• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Greenlit: How to battle with [Pokemon]!

ddrox13

Anti-Nonsense
Years
  • IN WHICH I, ddrox13 (or possibly someone who can actually write), will tell the world how useful those silly F-Tier Pokemon can be when properly abused.

This would be a series of short articles about Pokemon not rated highly in the competitive metagame, and how they can be used effectively, and what beats and/or outclasses them. This will include some truly niche picks (see Se Jun Park's Pachirisu) and some mons that have fallen to the low Bs or Cs in the viability rankings but haven't dropped (looking at you, Sylveon). I can probably take some suggestions as for what to do them on, but I have a number in mind already. I'll probably focus on OU, but could be expanded into lower tiers as I re-explore them.

bobandbill

one more time
    Years
  • I'm also interested - it'd be a neat idea, and touching on history as well (that Pachirisu! Guess that'd be a VGC article then?) sounds like a good direction to take some entries in.

Would you be planning on using any example battle logs/videos? Also which Pokemon would you like to tackle first?

ddrox13

Anti-Nonsense
    Years
  • If I can find some of my old AV Pachirisu abusing UU logs lel...

I actually think I'll start with Froslass, as it's a pokemon I use a ton in my Monotype teams and just built an OU team with her anyway. It's BL2 simply for being a worse Klefki/ChompChomp/Terry, but certainly has it's uses as a suicide lead.

Years
    • he/him
    • Seen yesterday
    The quality of the articles will really depend on what Pokemon you pick. For example, Pachirisu has absolutely no competitive value in singles. I don't think it'd be a good idea to cover it unless it's intended for humor. Sylveon, Froslass, etc. would be neat picks though.

ddrox13

Anti-Nonsense
    Years
  • Thanks for the feedback!

Yeah, i'll probably just try to cover OU/UU mons that don't see much use within their tier or the one above if it applies, explaining what "outclasses" it and when it is worth picking over said mons. That should deal with everything Wolf and Archy pointed out. Really, I just want to highlight cool mons that deserve more use.

As an example, I said that Froslass can make a great spikes lead in OU, and is faster than and checks many other OU leads, such as Garchomp and Landorus-T. Froslass can also use the combination of Focus Sash and Destiny Bond to often secure a 1-for-1 trade. It also is good at protecting it's Spikes, as it's Ghost typing makes it a natural spinblocker and Taunt dissuades Defogs. However, it doesn't get SR, it is heavily reliant on prediction, and Froslass is incredibly M-Sable weak and loses to anything faster than base 110 speed. (I need to make this more noob friendly and consistent, but you get the point)

Also will probably change the name to something simpler that highlights the fact that I am now looking at Pokemon rather than sets, such as "Why Should I Use [Pokemon]?" or even something cheesy like "Pokemon That Don't Suck" or "Why [Pokemon] Doesn't Suck".

So yeah, tell me what you think. I'll be over here writing Froslass' post and get a draft example when it's done. (Also recommend mons to do and new titles)

Years
    • he/him
    • Seen yesterday
    Maybe "Offbeat/Alternative Competitive Pokemon" for a title?

Definitely don't limit yourself to only OU and UU Pokemon. I was just saying that some Pokemon like Pachirisu are really bad, but it shouldn't discount others. e.g. Dragalge, Kingdra, Alomomola, Amoonguss, Bronzong, Dugtrio, Exploud, Jellicent, Omastar, Rhyperior, Seismitoad, Sigilyph, Slowking, Tangrowth, Tyrantrum, Quagsire, Shedinja, Kabutops, Cacturne, Gorebyss.

Also worth noting that the Latis don't like switching into Froslass.

ddrox13

Anti-Nonsense
    Years
  • https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B8M-mT9_tkLNNl9MQnhLLTBGb2M/view?usp=sharing

That is a base for the Froslass segment, just so yall can comment on the formatting and content and stuffs. If it looks like I went ahead and made a draft before this idea got formally approved, it's because I did really just so I can receive input on anything else people might want to see or whatever.

and thanks for that list Wolf. As I implied at the bottom of that draft-like object, I'll probably do Quagsire next if this gets approved because I have used it a ton and it does stuff.

Name was also changed to "Why [Pokemon] Doesn't Suck, etc." Thread title will be changed to reflect this.

Oh, and do you think we could get a link to the Daily put in the top bar of the forum? Possibly replace the chatroom no one uses? I dunno.

Back