• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[NU] EXPERIMENTAL COLLEGE BOY

luke

Master of the Elements
Years
X0h2G.png

584.gif

Berry Twist (Vanilluxe) @ Life Orb
Trait: Ice Body
EVs: 252 SAtk / 252 Spd / 4 SDef
Modest Nature
- Ice Beam
- Hidden Power [Fighting]
- Signal Beam
- Automotize

Hits pretty well and has good coverage. Doesn't usually live very long and I stick with Ice Beam 99% of the time. People underestimate how powerful it really is.

539.gif

Dojo (Sawk) @ Choice Band
Trait: Sturdy
EVs: 252 Atk / 252 Spd / 4 HP
Jolly Nature
- Close Combat
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge
- Ice Punch

Self explanatory. Thinking of switching to Scarf for a faster revenge killer but I'm afraid I would miss out on the strength. Suggestions for that and possibly a different move in the fourth slot?

565.gif

Juan Carlos (Carracosta) @ Leftovers
Trait: Sturdy
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SDef
Adamant Nature
- Waterfall
- Stone Edge
- Aqua Jet
- Stealth Rock

Probably my favorite non-pink shiny in the game and tied with Omastar for my favorite fossil. Takes physical attacks like a tank and gets the ever useful Stealth Rock on the field. Also provides priority for picking off weaklings.

573.gif

Fluffy (Cinccino) @ Life Orb
Trait: Skill Link
EVs: 4 SDef / 252 Spd / 252 Atk
Jolly Nature
- Tail Slap
- Bullet Seed
- Wake-Up Slap
- Rock Blast

Wanted to try it out due to the hype and it has yet to disappoint me. Sometimes I wish it could take hits better but that would be like expecting D_A to be humble. Wake-Up Slap is kind of disappointing without the Technician boost so maybe something different in that slot? Not much else looks promising though and it helps on stupid Bastiodon.

324.gif

Vesuvia (Torkoal) @ Leftovers
Trait: White Smoke
EVs: 252 Def / 252 HP / 4 SAtk
Bold Nature
- Lava Plume
- Rapid Spin
- Toxic
- Earth Power

Don't really like using SR-weak spinners but the pickings are slim for Spinners in NU that aren't Water-type. Takes physical attacks like a champ and spreads Toxic like a mofo. Thinking of replacing Earth Power with another support move (Yawn?) because even when super effective it does squiddly doo.

103.gif

Amazoness (Exeggutor) @ Salac Berry
Trait: Harvest
EVs: 252 Spd / 252 SAtk / 4 Def
Timid Nature
- Giga Drain
- Psychic
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Substitute

My favorite set currently that is really fun to use. Giga Drain provides a healing and Psychic hits everything hard that doesn't resist it. If I play it correctly I can sub down to crazy Salac Boosts and sweep.​

Last edited:

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
Years
If you don't mind my asking, why the 0 Speed IV on Cinccino? Clearly, Speed is Cinccino's strongest point and that's a waste.

luke

Master of the Elements
Years
If you don't mind my asking, why the 0 Speed IV on Cinccino? Clearly, Speed is Cinccino's strongest point and that's a waste.

I used to have a Trick Room Lampent in that slot and I must of never changed the Speed IV. I only noticed when I posted this RMT.

Cam Meekins

Banned
Years
Ever considered fire blast on torkoal or perhaps shell smash on carracosta? The extra boosting power is amazing to break through teams. Have Fun!

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
Years
hey am wondering why dont u use fireblast ?

Torkoal is more of a support Pokemon rather than an attacker. Fire Blast is more tailored towards offensive sets while Lava Plume is better on support sets. Its low PP can be stalled out as well.

Years
Wow, I haven't rated NU teams before but maybe I can suggest some complete sets for your team?

Try this set on Vanilluxe:

Modest nature
Life Orb / Leftovers
Ice Body
EVs: 32 HP, 252 Sp. Atk, 224 Speed
- Ice Beam
- Autotomize
- Substitute
- Hidden Power Fighting / Grass

This is one of Vanilluxe's best sets in the NU metagame. Autotomize is there to give it a Speed boost while lowering its weight, Ice Beam for the main STAB move that basically hits hard on anything that doesn't resist Ice. Substitute for a support-based twist which can absorb hits for Vanilluxe while you set up with Autotomize. Hidden Power Fighting gives it type coverage against Normal, Dark, Steel and Rock-types. The Life Orb helps give a power boost to Hidden Power and Ice Beam and with a Modest nature and 252 Sp. Atk EVs, that hits hard. Leftovers can be considered if you need to heal a bit.

For Cinccino, try one of these three sets:

Jolly nature
Life Orb
Skill Link
EVs: 4 HP, 252 Attack, 252 Speed
- Tail Slap
- Bullet Seed
- Rock Blast
- U-turn / Wake-Up Slap

or this...

Jolly nature
Choice Band
Skill Link
- Tail Slap
- Bullet Seed
- Rock Blast
- U-turn / Wake-Up Slap

or even this...

Adamant nature
Choice Scarf
Skill Link
- Tail Slap
- Bullet Seed
- Rock Blast
- U-turn / Wake-Up Slap

Now, for Carracosta try one of these three sets:

Adamant / Jolly nature
Life Orb / White Herb
Solid Rock / Sturdy
EVs: 20 HP, 252 Attack, 236 Speed
- Shell Smash
- Waterfall
- Stone Edge
- Aqua Jet / Ice Beam / Earthquake

or this...

Adamant nature
Leftovers
Solid Rock
EVs: 252 HP, 252 Attack, 4 Defense
- Waterfall
- Aqua Jet
- Stone Edge
- Toxic

or maybe this...

Adamant nature
Leftovers
Solid Rock
EVs: 252 HP, 252 Attack, 4 Defense
- Aqua Jet
- Curse
- Waterfall
- Stone Edge

Since you already have Ice attacks on hand, try this set for Sawk instead:

Jolly nature
Choice Band / Choice Scarf
Sturdy
EVs: 252 Attack, 4 Defense, 252 Speed
- Close Combat
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge
- Reversal / Toxic

That should help you out.

Vrai

can you feel my heart?
Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Oct 24, 2022
c/ping sets from smogon analyses doesn't quite cut it as a rate, tbh. especially since a lot of these haven't been updated since BW2 is released and aren't even going to be touched until july 8th... stuff like reversal sawk is long outdated and that moveslot only existed because until BW2, sawk literally had 3 viable moves. ice punch sawk is infinitely better than reversal sawk.

ayo, luke. i'm gonna try to keep this as open-ended as i can, since this looks like a fun team to play with and i'd rather you pick what's your favorite option to use rather than me forcing you to change whatever.

firstly, you can probably consider u-turn on cincy instead of wake up slap, since the latter is weak as hell without technician and you have plenty of options to handle bastiodon / probo that you can u-turn to. hp ice > hp fire on eggy for the most part, you still keep coverage on opposing eggy and can hit altaria much harder. you've got a few problems handling boosted stuff like gorebyss especially if one/both of your sturdy pokemon are broken. it's most easily fixable by throwing in a scarfer somewhere (something faster than sawk because +1 base 85s just barely miss out on gorebyss), although you could be silly and just run something like ludicolo > vanilluxe who otherwise does little for your team aside from providing an SR weak. a boosted SD samurott can also mean quite a lot of trouble, especially the faster variants that outpace eggy (most run max speed these days). your best bets for checks to those kind of things are primarily grass-types like amoonguss, since physically defensive tangela falls to samurott's megahorn after sr. fast grass-types like sawsbuck and serperior are options too, since they will outspeed and OHKO. you could also run a scarfer like IMPOSTER DITTO and revenge everything in the tier, like opposing cinccino which could also pose some big trouble. torkoal is probably the other weak link, since it's never breaking through spinblockers like golurk, misdreavus, and frillish anytime soon. there isn't any other huge weak that i can think of without testing the team on my own, so you can probably just fill that spot with something else fun like dd fraxure since it now has coverage, toxic orb zangoose, or even like prankster liepard. have fun luke and tell me if i can help further n_n

also went through and bolded some random words. does that make this a real rate now??

Years
Alright, this team looks pretty offensive, and I'd suggest a few changes to it. First, if you're going to be running defensive cores (walls) on your team, in this case Torkoal and Abagura, you want those cores to have good synergy with each other and with your whole team. The cores also have to work well with each other. The defensive core you have right now are both weak to ground, a common attacking type, and your whole team bar Exeggutor is either weak or neutral to fighting, making threats like choiced sawk or bulk up Gurdurr really hard to take down. Second, you need to dedicate a pokemon to "lead", and that is very important and can change the flow of the battle. In an offensive team, a lead is usually called an anti lead, like Machamp in OU. But this isn't OU, and there's no machamps. The same rule applies, and you need a good lead in order to have a good team. The lead I am using currently on my NU team is a choice scarf Rotom-S, and it serves as an anti-lead. It has volt switch to gain switch advantage, air slash and hidden power grass for coverage, especially against bulky rock types, and trick to take away the eviolite from lairons and rhydons, just to name a few. You can use the Cinccino to lead, and I've seen lots of people do that. Just remember to replace wake up slap with U-turn though. Lastly, I'd recommand replacing Abagura(Carracosta I dont know why I keep using Japanese names) for a more specially defensive water type, namely Mantine or Frillish. Mantine has a ground immunity and godly special defense, while Frillish can spinblock and grants a fighting immunity.

Other than that, the team looks good

Back