• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Pokemon Sun and Moon Ratings

Alexander18

Banned
Years
    • NZ
    • Seen Dec 29, 2017
    The ratings are still high enough for the show to continue. So we still be seeing more SM anime despite less ratings.

Years
    • Seen Aug 29, 2020
    Weedle... the numbers we're pulling are just from the Kanto prefecture in japan... There are seven in total. If we're pulling numbers from the entirety of japan... If we where then we'd see more re-runs and Japanese cartoons like Doreamon in the top 10 maybe with One piece sneaking in there somewhere.

In truth the numbers we're seeing only reflect what those in Kanto are watching. And only a fraction of what we're seeing from japan.

Which suggests Pokémon's doing even WORSE in the ratings than previously indicated.

Also, Super Mario World is a horrible example dude. As it never aired in japan and really in all forms western base. From the Animation studio too the writers Nintendo only gave them permission to use their copyrighted materials.

Japan also doesn't have a bagillion different channels/networks with shows that compete with one another. In the US unless you have a solid following, your gone the next month... seriously its messed up how many promising shows get the boot after a couple of episodes. If the show's successful then the show is extended beyond its shelf life. Japanese shows also don't compete with reality show garbage, that monopolize the ratings.

Actually, on a standard antenna TV here in Georgia, we only have at least fourteen channels, about as much as Japan, maybe slightly more (and that's obviously not counting Cable channels like Cartoon Network). I can't say what it's like for the rest of the country, but I suspect it's similar for every state outside Georgia.

Also, let's not forget that the Mario cartoons take direct inspiration from the Japanese games, NOT the localized versions, which is made pretty obvious from the fact that the Koopalings are given completely different names from their versions in Super Mario Bros. 3, so it actually qualifies there to some extent. And I can easily cite Mega Man Star Force as another example, and that one is definitely Japanese.

Western shows eat each other, leaving the strong to either end on a high note or slowly fade to mediocrity and die. The creators don't really have a say if they're shows get cancelled right? Its all "The executives" and unless the creator is super influential/rich or there's enough of a cult following for the show so they could at least get a movie that ties off the lose ends or if they're lucky another season. Most shows also get cancelled in the middle of their season...

And this is different from Pokémon how exactly? A lot of the time, the writers and even producers, who are the actual creators of the show, have no say whatsoever in what direction the show should go, and it's run by executives at Nintendo. Dogasu even inferred as much when someone complained about the quality of M20.

In Japan the creators have a say to whether the show continues or not. What if the animation studio's already fully booked or their contract ran out for the season? they can just find another studio to make the show for them. Most channels also have tons of slots for different shows, unless its primetime.

You sure about that? Because last I checked, we didn't get that all-star movie for the 20th anniversary, and that was largely because TCPi nixed that, despite it being what the writers planned.

It's up to Nintendo if they wan't to keep the show alive or not... not some TV executive.

Yeah, and when the anime's running out of ratings, it also means loss of revenue for the products. Let's put it another way: If the ad airs late at night and very few people even see the ad, it is a failure because it fails to draw in enough revenue to benefit the business. That was even a point of contention in Smart Guy where Floyd's carpentry business tried to do an ad and it bombed largely because it got screwed over by the network by airing it so late at night virtually no one was able to see it. It's ultimately the same concept here.

Both weekly Famitsu and Corocoro only provide coverage and a review. They won't help to sustain the popularity of the game. Not to mention that kid's don't tend to buy those magazines... as they are geared towards teen/young adults.

Says who? I literally grew UP on Nintendo Power, one of those Hobby Magazines (and definitely something that probably are geared more towards teens/young adults due to it covering even M-rated games at times) reading some magazines and guidebooks for it as early as five years old, and actually registering for it around the time Yoshi's Story came out. In fact, want to know how I even LEARNED of Pokémon the anime (heck, Pokémon in general, even) in the first place? It wasn't even through the show (that actually came later, believe it or not, and my first episode was the Samurai episode when it aired on UPN-69). It was through these Pokémon Power issues that were included in Nintendo Power issues in the leadup to Pokémon Red and Blue's release that included, among other things, adapted comics for the first six episodes ever. And I was 8 years old at the time I got my first subscription for Nintendo Power.

Since both Beyblade and Yugioh both have healthy fanbases who can play the games nowadays. Then the anime should've been canceled a long time ago by your logic. Both shows, just like Pokemon, only slightly adapt the rules of their source material, making the show rather nonsensical and insane most times. The cards are also useless filler (Or too broken to be used in the actual card game to begin with.), and the real powerful cards/archetypes (Or bases and blades in Bayblade) can't be found in the anime, so most Japanese 'gamers?' are getting they're information elsewhere. Really there's no point to both anime nowadays cause they can just find the information out, in most hobby magazines like Corocoro and Famitsu right?

Well, frankly, yes, especially when they have plenty of other ways to market it, so it's not like they are losing much revenue if they cancel the anime. Not to mention, as I pointed out, I learned about Pokémon through Nintendo Power via its Pokémon Power issues, and if I could learn about Pokémon through that, others most certainly can as well, whether it be America or Japan.

Inazuma 11 is also an Anime completely reliant on its source-material. But really mirror Pokemon to the purest extent. Since both are originally video games... Every single iteration of Inazuma 11 from the first game to Go to galaxy They all had an anime tie in... most of them are 100+ episode long. Did you see Inazuma 11 in the ratings? Inazuma 11 is made by level-5 and would certainly find coverage from famitsu and corocoro and yet all the iterations of the show still had an anime tie in...

Quite frankly, from what I could tell, it didn't make the ratings.

Like the Pokemon anime, the shows I mentioned above are suppose to sustain the games/hobbies popularity and serve as an entry point for children who really have no Idea what a Pokemon a Yugioh or a Bayblade or an Inazuma 11 is. Not to mention the show has its own fanbase separate from the games.

Speaking as someone who grew up on such hobby magazines and guidebooks as Nintendo Power, since five years old at the very least, and probably played far more of a role for my getting into Pokémon than even the anime itself (which was certainly a major influence no doubt) I disagree with that notion. And it may have its separate fanbase, but that is completely irrelevant ESPECIALLY if it only serves as marketing for the games in the first place, since after all, if it's only for marketing, there's nothing stopping it from being cancelled due to both low ratings and there being plenty of other sources for marketing the games and merchandise.

In any case, the ratings for the previous week of Pokémon have not been posted (not much of a surprise, since there wasn't a new episode last week thanks to Movie 20 being due for release), so we'll have to wait until next week for any ratings to report there. BTW, speaking of which: Frozocrone, is there any way to check old ratings on videor.co.jp? Just want to know to see if I missed anything.

Last edited:

CidHazard

just a miserable pile of secrets
    Years
  • Which suggests Pokémon's doing even WORSE in the ratings than previously indicated.

We can't really know that for sure, As different Prefectures have, different viewing habits. Also, it's 47 prefecture not 7 I mistyped that one forgot to edit :D

And this is different from Pokémon how exactly? A lot of the time, the writers and even producers, who are the actual creators of the show, have no say whatsoever in what direction the show should go, and it's run by executives at Nintendo. Dogasu even inferred as much when someone complained about the quality of M20.

NIntendo own Pokemon. The creator of the show doesn't always mean the Owner, as most Japanese Studios are contractors. OLM makes the Pokemon Anime but they do not own Pokemon. If Nintendo wants too pull the plug on the animated series OLM has no choice but too oblige.

I should've said IP owner not creator... Most IP owners are the creators in japan. Studios like the Gianax and Trigger's are owned by the artist/directors who make the anime.

US Studio's could be compared too Magazine anthology publishers like Shounen Jump tho. As your work could be axed after a couple of months if you don't rake in the votes for best chapter of the week since they effectively own the IP of your creation. But even so, if you don't want the exposure of Shonen Jump you could always just publish your work yourself. Doujin works that become mainstream hits can sustain itself.

Also I have to make this point now

Buying manga in japan is not like buying comics. If you want the latest issue of Detective Comics you're getting a single batman story. When you buy Weekly Shounen jump tho, your getting all the currently running stories that week. Your not only getting One Piece, your also getting Shokugeki no souma and Gintama and World Trigger etc.

It would be like buying a Book/Magazine named Monthly DC/Marvel, and getting every single comic story that month.

You sure about that? Because last I checked, we didn't get that all-star movie for the 20th anniversary, and that was largely because TCPi nixed that, despite it being what the writers planned.

Yes I'm sure... IF you think about it Japanese animation Studios are on the mercy of the creators/IP holders. Imagine if you the creator of the show asks for two seasons of the anime, and the show explodes into popularity. if the Japanese studio's fully booked, there's no stopping the owner of the IP/creator to just move on to a different studio. The Fate series of Anime, are all made by different animation studios from UFO Table, A1 Pictures, and Deen.

Yeah, and when the anime's running out of ratings, it also means loss of revenue for the products. Let's put it another way: If the ad airs late at night and very few people even see the ad, it is a failure because it fails to draw in enough revenue to benefit the business. That was even a point of contention in Smart Guy where Floyd's carpentry business tried to do an ad and it bombed largely because it got screwed over by the network by airing it so late at night virtually no one was able to see it. It's ultimately the same concept here.

Sorry but Fate/stay night (and a miriad of different series) disagrees with that statement sir... Have you seen Fate/Stay night in the ratings? how about the ever popular Sword Art Online? How about the Monogatary Series?

Your insane if you think that most of these Animation Studios make their revenue off ratings. As most anime don't even air prime time. With most of them being late night shows.

Do you know where these show's make a killing tho... MERCH!!! Holy crap have you seen how freaking expensive the figurines/toys for the shows are... Holy Sh*t dude. HOLY F*CKIN SH*T THEY'RE AROUND $120+ DOLLARS (¥13,355) A PIECE!!! SOME OF THEM ARE $400+ DUDE!!! AND YOU KNOW WHAT!?! THEY SELL OUT!?! SOME OF THEM ARE LIMITED TOO GOD!!!

I JUST WANT MY SABER FIGURE!!!

And there are other things such as towels, pillows, Daikimakuras, DVD's, Expensive as F*ck Blue-rays, video-games and so on...

Says who? I literally grew UP on Nintendo Power, one of those Hobby Magazines (and definitely something that probably are geared more towards teens/young adults due to it covering even M-rated games at times) reading some magazines and guidebooks for it as early as five years old, and actually registering for it around the time Yoshi's Story came out. In fact, want to know how I even LEARNED of Pokémon the anime (heck, Pokémon in general, even) in the first place? It wasn't even through the show (that actually came later, believe it or not, and my first episode was the Samurai episode when it aired on UPN-69). It was through these Pokémon Power issues that were included in Nintendo Power issues in the leadup to Pokémon Red and Blue's release that included, among other things, adapted comics for the first six episodes ever. And I was 8 years old at the time I got my first subscription for Nintendo Power.

Says someone grew up in japan and studied Japanese culture... Kids don't buy Corocoro or Famitsu, they buy Shounen Jump or other anthology manga.

Haha, I forgot that kids bought Nintendo power in the states.

Well, frankly, yes, especially when they have plenty of other ways to market it, so it's not like they are losing much revenue if they cancel the anime. Not to mention, as I pointed out, I learned about Pokémon through Nintendo Power via its Pokémon Power issues, and if I could learn about Pokémon through that, others most certainly can as well, whether it be America or Japan.

Speaking as someone who grew up on such hobby magazines and guidebooks as Nintendo Power, since five years old at the very least, and probably played far more of a role for my getting into Pokémon than even the anime itself (which was certainly a major influence no doubt) I disagree with that notion. And it may have its separate fanbase, but that is completely irrelevant ESPECIALLY if it only serves as marketing for the games in the first place, since after all, if it's only for marketing, there's nothing stopping it from being cancelled due to both low ratings and there being plenty of other sources for marketing the games and merchandise.

There's a cultural difference here Weedle it's so obvious that it pains me that I didn't notice it sooner... Kids in japan buy manga and they watch TV go to the arcade (Yes those are still very popular there)... If you want to have a successful IP that's geared towards kids... whether it be toys or games (yes even phone app games)... you better have a Japanese anime or manga adaption in the works or currently airing to get that thing some exposure.

Kids don't buy magazines about video game news with their allowance, they buy manga with they're favorite stories in them. And since they're buying Anthology manga they're going to be exposed to other stories... maybe one of those stories is based around a toy/game/TCG they could buy. They watch shows with colorful characters and awesome fight scenes...

You grew up with Nintendo Power.

I grew up with Weekly Shounen Jump.

Also, Japanese Kids still don't buy hobby magazines nowadays...

Quite frankly, from what I could tell, it didn't make the ratings.

Case and piont. The next iteration of Inazuma 11 will also get an Anime adaption BTW.

In any case, the ratings for the previous week of Pokémon have not been posted (not much of a surprise, since there wasn't a new episode last week thanks to Movie 20 being due for release), so we'll have to wait until next week for any ratings to report there. BTW, speaking of which: Frozocrone, is there any way to check old ratings on videor.co.jp? Just want to know to see if I missed anything.

How old are we talking about here? If you just want the ratings of show from the past year you could always just find the listings on Anime news network... its just a pain to search for em tho...

Years
    • Seen Aug 29, 2020
    We can't really know that for sure, As different Prefectures have, different viewing habits. Also, it's 47 prefecture not 7 I mistyped that one forgot to edit :D

Technically, each of the states have different viewing habits as well (and there are fifty of them, about three more than Japan), yet ratings still play a pretty big role here.

NIntendo own Pokemon. The creator of the show doesn't always mean the Owner, as most Japanese Studios are contractors. OLM makes the Pokemon Anime but they do not own Pokemon. If Nintendo wants too pull the plug on the animated series OLM has no choice but too oblige.

I should've said IP owner not creator... Most IP owners are the creators in japan. Studios like the Gianax and Trigger's are owned by the artist/directors who make the anime.

US Studio's could be compared too Magazine anthology publishers like Shounen Jump tho. As your work could be axed after a couple of months if you don't rake in the votes for best chapter of the week since they effectively own the IP of your creation. But even so, if you don't want the exposure of Shonen Jump you could always just publish your work yourself. Doujin works that become mainstream hits can sustain itself.

Also I have to make this point now

Buying manga in japan is not like buying comics. If you want the latest issue of Detective Comics you're getting a single batman story. When you buy Weekly Shounen jump tho, your getting all the currently running stories that week. Your not only getting One Piece, your also getting Shokugeki no souma and Gintama and World Trigger etc.

It would be like buying a Book/Magazine named Monthly DC/Marvel, and getting every single comic story that month.

Believe it or not, once upon a time, we Americans DID actually buy comics with all the currently running stories for that week or even month. That unfortunately ended with some business practices from Marvel that shut down approximately 4,000 comic book stores due to price increases. I'll expand more on that later.

And in any case, based on what Takeshi Shudo said in his blogs, he definitely wasn't happy with the direction the show was going in starting at least late Johto, if not AG, so there's that to consider as well, which may have also impacted how the ratings severely decreased overtime to the appalling levels we are seeing today.

Yes I'm sure... IF you think about it Japanese animation Studios are on the mercy of the creators/IP holders. Imagine if you the creator of the show asks for two seasons of the anime, and the show explodes into popularity. if the Japanese studio's fully booked, there's no stopping the owner of the IP/creator to just move on to a different studio. The Fate series of Anime, are all made by different animation studios from UFO Table, A1 Pictures, and Deen.

Well, all I can say is, sooner or later, if they dip so low in ratings it starts to negatively effect even their sales, it's probably time to throw in the towel.

Sorry but Fate/stay night (and a miriad of different series) disagrees with that statement sir... Have you seen Fate/Stay night in the ratings? how about the ever popular Sword Art Online? How about the Monogatary Series?

Your insane if you think that most of these Animation Studios make their revenue off ratings. As most anime don't even air prime time. With most of them being late night shows.

Yeah, last I checked, Bull, NCIS New Orleans, NCIS Los Angeles, Blue Bloods, and Scorpion aired pretty late at night (they generally air at 9-10 at night, that's definitely late shows), yet they still got extremely stellar ratings. So no, I don't buy them being late-night as being a reason for their low ratings, much less that they don't use them, because I know plenty of shows that air late at night that got extremely good ratings even in spite of it airing late at night. If those shows I listed can get stellar ratings DESPITE airing very late at night, those anime can get the same high ratings as well.

Do you know where these show's make a killing tho... MERCH!!! Holy crap have you seen how freaking expensive the figurines/toys for the shows are... Holy Sh*t dude. HOLY F*CKIN SH*T THEY'RE AROUND $120+ DOLLARS (¥13,355) A PIECE!!! SOME OF THEM ARE $400+ DUDE!!! AND YOU KNOW WHAT!?! THEY SELL OUT!?! SOME OF THEM ARE LIMITED TOO GOD!!!

I JUST WANT MY SABER FIGURE!!!

And there are other things such as towels, pillows, Daikimakuras, DVD's, Expensive as F*ck Blue-rays, video-games and so on...

Believe it or not, we get much of the same with a lot of TV shows here in the US. The Simpsons has a LOT of paraphenelia and merchandise, as does various Disney franchises and Warner Bros. franchises. And let's not forget Star Wars and Star Trek, which also had some merchandise as well (toys, games, some backpacks, towels, DVDs. I think the only things we don't have that you do have are anime love pillows. And yeah, actually expensive toys are actually pretty commonplace here in America. The Beast Wars Optimal Optimus toy was pretty obscenely expensive, as was Primal Prime. And heck, don't get me started on those film collectors figurines that are often released into those stores based on certain movies like Labyrinth or Terminator 2: Judgment Day.

Says someone grew up in japan and studied Japanese culture... Kids don't buy Corocoro or Famitsu, they buy Shounen Jump or other anthology manga.

Haha, I forgot that kids bought Nintendo power in the states.

Yeah, shame that brand is gone, though, Nintendo Power I mean.

There's a cultural difference here Weedle it's so obvious that it pains me that I didn't notice it sooner... Kids in japan buy manga and they watch TV go to the arcade (Yes those are still very popular there)... If you want to have a successful IP that's geared towards kids... whether it be toys or games (yes even phone app games)... you better have a Japanese anime or manga adaption in the works or currently airing to get that thing some exposure.

Kids don't buy magazines about video game news with their allowance, they buy manga with they're favorite stories in them. And since they're buying Anthology manga they're going to be exposed to other stories... maybe one of those stories is based around a toy/game/TCG they could buy. They watch shows with colorful characters and awesome fight scenes...

You grew up with Nintendo Power.

I grew up with Weekly Shounen Jump.

Also, Japanese Kids still don't buy hobby magazines nowadays...

Eh, my local bowling alley has a video arcade as well, and a lot of people flocked there from what I could tell. Plus, there's a Dave and Busters fairly close buy, and a Fuddruckers which has a video arcade last I could check. There also used to be an arcade at a minigolf, but that venture got shut down a while back.

So far as their getting manga, honestly, while not quite Manga, there used to be a lot of comics/TGC/toy stores that one could get those things, one of those stores you alluded to, here in the USA. Was practically prevalent once upon a time. Unfortunately, they entered a decline during the 1990s, mostly because of certain business ventures that Marvel Comics did during that time regarding then-CEO Ron Perelman selling stock for 40% more than he got it, and also increasing prices for comics to such an extent that buying comics literally became unaffordable to anyone but the most dedicated comic buyers, and even they eventually started dwindling when prices further increased. All to make a quick buck. I've yet to find a comic/baseball card store at this point (probably the closest I've ever gotten to that is Blockbuster when it has those card stands, maybe also Video Game Swap USA). In fact, at this point, the closest you can get to something like that mainstream is something like Barnes and Noble thanks to the 2000s. Had it not been for Ron Perelman, we'd probably be a bit closer culturally to you guys than we are now regarding those things. You can read more about that whole mess in these links:

*http://www.milehighcomics.com/tales/cbg37.html

*http://www.milehighcomics.com/tales/cbg38.html

Case and piont. The next iteration of Inazuma 11 will also get an Anime adaption BTW.

Well, more power to them then. It doesn't change the situation Pokémon itself is in, unfortunately.

How old are we talking about here? If you just want the ratings of show from the past year you could always just find the listings on Anime news network... its just a pain to search for em tho...

Basically within the last week or earlier. And yeah, I know about Anime News Network, I was just asking because Frozocrone stopped using that due to it experiencing delays regarding actually updating its ratings.

CidHazard

just a miserable pile of secrets
    Years
  • Yeah, last I checked, Bull, NCIS New Orleans, NCIS Los Angeles, Blue Bloods, and Scorpion aired pretty late at night (they generally air at 9-10 at night, that's definitely late shows), yet they still got extremely stellar ratings. So no, I don't buy them being late-night as being a reason for their low ratings, much less that they don't use them, because I know plenty of shows that air late at night that got extremely good ratings even in spite of it airing late at night. If those shows I listed can get stellar ratings DESPITE airing very late at night, those anime can get the same high ratings as well.

Late night anime usually air after midnight. And if you do check the anime I've listed doesn't make the ratings weekly top 10.

Believe it or not, we get much of the same with a lot of TV shows here in the US. The Simpsons has a LOT of paraphenelia and merchandise, as does various Disney franchises and Warner Bros. franchises. And let's not forget Star Wars and Star Trek, which also had some merchandise as well (toys, games, some backpacks, towels, DVDs. I think the only things we don't have that you do have are anime love pillows. And yeah, actually expensive toys are actually pretty commonplace here in America. The Beast Wars Optimal Optimus toy was pretty obscenely expensive, as was Primal Prime. And heck, don't get me started on those film collectors figurines that are often released into those stores based on certain movies like Labyrinth or Terminator 2: Judgment Day.

I do, but don't underestimate the buying habits of Otakus (Tho I do believe some Trekies and Star Wars fan's could probably give them a run for their money.)

Yeah, shame that brand is gone, though, Nintendo Power I mean.

I did see an AVGN video from way back talking about the impact it had on 80's/90's kids. It sounds pretty awesome.

Eh, my local bowling alley has a video arcade as well, and a lot of people flocked there from what I could tell. Plus, there's a Dave and Busters fairly close buy, and a Fuddruckers which has a video arcade last I could check. There also used to be an arcade at a minigolf, but that venture got shut down a while back.
    It's really not that big as it once was, new Japanese arcade games still come out. With some of them having other gimicks like cards or toys to play.

Last time I visited one, there's been a huge boom when it comes too VR games. With most arcades prominently feature VR sections its great :D

Well, more power to them then. It doesn't change the situation Pokémon itself is in, unfortunately.

Pokemon Go definitely revitalized the series. I'll say that much...

Basically within the last week or earlier. And yeah, I know about Anime News Network, I was just asking because Frozocrone stopped using that due to it experiencing delays regarding actually updating its ratings.

ANN is slow but they still post the ratings :D its probably buried under all the news tho :D

Years
  • I'm getting an impression that merchandise sells will be more important than ever. I've read several different Japanese animation companies stating that it's much harder to get high ratings in general because people don't watch TV as much as they use to. Even Doraemon and Sazae-San's ratings aren't as high as they use to be. But then again their ratings are much higher than the other shows so I doubt they will cancel those shows in particular anytime soon.

Pokemon ratings is at least consistent and unlike X and Y it's staying on the charts thus far. I'm having trouble grasping how Pokemon is holding up against Yokai Watch. The only reason why I bring Yokai Watch up is that Yokai Watch is Pokemon's main competitor(at least when it comes to appealing to the younger fans). Some schoolteachers say that the kids talk about Yokai Watch more than Pokemon(this is during X and Y though).

Sun and Moon seems to be doing better ratings rise. However, like what was previous mention in this thread, Yokai Watch III was on top of the charts for it's first week(it bump Sun and Moon to second palace). This shows that there's still hype for it, but Sun and Moon did sell more in Japan overall. Granted I wouldn't be surprise if adults were a major contributor to Sun and Moon's sales. I heard Pokemon's fanbase is ageing over in Japan.

Then again, Yokai Watch tends to sell a bit less than Pokemon even in Japan, so I'm not so sure if it's a indicator that Yokai Watch is losing popularity.

Years
    • Seen Aug 29, 2020
    I'm getting an impression that merchandise sells will be more important than ever. I've read several different Japanese animation companies stating that it's much harder to get high ratings in general because people don't watch TV as much as they use to. Even Doraemon and Sazae-San's ratings aren't as high as they use to be. But then again their ratings are much higher than the other shows so I doubt they will cancel those shows in particular anytime soon.

Pokemon ratings is at least consistent and unlike X and Y it's staying on the charts thus far. I'm having trouble grasping how Pokemon is holding up against Yokai Watch. The only reason why I bring Yokai Watch up is that Yokai Watch is Pokemon's main competitor(at least when it comes to appealing to the younger fans). Some schoolteachers say that the kids talk about Yokai Watch more than Pokemon(this is during X and Y though).

Sun and Moon seems to be doing better ratings rise. However, like what was previous mention in this thread, Yokai Watch III was on top of the charts for it's first week(it bump Sun and Moon to second palace). This shows that there's still hype for it, but Sun and Moon did sell more in Japan overall. Granted I wouldn't be surprise if adults were a major contributor to Sun and Moon's sales. I heard Pokemon's fanbase is ageing over in Japan.

Then again, Yokai Watch tends to sell a bit less than Pokemon even in Japan, so I'm not so sure if it's a indicator that Yokai Watch is losing popularity.

People also don't watch as much TV as they used to even here in America, especially with the advent of streaming services. That never stopped the likes of NCIS, NCIS: Los Angeles, NCIS: New Orleans, Bull, Blue Bloods, and the like from getting very high ratings especially among Nielsen ratings (and by "very high", I mean within the double digits, or even very high single digits.). And I'm pretty sure the same applies with Japan as well. So no, Pokémon right now is not doing very well especially regarding ratings (and in fact, if I were a representative of Nintendo and I saw the ratings, I wouldn't even CARE if they were selling stuff, I'd still cancel Pokémon and specifically cite the ratings as a reason).

Years
  • People also don't watch as much TV as they used to even here in America, especially with the advent of streaming services. That never stopped the likes of NCIS, NCIS: Los Angeles, NCIS: New Orleans, Bull, Blue Bloods, and the like from getting very high ratings especially among Nielsen ratings (and by "very high", I mean within the double digits, or even very high single digits.). And I'm pretty sure the same applies with Japan as well. So no, Pokémon right now is not doing very well especially regarding ratings (and in fact, if I were a representative of Nintendo and I saw the ratings, I wouldn't even CARE if they were selling stuff, I'd still cancel Pokémon and specifically cite the ratings as a reason).

It is true that TV is losing relevancy in America as well. I do think the TV issue in Japan in particular has a lot to do with Japan's declining birth rate(at least with shows that are targeted to young people). A lot of western countries do have this issue to some degree but Japan's case is very severe. I've seen animation companies siting that Japan's birth rate issue as a big obstacle. So it's not surprising if the birth rate issues is affecting the Pokemon anime.

I don't think they will be quick to cancel Sun and Moon. If it's doing better than X and Y and it's staying on the charts there's probably incentive to keep it on air for now. The new movie did much better than most Pokemon movies in recent years. However, I don't think the 20th anniversary movie's success has much to do with the Sun and Moon anime itself(I assume its was watched mostly by the older fans). We probably need to wait and see if the next movie(which is base around Sun and Moon) does well. I wouldn't say that Pokemon anime is doing super well(then again even big hitters aren't getting as high ratings as they use to and I highly doubt Pokemon will beat Doraemon and Sazae-San anytime soon), but it's managing and it seems to be better off then it was during X and Y.

I'm sure there's tons of reasons why the situation of the Pokemon anime is the way it is. There's really no clear cut answer. Although I can imagine that TPC(I know they don't make the show but they control the property) is very tenacious when it comes to keeping the anime on air and because of this the staff seems to be more willing to change things up to maintain interest rather than cancelling it.

Last edited:
    Years
  • I don't feel like reading 8 pages, so I'll just ask: Are SM's ratings higher than Yo-Kai Watch's overall?

Pokemon Sun and Moon's ratings are usually higher than Yokai Watch or tied. You can see the TV rankings on Anime New Network.

Here's the latest rankings: http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2017-07-13/japan-animation-tv-ranking-july-3-9/.118789

In some cases, Yokai Watch doesn't even make it in the top ten which makes wonder about the current state of the franchise. However, there are some post in the thread that pointed out that there times where Yokai Watch didn't air that week. So I'm not 100% sure about Yokai Watch's situation.

Edit: This is actually the latest rankings, which neither Pokemon or Yokai Watch made it in the top ten,

https://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2017-07-21/japan-animation-tv-ranking-july-10-16/.119178

Last edited:

Alexander18

Banned
    Years
    • NZ
    • Seen Dec 29, 2017
    Pokemon ratings is all i care about. I really don't care about Yokai Watch. Pokemon will live much longer.

Taste of Tea

Hoenn confirmed
    Years
  • Pokemon Sun and Moon's ratings are usually higher than Yokai Watch or tied. You can see the TV rankings on Anime New Network.

Here's the latest rankings: http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2017-07-13/japan-animation-tv-ranking-july-3-9/.118789

In some cases, Yokai Watch doesn't even make it in the top ten which makes wonder about the current state of the franchise. However, there are some post in the thread that pointed out that there times where Yokai Watch didn't air that week. So I'm not 100% sure about Yokai Watch's situation.

Edit: This is actually the latest rankings, which neither Pokemon or Yokai Watch made it in the top ten,

https://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2017-07-21/japan-animation-tv-ranking-july-10-16/.119178

I had heard that Yo-Kai Watch was dominating in Japan, so I was expecting it to have ratings that match One Piece's at least. It's interesting that it's not quite on par with SM's ratings, though.

Alexander18

Banned
    Years
    • NZ
    • Seen Dec 29, 2017
    The ratings would have improved if they had Hilda and Moon as Ash's gen 5 & 7 female companion. Even though Bonnie is just a kid, she would have been a better female companion in kalos.

Years
    • Seen Sep 22, 2017
    It is true that TV is losing relevancy in America as well. I do think the TV issue in Japan in particular has a lot to do with Japan's declining birth rate(at least with shows that are targeted to young people). A lot of western countries do have this issue to some degree but Japan's case is very severe. I've seen animation companies siting that Japan's birth rate issue as a big obstacle. So it's not surprising if the birth rate issues is affecting the Pokemon anime.

I don't think they will be quick to cancel Sun and Moon. If it's doing better than X and Y and it's staying on the charts there's probably incentive to keep it on air for now. The new movie did much better than most Pokemon movies in recent years. However, I don't think the 20th anniversary movie's success has much to do with the Sun and Moon anime itself(I assume its was watched mostly by the older fans). We probably need to wait and see if the next movie(which is base around Sun and Moon) does well. I wouldn't say that Pokemon anime is doing super well(then again even big hitters aren't getting as high ratings as they use to and I highly doubt Pokemon will beat Doraemon and Sazae-San anytime soon), but it's managing and it seems to be better off then it was during X and Y.

I'm sure there's tons of reasons why the situation of the Pokemon anime is the way it is. There's really no clear cut answer. Although I can imagine that TPC(I know they don't make the show but they control the property) is very tenacious when it comes to keeping the anime on air and because of this the staff seems to be more willing to change things up to maintain interest rather than cancelling it.

Can you please stop saying that SM is doing better than XY ? it's totally wrong...

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1FnAdRaelkrt5f7AFlr3d3gFowJ4YRVkL5_LOsWjmjIY/edit

XY030 : 5.3
    SM030 : 3.1

XY031 : 5.3
    SM031 : 3.4

XY032 : 5.0
    SM032 : 3.4

I can continue on and on... It's just that now there's less competition than in 2014 because Yokai is losing popularity while it was as it's peek in 2014-2015... But NO SM is not doing better than XY stop with this myth that SM fanboys want to create. If XY got these numbers in 2017 (right now obviously) it would be top 5 every weeks easily, SM is always struggling at 9th place while there's less competition than in 2014.

Years
  • Can you please stop saying that SM is doing better than XY ? it's totally wrong...

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1FnAdRaelkrt5f7AFlr3d3gFowJ4YRVkL5_LOsWjmjIY/edit

XY030 : 5.3
    SM030 : 3.1

XY031 : 5.3
    SM031 : 3.4

XY032 : 5.0
    SM032 : 3.4

I can continue on and on... It's just that now there's less competition than in 2014 because Yokai is losing popularity while it was as it's peek in 2014-2015... But NO SM is not doing better than XY stop with this myth that SM fanboys want to create. If XY got these numbers in 2017 (right now obviously) it would be top 5 every weeks easily, SM is always struggling at 9th place while there's less competition than in 2014.

I actually didn't mean to offend as I don't have super strong feelings for both shows. I did recheck X and Y ratings and they are actually almost the same as Sun and Moon's ratings. It just seems lower because Yokai Watch doesn't appear in the top 10 as constantly as it use too. I think some shows that X and Y compete with like Time Bokan don't air anymore which is another reason why people(myself included) thought that X and Y did worst.

Years
    • Seen Sep 22, 2017
    Brock and Misty's return episode (SM42) is not even in the top 10 ratings and got less than 3.8. Pretty funny that the fanservice failed in Japan. I hope it doesn't mean that they won't let others characters return because of that.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Aug 29, 2020
    Brock and Misty's return episode (SM42) is not even in the top 10 ratings and got less than 3.8. Pretty funny that the fanservice failed in Japan. I hope it doesn't mean that they won't let others characters return because of that.

Wait, they what?! Aw, no... I hope it doesn't result in Ash reneigning on his promise to meet them in Alola like he did to Pidgeot...

Though I find it odd... didn't that poll, which was mixed up with both boys and girls from as young as 10 to as old as mid-to-late 20s have Misty and Brock rank up in third and first place regarding desirable returns, respectively?

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Sep 22, 2017
    Wait, they what?! Aw, no... I hope it doesn't result in Ash reneigning on his promise to meet them in Alola like he did to Pidgeot...

Though I find it odd... didn't that poll, which was mixed up with both boys and girls from as young as 10 to as old as mid-to-late 20s have Misty and Brock rank up in third and first place regarding desirable returns, respectively?

Pokemon Sun & Moon audience is young kids, they are around 7 years old.
    And yeah I also find it odd that this particular episode failed in ratings... I guess Japanese weren't hyped as much as the americans to see Brock & Misty again.

Years
    • Seen Aug 29, 2020
    Pokemon Sun & Moon audience is young kids, they are around 7 years old.
    And yeah I also find it odd that this particular episode failed in ratings... I guess Japanese weren't hyped as much as the americans to see Brock & Misty again.

Then what was that poll meant for, then? It specifically mentioned 10-29 year olds voting for it, and since it's a Japanese poll, I'm pretty sure that them even making the top three would have been enough to boost the ratings.

https://www.pokecommunity.com/showthread.php?p=9644232#post9644232

Last edited:
    Back