• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Discussion] What Do You Expect In A RMXP Project?

Harvey_Create

Pokemon Apex Team Member
Years
  • I started Pokemon Zentro as a School Project in marketing. We had to come up with a product to sell/release.
    Well, i joined with UltimateDillion On Pokemon Apex instead.

today i was asked to create a survey as to what the game should have and how people view it.

Pokemon Apex is a new styled game, focusing on a newer Branching storyline. The Maps are expansive and creative. With a new hero/heroine, you shall unravel the story behind those characters, while fighting off a war or regions. Many side quests shall be added into it for a non-linear path.

My questions to you are:

1. What Features do you want to see in a Pokemon game?

2. What are some Storyline plots to add to it that will make it different?

3. If you heard the name "Pokemon Apex" without any information on it, what do you think?

4. What do you think of the HeartGold/Soulsilver Graphics, and the Follow Me Feature?

5. What do you think when you hear "advanced Combat System?"

All feedback is appreciated.

Thank you!

~Harvey Out.

Theik

Fancy Cape Knight
    Years
    • Seen Nov 16, 2014
    We had to come up with a product to sell/release.
    Afraid to say this, but I think that's one course you've failed. ;) Can't exactly sell somebody else's trademarked property.

I also do not really see how this question is relevant to the Pokémon Essentials.

Maruno

Lead Dev of Pokémon Essentials
    Years
    • Seen yesterday
    My questions to you are:

3. If you heard the name "Pokemon Apex" without any information on it, what do you think?

4. What do you think of the HeartGold/Soulsilver Graphics, and the Follow Me Feature?

1. I don't actually play the games, so I'm not sure I'm qualified to answer this. I don't know half the features in BW, let alone B2W2, let alone fangames. The only feature I'd care about is the "it actually exists and you can download and play it" feature (and good spelling).

2. See my answer to 1.

3. No "if" about it; I know nothing about your game. I don't think anything about the name, except that it's different for not being named after a colour or precious metal/gem. That's certainly no indicator of what the game will be like, though, so I have no expectations.

4. The fancier the graphics, the easier it is to get bogged down with them and neglect actually making the game. Maybe it's just me, but I'd prefer an actual game using the default graphics over pretty screenshots of something that'll never exist. As for walking with Pokémon, I've made it clear in the past that I don't like it - it's a silly gimmick that does nothing useful and is a pain to code properly.

5. I think "advanced how?". I then answer myself by saying: "probably aspirations of a real-time control-the-battler-in-an-arena deal, and that's daft." Why daft? The player is the trainer, not the Pokémon. More orders to shout at my mons may be nice, but I don't want to possess them during battles or anything. Alternative, the phrase could mean, "I've thought up a new situational mechanic, and I want to completely change everything to focus on it and my brilliance", and that won't end well either.

Crystal Noel

RPG Maker VX Ace Scripter
    Years

• My questions to you are:

All feedback is appreciated.

Thank you!

~Harvey Out.
    1. A lot of side quests makes for good longevity.
    2. Maybe make it like Black and White were the main focus was not entirely on the Gyms and Elite 4.
    3.There is some kind of of Flying-type Pokemon that the game revolves a round
    4. Black and White graphics look slightly better and fit into the 32 by 32 frame nicer and I really loved having Pokemon follow you around.
    5. "Advanced Combat System" makes me think of the ATB or CTB systems from Final Fantasy.

Harvey_Create

Pokemon Apex Team Member
    Years
  • Afraid to say this, but I think that's one course you've failed. ;) Can't exactly sell somebody else's trademarked property.

I also do not really see how this question is relevant to the Pokémon Essentials.

well, its pretend. i am not going to profit off of the game. And i am using Pokemon essentials for make the game.
    As for me failing the course, i have an A for this project. My teacher did say you got me on that. i cant sell trademarked property. But we were supposed to pretend. I am pretending the project was started because GameFreak contacted me and told me i could help make a game. Now, being as how i am 17, this is not logical.

Years
    • Seen Apr 7, 2014
    If this is a theoretical situation where you've been contacted by Gamefreak and told to make a Pokemon game, wouldn't it make more sense to ask what people expect from Pokemon games in general? I mean, unless Gamefreak asked you to make your game specifically in RMXP with Essentials, which seems... odd. Like, odder than the rest of this.

Lord Varion

Guess who's back?
    Years
    • Age 29
    • Seen Jan 6, 2015
    If this is a theoretical situation where you've been contacted by Gamefreak and told to make a Pokemon game, wouldn't it make more sense to ask what people expect from Pokemon games in general? I mean, unless Gamefreak asked you to make your game specifically in RMXP with Essentials, which seems... odd. Like, odder than the rest of this.

The fact that they'd call a 17 year old out of the blue seems odd, when a lot of people get denied places within Gamefreak and Nintendo when they have the full qualifications.

Harvey_Create

Pokemon Apex Team Member
    Years
  • 1. I don't actually play the games, so I'm not sure I'm qualified to answer this. I don't know half the features in BW, let alone B2W2, let alone fangames. The only feature I'd care about is the "it actually exists and you can download and play it" feature (and good spelling).

2. See my answer to 1.

3. No "if" about it; I know nothing about your game. I don't think anything about the name, except that it's different for not being named after a colour or precious metal/gem. That's certainly no indicator of what the game will be like, though, so I have no expectations.

4. The fancier the graphics, the easier it is to get bogged down with them and neglect actually making the game. Maybe it's just me, but I'd prefer an actual game using the default graphics over pretty screenshots of something that'll never exist. As for walking with Pokémon, I've made it clear in the past that I don't like it - it's a silly gimmick that does nothing useful and is a pain to code properly.

5. I think "advanced how?". I then answer myself by saying: "probably aspirations of a real-time control-the-battler-in-an-arena deal, and that's daft." Why daft? The player is the trainer, not the Pokémon. More orders to shout at my mons may be nice, but I don't want to possess them during battles or anything. Alternative, the phrase could mean, "I've thought up a new situational mechanic, and I want to completely change everything to focus on it and my brilliance", and that won't end well either.

i did have a link to the game. so you could have looked it up ;)
    Dillon told me he was putting in "An Advanced Combat System." i don't know exactly what is in store yet. so that is why i asked you. as for graphics, HG/SS are generic non 3-d tile-sets. there isn't anything really fancy, but i need to know what graphics catch peoples attention. As well as the name. Apex was a name Dillon set down for the game. see, when i think apex of something involving a summit. So either a dramatic plot, or it literally involving a mountain.
    So otherwise thanks for the feedback. :)

1. A lot of side quests makes for good longevity.
    2. Maybe make it like Black and White were the main focus was not entirely on the Gyms and Elite 4.
    3.There is some kind of of Flying-type Pokemon that the game revolves a round
    4. Black and White graphics look slightly better and fit into the 32 by 32 frame nicer and I really loved having Pokemon follow you around.
    5. "Advanced Combat System" makes me think of the ATB or CTB systems from Final Fantasy.

I was thinking pretty expansive quests. in the towns, there would be a couple people to talk to offering quests to do, such as taking them somewhere, delivering stuff to people, or going to overthrow someone like gym leaders and such.i like your interpretation of the games name. as for B/W graphics, they do look good, but not when they are 2D. I have also had trouble finding them, as they are still new. The combat system your thinking of would be cool, bu ti dont think would fit into a pokemon game. When dillon told me we might put in an advanced syestem, i was thinking more of a time based battle instead of turn based. Example: You can have 6 moves, and take up charge time, and you could use them freely when the are charged. This would make it a less predictable battle. Thanks for the feedback

I guess this game would be a test to get into the staff og Gamefreak. but once again, its not about a backstory as to how, but the fact that "my product" is a pokemon game.

Last edited:

Maruno

Lead Dev of Pokémon Essentials
    Years
    • Seen yesterday
    i did have a link to the game. so you could have looked it up ;)
    Dillon told me he was putting in "An Advanced Combat System." i don't know exactly what is in store yet. so that is why i asked you. as for graphics, HG/SS are generic non 3-d tile-sets. there isn't anything really fancy, but i need to know what graphics catch peoples attention. As well as the name. Apex was a name Dillon set down for the game. see, when i think apex of something involving a summit. So either a dramatic plot, or it literally involving a mountain.
    So otherwise thanks for the feedback. :)
    You did ask for impressions of the game's name without any knowledge about the game. I didn't have any knowledge about it, saw the link but chose to ignore it for the purpose of answering your question, and answered.

I really can't decide whether this qualifies as a genuine thread about game development, or whether it's just an advert for your game. They may be (mostly) general questions, but they're only about those topics as they exist (or are perceived to exist) in your game.

Fire Flyy

metaphysical poet
    Years
  • Just that they hold themselves to the standards of game freak, regardless of whether they have the resources to do so entirely. Trying and making maps that could pass for legitimate ones and not having elements of the game that are ridiculous, even if the game seeks to divert from the norm [like all the Pokemon talking or people killing each other left and right]. I never saw the point in showcasing a product that isn't really refined in any way and is just sort of messy, unless it's as an idea. Don't settle for mediocre, it seems like back in the older days people were more concerned about making their game truly excellent rather than just making a game for the sake of a game.

Spoiler:

Back