• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Why is there no blacks in Pokemon?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tudj

HeartGold :P
Years
  • Well they are really imitating their own culture, they aren't going to change it in the other cultural translations. And ever thought of this, Brock was black(ish) and he was like a slave in pokemon doing all the cleaning and cooking.

Polizard

Awesome Trainer
    Years
  • I never noticed it just like in uncharted drakes fortune my cousin thinks that is racist because u always killing Hispanic and black people but i think u nd him are just reading to much into it and just remember to enjoy playing the game

Kieran

the Blueberry Champion
    Years
  • Sometimes they avoid other religions so they won't mistakenly offend the other religious they don't really know about.

Haza

☆A Life of Pokémon and Beyoncé ☆
    Years
    • Age 32
    • Seen Oct 1, 2021
    Yeah, most characters are Asian based, not white, I can only think of three characters who I know for certain are white. Lt, Surge, and Fatina. U think it would be cool to have more races, not just black incorporated altough we did get Dahlia who is of Arabian descent.

I Laugh at your Misfortune!

Normal is a synonym for boring
    Years
  • So that basically means if I made a show based in Australia that, in parts, touched on different nationalities but I missed out on Hispanic and Black people (because there aren't HUGE amounts of them here), that would be ok right?

Please, get real.

I'm worried tht you live in Australia and yet have never seen Neighbours.

I've watched it for about...er...two or three years now nd I've seen one Korean girl. Everyone else is a white Australian. And guess what? Nobody cares, because it makes sense.

If you had a show set in Roman Britain, for example, you are going to have a minimal amount of black people. It's not racist because, quite simply because there would not be many black people in Roman Britain.

♣Gawain♣

Onward to Music!!!
    Years
  • Maybe they forgot that there are black people that exist? Japan has no blacks, so they'll hardly ever make thought of it. It's a shame for the jap's part too, they should put blacks, asians and other races too.

Years
    • Seen May 11, 2016
    Because the world would explode. =o

I mean. . Because there are rarely ever black, hispanics, or whites in Japan. They're all Japanese, with the exception of Machisu/Surge and whatever her name is. . I forget. Oh, right, Melissa/Fantina. *forgot* XD

And the whole 'they don't look Japanese' thing can be countered because of this: A Japanese anime creator once said that, by giving their characters bigger eyes, they can better convey emotions.

And, no, Takeshi/Brock, is not any other race besides Japanese. .​

Years
  • Well, Misty would have to be Irish, right? wait that is white...
    well, i don't know about Brock, i think they gave him that dark skin color to show how rock being his specialty is hard and rugged...

LethalTexture

Breeder and Battler
    Years
  • I believe this harks back to when Brock was replaced with tracey in the Anime for a while. they wanted to remove Brock and replace him and an Anglo-Saxon-looking character because they thought Brock would be percieved as a racial stereotype in Western civilizations as the series became popular overseas. Look it up for more.

Years
  • Like Shinjislover says, it's simply because there are not many Black people in Japan - I'm sure it's not anything racially inteded.

KnilShadowLink

#1 Arcanine Fanboy
    Years
  • Meh, my brain hurts from reading most of your guys' comments...why was this thread even created? Does it even matter? *sighs* Oh well.

IcyArceusRider

Nyaaaaa <3
    Years
  • I would have to say that this is probably because the pokemon games are made in Japan. In Japan, there are no blacks. Also, it's in the style of anime characters. Typically, anime characters are light-skinned. However, I do think this is a little odd because in Japan most of the people are dark-skinned.

Perhaps the anime style adopted the light skin color because the Japanese generally think it's attractive. It seems that people want the physical characteristics that they don't have, and since everybody in Japan has dark skin, maybe they all want light skin so they make all their characters have light skin.

Just a theory.

Years
  • I don't think it matters, the only reason that there is no blacks is because if they accidently put a black dark type gym leader they would get sued for racism.

XxDawnfanxX

The stubborn Pokemon Trainer
    Years
  • Well, to be completely fair the regions are suppose to have a representation of islands in Japan. I don't think pokemon ever had the intention to be racist lol.

Years
    • Seen Sep 9, 2019
    Do you see any in Japan? Thought so.

o.o

The only "white people" in the games are Lt. Surge and Fantina. Everyone else is Japanese or Pacific Islander (Asian).

The reason you don't see any blacks in the games is because blacks simply don't live in Japan on a level high enough that it would make sense. For that very same reason most Japanese don't know how to represent blacks outside of stereotypes, which is why they avoid them altogether.[/QUOTE.]

When I looked up the answer for this question I wasn't really talking about story characters but playable characters. I'm not sure if they're gonna add them in Sword and Shield but I've always wanted to see my character in battle where it actually looks like me. Also MOST of the regions they visit in the game are based off of places with a fair amount of black people( i.e England in Gen 8 and France in Gen 6)

Last edited:
    Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back