• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Types and Team Building

Yuzuru Otonashi

A new start...
Years
    • Age 31
    • Seen Nov 16, 2014
    When you're making/planning a team in a game, are their any types you're lenient towards having doubles to? Or where their primary type overshadows their secondary type so much, you don't really consider the second much?

Like... doing a run through of Platinum with Kanade right now, and I have both a Roselia and Croagunk on my team. The poison nature of Roselia seems... "passive", so I don't really mind having doubles of it, much. Granted, I also have a way to counter Psychics, buuut... and, of course, I mean in-game more than competitive, as there's a big difference with this in competitive.

The types I find passive/double upable are: Fighting, Flying, Normal, sometimes Steel, sometimes Ice, sometimes Poison, sometimes Ground, and sometimes Bug.

#isthenumbersign
    Years
  • These days I try not to have duplicate types, unless I'm trying to act like a gym leader or something and go throughout the game with one type, which isn't often. xP

But I definitely agree about the Normal type being passive. Especially with all the Flying Pokemon, I don't mind having duplicate Normals.

DisesioN

One important thing is to calculate how much and what kind of types you can beat with your pokemons. Team including (Ground & Rock, Ice & Water, Dark, Fighting, Flying, +1 random pokemon, could defeat any other type.

Golem (ground & rock) > bug, fire, flying, ice, electr, poison, rock, steel.
    Cloyster (Ice & Water) > fire*, dragon, flying, grass, ground, rock*.
    Umbreon (Dark) > psychic, ghost.
    Hitmonchan (Fighting) > dark, normal, steel*, ice*, rock*.
    Pidgeot (Flying & Normal) > bug*, fight, grass*.

And you have one more spot for your favourite pokemon. :)
    By the way - watch out for weekness too.

*dublicates

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
    Years
  • Sometimes 2 of my team members have the same type because I like both Pokemon so much to not be passed up for a team slot.

Years
  • When I plan teams I decide on type, design, and weaknesses factor.

I always make sure I don't duplicate on types and also use Pokemon I like the look and moveset of.

After I do that, I have to check for any glaring weaknesses on my team so I can be prepared for that type I am weak to.

Back