• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

In your opinion, is it worth buying manga?

Years
    • Age 29
    • Seen Jan 28, 2019
    Just as the title says, would you spend your money to buy manga, or would you read it online for free? For me, I would buy manga that I read over and over again.

Years
    • Seen Sep 17, 2017
    I know I shouldn't do this, and that buying is the right thing to do, but I love collecting a cleaner version of them scanned in my PC if I happen to love the said manga.
    Besides, most of the manga I read have something or other in them that I wouldn't want lying in my room waiting to be read by someone else.

Since my PC is encrypted, I like storing everything there, including all my manga.
    Moreover, I actually like it this way much more, and there are a lot of manga which doesn't have official translation, so there's not choice. But I love it like this anyways.

Weeaboo Name

Banned
    Years
  • Same as anime, if you really like it, buy it.

Actually holding the volume in your hand is far superior to reading scans online or downloading.

Shanghai Alice

Exiled to Siberia
    Years
  • It really depends.

If it's a series I like, or even mildly enjoy, I'll buy the physical copy.

Something like Karin only warranted an online read.

Still, I've spent over $250 in manga, so I believe I'm supporting the industry.

Not to mention, I've already marked down my next $50 for updating my Haruhi and Lucky Star collections.

And, to put it in perspective...
    $10 for something that'll take me an hour or three to read (depending on how often I get to read it, and how interested I am)? Not bad.

$50 for something that contains about four episodes? HELL NO.

Anime is highway robbery. If you don't admit that, you're in denial.

Years
  • Reading something physical is more enjoyable, I feel. I like the little compact manga that they make in Japan. As soon as I saw those I thought: "Why can't all the translated manga be like this?" It made me feel like I was getting less than what I was paying for... so I stopped buying translated manga and only buy Japanese ones. (I'm not someone who'd just read online and no pay for anything.) It makes for good language practice even if it takes much longer to get through one book. If I really want to read something quickly I'd probably buy it in Japanese and find some scanlations.

Oryx

CoquettishCat
    Years
    • Age 31
    • Seen Jan 30, 2015
    I hate reading things online, but most of the time I just can't afford manga, so I get to it any way I can. But if I had the money, I would always buy the physical version, just because I love reading it in my hands. Plus, a page on the internet takes longer to load than it takes me to read so I get impatient.

Years
    • Seen Apr 2, 2023
    I really like supporting the print medium, that coupled with the fact that I just don't like reading comics online makes it easy for me to buy manga. Though I don't buy too often because I already have most of what I want, I do like being able to have the series I really love on hand.

digi-kun

Hourai NEET
    Years
    • Age 34
    • Seen Mar 12, 2018
    I enjoy reading out of books, so I go with that. My only thing is against those manga that go on forever, unless you REALLY enjoy those.

Shanghai Alice

Exiled to Siberia
    Years
  • ^DOUBLE POSTING FAIL. HEY, EVERYBODY. DIGI HAS A DOUBLE-POSTING FAIL.

(User was banned for this post.)

Buts srsly. I hate long runners too. That's why I typically buy either completed series, or series that are just starting, so I can keep up with them.

Because buying (and reading) 20 volumes just to catch up is nuts.

Years
    • Seen Apr 12, 2011
    For the speed I read manga (usually around 40-50 minutes a volume), I find buying them out of the question unless they are for collection purposes. It's not like manga is cheap, infact in most of the shops in manchester it is grossly overpriced imo.

I don't read much manga, and when I do it It'll be online or using the app on my android.

Cherrim

PSA: Blossom Shower theme is BACK ♥
    Years
  • I believe the future of literature is not in printed form, but I don't really like reading comics on a screen. It hurts my eyes and none of my screens are really well-suited for reading comics or e-books.

Anyway, I don't read much manga now at all, but when I like a series I'll still buy the books. If something isn't interesting I won't read it at all but if it is, I try to buy it and worst case, I've got quite a collection of first-volumes of things I'll never move past. I think in the future though, if I get back into reading manga, I'll support the industry by buying (probably not renting) the digital copies and facilitating a move toward that style of distribution.

Elite Overlord LeSabre™

On that 'Non stop road'
    Years
  • I buy rather than read online, but I tend to go for shorter series or ones that are just starting out. I've only read one online, and that was because it hasn't been published in my country. But yeah, I don't like reading books on computer screens.

EmeraldSerenade

babyboy
    Years
  • I only purchase manga that I REALLY like, and I mean REALLY like. And I don't like many to be honest.. Sure, its a lot better to have the actual book in your hands then reading online, but it costs money, which is something I don't always have.

Graceful

あぁ、たいさ!♥
    Years
  • I have to read manga online because I have no money :'(
    But really, I find translated and online manga have better translations than the actual print of manga.
    And then Tokyopop or whatever isn't released where I live >.>

notcrazy_iminsane

Manga Artist
    Years
  • I buy manga for multiple reasons:

1- I like the series.
    2- It will be there for reference (Like if I get in an arguement about a character, forget what happens, or just need an idea for when writing)
    3- I want to share a series with a friend

I mostly read a series online if it's not being published in America or it doesn't have an official English translation (Like Hitogatana. I have yet to find the books in English, only translated on Mangafox).

Plus, reading books on a computer just feels wrong to me.
    Anime on the other hand... I download since DVDs are too expensive.

Thomas

HAIL HYDRA!
    Years
  • If I enjoy the series I will buy it...all I own is Nartuo, DB, DBZ, FMA, and DNAngel....but I've read more online...the books are just so much nicer to read. :)

rennir

Dragon Friend
    Years
    • Seen Jul 15, 2014
    Not really considering the fact that you can read everything online. Then again, I guess it's worth it for sentimental value.

Years
    • Seen Jul 3, 2011
    Buy it! I don't think digital manga is a substitute for paper manga. I prefer to 'hold something physical' in my hand than read it on a computer screen.

And if cost is a problem, get it from a 2nd hand bookstore!
    If I want to see what a manga series is like, I'll just buy the 1st volume in the series. Then later decide whether to buy future volumes (of that series) or not. I did that with Bleach and found out that it was not of my liking.

Last edited:

Taemin

move.
    Years
    • he / they
    • USA
    • Seen Apr 2, 2024
    I don't read a ton of manga anymore, and those I do read are mostly series that are only out in Japan, so I end up having to read them online for lack of being able to any other way. :/

Though, when I really like a series, I will buy the manga themselves. I used to buy 'em on a whim, just to own a new manga, but that was back when I was in middle school, and highschool and read them often. Now days I have to really love a series to bother actually buying it, and I know that's bad of me. xD;

It's more of a "I could sit in my room for hours, and read manga, or I do other things that I would enjoy more / need to get done", so lack of time plays a part.

Back