beast is insane especially with any character spec'd well with Energy Weapons + Luck.

Ballistic Fist - For an Unarmed Weapon, this thing sports so much base damage that its a great backup weapon for almost any character even with a low amount of Unarmed skill.

YCS-186 - Basically one of the best "Sniper" weapons in New Vegas. Its so good that even my first character, a guns based one, eventually i pumped a good amount into Energy Weapons so that he could use this as his personal sniper rifle instead of an AMR.

Explosive Minigun (Goodluck finding one) - Basically one of the best end-game choices for any Heavy Weapons with Demolitions perks dude out there for several reasons. Basically, the explosive legendary property makes the rather average minigun deal even more damage. With the investments to Heavy Weapons and Demolitions perks, 5/5 and 4/4 respectively, the Explosive Minigun eventually becomes hilariously OP, almost at the same level of OP Hilarity as those end-game "Blitz+NinjaLUL" builds, with less brains/skill required. Also, the reason why the EXP Minigun can deal that much damage? As i mentioned before, you need BOTH investments into Heavy Weapons and Demolition Expert in order to achieve such. Demolition Expert perks actually increase the explosive damage of the Explosive legendary prefix/property in weapons. The only thing bad about really is FINDING ONE.

Spray and Pray - A poor man's Explosive Minigun, but investments in Commando (automatic weapons) and Demolitions Expert (to make the explosive prefix deal more damage, as I stated earlier) are needed to fully max out this SMG's potential. Also, its a tommy gun. I like Tommy Guns.

Back