• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

In your opinion, is it worth buying manga?

Years
    • Seen May 24, 2011
    If the series is good, I'd buy the actual manga on paper, otherwise, I'd read them online.

Shiroi Alucard

White Knight
    Years
    Same as anime, if you really like it, buy it.

Actually holding the volume in your hand is far superior to reading scans online or downloading.
    Exactly how I feel about this. I love holding the manga in my hands, it just sucks there is never enough room though.

Nutella

♫ Purple Hurple ♫
    Years
    For the most part, I prefer reading it online or downloading it. I only buy the ones I REALLY like, or ones that I can't even find online. Purchasing usually is out of necessity rather than preference.

Shiny Gardevoir

I huntz shiniez
    Years
    It depends on the manga. If it's one I badly like, and I have the money, then I'll buy it. Like TWGOK, I can just stare at it the whole day... If I have one...

I also buy if I see a familiar one I like which is on sale. Like Vampire Game. I saw them on sale... I had money... So, why not? ^_^

Koi

Years
    • Seen Oct 24, 2023
    I used to buy manga and spend hundreds of dollars on it, but I stopped buying it when I found out that I could read manga free from online.

Still, I do buy manga I really like such as Shugo Chara and ARIA.

As for anime, I use to spend thousands of dollars on DVD but stopped buying it when I found out that I could use YouTube to watch most of the anime I want for free.

Still, like the manga, I do buy anime I really like and I occasionally buy blu-ray copies of anime too so I can watch it on my HDTV! ☆(≧ω≦)

Audihertz

MATHEMATICAL
    Years
    I agree with you; I buy manga if I would read it over and over again.. which I tend to do. Sometimes I read manga solely online, then I end up loving it to death, so I go and buy the first volume or the volumes with my favourite parts in it so I can read them.. over and over and over...-

Satoshi Ookami

Memento Mori
    Years
    I love buying manga, it's really something else to have it to just read it online :D
    I do read manga online and have some manga in physical form so you can say a bit of both options =)
    My biggest collection is 15 volumes of Tsubasa Chronicle =)

blackmorale

風の行方
    Years
    I spent a lot of money on manga, but now I quite regret buying them, lol (minus Fullmetal Alchemist). I'm quite cautious about my manga and they end up sitting in my bookshelf, never to see the light again.

razzbat

dancer
    Years
    Actually holding the volume in your hand is far superior to reading scans online or downloading.
    this. online reading just doesn't quite cut it, reading with a backlight is pretty lame, feels more comfortable to hold onto a physical copy and it just feels so good to open up a new volume.
    i don't read online and will always buy the manga i want to read. luckily for me, i read the jap copies where each volume is about $4-5 new and $2-3 second hand, which usually is in mint condition. whenever i go to japan, i would usually buy around 50 volumes to last around a year. atm i think i've got around 200 volumes.

~Ryukaa

total nerd
    Years
    With manga, I usually like buying 1 to 3 volumes of series I like. It's harder for me to buy manga, since there's no local bookstore, and we hardly go shopping. The most volumes I've bought from a series is 10 volumes from Shaman King. It's worth buying manga, definitely. It's nice to have the solid book in your hands, especially with series you like.

Years
    • they/them
    • Seen Dec 11, 2023
    I like buying manga for the series I like. What usually happens that I would read the manga online, and then if I enjoyed said manga I would start buying it so it would be much easier for me to reread it whenever I feel like it. Picking up random manga and checking them out is nice too, but there's always the case that you don't enjoy it as much as you thought you would.

Chikara

ʕ´•ᴥ•`ʔ
    Years
    It's worth buying manga so you can sell manga. I have $1,000+ worth in manga on my book shelf just waiting for me to take pictures of them and get them all sold.

But I've read better manga online that isn't printed in America. So it's good for a collection hobby, but for stories, online stuff is better.

Alternative

f i r e f l y .
    Years
    In preference to myself, and the one manga book I've actually read all the way through, I think I prefer to actually read the manga through a book instead of reading it online. There's some something about reading manga, or anything for that matter from a book, instead of a screen. More excitement and thrill I suppose.

Years
    I enjoy having a physical library of books in my room. I couldn't read anything online anyways, the idea of the rest of the internet being just a click or two away makes a huge distraction.

Years
    I read it online because mangas way too expensive compared to other books. Still, the library is always an option if there's one with a good collection closeby, and if I do get rich enough I DEFINITELY plan to buy all my favorite manga in physical form.

Years
    I do read a lot of manga online but i also have quite a few volumes of manga on my bookcase. I always try and buy the volumes of anything i read online if i can get it / have the money for it.

.Marion

RNG Master
    Years
    IMO, if you really like that manga, then buy it in order to show your support for the author who made it. Its more of a moral thing to do, really!

Back