• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

New to battling online, any good advice?

Years
    • Seen Mar 16, 2017
    Hey guys,
    Just started getting back into pokemon and wifi battling so I am a little rusty! Since I haven't played since fourth gen, what is the best way to get acclimated to all these new mons and abilities?? Any tips off the tops of your heads that will give me a head start? Any replies are appreciated!

Much love

Nah

Years
    • Age 31
    • she/her, they/them
    • Seen today
    Hey guys,
    Just started getting back into pokemon and wifi battling so I am a little rusty! Since I haven't played since fourth gen, what is the best way to get acclimated to all these new mons and abilities?? Any tips off the tops of your heads that will give me a head start? Any replies are appreciated!

Much love
    I guess I'm kinda late in posting but oh well

If you're not familiar with EVs and IVs, you'll want to read up on that since that's a basic part of being successful in competitive battling.

Aside from that, looking at the usage statistics is a good idea, to get an idea of what's common so you can prepare for what you're likely to fight a lot:
    https://3ds.pokemon-gl.com/battle/#single
    https://3ds.pokemon-gl.com/battle/#double

I would post Smogon usage stats if I knew where to find them

To get used to the changes since Gen 4, just play the newest games to get a feel for new mechanics and Pokemon. There are some things you just have to play/get experience with to understand really.

Years
  • Apart for everything Nah said, practice a lot. Like a lot. Once you think you've done lots of practice. Practice some more.

Years
  • I'm only a beginner as well, but I can tell you this, try to avoid making your own teams unless you know that they're decent. Every team I've tried to make myself gets 6-0'd. But when I use teams that are recommended or built for me, I'm half decent. Also, you should look at smogon tiers and viability rankings, it might give you a few ideas.

Back