• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

5th Gen Gift Pokemon!

Sirfetch’d

As with all Pokemon games Black and White offered a variety of rare and valuable Pokemon as gifts throughout the game. Some of these were easier to obtain and one was slightly harder requiring an event. Here is a list of the gift Pokemon:

The Elemental Monkeys
    The first Pokemon that you could obtain as a gift were the 3 monkeys. They are all given to you at level 10 at the Dreamyard to help with the first gym.
    511.png
    Pansage was your gift if you chose Tepig.
    513.png
    Pansear was you gift if you chose Oshawott.
    515.png
    Panpour was your gift if you chose Snivy.

Zoura
    Zoura is the hardest gift Pokemon to obtain because if you missed the event you missed out on this Zorua. To obtain Zoura you must have transferred your Celebi to your Black or White version and take it to a building in Castelia where Celebi will emerge from its Pokeball and the lost girl will no longer be an illusion but Zoura instead. It will join you on your journey.

zorua.png
    It is also given to you at level 10.

The New Fossil Pokemon
    These are the new fossil Pokemon for Black and White. In Relic Castle you can chose between 2 fossils. The Relic and Plume Fossils. Once revived these Pokemon will be at level 25.
    564.png
    Tirtouga if you chose the Cover Fossil.

566.png
    Archen if you chose the Plume Fossil.

Larvesta
    This gift is given to you as an egg from a guy in a house on Route 18. It is a...

636.png
    Larvesta! Which evolves into the majestic Volcarona!

Magikarp
    While not so much a gift as the others it is still considered a gift Pokemon. On the Marvelous Bridge a guy ,similar to the guy in Kanto, will sell you a Magikarp for 500 pokedollars.

129.png
    It is the only way to obtain a Magikarp in Unova. It is at level 5.

Old Fossil Pokemon
    After getting the National Dex in Twist Mountain a guy will give you one fossil a day. Revive it and the Pokemon will be at level 25. They are:

138.png
    Omanyte from the Helix Fossil.

140.png
    Kabuto from the Dome Fossil.

142.png
    Aerodactyl from Old Amber.

345.png
    Lileep from the Root Fossil.

347.png
    Anorith from the Claw Fossil.

408.png
    Cranidos from the Skull Fossil.

410.png
    Shieldon from the Armor Fossil.

So what did you think of these gift Pokemon? Were they useful? Did you like them? Do you wish there were maybe more? Please discuss...

Years
  • I liked a lot of the gift pokemon! I only really used the monkeys to help me defeat the first gym, but both fossil pokemon were pretty awesome - especially archeops. I though they were pretty useful, especially the monkeys since the first gym was difficult without them! (and it was hard to train up due to the lack of audino at that point). I do wish there were more gift pokemon, however, especially recieved in the form of an egg. I always found eggs to be a whole lot of fun, the surprise aspect of it was awesome!

Years
  • I loved the nice selection of gift Pokemon, especially the monkeys and the fossils. Pansage, Pansear and Panpour are really helpful against the first gym, whose type always counters your starter. It's also hard to train up until then since shaking grass only appears after you get the first badge, and it was kinda nice they gave you the monkey so that you don't always find yourself at a disadvantage.

The fossil Pokemon were good too, I loved how awesome Archeops was. It managed to decimate a lot of foes thanks to Rock Slide and itemless Acrobatics, which is in mine's current moveset. The Kanto, Hoenn and Sinnoh fossils also made great additions. I was a little disappointed with the lack of eggs received from NPCs in this game, I found training that Larvesta very difficult.

Years
  • I always enjoy getting Gift Pokemon throughout any of the games, even if I never really use them that much. The Pansear that I got broke that mold, though, as it was one of the key members of my party right up until the Elite Four, where it ended up being my 7th Pokemon and the odd one out.

I also liked that we were able to get fossils everyday at Twist Mountain. I tried getting all of them, but got fed up after receiving 3 Root Fossils in a row, even if it was a nice gesture.

Years
    • Seen Jul 16, 2014
    My Simisage was really a help to me though i only got it after my Gym battle.I got the others Zoura but i really didn't use them as much.

Years
    • Seen Oct 2, 2020
    The elemental monkey is handy for its specific purpose - it's SE against the first gym. But since you can catch all three of them in the wild not long after that, it loses a bit of its cachet.

I knew that you could go through some rigamarole and theoretically get a Zorua in BW, but also knew that I didn't have the prerequisites anyway, so didn't think about it. I got the one in B2 (of course) and honestly wasn't all that impressed.

I got a Tirtouga in White and Carracosta actually did quite well on my championship team, and saved us all when it tanked Ghetsis' Hydreigon. I got an Archen in Black and only used it long enough to figure out that I really hate Defeatist.

Larvesta didn't make it onto my team in White or Black (neither has Volcarona in post-game White or Black 2), so I can't really say. I like it well enough, I guess - it's just that it didn't grab my attention immediately and I haven't gotten around to raising and training one, what with all the other things I'm juggling.

I liked the Magikarp, just because buying a Magikarp for 500 pokeyen is a callback to past games, except that this time it's actually a good deal. I haven't bothered to evolve it yet though.

I really like having all the fossils available, although the only one I've gotten so far was a Shieldon in White, which doesn't do that much for me (I already gave one a shot in DPPt). I'm currently juggling so many different things in White (at the moment, EV training a Swinub I bred Icicle Crash onto) that I just haven't made it back to Twist Mountain to get more fossils. Sooner or later though, I'll at least stay with it long enough to get an Aerodactyl and an Anorith. And I'm curious to see what sort of improvements they made to the movepools of the rest, and to see how they all do with the physical/special split. I haven't used any of them (other than Cranidos, obviously) since the third gen.

All in all, a pretty good selection.

Back