• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Pokémon nicknames

Years
  • Age 20
  • Seen Apr 24, 2017
Hi everyone, I'm wondering -- what do you name your Pokémon?

This is what I've named my ORAS team:

Sceptile - Silvanus (Named after the Roman god who is the deity of woods and fields. It is Latin for 'of the woods' which is fitting because wild Sceptiles live in the woods.)
Charizard - Kasai (Japanese for 'fire'. One of my less creative names.)
Altaria - Q-Tip (Don't ask.)
Kyogre - Kyogre (I tend not to name legendary and mythical Pokémon, because they're special. I especially didn't name Kyogre, because it would ruin his legend.)
Gardevoir - Saphira (A variation of "sapphire". My Gardevoir is shiny, so her hair is blue. It's quite fitting.)
Braviary - Apollo (In Animal Crossing, there's an eagle called Apollo. Enough said.)

They aren't the most creative names in the world, but they're pretty fun still. What do you think of them?

I can't wait to see your names too! :)

~SmtSR

Years
I like your nicknames :)

I tend to nickname my Pokemon things which relate to them but aren't completely obvious if you get what I mean. For example, I named a Slowbro mercury (a type of poison) for the poison that Shellder's puts in it and stuff like that.

Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Apr 24, 2024
I tend to vary between not naming them, naming them after pop-culture characters, and going full Bulbapedia nerd and using part or all of their Japanese names. Some times I do a run with my favourite Pokémon Adventures character's team and I'll name them all appropriately then.

For example the two games i've played this year are LeafGreen (no nicknames) and Emerald. All my pokémon in Emerald use part of their Japanese names e.g. Saku (Salamence), Amo (Blaziken) and Karo (Milotic). Yeah that's right, I actually caught a Milotic *drops mic* *thunderous applause*

But I happened to walk past a poster for Finding Dory one day, and now my Pelipper is named Nigel, after the pelican in Finding Nemo.

Years
  • Age 20
  • Seen Apr 24, 2017
But I happened to walk past a poster for Finding Dory one day, and now my Pelipper is named Nigel, after the pelican in Finding Nemo.

You just inspired me to catch a Sharpedo and name it Bruce. :P

Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Apr 24, 2024
You just inspired me to catch a Sharpedo and name it Bruce. :P

Great shout. I thought about calling my Horsea Sheldon but it instantly reminded me of The Big Bang Theory so never happening.

Also, just decided my first name for my next HeartGold or Platinum team - Groot. No prizes for guessing his species.

Guest123_x1

I tend to nickname certain Pokémon in such a way as to reference pop culture. Among those nicknames are:
  • Bellsprout: Ma Bell (As in the US telephone monopoly that was broken up in 1984.)
  • Ponyta/Rapidash: Mr. Ed (As in the talking horse that starred in his eponymous sitcom in the 1960s.)
  • Popplio: Salty (When the Sun/Moon water starter was first revealed, it struck me as somewhat resembling Salty the Seal from Disney's classic Mickey Mouse theatrical shorts.)
  • Pikipek: Woody (As in Woody Woodpecker.)

Judge Mandolore Shepard

Spectre Agent
Years
When it comes to nicknames I have used, here are the nicknames I have used for the leaders of each of my Pokemon teams:

Delta the Blastoise (Leader of my Star Wars Republic Commando Squads team in Blue)(reference: Delta Squad from Star Wars Republic Commando)
Galvatron the Feraligatr (Leader of my Decepticons team in Soul Silver)(reference: G1 Galvatron from Transformers)
Revan the Swampert (Leader of my Star Wars Sith Lords team in Sapphire)(reference: Revan from Star Wars Knights of the Old Republic)
Napoleon the Empoleon (Leader of my World Leaders team in Platinum)(reference: Napoleon Bonaparte)
Durendal the Samurott (Leader of my Legendary Weapons team in White)(reference: Durendal from the Song of Roland)
John Rambo the Samurott (Leader of my Anti-Heroes team in White 2)(reference: John Rambo from the Rambo movies)
Enterprise the Greninja (Leader of my World War II Ships team in X)(reference: American aircraft carrier Enterprise CV-6)
Luke the Swampert (Leader of my Star Wars Jedi team in Alpha Sapphire)(reference: Luke Skywalker)
Garland the Blastoise (Leader of my Final Fantasy Villains team in Blue [eShop version])(reference: Garland from Final Fantasy I)
Zebes the Primarina (Leader of my Metroid Series Planets team in Moon)(reference: the planet Zebes from the Metroid series)

Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Apr 24, 2024
I've gone all-out on the nicknames for my Curse Munchlax I just hatched on my new Platinum save. Was going to name him "Katow-Jo" after the bear in Anchorman, but then decided I'd save that for an Ursaring.

A couple of minutes of soul-searching later and I hit upon it: "Huell". Fat guy, sleeps a lot, packs a punch...there is literally no better character to name a Munchlax / Snorlax after.

Wobb

Wynaut
Years
When I nickname my Pokemon, I just take the first part of the Pokemon's name and at a y to it.
Catty the Caterpie
Wurmy: Wurmple
Shuppy: Shuppet

HeroLinik

To this day, he still can't beat Air Man...
Years
I don't really nickname that much, but I only really nickname my competitive Pokemon. Here are all the nicknames that I've given so far in Moon, and I tend to go for puns or something else funny:

Gumshoos: Donald Trump
Oranguru: Harambe
Bruxish: Brexit
Froslass: Let it Ghost
Lunala: GetInTheBag!
Solgaleo: I'm Your SUN
Talonflame: Bravest Bird
Garchomp: Sharknado
Rotom-W: WashingtomDC
Scizor: RockPaper
Celesteela: ImARocketMan
Toxapex: Fuhrerbunker
Mimikyu: JOHN CENA!
Alolan Ninetales: Minus 9tales
Tapu Koko: Top Kek
Chansey: Stayin Alive

Last edited:

Flowerchild

fleeting assembly
Years
I don't really nickname that much, but I only really nickname my competitive Pokemon. Here are all the nicknames that I've given so far in Moon, and I tend to go for puns or something else funny:

Gumshoos: Donald Trump
Oranguru: Harambe
Bruxish: Brexit
Froslass: Let it Ghost
Lunala: GetInTheBag!
Solgaleo: I'm Your SUN
Talonflame: Bravest Bird
Garchomp: Sharknado
Rotom-W: WashingtomDC
Scizor: RockPaper
Celesteela: ImARocketMan
Toxapex: Fuhrerbunker
Mimikyu: JOHN CENA!
Alolan Ninetales: Minus 9tales
Tapu Koko: Top Kek
Chansey: Stayin Alive
admittedly i think my tapu koko was also top kek.
"bruxish: brexit" rofl

Snowdrop

Back and ready to babble!
Years
I'm a nickname fanatic in Pokemon. I won't use a Pokemon in most situations if it doesn't have a name (makes trading tricky).

I love giving nicknamed Pokemon away via WonderTrade, and I've sent A LOT of them... if you've gotten one with a weird name over WonderTrade and the OT was "Snowene" or "Snowdrop" it was mine! :D

My Gen 7 team names are: Glitter the Primarina, Boa the Bruxish, Gossamer the Wigglytuff, Chiffon the Salazzle, Taupe the Piloswine, and Starlight the Ledian. It's an all-female team!

porygoing

Kreeeeeh
Years
When I give names, I name after other pokemons.
Alakazam:FoodKiller(LG/SS/E/Pt)
Magnton:(Censored Name)(LG)
Venusaur:Pikachu(LG)
Porygon2:Rubberduck(LG)
Gyarados:Magikarp(Pt)
Porygon-Z: ERROR(Pt)
Rotom: Machine(Pt)
Staraptor:Pidgey(Pt)
Sigilyph:Sigilypuff(W2)
Oshawatt: Shellder(W,Later I changed the name)/Magikarp(W2)
Watchog:HM Slave
Tranquil:HM Slave2
----
Pokemon White Hall of fame
Rotom-Wash(Samurott), Rotom-Heat(Chandelure), Rotom-Fan(Sigilyph)
(Others don't have special name)

Years
On HGSS: I named my Cyndaquil, "Fireman"
On Pokemon X: I named the female Pikachu I caught, "Mistychu" (I was "Crazy" at the time...) and my Froakie, "Kermit". (Because, why not?)

Last edited:

AetherBoyMicha

Aether Employee
Years
  • Age 25
  • Seen Apr 9, 2024
Nicknaming Pokemon is one of my favourite things to do :D ... Although sometimes I'm sat there for 10 minutes deciding between two or three nicknames...

Anyway my Ultra Moon team is this:

Aquamarina the Primarina (Aquamarine spliced with Primarina :P)
Lucifer the Giratina (... I don't think I need to explain this)
Shahar the Espeon (Shahar was a Canaanite god of dawn)
Shalim the Umbreon (Shalim was Shahar's twin and the god of dusk)
Citrus the Magearna (Okay this is a bit weirder but in one of my original stories someone has an android called Citrus)
Beelzel the Naganadel (It looks like a bug. Beelzel sounds more cute than Beelzebub though. Unless I rename it to Beelzebubby lol)

Yeah... Mythology influences a lot of my nicknames. Though I have boring names too like a Staraptor called Star.

Back