• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Chit-Chat: daily vidya chat

pkmin3033

Disgaea will always be the undisputed Overlord of SRPGs to me. I've enjoyed other games in the genre, but none come even slightly close to matching Disgaea's complexity and depth...or its humour.

On an unrelated note...I finished Witcher 3! Now I have the entire afternoon and evening stretching out before me. There's not much point starting a new game because I'm getting new games tomorrow. I do this every year gdi

Years
idk how many of you have heard about Ys VIII or played it, but after owning it for months upon months and not touching it (bc i've been busy with other stuff/playing other games), i've finally gotten started on it! kinda kicking myself for not starting on it earlier because i really love the combat. i think if anyone's looking for a solid RPG you can't go wrong with Ys VIII so far. the individual characters seem pretty likeable too since they're all working towards a common goal.

all in all, the game is really interesting! it's also appropriately challenging (at least, hard mode and up), which is what i appreciate the most, even if it does lead to some... frustrations with certain bosses. @_@ overall though, i'm having a lot more fun than i thought i would!

pkmin3033

I am long overdue a replay of Ys VIII tbh...I played it in summer of 2018 and it turned out to be one of the better games I'd played that year. I've always enjoyed the Ys series - which, like Star Ocean, seems to be very far ahead of many other more celebrated series and yet gets very little attention outside of Japan for it - and VIII was fantastic. Plus I really love the main theme.

Now, the only question is when Monstrum Nox will be coming to Switch...I'd prefer not to buy it on PS4 if I can help it.

Pyrax

Midnight Guest
Years
  • Age 28
  • UK
  • Seen today
Just realised Xenoblade Chronicles Definitive is coming out in 2020. I was waiting until SMT V to buy a Switch, but Xenoblade's hella tempting.

idk how many of you have heard about Ys VIII or played it, but after owning it for months upon months and not touching it (bc i've been busy with other stuff/playing other games), i've finally gotten started on it! kinda kicking myself for not starting on it earlier because i really love the combat. i think if anyone's looking for a solid RPG you can't go wrong with Ys VIII so far. the individual characters seem pretty likeable too since they're all working towards a common goal.

all in all, the game is really interesting! it's also appropriately challenging (at least, hard mode and up), which is what i appreciate the most, even if it does lead to some... frustrations with certain bosses. @_@ overall though, i'm having a lot more fun than i thought i would!
I played it on the Vita shortly before selling the system, and not gonna lie it eclipsed P4G as my favourite game on it. Definitely gonna buy either the Switch or PS4 version later. How are you liking the OST btw? Imo Ys VIII is very strong in that department. The high energy battle themes make the fast-paced battles even more enjoyable. The exploration was fantastic too - there was always something to explore. Not once did the progression ever feel linear.

Years
Spoiler:

Last edited by a moderator:

pkmin3033

Spoiler:

pkmin3033

The "Switch Pro" rumour has been circulating for a while now, and I don't think it any more likely or unlikely as the last time it was in the spotlight. Anyone can be a video game analyst and make predictions.

Making some predictions of my own - at the risk of this post aging VERY badly, at which point we can all laugh at me as I hide my face in shame - I don't think a Switch Pro is very likely this year. I mean...

1. Releasing a Switch Pro to "compete" with the PS5/XBX is a silly idea, because a Switch Pro, at the absolute best, might have the processing power of a standard model PS4. Nintendo don't compete using hardware; they compete with their library of strong IPs. They have ALWAYS been a generation behind hardware-wise when compared to their competitors, and a Switch Pro wouldn't change that. They don't NEED to compete in this fashion anyway, because the Switch's market share is only just behind the Xbox One, and it's been out for far less time.

2. The Switch Lite was released last year, and the original model was also upgraded last year. A Switch Pro coming out THIS year seems counter-productive - it seems more likely to me that Nintendo would want to boost sales of their existing units before flooding the market with a more powerful one. Whilst the Lite didn't detract from sales of the original Switch (I know I've read this somewhere but the source eludes me; I'll hunt for it if anyone is REALLY that interested but otherwise eh just let me finish my thought) having three models out and released in such a short window doesn't seem too likely.

tbh I would say, at best, we'll see a Switch Pro announcement this year, with a 2021 release window. If we get that much I'll be somewhat surprised. If we actually get it this year to tie in with the PS5/XBX release window I'll be appalled, because that's such an anti-Nintendo thing to do. The timing and obvious reasoning for it I mean, not the release of a Pro model itself, which would be VERY Nintendo.

I suppose time will tell, but...yeah, take analyst predictions with a grain of salt tbh. People will keep saying these things over and over until they're right and then they'll act as though they correctly predicted the timing, when in reality it's common sense that it'll come eventually. We've had analysts saying that a Switch Lite and Pro will come within the next few months since the OG Switch model launched, and all they've got to go on is that the Nintendo DS and 3DS had multiple models over the course of its life, and that "mid-gen upgrades" to current consoles have become an expected and acceptable thing.

Years
Hey vidya game chat. I have a question. I figured this would be the best place to post it here than make an individual thread about it. If I put a Visa/TD gift card on my Nintendo Switch eshop account, is there a way I can print out a physical receipt of that specific transaction? The print out could be from anywhere. Online from a printer would be ideal. Don't ask, but I need to know so I can save $10 on the new Pokemon expansion pack, and i'm being forced to get a physical receipt about the gift card cause don't ask why. Thanks in advance.

pkmin3033

Hey vidya game chat. I have a question. I figured this would be the best place to post it here than make an individual thread about it. If I put a Visa/TD gift card on my Nintendo Switch eshop account, is there a way I can print out a physical receipt of that specific transaction? The print out could be from anywhere. Online from a printer would be ideal. Don't ask, but I need to know so I can save $10 on the new Pokemon expansion pack, and i'm being forced to get a physical receipt about the gift card cause don't ask why. Thanks in advance.
If you buy something off the eShop then Nintendo will send an e-mail receipt to the e-mail account you used to create your Nintendo account, you can print that off if you've got access to a printer.

Cid

Years
Ah, I have to admit I don't know what Stellaris is, so I had to Google it. The screenshots look nice, though.

There's around 24 hours left until the final DLC fighter for the Smash Ultimate Fighters Pass gets revealed. I wonder if all the Dante rumors are real.

EDIT: Byleth for Smash, eh? I liked the reveal. Waiting for the additional 6 new fighters is going to be long, but it gives hope for a few more surprise favorites.

Last edited:

pkmin3033

Pretty uninspired choice, I think. I am glad that Byleth is more like Link (in terms of having multiple weapons for greater variety in playstyle) rather than every other Fire Emblem sword user, but...well, another Fire Emblem sword user? Sheesh. Better than another moveset clone -- oh, I'm sorry, I mean "Echo Fighter" -- I suppose, but still...eh. Also better than Terry - what a waste of a slot that was! - but nothing to really be excited about, at least to me. I applaud the smart move, though - 3 Houses is popular, and having it be Byleth means that every Fire Emblem fan is disappointed that their favourite 3H Lord didn't make it in. Thus is balance kept. I'm just bitter the best Lords - Eirika and Ephraim - aren't in the game

I sold Smash Ultimate as soon as I cleared World of Light and got every Spirit; they hadn't even released Joker at that point. So I guess my lack of interest (outside of the general fury it's caused in parts of the extremely volatile FE fandom) is to be expected. xD

Back