• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Difficult Chapters

Vociferocity

[ bad girls do it well ]
Years
  • Do you guys ever find that a particular scene/chapter/arc is harder to write than the rest? Like, you really have to struggle through it? & if so, do you have any strategies for dealing with - or even avoiding - this kind of thing?

for me... sometimes I manage to push through them, but other times I've just deleted that whole section and written it another way, or just skipped it entirely.

Incinermyn

The Abomination Lives!!!
    Years
  • I constantly find critical parts hard to write. But, the hardest part about writing my stories/chapters is determining what parts are really necessary to keep. Usually, I get stuck on important scenes that require a lot of explanation to let the reader fully understand what's going on. Sometimes, I bosh it and overload what should've been a short passage with a bunch of unnecessary narration. By that, I mean that the passages where a lot of quick actions are taking place generally turn into an onslaught of detail. Usually I have to go back through later and cut out a lot of stuff after thinking about what I just wrote.

Nolafus

Aspiring something
    Years
  • I'm a pretty stubborn person, so most of the time I just struggle my way through it. I can't let some words get the best of me!

Chapters generally start getting difficult when I have to make a story changing decision. When I have to finally decide which direction the story is going to take is when I get stuck. I just step away and think about how I'm going to continue. If all else fails, just sit at the keyboard and type every idea that pops into your head, no matter how stupid they are, and just see which one you like best.

Incinermyn

The Abomination Lives!!!
    Years
  • If all else fails, just sit at the keyboard and type every idea that pops into your head, no matter how stupid they are, and just see which one you like best.

That's generally the point where I go back and start revising from the prologue or chapter one to regain my focus. Writing down things at random is actually pretty self-destructive, especially mid or late story. I usually find it better to write out a plot outline for the next chapter or two if I find myself stuck. That way I have something to work from, even if it's not the greatest thing.

Years
    • Age 37
    • Seen today
    The most difficult part of any chapter for me to write through is the "boring stuff." The narration from exciting plot point A to plot point B. When I'm writing the first draft, I just get through it as fast as I can so the story doesn't stew in my mind. Then, once the first draft is done, I go back and fill in anything necessary so the quality in writing does dip.

TurtleKing

Turtles > You
    Years
    • Seen Dec 12, 2016
    I usually struggle with what should be in certain chapters. Certain major events can happen over the entire chapter. But some noticeably small things that effect the plot majorly and need to be added can be a bit difficult to add in terms of length so that it doesn't get too obvious or boring.

Back