• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[News] SNES Mini In Production?

EC

Years
    • he/him
    • Seen Jul 1, 2022
    http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2017-04-19-sources-nintendo-to-launch-snes-mini-this-year

Nintendo will follow up its smash hit NES microconsole with a mini version of the SNES, sources close to the company have confirmed to Eurogamer.

The SNES mini (or, to continue Nintendo's official branding, likely the Nintendo Classic Mini: Super Nintendo Entertainment System) is currently scheduled to launch in time for Christmas this year. Development of the device is already under way, our sources have indicated.

Thoughts? Anyone not able to get an NES Mini and want this? Other way around? Neither? Both?

El Héroe Oscuro

IG: elheroeoscuro
    Years
  • So reason why I'm happy yet pissed about this is because I really hope Nintendo isn't going to pull a NES Mini with this one. What I mean by that is Nintendo just announced recently that they aren't making anymore NES Minis anymore, which is just absolutely stupid. So if you truly, truly want the SNES Mini like I do, then you need to buy it Day 1 cause once it's sold out...you most likely won't get a second shot at it without having to pay out the nose for it.

EC

Years
    • he/him
    • Seen Jul 1, 2022
    Oh, there's no doubt in my mind that they're going to do exactly that with this. Not the main console, so they're out to get a cool million or so, then move on to the N64 Mini.

Now that's something I'd wait in line for.

Yukari

I'm honestly starting to lose some faith in Nintendo. :/

Yukari

Well, a lot of things, but specifically here they keep limiting the supply of their products to a ridiculous degree. It happened with the NES Mini, then the Switch, and even with Amiibos. Then they discontinue the NES Mini and actually announce it before the final ones shipped which is an incredibly bad move for consumers considering that now scalpers can buy it in spades. And then they announce the SNES Mini.

I really can't wrap my head around this. I honestly wonder if they aren't doing it intentionally sometimes.

Years
  • I was very annoyed that I missed the NES Mini and very angry that they aren't making anymore when they're in such high demand.

If possible I'll pre-order the SNES, if not... can't wait to wait up until midnight to buy it as soon as possible (time to save up months in advance!).

I am rather annoyed in general with Nintendo's poor stocks, I've been trying to get the Zelda 30th and BotW amiibos since they were released but they all sold out instantly and haven't come back into stock!

Mawa

The typo Queen
    Years
  • As someone who never owned a SNES, it is the console missing in my Nintendo heart. I really wish I'll get it <3

Keiran

[b]Rock Solid[/b]
    Years
  • I feel like it would be better to tie this in with the Switch somehow. Like some huge SNES VC package. They should be driving Switch sales. Not these stupid mini consoles that they don't produce enough of and then cancel after a few months.

mew_nani

Pokécommunity's Licensed Tree Exorcist
    Years
  • I don't really have any interest towards either the NES or SNES mini partially because I have a genuine SNES and partially because my Raspberry Pi fulfils all my retro gaming needs, but I feel terrible for the people who do. If you want an NES mini they're next to impossible to get now and were almost as impossible to get while they were still being made, and I'm willing to bet money the SNES mini will be just as hard if not harder to get. I can't imagine either are that hard to make seeing as how they're just plastic shells with controllers equipped with a micro computer much like a Raspberry Pi or CHIP, so why short stock it and then cancel it when so many people still want one? Imagine if they did the Switch like that; just make a few and say "oh welp we're not making those anymore, have fun guys." There'd be internet riots all over.

If you think about it this makes the VC on the Switch even more odd; somehow Nintendo can emulate all these games on these little tiny switchboards, yet they can't just port most of them to the Switch lickety split? I get compatibility issues and emulation refining, but even emulators in their barest state can handle more than just a few games out there, and these are fan-made.

Mr. X

It's... kinda effective?
    Years
  • Well, I'm going to preorder a few for resale. Hopefully I'll make enough off of them to afford the NES Classic.

Back