• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

When you hack, what do you do first?

Awesome

has divided by zero.
Years
  • I start out with an idea, then I'll create a more in-depth storyline for it, which includes Gym Leaders, Elite 4, evil team, rival battles, etc. After, I'll start spriting, then inserting those into the ROM, and edit anything else (like Fakemon stats, etc.). Then I'd develop a rough region map, then add more detail when I actually map everything (which includes inserting new tiles). Then I'll script. Last but not least, I'd do other menial stuff like title screen, copyright info, random trainers, etc.

And after every step (and during each step), I continuously back-up my ROM (on the computer and usually also on a USB/Flash drive) so my hard work isn't lost. =P

Years
  • My order:
    1. Story.
    2. Insert tiles.
    3. Insert Ow's.
    4. Map untill each gym then script... and so on.
    5. Finishing/ fixing bugs.
    6. Release beta.

Spiky-Eared Pichu

NDS Hacker/Researcher
    Years
    • Seen Oct 2, 2019
    The first things I change are graphics and maps. But I have also changed music sometimes.

mikocoon

error? who cares?
    Years
  • if me i will make main characters sprite and decide what pokemon should i put on that game.because im not good at scripting,i leave it to last

Years
    • Age 29
    • Seen Dec 28, 2012
    Of course, Mapping is always the first with me followed with a little bit polishing with some graphics then script. :]

Epicness

Hacker Newbia
    Years
    • Seen Dec 19, 2010
    Well, I do what Wichu does, but...I'm still working on scripting. I can't hack the TS without glitching it some way, and I suck at Tile inserting (I get it in, but I recolor it all wrong >.>)

Alice

(>^.(>0.0)>
    Years
  • This.

And I write what I want and how to script on paper, too. At the same time, I start thinking of a storyline.

Chad -
    I disagree. Every time I try to plan something out in advance, it always ends up bad. The more I improvise, the better it turns out. Period. It's that way every time.

hitsu.

♪`ichirin no hana`♫
    Years
  • I think of a basic storyline.

I load my ROM.

Then I improvise along the way. I often change my mind, so I don't plan in the long run.

Years
    • Seen Dec 9, 2023
    1. Make tiles. LOTS OF TILES. That way when I insert some, I won't have to make more for a long time.
    2. Insert some of the tiles for the required area. Usually I backup my rom, and then insert all the tiles on the backup. Because everytime you insert more tiles into a tileset, it repoints to precious free space (which is lacking in Pokemon Emerald). So once I'm 100% I've inserted all the tiles I need on the backup, then I just export the palettes and tiles, and then import them, but this time on the original rom. And then voila! All the necessary tiles are inserted, but a lot less free space has been used.
    3. Map. Yay...
    4. Script. Then play.

Usually I do step 2 & 3 at the same time. Because I'm hacking Emerald, I do it in a way to save as much space as possible. For instance, in my current hack, here's what Pewter City looks like:
    route2pewter.png

If I insert the rest of the tiles, and decide to move on with the hack using that rom, it would just waste more and more space every time I add a new tile in the tileset (If you turn off automatic repointing in AdvanceMap, it requires you to waste at least 4000 bytes everytime you import a tileset that's bigger than the previous one). That screenshot is on a backup rom, on the real rom, none of the tiles have been inserted yet, and that's how I save space. Once all the tiles have been inserted on the backup, insert them on the original, and voila, by doing that you only waste about 4000 bytes of space instead of 99999999 bytes of space.

Years
    • Seen Feb 4, 2012
    I'd start with YAPE before anything, its kinda hard to import sprites if you dont know what sprite you're importing

Back