• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Chit-Chat: daily vidya chat

EC

Years
    • he/him
    • Seen Jul 1, 2022
    I wonder if they'll just bring back games as HD remasters instead of launching a Virtual Console. For instance, the Mario Galaxy games were ported to that NVIDEA Shield console thing, so...

pkmin3033

I think that could very well happen for some games - I fully expect them to re-release the HD Zelda titles on the Switch at some stage, at least; the majority of the work is already done - but I still hope to see a proper Virtual Console, especially for handheld titles and probably N64/Gamecube titles as well. Far easier and cheaper to put them on that, rather than take the time to bring them back as HD remasters.

Nintendo frustrate me immensely; they're sitting on an amazing library of console and handheld titles that they don't utilise properly. They've made a serious mess of every Virtual Console they've had to date, and I have little hopes for the Switch's being any better...especially because of how long it's taking them to actually get it up =/

machomuu

Stuck in Hot Girl Summer
    Years
  • You know, I honestly wish for a future where HD remastering becomes a technique rather than a means to release a game again at X price. It just makes sense to me that at some point in the future they'd just announce games X, Y, and Z as either being upgradable to a certain platform or having inside tech to seamlessly translate controls and like to the said platform and sell them as VC titles.

It wouldn't be impossible, though there's less money in that than treating them as bigger releases and selling them for 20-30 dollars less than your average new release. For Nintendo, though, it'd be a godsend because then they'd actually be able to put out more rereleases at a much faster clip and, y'know...actually put out old games for once.

pkmin3033

I'm beginning to think there won't be a proper Switch VC, and Nintendo are instead going to re-release minis of all of their past consoles, with outrageous prices that get inflated further due to their inability to provide adequate stock, and are easily hackable so you can play the games you actually want to play rather than the built-in garbage that comes with them. Probably. Even more money in that. Or there would be if they'd provide the stock. Which they won't, because this is Nintendo.

In other news, Shenmue I and II will be released on PS4 in 2018 and the internet is going nuts over it...and here I sit, disappointed that they didn't announce Phantasy Star Online 2 for a Western release. I've never played a Shenmue game, and when *everyone* gets excited about something, that usually means it won't meet my expectations for that level of excitement, so I'm not sure if I should care or not. Hm.

Years
  • Shenmue is the spiritual predecessor to the Yakuza franchise, so yeah I'm excited. Don't have to emulate or buy a Dreamcast any more so that's good.

>when *everyone* gets excited about something, that usually means it won't meet my expectations for that level of excitement, so I'm not sure if I should care or not. Hm.

lol

pkmin3033

I've never played a Yakuza game before either, so that means nothing to me, haha.

...and I'm usually right when it comes to hype levels being over-inflated. I mean, Breath of the Wild was an experience I could have done without, and the excitement for that was off the walls. Despite this, I am actually considering picking up the new God of War game next week...idk anymore. This is why I ignore people when it comes to gaming. Only my opinion matters to me when it's my money that I'll be spending >.>

Years
  • That's the best way to be. I play what I think I'll enjoy too.

I will say that there are plenty of people indifferent to the Shenmue news, you just have to look around a bit more. There's lots of criticism about the games from people that have played them in the past too. Things like the combat being ruined by quick time events, some people like the combat but think there's not enough of it, the story being dragged out by menial things and the fact that it doesn't appear to have had a graphical update.

Also any hype for a re-release should be taken with a pinch of salt seeing as a lot of it will be nostalgia.

Have you looked into Yakuza 0? It's the best.

pkmin3033

Well, there's not much point in playing something if it isn't fun for you just because it is fun for others, right? I may very well give up on Undertale for this reason; I just can't get into it. I generally know my own tastes by this point, but trying to branch outside of them is a pretty difficult thing to do sometimes because of hype and the general lack of non-biased information out there. Going in blind is often the best way to go with games I think, but when you don't have the time or money to really waste on games that aren't enjoyable...can be tricky sometimes.

Nostalgia has always been the driving force behind the video games industry, I think...that, and good advertising campaigns. Especially recently, with the excessive number of remasters, remakes, and ports we've had of older games...not that this is necessarily a BAD thing, but given the lack of effort put into a lot of re-releases (Shadow of the Colossus springs to mind for its godawful controls) and the freakin' irritating mini consoles I'm beginning to think it's becoming more harmful than not...

I've never looked into the Yakuza series; I've never really thought about it. I'm not wholly disinterested, there is just...so much else to play. They never really appeared on my radar before. I only know of Shenmue because the announcement of the third game was a HUGE thing back whenever that happened, and because of the excitement around the re-release announced yesterday.

Years
    • Seen Oct 22, 2023
    Yo-kai Watch for the Switch is sounding like something to look forward to. I've never tried it on 3DS; now might be a good opportunity.

pkmin3033

So, Big in Japan and Golden Week sales are both happening on the PSN right now. Anybody buying anything?

I've already grabbed Digimon Story Cyber Sleuth: Hacker's Memory, and the Persona 5 DLC bundle...that game is trying my patience. 9 hours in and only just finished the first dungeon. SERIOUS pacing issues here. I'll be in my 30s before I finish it at this rate. But it's tolerable. Unlike Persona 4, which was not.

I am hovering over Shiren the Wanderer on Vita, and the Devil May Cry bundle for PS4, because I loved Bayonetta 2 and I want more of the same. Although ?24.99 for all 4 on PS4 vs ?3.29 for the trilogy on PS3 is giving me pause...value for money, or convenience? Decisions...

Last edited:

machomuu

Stuck in Hot Girl Summer
    Years
  • I might get something PS+ exclusive, if anything. Been spending a lot of time on my PS4 these past few weeks, finally got back into Persona 5 after a year on-hold, and playing Samurai Warriors Empires because I bought it and never touched it despite my love for the Empires off-shoot.

Oh, and kinda getting back into Samurai Warriors 4 itself because playing Empires always makes me realize how fantastic a Warriors entry that was.

I've been wanting something for my Vita buuuuuuut space so yeh. Otherwise I think I'll probably keep my wallet safe for now, not really champing at the bit to get anything that isn't on PC.

@LV Woah woah wait hold on, since when are you into Danganronpa? Have you played 1 and 2?

pkmin3033

I've never actually played an Empires title - how do they compare with other Warriors games? I do love the Samurai Warriors spinoffs...Spirit of Sanada was surprisingly good, and 4-II giving a playable Gracia who wasn't terrible was much appreciated.

It's weird, but I've never been overly keen on Dynasty Warriors as a series. The spinoffs are often fantastic, though. Maybe it's just the variety in the cast. Hyrule Warriors is the best 3D Zelda game ever made.

Empires is a bit too expensive on PS4 still thought - ?20 digitally on sale, vs. the ?16.40 I could pick it up for on Amazon. Honestly. This is why I only buy digital-only titles in sales...because they're not sales for physical games unless they're ancient or on last generation platforms.

Last edited:

machomuu

Stuck in Hot Girl Summer
    Years
  • The Empires games were honestly, for a long time, the only Warriors titles I played. It wasn't really because I didn't like the main ones- always been a big fan, but I'd usually get into the numbered entries a year-ish after they were already released which basically meant that XL and Empires were there, so I'd just nab the latter. Even looking back and thinking that, in DW, I went 2->3->5E->6E->7E-4->8->8E is a bit weird.

Backstory aside, are they worth it? Uh...hard to say, because they kinda all have their own flair and spice. Like, for instance, the big thing about Dynasty Warriors 4/5E and SW4E was that you didn't really control a single character, but your entire Kingdom. It's basically like a very, very lite Romance of the Three Kingdoms (the game series) but it's a hell of a lot of fun even if it can be a bit repetitive. Dynasty Warriors 6E kinda changed things up by introducing the freelancer, where you'd basically choose one officer in a kingdom to play and you were able to even leave kingdoms. This added a fun little dynamic where you could meet people, create your own little squad and either covertly help/hinder kingdoms that were at war with each other, raise your own flag, etc. Sadly DW6 was a mess and so was its Empires title, and I'd say if you're interested in it at all, 7's probably the best of them, with 8 not far behind. But if you want to keep on the SW train 4E's really fun. I don't know if I'd say it's as good as 4 itself considering that game absolutely nailed mission structure, but it's still a good title if you did enjoy 4.

Aaaaand I'm going to say because I could literally go on for hours about anything Warriors related. ESPECIALLY the Empires titles because no one ever talks about them and I'd be the loudest goddamn advocate I could be. I generally get immersed in them so it's really easy for me to play them for long periods of time, they're just good fun, and I know a fair few fans that surprisingly do the same, but I'd say for you, just give one a try and see how it catches your fancy.

And yeah, that's kinda how I am, too. For some reason console games have no idea what the hell price depreciation is. I'm not gonna say that your game needs to drop in price overtime because it's worth less, but I'm also not going to pay 60 bucks for Tales of Vespiria digitally just because I can't find it in goddamn stores. I mean, it's really on you guys if you want lost sales.

Last edited:

pkmin3033

I seeeeee...I'd be inclined to go with SW4E over a DW title, if only because I'm familiar with the characters by now and I find them much more engaging...not as engaging as the Sengoku Basara cast, but hey, we're never going to get another one of those games over here anyway. Which is a damn shame, because it's the single largest concentration of large I've ever seen in a single franchise. I have no experience with Romance of the Three Kingdoms as a series either, although I'm relatively new-ish to these things...for the longest time, I was put off by the character designs, and that my first Warriors experience (if we're not counting Mystic Heroes, which we probably shouldn't) was Dynasty Warriors 7 didn't help much.

Hmm...if you want a Vita title, I'd suggest thinking about Samurai Warriors Chronicles 3 if you've not already played it. The Chronicle Mode might appeal to you, and the what-if scenarios you can unlock are actually pretty interesting. It's not the most polished of experiences, but it's pretty unique...and probably (hopefully?) on sale right now.

Also, you owe it to yourself to play Spirit of Sanada if you haven't already. It has a pretty coherent plot and it's actually a pretty good one...although that only certain characters age is pretty jarring. You have a Yukimura Sanada in his 40s or so and Kunoichi still looks like she's about 18...oh, also you get to ride a panda. Masayuki is also even more broken than Yukimura, and I didn't think that was possible. The game also has scouting segments which, whilst they're not as polished as they could be, break up gameplay flow pretty nicely.

...not sure why you'd want to buy a copy of Tales of Vesperia anyway to be honest, it's right down there with Zestiria and Abyss as one of the worst Tales titles...

Also, please send help.

puzaxoxyda

Banned
    Years
    • Seen May 1, 2018
    I hope Kingdom Come Deliverance doesn't suck. . . I'm actually looking forward to it next year.

pkmin3033

I hope Kingdom Come Deliverance doesn't suck. . . I'm actually looking forward to it next year.
    Next year? It was released in February :o

It seems to have been received quite favourably by critics if that means anything to you, although the Xbox version is a little buggier than the PS4/PC versions...but this is nothing new, because Xbox. Whether or not you'd enjoy it...well, if you've been looking forward to it, then probably?

Years
  • idk what it is lately, but Monster Hunter isn't really hooking me in like I thought it would.

... or maybe because the whole point of MH is to play with other people and not be a solo journey kind of thing.

Back