• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Article: Nintendo Switch Discussion [OUT NOW!]

Years
  • A fairly boring article I read indicates that TPC would have to change their approach to Pokemon games if they're ever going to make them on the Switch.

Of course, what this means is currently unknown.
    Probably learning more about working with HD assets and how to deal with paid online.

Hmm, if a main series game came out on Switch it would be the first one to have multiple saves due to how user accounts work on the system.

Is anyone taking that Zelda challenge? I think it was Aonuma who said it was impossible to 100% BotW in one week. I know some people are gonna try and prove him wrong. I was gonna try it on launch week but my job screwed me over on my paid time off so I won't have nearly enough time to do it.

Years
  • It likely means TV play would be disabled. There's already one game out there that is "mobile mode" only.
    While that is possible that they could just make it handheld only I wouldn't think GF would do so. They are usually pretty good about using features of Nintendo hardware. That one handheld only game so far is just a rhythm game that only uses touch inputs. I could believe Pokemon would be handheld only if it was an all touch screen game.

Years
    • Age 33
    • Seen Aug 21, 2021
    This is kinda off-topic so I'll put it in spoilers....

Spoiler:

Anyway I was wondering what other indie games people would like to see coming to the Switch? I'll put my own hopes in spoilers to keep things tidy.

Spoiler:

Years
  • Tomorrow is the day guys! Can't wait to get off work today. Heading straight to Target at 830 to wait in line until morning. It is gonna be pretty cold tonight but I bundled up and brought a bunch of extra clothes to keep warm. Also charged both my DSs so I won't be bored overnight.

What are you guys' plans for waiting?

MandL27

Proud Procrastinator
    Years
    • Seen Feb 24, 2021
    Waiting to be able to buy one, since I can't right now. Earliest I'd be looking at is October unless I can get into work-study at college this fall.

Years
  • Still not sure if I am going to buy one.

I think it is a really cool console, but there really are no games that catch my attention. I can buy Breath of the Wild on my WiiU if I want.

Years
  • Currently waiting on the Switch now. 9 more hours! It is 24 degrees outside and now sitting in Steak and Shake across the street from Target to warm up a bit. Reminds me of my Wii U days. That was 7 days of hell waiting for that launch in NY.

El Héroe Oscuro

IG: elheroeoscuro
    Years
  • Gonna go and get my preorder in the morning, I cannot wait. I was sold as of the presentation in January.

When you do get it, let me know what the actual controller feels like when you switch over from the TV to the tablet. I'm really curious as to how comfortable it is holding it/what the battery life is like once you go mobile.

EC

Years
    • he/him
    • Seen Jul 1, 2022
    Charging mine to full capacity before I do anything with it. So beautiful. Nice weight to all the components as well.

Years
  • So after hours of Zelda with the Switch here are my thoughts.

Controller in the grip is just right for me and my medium sized hands. It reminds me of a junior version of the Gamecube controller and that is pretty awesome. The analog sticks are like a middle ground between Vita and standard controller sticks, very nice and responsive. I also played a huge chunk with just each Joycon in one hand and I have to say it is really comfortable and one of my favorite ways to play so far. On the console itself when attached to the screen itself it feels wonderful. It is not heavy at all and has a very even weight distribution.

Switching between TV Mode and Handheld Mode is super simple and fluid. I really tested it out as a portable earlier when my friend took me to get something to eat and the experience of being able to play this full open world console game on the go and seamlessly picking up where I left off is really something that doesn't hit home until you actually do it yourself.

Cannot say much for battery life because I have played mostly on the tv but I can update more on that later. The game runs great and as mentioned by a few sites so far it seems that it runs a bit better in handheld mode due to less resolution.

What I don't like is that headphone volume is still not that loud, similar to the 3DS. With so much focus on parental controls I feel they should have allowed it to be loud as heck but have the ability to cap it for younger players.

To me this seems to be such a personal system. Switching Joycons on and off, playing on the tv then on the screen, using different styles of input methods for controllers all lead to a strangely new connection between the console and player, at least to me. It just makes you feel really personal with it like a person may feel with their cell phone.

Overall I am in love with it. I feel like design wise this was a very well thought out system with many different ways to play that are all comfortable.

Years
  • I haven't had a chance to actually play anything on mine yet (most I've done is hold it for a short bit while setting up the system, then I handed it over because someone else was already waiting to try out Zelda), but even the few moments I had the joy-cons in my hands, I was surprised at how good they felt. Everything feels good about it, really. Can't wait until I have the chance to play it for myself.

Years
  • So during the first day with the Switch at night I did experience the left joycon signal interruption. Every person this has happened to states that link will walk in a direction for like a second or two even if you let go of the analog, but that it only happens when joycons are detached. This actually happened to me with the joycons attached to the console's sides. It was for a second and wasn't a big deal. It only happened when I was sitting in my friend's room playIng. I'm thinking it could be a signal interference issue since there was a lot going on. There were cell phones, game controllers from PS4 and all that going on in the room. But it happened once and I was in there for maybe 5 hours.

Wanted to point that out, wouldn't be fair to talk only about good parts especially since many of you are prospective buyers. Feel free to ask any questions if you want to know something specific.

Frozocrone

Fighting a bigger fight
    Years
  • Man I totally forgot this was out today.

I was thinking of purchasing it but apparently there are a couple of note worthy flaws. But then Zelda sounds so good (have never played any Zelda game). Might hold on until some more games are released (Mario Kart, Smash, rumoured Pokemon).

I think I might get the additional controller too.

As for everyone else (feel free to wait until you've played for a while):

1) Do you prefer the additional controller, Joy-Con mode or "tablet mode"?
    2) What's your favourite thing about it?
    3) What's your biggest gripe about it?
    4) What's your hand size? (this kinda goes hand in hand - no pun intended- with Q1).

Years
  • Man I totally forgot this was out today.

I was thinking of purchasing it but apparently there are a couple of note worthy flaws. But then Zelda sounds so good (have never played any Zelda game). Might hold on until some more games are released (Mario Kart, Smash, rumoured Pokemon).

I think I might get the additional controller too.

As for everyone else (feel free to wait until you've played for a while):

4) What's your hand size? (this kinda goes hand in hand - no pun intended- with Q1).
    - My favorite is way to play is with one Joy Con in each hand. It's by far the most comfortable way to play and just plain is cool too. I am actually playing like this now at work while taking calls.

-My favorite thing would have to be the freedom. Last night me and my friends hung out for a bit and I grabbed my Switch and kept playing Zelda in the room while they played their games, then when I left I just went into my room and pulled out the kickstand and started playing while laying down before bed.

Today I woke up, played some Zelda on my tv. Had to start getting read and did. Came back to the game then had to get going, grabbed the system, put it in my case and now I'm playing the same tasks before at home except now finishing them at work. It's really nice to be able to continue no matter what and with such comfortable controls no matter which way you decide to do it.

-Biggest gripe is that charger is on the bottom, charger that comes with the system is very short. I hate how hard it is to take off the Joy-Con straps. I'm never gonna use them because it is way too hard to slide them off even when they match what side it's supposed to be on.

-My hand size would be a medium. The controls are perfect for me and I have no problems with spacing of buttons. I will say though that I wish the right analog was on top.

Last edited:

EC

Years
    • he/him
    • Seen Jul 1, 2022

1.) All options are fantastic. If I had to pick one though, it would be the controller mode.

2.) It's a new Nintendo console, man.

3.) I honestly can't think of anything right now. Truly.

4.) What is this, the NFL Combine?

Frozocrone

Fighting a bigger fight
    Years
  • 4.) What is this, the NFL Combine?

Sussed out :P

It's more me trying to get a 'large enough' sample size to correlate results from whether they prefer the additional controller and their hand size (I've got fairly big hands, so I'm observing whether or not buying that controller for comfort would be ideal for me).

Years
  • Sussed out :P

It's more me trying to get a 'large enough' sample size to correlate results from whether they prefer the additional controller and their hand size (I've got fairly big hands, so I'm observing whether or not buying that controller for comfort would be ideal for me).
    I say if you've got big hands you may want to get a Pro Controller. With my medium hands they are good bur I know if they were just a little bigger they would be more comfortable so I can imagine that a big handed person would need something larger, at least for extended play sessions. When attached to the console itself the Joy-Cons probably feel better since you have more of the system to grip, same for the grip itself. I hear Targets may start putting demo units in the stores close to the end of the month so I say try and hit one up if you're concerned about the Joy-Cons. I'll probably buy a Pro Controller today actually. I'm really interested to see how it feels.

Back