• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Critical Captures! (also applies for B/W 1)

Years
  • Have you ever had a critical capture (the one where the pokeball makes a really fast sound and shakes in the air and rocks one time and click)? Were you like "WTF" the first time? Tell about it here! As for the second part, for me, yes. I was so confused, sort of like the time I ran into N's Ferroseed in Chargestone Cave.
    (I have a post about N's Pokemon too)

Years
  • In White I've had multiple critical captures, the first time I think was on like a Roggenrola or something relatively useless. I got very confused and upset that I thought I as skipping short bursts of time until I googled it. Hah that was a funny 3 hours in retrospect.

Years
    • Seen May 15, 2023
    This really qualifies for all games involved with Critical captures and since this is about personal experience, its been moved to Gaming Central.

SnowpointQuincy

Seeker of FRIEND CODES
    Years
  • One NPC said critical captures are more common as you collect more pokemon. I hope this is true, but I've never heard such data from Serebii or Bulbapedia yet.

LividZephyr

Oxymoron, not a moron, thanks
    Years
  • Yep, this has happened to me a lot. Not sure what Pokemon they were off the top of my head, but it happened. I was like, "Wow, that was quick!" the first time. Not sure how it works exactly... but Quincy makes an intriguing point of discussion. Does filling up your Pokedex now give you something more than pride?

JayTheKing

~~King Of Valla~~
    Years
  • That was called a critical capture?0.0 I just thought i didnt notice the ball animation.(I mostly play at night so i thought i was between awake and asleep XD)I think i had 1 or 2.

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
    Years
  • There are too many critical captures that happened to me in B/W to keep count of. And whenever they happened, I usually expect them to fully work, but I get frustrated when they don't.

SnowpointQuincy

Seeker of FRIEND CODES
    Years
  • From Serebii:
    Critical Capture = floor((255,CatchValue) * Multiplier)
    Pokémon Caught ......Figure
    .............600+ ...........2.5
    .............450-599 ......2
    .............300-449 ......1.5
    .............150-299 ......1
    .............30-149 ........0.5
    .............0-29 ............ 0

So, that NPC was correct. Catching 600+ pokemon almost triples your chance of a Critical Capture.

Years
  • Yes , I had one recently in my White 2 game, however, I don't quite remember what pokemon it was. I was surprised to see it happen though. :)

The Grubby Pup

Where's mah shiny squeaky ball
    Years
  • LOL
    I had plenty of these in the past. Some were broken out of, some were capture. Da first time I seen one, I knew something was different about it, for one thing, when the pokeball was tossed, it sounded like a missile. LOL

And next when the pokemon got sucked in the pokeball it, the ball shook really hard, before falling onto the ground, next one shake and..."click"

What I didn't know was, that the more pokemon you catch the more often it happens. That's a cool bit of tidbit there. :)

Back