• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Favorite games of the 90's?

Years
  • So everyone, it's fair to say that few years have passed since the 90's and we've entered a new generation of gaming. But the 90's were still big, were gaming franchises became more known and some excellent games were produced. Which ones were your favorite?

Personally, I wasn't really of age to understand gaming in the 90's, turning 3 in 2000, but I have played games that were made int he 90's a good few times. A few titles I can think of that I really enjoyed from games in that time period are: Star Fox 64 , Earthbound, Super Mario All-Stars and of course the Pokemon Red, Blue, Green games!

TY

Red Alert 1 (1997 i believe)... that game was so awesome. First RTS i played and i heard "Silos needed!" all the time since i never made em.

Starcraft 1... Also a RTS game and this one seemed more advanced than Red Alert 1. 3 races operating differently, a really addicting story. Nonetheless the VS AI was crap... i got bombardes by air drops all the time.

Olli

I am still bathing in a summer's afterglow
    Years
  • This is gonna be kinda easy to answer, since I haven't really played any 90's games outside of the Zelda games that I own, and most of the ones I have played have been through the Virtual Console, since I haven't at any point owned a 90's gaming console.

But yeah, as I said, the most notable ones would probably be the Zelda games, as I got the Collector's Edition with my Gamecube, and though I didn't realise they were actual full games at first, since I'd only ever gotten a demo with a console before, and the game of the bundle that first caught my attention was the Wind Waker demo, so I just assumed that the rest would be demos too. Well, a few years later I finally realised that they actually were full games, and by now I've played and finished every single game on the disc :p But yeah, several of them came to be some of my top favourite games ever, so naturally they're also at the top of my favourite 90's games list, and those who're familiar with the bundle would probably be able to guess that they're Ocarina of Time and Majora's Mask. But yeah, outside of those, my experiences with the 90's have been rather short.

One of my friends did have a SNES though, together with Super Mario World though, which I remember playing a lot. One of my brother's friends also had an N64 with Pokemon Stadium, however I only got to play that briefly, and I think it might've been released early in 2000 :p But otherwise, I've played games like Super Mario 64, Super Smash Bros, Kirby's Dream Land and Kirby Super Star, Mario Party 2, and naturally the original Pokemon games, but aside from Pokemon, none of them really come close to matching my love for the Zelda games, probably because they were, once again aside from the Pokemon games, some of the first games I ever owned myself and could play without permission from my brother :p

I guess it might be more than most people my age, but compared to a 90's gamer, it might not be that much :p

nimbo

~*~*~*~*~*~*~
    Years
    • Age 30
    • Seen Jul 16, 2016
    Spyro...definitely Spyro. I used to play that game all day long, and I could never beat it. It was too hard for me.

Chr. Draco

Spatial Rift
    Years
    • Seen Apr 6, 2024
    I have a long list for this, but I'll to summarize it: Zelda series, Megaman X series, star fox (both snes and 64), pokemon, super smash bros, mario series, kirby, mortal kombat, killer instinct, Sonic the hedgehog series, castlevania, spyro the dragon, tekken, dead or alive, final fantasy VIII, gran turismo, I think there are others, but these, i think, were the most i played during the 90's?

Years
    • Seen May 28, 2019
    Anything from the 90s? If you say Donkey Kong 94 is the best game of all time, I would not argue with you. It's by far my favorite game from the 90s.

Or do you mean games I played during the 90s? Since I only played DK94 for the first time last christmas, I guess Crash Bandicoot 2 or Crash Team Racing are my choices here.

Miss Doronjo

Gaiden
    Years
  • Definitely Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time for the N64. It was my favourite game as a kid, growing up. There was also Super Mario World for the Super Nintendo, which I've used to continuously play on the first level, probably because I was so bad at it - but, I eventually managed to beat it at last. :3

Rest

Showstealer Pro: Trial Version
    Years
  • I still have clear memories of playing games from the 90s. I remember playing games like Crash Bandicoot, Tekken 3, Pokemon, Monkey Magic, Jagged Alliance, Ultimate Mortal Kombat 3 and Heroes of Might and Magic III when I was still a wee kid.

A set of games that stands among the rest of the bunch for me though, was Tomb Raider(s) I to IV. I starkly remember playing TR1 for the first time and thinking to myself, the graphics don't get better than this, and then the next few installments got released and I was blown away every single time. The world Lara Croft traverses just expands in itself; city rooftops, sea-sunken ships, lush jungles, forgotten oases, haunted islands were all realized in such a colourful, vivid and memorable way. Playing Tomb Raider in the 90s is probably one of the greatest memories of my childhood.

Kikaito plush

Angeline plushxKikaito plush
    Years
  • 90s huh ?

That would be Sonic the Hegdehog 3 and Knuckles it has added all to the series,
    ( Knuckles climbling and Tails flying) also has awesome tunes lokking at you Lava reef zone and Ice Cap zone.

Sweets Witch

I just love ham jerky.
    Years
  • Donkey Kong 64, although I've never beaten it. Hell, it took me 10 years to beat Ocarina of Time. N64 adventure games have always been my weakest suit, but they're so much fun. DK64 was the first N64 game that I got and I remember playing it as a small child and not understanding anything about it. Every year I play it again, but I can never beat the DK arcade mini-game.

Years
  • Oh wow, how did I forget about DK64? I remember playing that game at breakfast club at school on the N64, an hour of fun every morning for a year! Ahh I understand your pain towards Ocarina of Time, very unpleasant game to try and finish.

Dreg

Done after the GT.
    Years
    • Seen Jul 11, 2016
    I played a huge ton of games in the 90's, and I still play those games now. There are too many to name so I will just name off the ones I have mostly played. Bubble Bobble, The Sonic Franchise, Super Mario All Stars/World, Super Mario Kart, Lost Vikings, etc.

One of the lines I liked back then was: "IT IS THE NINETIES AND THERE IS TIME FOR...... KLAX!"
    Klax was a really great game that I played the hell out of back in the 90's. I only ever completed the game once.

Back