• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Of course, you know, this means war!

Years
  • "War can only be abolished through war."
    "War does not determine who is right - only who is left."
    "War! huh What is it good for?"
    "All is fair in love and war."
    Everyone knows war isn't pretty. People loose their friends, family, and their own lives. Even those who survive can be left physically and mentally wounded. War is hell. Even so, war is said to have positive effects. It can boost economies, unite people under a common cause, and push forward the development of new and better technology. But do the benefits outweigh the costs? When, if ever, is war justified?

Feel free to throw in your two cents on whether war is part of human nature.

Timbjerr

[color=Indigo][i][b]T-o-X-i-C[/b][/i][/color]
    Years
  • As long as humanity exists, there's always gonna be the sad fact that we'll never be able to universally agree to everything. There are always going to be political disputes between nations. As preferable as it is to solve our differences through diplomacy, there are always nations that only recognize military strength. It's a sad state of affairs, but it's just human nature.

In terms of when war is justified and when it's not...nothing short of foiling megalomaniacal dictators could be justified except under extreme circumstances.

Last edited:

NarutoActor

The rocks cry out to me
    Years
  • If someone punches you, then you hit them back. The same applies to war if someone attacks you, you retaliate. Also if your friends get into a fight, you back them up. Again same goes for war, if an allied nation is attack, you lend your support. Also any territory can declare war for independence.

Feign

Clain
    Years
    • Seen Jan 25, 2023
    If someone punches you, then you hit them back. The same applies to war if someone attacks you, you retaliate. Also if your friends get into a fight, you back them up. Again same goes for war, if an allied nation is attack, you lend your support. Also any territory can declare war for independence.

I'm sure your Jesus would say otherwise...

As for me, seeing as humanity is mortal, I don't really care what people decide to do... Just so long as they are willing to pay the consequences if I were to get involved...

I might expand on this later (in class atm).

Years
    • Age 31
    • Ohio
    • Seen Jun 6, 2017
    If someone punches you, then you hit them back. The same applies to war if someone attacks you, you retaliate. Also if your friends get into a fight, you back them up. Again same goes for war, if an allied nation is attack, you lend your support. Also any territory can declare war for independence.
    My reply will be not only a reply to your post, but to the entire thread:

An eye for an eye leaves the world blind.

.Gamer

»»───knee─►
    Years
  • War is going to exist as long as man kind exists, sorry, but its true, so you might as well win as many you can.

Fox♠

Banned
    Years
    • Age 33
    • Seen May 16, 2011
    The only (big) war I think was ever justified in modern times was world war 2. Arimies should exist only to defend in my opinion.

Miz en Scène

Everybody's connected
    Years
  • An eye for an eye leaves the world blind.
    So true...

The main problem lies with the fact that pain is not a measurable unit. If you hit me, I hit you back, but you might think that I hit you back harder so you hit me to balance it out. Then, I retaliate, but by then it's too late and everyone loses.

Throat

Oldschool pokemon
    Years
  • Who's talking about retaliation? If you don't counterattack they'll just ride your back. Unfortunately the analogy to a childish bad blood doesn't fit here.

Years
  • Humans a naturally a hostile species, and no matter what we'll find something to fight about (a certain episode of South Park puts this across quite well, albeit in a very satirical manner, but then again that's what satire is). If we want a fight we'll do everything in a power to find one, sad as it is. Sometimes it is needed to resolve some situations (I hardly thing we could have won WW2 over a pint) but most of the time it's really not, it all boils down to that fact that humans like a good fight.

And just to add to the war quotes: "You cannot simultaneously prevent and prepare for war" ~ I forget, maybe Einstein.

Years
    • Seen Jan 18, 2011
    War is a painful but necessary process. Most of the time it's propagated by gangsters and criminals, people who only want to enrich themselves. Then there's other times when war is the only way to ignite social change, such as various successful and not-so successful revolutions throughout history.

Imagine if the American Revolution never happened. Basically we'd be Canada.

Kon~

Follow your dream to the end ~
    Years
  • War in usually unwanted but inevitable.

"Everyone is a pacifist between wars - it's like being a vegetarian between meals." ~ Source unknown.

Back