• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Chit-Chat: daily vidya chat

Arsenic

[div=font-size: 18px; font-family: 'Kaushan script
Years
  • Today is a sad day for western game devs...

Squenix has dropped IO Interactive (I think they don't like any non-western studios tbh, as they said the Tomb Raider reboot did terrible as well)

EA has scaled down Bioware Montreal into a support studio and sent the now excess workers to other studios. (No doubt due to the reception of the new Mass Effect.) They've also put the Mass Effect series on ice for a while. Guess I'll have to wait a decade to see where my freaky alien romance goes : ( Though I have no clue if that means just new games or if DLC content will still release.

EC

Years
    • he/him
    • Seen Jul 1, 2022
    Shame. That new Hitman game was actually really fun. Even won Game Of The Year on Giant Bomb over Doom.

JJ Styles

The Phenomenal Darling
    Years
  • Dynasty Warriors 9... I'm a little hesitant to actually look forward for this game considering that DW8 should have been the last and glorious hurrah to the series but I guess Koei-Tecmo's most beloved franchise deserves to go back to the field once again.

Info that I've read on DW9
    - Open World = OMERGERD. #TREEGERERED
    - Story:
    The game will seemingly abandon the series' "hypothetical missions", meaning only the actual events recorded in the Romance of the Three Kingdoms novels will take place in the game's story

That's what I've read so far. Oh there's going to be grappling hooks, bows and arrows, and 83 characters.

Also, finally after a couple of months waiting for an opportunity, I finally have the unholy grail of gaming
    WIuOFHZ.jpg

Clue: Below Fallout New Vegas.

Also, me still not having Bulletstorm? Because priorities... also, I've been playing too much Spec Ops: The Line and i'm fortunate enough to still be a.. according to "Yukari" a murderous psychopath because not even a well written anti-war military shootin game isn't going to stahp me from ripping and tearing people ;)

EC

Years
    • he/him
    • Seen Jul 1, 2022
    There's a new clicker game called SPACEPLAN out there and it has taken up all of my time today.

JJ Styles

The Phenomenal Darling
    Years
  • kpVup8J.jpg

When i play like a complete Ape but still out-DPS (highest damage dealt against enemy champions) pretty much everyone on my team, i still feel kinda funny.
    (Trinty Force, Blade of the Ruined King, Sterak's Cage, and of course Bloodrazor jungle item on Xin Zhao.. yep, I'll definitely deal a lot of dat damage)

Also, playing 2 certain games at the moment mainly for a game review that I'll be posting in a thread.

Leviathan

[span="font-family:ubuntu; color: whitesmoke; padd
    Years
  • Stuck in farming hell atm, in Digimon World: Next Order.

Also stuck on that first S-Rank 'rookies only' collosseum fight. Gonna max out my two partners and then try and reincarnate them into Lucemon before going near that challenge again, ugh.

But hey, I got Imperialdramon Fighter Mode and Imperialdramon Paladin Mode as partners last night, so that's pretty damn cool if I do say so. :D

JJ Styles

The Phenomenal Darling
    Years
  • Now I got my Quake Champions closed beta key, i can now have a bit of fun playing something really manly.

Arsenic

Years
  • I guess Microsoft just confirmed no H3 Anni. This breaks my heart. 343 also got a new studio head, the guy who lead Halo 4 and 5. So I guess 343 is headed down a one way street of abandoning all us original fans to double down on that esports nonsense.

Well at least I still have my copies of the good Halo games!

Arsenic

Years
  • To be honest, it felt like that since the moment they threw out the original composer.

Marty went with Bungie because they all wanted to make something different. He was thrown out by Bungie while making Destiny but hasnt had anything to do with Halo since Reach.

Anywho, I was having hope that things were getting better, what with Halo Wars 2 fixing so many of 343s stupid design choices (Let's change everything iconic to the series to bad looking things because we can!) and story (mostly) and general feel of the series in general. This new director is making me very worried for the future of the series : (

I just want Halo back not Call of Titanfall that plays at 10 billion miles per hour. And certainly none of this eSpurtz pandering and Microtransactions get that shit out of here! I'd rather buy a map pack!

machomuu

Stuck in Hot Girl Summer
    Years
  • I think we're more likely to see a spiritual successor to Halo than we are to see the series actually return to what made it, well, Halo to begin with.

Honestly years ago I never thought there'd be a Halo title I just didn't want to touch, but nothing about Halo 5 seems appealing to me. There are ideas here and there but I can't help but agree that the game's not really looking to its fans when it's thinking of where to go next.

The market as a whole, possibly, but it feels as if this is just another case where the company sees its "fans" as guaranteed dollars in their pockets that will go along with whatever plans they have to expand the franchise regardless of how harebrained it is.

Which sounds cynical, but...well, I suppose I just hope I'm wrong. So far there hasn't really been much to suggest otherwise.

JJ Styles

The Phenomenal Darling
    Years
  • Here's how to give halo a new facelift.

- Release the source code of the original game
    - Modding community goes nuts on Halo PC even further
    - Someone makes a mod called "BRUTAL" Halo where its Halo but its more graphically intense, and Master Chief now can wield several weapons at once, oh and add in Finishing moves as well like Master Chief neckstomping on an Elite or doing a back breaker on a Hunter, and some really punchy and squishy sounds to boot..

Oh wait, Microsoft doesn't like Mod support.

Also, while there are Halo Comics, there's no reliable source material to make a Brutal Halo mod... after all, Brutal Doom was heavily inspired by the infamous Doom comic. Unless someone makes a fan made comic where Master Chief goes apes**t and just start doing some backbreakers and necksnaps against some random Covenant and Flood mobs.

Rip and Tear. Rip and Tear those floods.

Years
  • Is every game after Reach that bad? Or just different from the actual Halo formula? I've not played anything post Reach in the series.

Also, guys, I redeemed my rewards points at GameStop for a $50 off one item voucher. I've got a month left to use it or I lose it. What should I use the voucher to get? As far as consoles go, I have a PS2, a PS3, a PS Vita, a Wii, a 2DS, an Xbox 360, and an Xbox One. I'm thinking about maybe using it to pick up one of the consoles I don't have, but I'm not 100% sold on that idea.

EC

Years
    • he/him
    • Seen Jul 1, 2022
    Is every game after Reach that bad? Or just different from the actual Halo formula? I've not played anything post Reach in the series.

Halo 4 was... boring and too much like Call Of Duty. Halo 5, however, today, is an incredibly good game. I trust they have learned their lessons and will make Halo 6 even better.

You know, such as including Big Team Battle at launch and not having the community make the maps. Make your own damn maps, 343!!

Arsenic

Years
  • I think we're more likely to see a spiritual successor to Halo than we are to see the series actually return to what made it, well, Halo to begin with.

Honestly years ago I never thought there'd be a Halo title I just didn't want to touch, but nothing about Halo 5 seems appealing to me. There are ideas here and there but I can't help but agree that the game's not really looking to its fans when it's thinking of where to go next.

The market as a whole, possibly, but it feels as if this is just another case where the company sees its "fans" as guaranteed dollars in their pockets that will go along with whatever plans they have to expand the franchise regardless of how harebrained it is.

Which sounds cynical, but...well, I suppose I just hope I'm wrong. So far there hasn't really been much to suggest otherwise.

Sadly that can be said about far too many games rn : ( Modern dev's seem to love to follow dollar signs with their sequels instead of their original fans, case and point with all shooters borrowing heavily from CoD's gameplay pace, but with the flavor of their IP on top. I mean the market has always been like this, but I feel now it is to the extent that developers creativity is heavily stumped and less and less original concepts are coming out.

Seems the current "Murder any and all identity our game had" craze is eSports. Streamlined boring "Laned" maps that end up all looking the same. Simplification of design with equipment. All these ridiculous call outs your character does. Painful over-encouragement towards "tacticool teamplay" yet they want their games' pacing to be practically lightspeed. I could go on forever...

This is why I just wanted Halo 3 Anni, it is a fantastic halo game and it would be great to see it get a facelift(Not that it looks bad now) ...

Here's how to give halo a new facelift.

- Release the source code of the original game
    - Modding community goes nuts on Halo PC even further
    - Someone makes a mod called "BRUTAL" Halo where its Halo but its more graphically intense, and Master Chief now can wield several weapons at once, oh and add in Finishing moves as well like Master Chief neckstomping on an Elite or doing a back breaker on a Hunter, and some really punchy and squishy sounds to boot..

Oh wait, Microsoft doesn't like Mod support.

Also, while there are Halo Comics, there's no reliable source material to make a Brutal Halo mod... after all, Brutal Doom was heavily inspired by the infamous Doom comic. Unless someone makes a fan made comic where Master Chief goes apes**t and just start doing some backbreakers and necksnaps against some random Covenant and Flood mobs.

Rip and Tear. Rip and Tear those floods.

But that's never been what has been. That kinda stuff fits with Doom which was already all over-the-top gore ( I mean people litterally explode when you shoot them in the original) but that kinda thing doesnt fit with Halo's themes. Sure MC was a badass in the games but he's kinda been a cog in the machine of the UNSC. A fuckin' huge one, but still not the whole battle. Conversly in doom you are kinda the one man death machine, so beating someone to death with their own arm is paced better than doing so in the middle of a two sided fight.

Years
  • Yes. Every game after Halo 2 is abysmal. Also no idea about voucher, although the console idea sounds good.

whoa whoa whoa hey, I had many good hours into Halo 3's local multiplayer. Also same with Reach.

I'm probably going to choose between the PS4 and the Wii U as far as consoles go. They probably won't have any Switches in stock, and my 2DS is perfectly adequate for any 3DS games I play, since I don't think there was actually any New3DS games I was interested in.

Arsenic

Years
  • Ok I'll give you that, local MP is fine.

Get a PS4, to be honest and get on the Souls series hype train.

And the Campaign, Firefight, Matchmaking, and Forge modes! Even Theater mode is great!

Even the music is tied for 1st place for best OST.

But it's OK, we can fix you Rabi : ]

JJ Styles

The Phenomenal Darling
    Years
  • is Imgur down for some people? I had to rehost the images in my Video games collab signature for some reason but maybe its just connection issues on my part.

This is probably the ONLY and closest representative vision of what a "BRUT@L" Halo would be like:

Project MSX - a Halo Inspired Doom mod (except that you can actually equip several weapons at once so get that silly 2 Weapon limit NONSENSE out of there) + Brutal Doom Monsters (monster mod that replaces monsters with their Brutal Doom versions so there's the dismemberment and other juicy stuff). I had to rush that screenshot that I have since i couldn't find a map pack for me to play on so Map of Chaos MAP01 was my testbed.

Hell, 343 could get the guy who made Project MSX and have him work on "Halo 6" but then again, reading on what happened, Halo 6 might just play like Call of Titanfield: Modern Warfighter WW2 EX Plus @lpha if they have to stick with Halo 5's gameplay design. **shivers in a corner**

Also, PS4 especiially if one is interested in getting earlier access to private exclusive betas. I'm looking at you Call of Dooty WW2

Years
  • Ok I'll give you that, local MP is fine.

Get a PS4, to be honest and get on the Souls series hype train.

Forge mode m8. Plenty of fun to be had messing around in there.

Also Zero-G Griffball on local multiplayer.

Also pass on the Souls abuse. I'm not a masochist when is comes to games, and I know when a game is well beyond my abilities (such as the Souls series). I'd probably go the weeb game route on PS4.

machomuu

Stuck in Hot Girl Summer
    Years
  • Also pass on the Souls abuse. I'm not a masochist when is comes to games, and I know when a game is well beyond my abilities (such as the Souls series). I'd probably go the weeb game route on PS4.
    but souls is a weeb game

Nah, Don, you'd be fine. Half the allure of the series' design is that there really isn't much of a barrier for entry. More often than not, the only people who naturally do better at Souls games than anyone else are the people who are already Souls fans, but up to that point it's just a game of adaptation.

'Cause I know the idea's been driven into the ground, but despite the slightly toxic nature of the "git gud" crowd, Souls is a series that's meant to be less about being difficult and more about being careful and adapting to your enemies, environments, so on and so forth. I'm not trying to teach a lesson on Souls game design here, again, it's been driven into the ground, but I couldn't well and good feel right letting you off with this idea that it's too difficult for you to get into. If you can hold and use a controller then you're about as equipped, both in skill and in fact, to play and beat the games as anyone else.

Back