• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

When you hack, what do you do first?

Bela

Banned
Years
This would be the first thing I've done:

Spoiler:

While my first sketches of my region were a lot less complex, it was essentially the same step. I planned out the region map first, then each individual town. From there I determined what each town would be like, what would happen where, and from there I crafted the story.

The original (simplistic) region map I drew a long time ago I've lost, but this one that I've redrawn from memory serves as its replacement. Here's another I created on Paint some time ago. (Bonus: The beta names for my towns/locations are also shown!)

Spoiler:

After all of this, I started mapping. I didn't start with the first town, first route, etc. I just mapped whatever I wanted to do first, which for me was actually one of the last places the player visits in the game. In this fashion I created all of the maps, put everything together, and thus had Centiq set up.

Binary

え?
Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Apr 7, 2014
I think of a good story and title. Then off I go making scripts and maps. That's basically the first things I do when I hack.

Years
  • Age 32
  • UK
  • Seen Oct 17, 2023
Story first, if you don't have a story then there isn't much point starting a hack because you have no direction.

Then a rough map, planning out some characters and events.

Then mapping and Scripting happen simultaneously.

I've already responded in this thread, FML XD

Last edited:

Bela

Banned
Years
The think story writing and creating a world map almost go hand in hand. To create a story you need a setting and to give significance to a setting it must have a story!

Years
  • Seen Oct 24, 2013
Storyline. A MUST
After its like
City 1 Map ended, script started
Route 1 Map ended, ...

Then I'll just do stuff when they become obvious.

And I have this text document to help me with the flags. In XSE we have used flags. but I edited it and now I use my own flags there and what there are used for.

I don't know about you guys; but I tend to open my ROM first.
Well first I download my ROM... xD

Last edited:

Hohoo

SOMG!1
Years
I'm working on two projects, Pineapple and an unnamed one. I always start with maps.

For Píneapple I design the region as I map.

For the other one, I took a map of Johto from vgmaps.com, cut it in pieces, rearranged them until it started to look nice and then sticked with it. Then I paste my own maps over it. It's a quite fun way to design the region.

sab

Now too much of a life.
Years
I don't know about you guys; but I tend to open my ROM first.
To open a rom you first have to download it.

The first thing I Edit in my rom is the tiles, then the maps, the scripts, the tile screen, the intro, the worldmap, and finally the sprites.

Logan

[img]http://pldh.net/media/pokecons_action/403.gif
Years
The title states:

[jq]When you have, what do you do first?[/jq]

This gives me a sense of security that I've already downloaded the ROM. The title talks about hacking, nothing about internet contigents.

masterlink

bring it on!
Years
  • Age 28
  • Seen Apr 14, 2014
i have not really thought about it maybe sometimes i mess arround with the script, make them say different things. then when it comes to mapping i just shut down and my hack is over, i gotta get out more

Years
The storyline always comes first.
Then i take care of the small things such as planning gym leaders, starters etc.
I then draw out a rough region map before mapping the first 3 or so towns and routes, then get into the scripting...
And i've yet to submit anything to progressing hacks as i don't feel my hacks quite ready yet.

...Without the region map i always end up with really boring maps. (too many forests etc.)

humanguy2000

NSMBW hacker
Years
For Brown and Prism I made an outline of the regions on paper, and figured out where everything would go. After that, I started making maps. The region map should always come before the town/route maps.

Thats exactly how I do it! :) I draw A region map and I draw in the towns and routes. But I also do the story at the same time, then the version logo and then the actual hacking.

Ninja Caterpie

AAAAAAAAAAAAA
Years
Before anything, I'll make my region first, then draw a pixel map. Once I've done that, I'll "attempt" to hand-draw a map with landscape included (and usually fail).

Once basic concept is done, I'll open the ROM, like our dear idiotically literal mod said.

Then I'll get the tiles that I'll use and I'll insert them all so that they're good and get down to mapping.

Once I feel like I've done enough, I start a bit of scripting, then go back to mapping. Once I've done too much, I'll finish scripting and start mapping again.

I make the storyline in between when I'm not on the computer. ^^

simdu68

asleep all summer zzZZ
Years
well.....
so me first I do the graphic of the game, I start with creating my own new tileset and then I remplace every tile of the original game that not one tile should stay the same, after that I do the worldmap just approximately(coz later I maybe need to add new places...)
when I have done the worldmap I startd maping the main town/cities/villages and routes and in the same time I imagine a story line, anyway the story line can adapt to nearly any worldmap so the story line I'm thinking about it while I'm mapping, and when I approximately know the story line or at least the beginning I can start scripting the intro and the first events so that I also may release alphas/betas/demos and so, not that I map till the end and only then start scripting, this would be too long for you to wait for the alpha/beta/demo^^
well, then I in the same time continue mapping and scripting, and when I know the story line I can also map spiecial places like caves, underwater places, and other places.......
thats how I do :D

I-Like-Shiny-Pichu

ClariS <3
Years
I map cos it is what I am best at. Now I have read back a bit I realise the first thing I do is come up with a storyline, this usually just pops into my head when I am about to go to sleep

PureGoober

Minecrafter
Years
  • Age 28
  • Seen Jul 9, 2014
I do the easy stuff.
Trades, Starters, wild pokemon.
Then I Edit the trainers.
Then I will adjust the maps.
Idk how toy script yet so my hack won't be that good.

Sorry to be off-topic: If your a good scripter, and would like to help me, PM me. Thank you.

Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Jun 6, 2011
How do you insert sprites you made yourself? I'm still trying to figure that out.

Fire Blazer

Gomu Gomu no...
Years
  • Seen Oct 3, 2011
I try and plan out the basics first because without a base it's hard to figure out other things.

Like the world map comes before more detailed maps. I think it's important to know at least half the storyline of a game beforehand because a good story connects itself together (the different parts are relevant to each other and tied together). For Pokemon, if one just created new cities for the new gym leaders as they go, well, I don't think it'd end up as well.

Back