• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

"Original" vs "updated" Pokemon cries

HeroLinik

To this day, he still can't beat Air Man...
Years
  • Spoiler:

Come the generation shift from 5 to 6, a lot of, or if not all, of the Pokemon cries from the first five generations have been updated. Pikachu seems to be the most notable, with it getting voice acting and all that, while plenty of others have received minor updates in accordance with the 3DS specs. Even a few have been completely changed, such as Druddigon and Raichu, barely resembling their original cry. The update also helped remove a lot of cries from very early generations that sounded almost exactly the same, such as Charizard and Rhyhorn.

What do you guys think about the updated cries? Which ones do you think have been butchered the most and which ones do you think sound better?

Years
    • Online now
    I like the original cries much more. Most of the "updated" cries have been utterly butchered. I also don't like how Pikacu is the only one with an anime cry, especially since Raichu is stuck with a butchered cry (which admittedly does fit with Alolan Raichu).

LegendChu

❤ CAREFREE, BUT CARING ❤
    Years
  • Tbqh, I prefer the original cries to most of the new ones. Some of them are barely resemble their original ones now & sound harsher to the ears. On the plus side though, similar sounding cries seem to have been taken care of, but the originals were still better.

Pika Pika :chu:

Spyro

[title=Free 6iv Dittos!][url=https://www.reddit.co
    Years
    • Seen Oct 5, 2018
    I prefer the updated ones, but I'd rather have every cry voice acted, too. It's a lot of voice acting, but it's been done in the anime already. I don't think voice acted cries would take more space than those awful sounds, so I don't really get why we only have Pikachu.

BlazingCobaltX

big mood. bye
    Years
    • Age 26
    • Seen Jun 19, 2019
    I hate them. I deeply resent what they did to these cries: it's like they put some filter on them and now they all sound similar. Not to mention extremely harsh to the ears sometimes. It definitely took away the 'character' of the Pokémon, because some of these cries are indistinguishable and just plain ugly. The cries of the Gen VI/VII Pokémon sound good, very good, but they didn't have to do the older Pokémon like this.

While on that, can I have a moment of silence for Reshiram's updated cry?

Years
  • I mostly like the original pre-3DS era cries since I know how bad a lot of the 3DS cries for older Pokemon sound. The worst ones include Kyogre and Dugtrio, the latter sounds like a real departure from its original cry.

I don't have anything against Pikachu's anime voice being used as its cry though.

Absolitetion

Deemed to be a demon, but an angel inside.
    Years
  • I don't have anything against Pikachu's anime voice being used as its cry though.
    Me neither ^

I mostly prefer the orginal pre-3DS sounds.
    But overall the sound quality is better, and some cries may be better than the original, though that is a matter of taste.
    I like e.g. how Charizard's 3DS cry sounds like an engine on low revs.

HeroLinik

To this day, he still can't beat Air Man...
    Years
  • While on that, can I have a moment of silence for Reshiram's updated cry?

Don't even get me started on that one. The original one was an awesome-sounding roar, and now it just sounds like a howling dog. Oh, how the mighty have fallen...
    At least Heatran's cry sounds better now than it did before - I'm really digging it.

pkmin3033

Honestly, I wish they'd do away with the feature entirely; the sound bytes have always gotten on my nerves and I can't stand them.

That said, the 3DS ones have a generally more muted feel to them. Whilst that makes them slightly easier on the ears, it does mean they've lost something of their individuality...much like the 3D models that have replaced the sprites.

Pokemon just isn't a series that is moving to 3D gracefully.

Drayton

Chilled Dude of The Elite Four
    Years
    • He/They/Them
    • Seen Feb 21, 2024
    I rather enjoy original since cries are better on original version that remakes, since certain remakes makes the cry bit uglier or some content itself unpleasing enough, would hurt if they make anime cries in the game instead just pikachu

Back