• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Discussion] Pokémon Essentials v18 progress report

Status
Not open for further replies.
Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Feb 27, 2020
Hi, I'm curious do you have any rough, however rough estimate of when this beta will be ready? Seems like a lot still needs to be done, so how many months would you say based on your personal educated guess? I know it's a hobby project and a lot of work and asking for anything more precise would be silly of me. But seeing as I'm on the doorstep to my first essentials project, I cannot help wondering if I should wait for 18 or not and an estimated timeframe would help with my decision Immensely.

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 26
  • Seen Jul 25, 2022
Hi, first, thanks to Maruno for the update of Essentials. And now my question: There's a way to include in Essentials 18 a connection system like the one in the original games without having to connect 2 players to an external server? Something like the Essentials include the feature of create and join plays. I think that would make Essentials more complete.

Greetings!
PS:Sorry if my English isn't good, I'm from Cuba.

Years
  • Age 26
  • Seen Jul 25, 2022
A direct connexion multiplayer would be really cool indeed

Indeed, at least, I still have problems trying to implement third party scripts like the GTS, if Essentials would do that by default, it would be awesome and will refresh many brain-overloads for other devs.

Years
  • Age 27
  • Seen Jan 5, 2020
Is it possible to change versions? Like if a started a game with v17 and v18 came out, could I switch?

HM100

HM100 the Techno
Years
  • Age 23
  • Seen Mar 24, 2024
Is it possible to change versions? Like if a started a game with v17 and v18 came out, could I switch?

It will be difficult if you changed a lot of scripts, particularly in battle effects. That's why I didn't upgraded my years old game to Essentials 17 and above (But I have ported some fixes and additions, though)

Years
  • Age 24
  • Seen today

It technically depends on what had changed. You will have to install any scripts again, and redo edits that you may have made (though some edits become unnecessary because the update includes the feature or fixes the bug.)

Some updates break PBS files. the v17 update did just that, adding in a new required property. I don't know if that will be the case here.
A decent number of updates break public scripts. v17 also did that, as it had renamed a few classes, so older scripts using the older names crashed.

But if you didn't really do anything crazy, it'll probably port fine when the time comes.

Years
  • Age 36
  • Seen Feb 4, 2020
I had many problems with my maps also when I upgraded to v17 I had to recreate them empty then copy the previous maps and still lost some because the numbers were not the same anymore but it was worth it

Years
Tsuina wrote
I had many problems with my maps also when I upgraded to v17 I had to recreate them empty then copy the previous maps and still lost some because the numbers were not the same anymore but it was worth it
I don't think so to upgrade.. right Wolf?
It would be hard thing to do

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 28
  • Seen Nov 18, 2020
Take as much time as you need; things are better without cut corners.

Also, although I plan on using Essentials in the distant future, and I'm sure there are plenty of people who'll want Gen VIII in it, I'd honestly be equally happy if it contained up to Gen VII; if it included Gen 8, it'd be more up-to-date, but I'd have to learn an entirely new meta, and I'm not sure how you and the other devs would apply moves introduced in Gen 8 to Pokémon that don't appear in Sword and Shield.

HM100

HM100 the Techno
Years
  • Age 23
  • Seen Mar 24, 2024
Take as much time as you need; things are better without cut corners.

Also, although I plan on using Essentials in the distant future, and I'm sure there are plenty of people who'll want Gen VIII in it, I'd honestly be equally happy if it contained up to Gen VII; if it included Gen 8, it'd be more up-to-date, but I'd have to learn an entirely new meta, and I'm not sure how you and the other devs would apply moves introduced in Gen 8 to Pokémon that don't appear in Sword and Shield.
I'm in it too but I'm worried because the icons appear to be bigger compared to past gens such as Larger Pokémon.

IceGod64

In the Lost & Found bin!
Years
I'm just gonna slip in here, after my long absence.
I'm glad to see this is still being developed, and this time, it really looks like you're doing a crazy undertaking Maruno. Mad props for that, the battle system in Essentials really was one mell of a hess.
I look forward to eventually seeing this build. As much as I've moved to other things (I don't even have RMXP installed these days), I'd be down to try the new version out once it's available, whenever that may be!

pokefan41

RMXP Game Developer
Years
  • Seen Oct 20, 2023
I'm glad to see this is still being worked on. I was away from this for a long time not all in part due to lack of motivation, but I'm glad to see we are getting updates.

Years
  • Age 28
  • Seen Dec 24, 2019
Eh hello!

I was wondering if you are planning to add an "in-battle sprite animation" function for trainers like the 5th Gen, like BW2 specifically for the 18v of essentials.
That will be amazing! But i suppose for limitations probably you can do this function just how are in the 4th Gen (1-2 frames animation).

A MAN CAN DREAM!

Maruno

Lead Dev of Pokémon Essentials
Years
I've already added a place in the code where you can give Pokémon battle intro animations. I haven't looked at doing the same for trainers yet, but it's something I'd like to have.

Years
  • Age 118
  • Seen Aug 11, 2022
I think if you can make a script to change the sprite of the pokemon that sleeps in battle.

FoundNlost

Shadow Master
Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Aug 10, 2022
So, you think that we could get a rough estimated completion time of, say, X weeks/months? Or, barring that, what would you say is the completion rate you have for v18 as of right now (if you had to put a number on it, like 25-30%? Maybe 40% Or am I low-balling it?)

HM100

HM100 the Techno
Years
  • Age 23
  • Seen Mar 24, 2024
Great work but imagine people wanted to upgrade their game to the latest version but they cannot becuase of breaking changes, how players should be able to deal with this problem? Otherwise no other issues

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back