• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Pokemon Expansion

Years
Small update since many people asked me about this earlier. Hidden abilities are added in without the need of rewriting the structs, I dealt with that. Here's info from the updated main post:
hidden abilities are functionally added, however they cannot be normally found on wild or trainer pokemon. In other words, it's up to the user to create ways of encountering them. For a mon to have a hidden ability, simply set MON_DATA_ABILITY_NUM to 2.

If you're curious, I removed isEgg field from battle pokemon(since eggs cannot participate in battles) and changed fatefulEncounter field from 4 bits to 2(by the way, I have not found a single instance of setting this field in the game, tbh I don't even know if this is fatefulEncounter since obedience fills that role in gen3).

bcrobert

Lazy Antagonist
Years
  • Seen Aug 8, 2022
Are the Alolan forms outside the scope of this project? I didn't see them referenced in the data, unless I was looking at the wrong files. Same for Meltan/Melmetal but he's forgettable.

Years
Are the Alolan forms outside the scope of this project? I didn't see them referenced in the data, unless I was looking at the wrong files. Same for Meltan/Melmetal but he's forgettable.

They are for now. Don't really feel like adding all the data for them, but may include them if someone helps with that.

Years
  • Age 25
  • Seen Oct 20, 2023
I might be able to help you with that in the near future (just not right now). I have been giving thought about maybe extending them at my local repo (as seperate entities and not forms).

Edit: Lunos did it much faster and probably better than I could.

Last edited:
Years
I might be able to help you with that in the near future (just not right now). I have been giving thought about maybe extending them at my local repo (as seperate entities and not forms).

Sure, would appreciate it. You can send a pull request with your changes later.

Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Nov 5, 2022
I'm looking through the files, is there any plan to update encounters in every wild area to include more Pokemon?

Last edited:

LucasLyn

Lyn
Years
Hey, I'm new to this whole thing, but you've certainly caught my attention!

Since you list the other things as being great with this hack, how exactly do you use more than one of these on one ROM? Do you just compile and apply the patch for one and then use that patched ROM as the base for the next patching sequences?
I'm new to all this, so I'm really sorry if this is a dumb question.

Lunos

Random Uruguayan User
Years
Hey, I'm new to this whole thing, but you've certainly caught my attention!

Since you list the other things as being great with this hack, how exactly do you use more than one of these on one ROM? Do you just compile and apply the patch for one and then use that patched ROM as the base for the next patching sequences?
I'm new to all this, so I'm really sorry if this is a dumb question.
Patches are not in a thing when it comes to the disassembly and decompilation projects.
To use Egg's branches in one single project, you slowly add them one by one using Git, and from there on, you do the rest of the work like you normally would using the disassembly and decompilation projects, that is, modifying files, visual assets, etc.

If you want to learn how to gather Egg's branches in one single project, you can check out this post that I wrote a while ago.
If you have any questions, don't hesitate to make a new thread in the Decomp & Diassembly Section.
Good luck ^^!

Years
  • Age 42
  • Seen Mar 7, 2022
This is AWESOME, please keep improving this, it could become the best Pokemon game there is.

Years
  • Age 25
  • Seen Oct 20, 2023
I have a small suggestion, it might not fit in the battle engine and shouldn't be hard to implement. Something in the same or similar fashion as the previous shinylizer of hackmew. Where you can force the n next wild encounters or trainer pokemon to be shiny.

Lunos

Random Uruguayan User
Years
I have a small suggestion, it might not fit in the battle engine and shouldn't be hard to implement. Something in the same or similar fashion as the previous shinylizer of hackmew. Where you can force the n next wild encounters or trainer pokemon to be shiny.
Kind of seconding this. I personally don't think that such a feature would fit in any of the 3 main branches that DizzyEgg is currently working on, but I'd definitely like to see a Pokeemerald equivalent of the old Various Em Features someday, a branch following the same idea, which could very well include a Shinyzer like feature in the form of a flag or a var, or whatever really.

Maybe throw in a bag expansion (amount of items in the pockets of the bag), a PC Boxes expansion, Expanded level cap, FRLG styled fishing, etc. A single branch encompassing various features that have no better place to go basically.

Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Dec 27, 2023
Pretty much my only gripe is that it is relatively difficult to install. Would an IPS patch maybe be possible?

Sadly an IPS patch defeats the purpose of the decompilation and isnt a viable option here. If you just want the pokemon expansion an nothing else Im sure there are other projects from binary hacking out there.

Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Nov 12, 2022
Hi ,

Just a question about the hidden abilities of the pokemon.
I'm not an expert at hacking like this yet, only done a bit of binary hacking several years ago.

Is there an easy way to treat the hidden abilities of the pokemon like a third "standard" ability, i.e. pokemon in the wild can just have them?

Thanks in advance!

Years
Years
  • Age 25
  • Seen today
I have a decomp with the Pokemon Expansion, and everything works except for a few seemingly random Pokemon palettes. I threw some random Pokemon into some of the beginning areas, and I noticed that some Pokemon's sprites were really off.

This picture shows both the front and backsprite of Sentret. For whatever reason, Sentret's backsprite is invisible, and his front is...not correct.
sentret.png

This picture shows Shroomish, who isn't looking quite right either.
shroomish.png

I looked into the graphics/pokemon folder and looked over each of these Pokemons' palletes and sprites, and they seemed fine to me. So far, I've only seen Sentret, Shroomish, and Scyther with these messed up palettes. I haven't touched the graphics folder, so I'm not sure why this would be happening.

Years
  • Age 38
  • Seen Apr 13, 2023
Thanks very much for your work on this!

I'm trying to merge this in with my own project, but it looks like due to some larger changes over the past week or so, git isn't able to do a reasonable merge on its own. Sadly, I'm not familiar enough with the code to fix this myself. Any chance you could take a look and sync with master?

Jessler

PidgeyFox
Years
Hi! Love the work you've done on this! Any chance Gen 8 Pokemon will be coming to the branch anytime soon? I can add them myself but I'm a bit lazy :p

Back