• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Pokemon Sun and Moon Ratings

Years
    • Seen Aug 29, 2020
    I do not deny this and do not misunderstand me. What I really wanted to say is the TV ratings do not really say how popular an anime is and since Yajima confirmed that the last episode was popular although it has only a rating of 3.0, TV ratings are not the majority of the rating but the internet. In the Japanese poll you can see the XYZ was better rated by Japan although the TV ratings were not high. Naruto Shippuuden had worse TV ratings and was rated better than XYZ. TV ratings say nothing at all, so I would not rely on TV ratings but what the internet says. So this is nothing negative for XYZ / Serena.

If it is really about TV ratings instead of the overall rating then they have to make Pokemon even more childish than SM so more children the anime look at TV but I doubt then the TV ratings Pokemon more popular because the children are only the minority of the rating but it is the teenagers / adults who are the majority of the evaluation. The best example is the confirmation of Yajima about the last episode of XYZ.

As much as I want to believe you, the problem is that even regarding internet viewings, Pokémon, or at least XY, is actually pretty unpopular (some of the XY ratings threads more than made this clear), and besides which, there are plenty of shows out there that actually managed to get very high TV ratings DESPITE streaming and actually ARE popular (case in point, the three NCIS series and Blue Bloods, probably Scorpion as well).

Years
    • Seen Apr 24, 2019
    As much as I want to believe you, the problem is that even regarding internet viewings, Pokémon, or at least XY, is actually pretty unpopular (some of the XY ratings threads more than made this clear), and besides which, there are plenty of shows out there that actually managed to get very high TV ratings DESPITE streaming and actually ARE popular (case in point, the three NCIS series and Blue Bloods, probably Scorpion as well).

The three series you have called are television series from US and not from Japan. There are anime which were not at all in the top list and are popular. Through the confirmation of Yajima and the Japanese poll I doubt the XY was unpopular because that would mean then the AG DP and BW were even more unpopular even though they had better ratings, so there is something wrong.

Years
    • Seen Aug 29, 2020
    The three series you have called are television series from US and not from Japan. There are anime which were not at all in the top list and are popular. Through the confirmation of Yajima and the Japanese poll I doubt the XY was unpopular because that would mean then the AG DP and BW were even more unpopular even though they had better ratings, so there is something wrong.

Well, to be fair, AG actually was pretty unpopular by the late part of the saga since it was losing ratings fast (until BW and especially XY, AG was the lowest it ever went), and considering they generally skipped out of any references to AG and was largely forgettable due to Dawn basically doing the same goal as May and Ash literally getting the same rank as in Johto, not to mention his whole Battle Frontier win, probably the only true accomplishment he had in the region, was treated as a complete and total joke. And that's not even getting into how people were still sore about Misty's departure, in and out of Japan.

And besides, I can name Japanese shows that actually got killed off due to bad ratings, like, for example, Love Hina and Mega Man: Star Force.

So far as Yajima's statement, I'm not sure shock value actually equates to popularity (and that's essentially what the whole kiss was meant to be in his own words, shock value, something people won't expect). Family Guy, for example, relies on shock value all the time, yet it's got a very vocal hatedom, with several places noting that the show has had a really huge decline in quality after being uncancelled even WITH their use of shock value.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Apr 24, 2019
    Well, to be fair, AG actually was pretty unpopular by the late part of the saga since it was losing ratings fast (until BW and especially XY, AG was the lowest it ever went), and considering they generally skipped out of any references to AG and was largely forgettable due to Dawn basically doing the same goal as May and Ash literally getting the same rank as in Johto, not to mention his whole Battle Frontier win, probably the only true accomplishment he had in the region, was treated as a complete and total joke. And that's not even getting into how people were still sore about Misty's departure, in and out of Japan.

And besides, I can name Japanese shows that actually got killed off due to bad ratings, like, for example, Love Hina and Mega Man: Star Force.

So far as Yajima's statement, I'm not sure shock value actually equates to popularity (and that's essentially what the whole kiss was meant to be in his own words, shock value, something people won't expect). Family Guy, for example, relies on shock value all the time, yet it's got a very vocal hatedom, with several places noting that the show has had a really huge decline in quality after being uncancelled even WITH their use of shock value.

At that time, TV ratings still played a role but nowadays every internet has so you can not compare the time from then with today. Family Guy is also from US and not Japan. Nevertheless, AG DP and BW had better rating than XY so if TV ratings would really tell the truth instead of the overall rating then only the animes with high TV rating should be in a Japanese poll instead of animes with bad TV ratings

Check out the US polls and a Japanese poll. The US polls have more and more votes than the Japanese and it does not mean that the US poll is telling the truth how popular a Japanese anime or character really is. The same is true for the TV ratings in US and Japan, so you can not compare US with Japan.

Years
    • Seen Aug 29, 2020
    At that time, TV ratings still played a role but nowadays every internet has so you can not compare the time from then with today. Family Guy is also from US and not Japan. Nevertheless, AG DP and BW had better rating than XY so if TV ratings would really tell the truth instead of the overall rating then only the animes with high TV rating should be in a Japanese poll instead of animes with bad TV ratings

Check out the US polls and a Japanese poll. The US polls have more and more votes than the Japanese and it does not mean that the US poll is telling the truth how popular a Japanese anime or character really is. The same is true for the TV ratings in US and Japan, so you can not compare US with Japan.

My point with the Family Guy example was that shock value=/=popularity. To use a Japan-based example, since you insist on no Western examples, there's Love Hina, where each of the so-called "jokes" of the episodes involve the girls mistaking Keitaru for a pervert and frequently abusing him, many times the abuse is arguably even WORSE than in the manga, and many times going into irrelevant and even irreverent humor that even some of its supporters admit is completely unnecessary and a chore to go through. Essentially, Family Guy-type shock humor, yet that got cancelled within 25 episodes in a very abrupt manner, showcasing just how unpopular the anime adaptation actually was.

And for the record, AG actually was a fairly bad show, not just in regards to the ratings (they were slightly better than XY's ratings or SM's ratings, but not by much), but also in terms of actual quality as well (people can complain about Johto all they want, but what they can't deny is that at least Johto actually SHOWED Ash progressing as a trainer and actually doing a LOT better than in Kanto, while in Hoenn, Ash literally stopped at the same rank as before, making Hoenn out to be completely pointless. Plus, there was the overfocus on Pokémon Contests that, if we are to go by the games, were literally side quests that don't even unlock a major part of the plot, and then there's Ash basically beating all the Gym Leaders with just his rookies, thus tarnishing the reputation they had in OS as being exceptionally skilled and challenging trainers against starting out pokemon, and Brock if anything came across as even MORE pointless than in Johto. And don't get me started on how, thanks to Shudo's insistence that we keep Team Rocket, they're coming across as less threatening characters and more pointless nuisances.). BW, don't get me started on just how ill-received that show was even in Japan, least of all here among the Pokémon fanbase after how Ash was really made into a grade-A idiot in a failed attempt at essentially rehashing Kanto. In fact, of the three shows you listed compared to XY and SM, only DP came across as even remotely good just from the actual quality for them, let alone the Japanese TV ratings.

Years
    • Seen Apr 24, 2019
    My point with the Family Guy example was that shock value=/=popularity. To use a Japan-based example, since you insist on no Western examples, there's Love Hina, where each of the so-called "jokes" of the episodes involve the girls mistaking Keitaru for a pervert and frequently abusing him, many times the abuse is arguably even WORSE than in the manga, and many times going into irrelevant and even irreverent humor that even some of its supporters admit is completely unnecessary and a chore to go through. Essentially, Family Guy-type shock humor, yet that got cancelled within 25 episodes in a very abrupt manner, showcasing just how unpopular the anime adaptation actually was.

And for the record, AG actually was a fairly bad show, not just in regards to the ratings (they were slightly better than XY's ratings or SM's ratings, but not by much), but also in terms of actual quality as well (people can complain about Johto all they want, but what they can't deny is that at least Johto actually SHOWED Ash progressing as a trainer and actually doing a LOT better than in Kanto, while in Hoenn, Ash literally stopped at the same rank as before, making Hoenn out to be completely pointless. Plus, there was the overfocus on Pok?mon Contests that, if we are to go by the games, were literally side quests that don't even unlock a major part of the plot, and then there's Ash basically beating all the Gym Leaders with just his rookies, thus tarnishing the reputation they had in OS as being exceptionally skilled and challenging trainers against starting out pokemon, and Brock if anything came across as even MORE pointless than in Johto. And don't get me started on how, thanks to Shudo's insistence that we keep Team Rocket, they're coming across as less threatening characters and more pointless nuisances.). BW, don't get me started on just how ill-received that show was even in Japan, least of all here among the Pok?mon fanbase after how Ash was really made into a grade-A idiot in a failed attempt at essentially rehashing Kanto. In fact, of the three shows you listed compared to XY and SM, only DP came across as even remotely good just from the actual quality for them, let alone the Japanese TV ratings.

As I said earlier, this was the time when TV ratings still played a role because not every internet or cell phone had but nowadays it is exactly the other way around. Lova Hina was in the year 2000 and that was the time where TV ratings still played a role and one had to look anime on TV but today is different. Today you find everything on the internet and Pokemon is no exception.

At BW, I hoped the Ash is more mature than in DP because you realized that the trip had made him a strong and mature trainer. In XY, they made him strong again and much more adult which I find good but then make him so childish in SM was not very nice but he has his strength still and that is good. What I hate at DP and XY are the comments. XYZ was the best... DP was the best...both had good and bad points but this discussion never ends.

Frozocrone

Fighting a bigger fight
    Years
  • Love Hina (2000) isn't relevant these days (2017) because viewing habits have changed. TV ratings just aren't what they used to be.

Important? Yes - because companies still need to pay for advertisement.
    Be all and end all? These days they most certainly are not.

Not surprised Misty and Brock didn't bring viewing figures up considerably and anyone thinking they would have got figures to at least 5m and above is foolish to think so.

side note, AG didn't regress Ash.
    Johto - top 8 with reserves, loses to another challenger
    Hoenn - top 8 without reserves, loses to eventual champion

Years
    • Seen Aug 29, 2020
    Love Hina (2000) isn't relevant these days (2017) because viewing habits have changed. TV ratings just aren't what they used to be.

Not surprised Misty and Brock didn't bring viewing figures up considerably and anyone thinking they would have got figures to at least 5m and above is foolish to think so.

side note, AG didn't regress Ash.
    Johto - top 8 with reserves, loses to another challenger
    Hoenn - top 8 without reserves, loses to eventual champion

Tell that to TV executives. GCB back in 2012 ended up cancelled due to bad ratings. Same deal with Heroes after Season 4/Volume 5 (and that was even worse since it literally got short changed due to literally leaving room for a new season), or even its sequel series Heroes: Reborn (which only lasted a single season due to bad ratings). Or heck, just look at 24: Legacy just this year. That outright bombed. And Supergirl would have been cancelled outright for bad ratings if it didn't get moved to the CW from CBS. Also Doubt, which was released this year, and didn't even last two EPISODES, much less a single season, before being canned. And Two Broke Girls started off with very impressive ratings (well over 19), but then got cancelled at a mere 4.75 in ratings, less than one quarter of its original ratings. And all of those examples actually WERE from the age of the internet. And for the record, I can also point you to the Star Force anime, which most certainly was made far closer to this time period regarding the age of the internet, and also got cancelled due to bad ratings, and unlike the above examples, that one actually WAS from Japan (it only barely managed to cover the events of the first game, with the second and third games not even being adapted at all.). Another Japanese example is Vampire Knight, which ended prematurely in 2008, around the same time as Star Force, in fact, and for similar reasons. Same with Baccano! and Deadman Wonderland (the latter of which ended in 2011). Oh, and get this, most of the stuff they adapted either ended around the same time after a very long run cycle (much longer than the airdates of the anime, I should add), or actually ended at a far later date (or in the case of the Star Force games, technically lasted as long overall as the anime, but managed to cover triple as many story material as the anime before ending). And for the record, my source material for every anime example here save for Star Force was from this: http://otakukart.com/animeblog/2016...re-they-could-actually-reveal-the-full-story/ as well as cross-checking with Wikipedia's entries on them. I could probably find even more examples if I set my mind to it. For Star Force, I checked Mega Man Wiki's Star Force anime page, and also checked the game pages for Star Force and Star Force 3, and also looked at the episodes (I knew it covered the first game due to it referencing Cepheus and Gemini Spark being antagonistic, which only happened in the first game).

As far as AG regressing Ash, if he doesn't do better than before, ie, he actually gets a better rank than before, he's regressed, period, no exceptions. At the very least, he hasn't actually gotten stronger. Do I look like I care if he used reserves or not? Absolutely not. If it were me writing the show, then with Hoenn, I'd make darn sure that he gets better than Top 8, have him reach Top 4 without reserves at the very least, just to make explicit that, yes, he has indeed gotten stronger. Anything less than a better rank, and he's regressed/stagnated, not actually improving. In order to truly prove you've done better than before, you need a higher ranking. Look at Rocky, the codifier of this sort of thing. Heck, just look at sporting events. There's a reason why rankings exist, it's for the strong to weed out the weak.

Last edited:

CidHazard

just a miserable pile of secrets
    Years
  • Tell that to TV executives. GCB back in 2012 ended up cancelled due to bad ratings. Same deal with Heroes after Season 4/Volume 5 (and that was even worse since it literally got short changed due to literally leaving room for a new season), or even its sequel series Heroes: Reborn (which only lasted a single season due to bad ratings). Or heck, just look at 24: Legacy just this year. That outright bombed. And Supergirl would have been cancelled outright for bad ratings if it didn't get moved to the CW from CBS. Also Doubt, which was released this year, and didn't even last two EPISODES, much less a single season, before being canned. And Two Broke Girls started off with very impressive ratings (well over 19), but then got cancelled at a mere 4.75 in ratings, less than one quarter of its original ratings. And all of those examples actually WERE from the age of the internet. And for the record, I can also point you to the Star Force anime, which most certainly was made far closer to this time period regarding the age of the internet, and also got cancelled due to bad ratings, and unlike the above examples, that one actually WAS from Japan (it only barely managed to cover the events of the first game, with the second and third games not even being adapted at all.).

Weedle please use Japanese shows as a basis here... You keep using western shows ratings to prove your points, but they are completely irrelevant. There's no way you can compare, since each country have different cultures and ways of doing business.

Star force itself is a unique case since the game around it failed to meet Capcoms expectations, so they cut the show short, since they had no plans to continue the video game series.

Love Hina (2000) isn't relevant these days (2017) because viewing habits have changed. TV ratings just aren't what they used to be.

A show like Love Hina would actually rake in more money if it was released in the 2010-present. Otaku culture has exploded, and more people (Like me) are willing to buy figures to add to their ever growing collection. With countries like China fully embracing otaku colture, more people are buying merch.

To say Love hina was cancelled becuase of ratings is rather ignorant. Love hina was freaking popular, it had a couple of TV specials a LIVE concert and an DVD that had the OVA Love Hina again which book ended the TV series.

Now what Weedle ignores is the fact that in Japan you don't need ratings to be popular, or to get sequels even. You need sponsors and ton's and ton's of merch.

A good example of a show doing well even tho it does shit ratings wise... is High School DXD, an ecchi series aimed specifically at a very specific audience... is getting it's fourth season next year... Some series chose to continue their series in the silver screen (such as Mahouka Koukou no Rettousei & Faith Stay Night Heaven's Feel both shows are extremely popular in the otaku community yet did shit for ratings)

http://goboiano.com/heres-money-actually-made-anime/

Here read this... and let's be done with this already... it's been almost a year XD

Years
    • Seen Aug 29, 2020
    Weedle please use Japanese shows as a basis here... You keep using western shows ratings to prove your points, but they are completely irrelevant. There's no way you can compare, since each country have different cultures and ways of doing business.

Star force itself is a unique case since the game around it failed to meet Capcoms expectations, so they cut the show short, since they had no plans to continue the video game series.

That's actually why I started using examples from actual Japanese anime (though, to be fair, those were later add-ons rather than part of the original post). Besides Star Force, I also cited the examples of Vampire Knight, Baccano!, and Deadman Wonderland (which all ended in 2008, and in the case of Deadman Wonderland, 2011). Heck, I even discovered another example of an anime that got cancelled due to bad ratings. Bleach. That ended back in 2012, and the manga for that is STILL on-going. In fact, with the exception of Star Force, all of those anime had their mangas having a far longer run, either having it significantly preceding the anime even if both technically ended around the same time, or otherwise, if it has ended, it ended well after the anime. And as far as Star Force, that actually reinforces my point, because the anime got cancelled before it could even adapt Star Force 2 and 3, despite those games already being released (it only just barely fully adapted Star Force 1).

A show like Love Hina would actually rake in more money if it was released in the 2010-present. Otaku culture has exploded, and more people (Like me) are willing to buy figures to add to their ever growing collection. With countries like China fully embracing otaku colture, more people are buying merch.

To say Love hina was cancelled becuase of ratings is rather ignorant. Love hina was freaking popular, it had a couple of TV specials a LIVE concert and an DVD that had the OVA Love Hina again which book ended the TV series.

Apparently, you're ignoring that the actual anime series for Love Hina ended about as abruptly as Woody's Roundup from Toy Story 2, and from what people said, it's because it lost a significant amount of money. Saying the series wasn't cancelled just because of the TV specials, a Live Concert, and a DVD is like saying Batman Beyond wasn't cancelled just because Justice League Unlimited had several episodes focusing on the Batman Beyond Universe and it having a comic series. The fact that it doesn't produce any more episodes within that series directly makes it VERY clear that it's been cancelled. Besides, Bleach is also part of that same Otaku culture. That never stopped it from getting abruptly cancelled back in 2012, even WITH merchandising.

Now what Weedle ignores is the fact that in Japan you don't need ratings to be popular, or to get sequels even. You need sponsors and ton's and ton's of merch.

Yeah, and Bleach had tons of merch as well, sponsors, too, as did Vampire Knight, Deadman Rising, and Baccano!. Never stopped those shows from being significantly cut short/cancelled. Heck, having tons of merchandise didn't even stop Battle Vixens from being cancelled long before the manga ended (and promptly got continued with a new volume series), then getting three other series between long stretches of time. In fact, just look at this link here for a further list of examples: http://otakukart.com/animeblog/2016...re-they-could-actually-reveal-the-full-story/ In fact, of the various examples I'm hunting down, the only one that actually matches what you and that anime site claims is reality was Keijo!!!!! which had its manga cancelled just this year due to very bad anime sales. And bear in mind, this was the same manga where they sold DLC for that anime/manga to Dead or Alive Xtreme 3, of all places.

A good example of a show doing well even tho it does **** ratings wise... is High School DXD, an ecchi series aimed specifically at a very specific audience... is getting it's fourth season next year... Some series chose to continue their series in the silver screen (such as Mahouka Koukou no Rettousei & Faith Stay Night Heaven's Feel both shows are extremely popular in the otaku community yet did **** for ratings)

http://goboiano.com/heres-money-actually-made-anime/

Here read this... and let's be done with this already... it's been almost a year XD

I'll read this, but that doesn't change the fact that there have been PLENTY of anime in Japan that got cancelled DESPITE having sponsors and especially tons of merchandise, one of which includes Bleach, for example. You can read about it here: https://reelrundown.com/animation/Will-Bleach-Return-and-When Anyways, at least this time, it's actually within the topic of ratings. And quite frankly, Pok?mon will end up inevitably cancelled with the current low ratings its getting, like Bleach before it. If Bleach can get cancelled for very bad ratings, DESPITE loads of merchandising and sales, not to mention sponsors, so can Pok?mon.

Last edited:

Frozocrone

Fighting a bigger fight
    Years
  • Apparently SM043 got a 4.5 which was its highest rating yet.

CBA with source as on phone. Might edit when on laptop.

Just in case anyone was still interested in this thread.

The Mega Champion

Strategist
    Years
  • Not sure where this belongs so I guess I'll just post it here.

It looks like DXD is starting to give up on this series.

The time slot seems to have been moved to 7:30 am. EST.

So... yeah... there you go.

=/

Years
    • Seen Aug 29, 2020
    Not sure where this belongs so I guess I'll just post it here.

It looks like DXD is starting to give up on this series.

The time slot seems to have been moved to 7:30 am. EST.

So... yeah... there you go.

=/

Eh, doesn't matter to me anyways, since, due to not having cable, I don't even have Disney Channel, much less Disney XD. I can always view it on the internet after the fact anyway.

CidHazard

just a miserable pile of secrets
    Years
  • Eh, doesn't matter to me anyways, since, due to not having cable, I don't even have Disney Channel, much less Disney XD. I can always view it on the internet after the fact anyway.

DXD only really doesn't offer any show of value... with only Star vs. The Forces of Evil, being the only good thing they have going.

Pokemon on DXD is a bad decision anyway since it is a premium channel, it should be on basic cable TBH.

Edit:

Also, with Disney planning to launch their new streaming service, Disney XD is only going to diminish in value.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Aug 29, 2020
    DXD only really doesn't offer any show of value... with only Star vs. The Forces of Evil, being the only good thing they have going.

Pokemon on DXD is a bad decision anyway since it is a premium channel, it should be on basic cable TBH.

Edit:

Also, with Disney planning to launch their new streaming service, Disney XD is only going to diminish in value.

Actually, not even basic cable (as I don't even have that), it should have been on antenna. At least there, I can actually be able to watch it. Besides, I'm not sure their new streaming service would impact the ratings all that much (NCIS and its sister shows managed to get all high ratings DESPITE the CBS all access streaming app, for example).

Anyways, those Misty episodes are probably going to be the only exception I can allow for the boycott (not counting rereleases of Star Wars stuff that predated the Disney acquisition), mostly so I can savor the victory.

Apparently SM043 got a 4.5 which was its highest rating yet.

That's definitely good news, especially after what BanFairy earlier implied. That means Misty and Brock returning in the near future is nothing less than a sure thing.

Last edited:

Pinkie-Dawn

Vampire Waifu
    Years
  • People don't care about the anime entirely, because it is not good anymore. Misty and Brock coming back wasn't going get people to like the anime again, and bringing back Serena isn't going to change the ratings at all either.

SM designs for the characters are not all that good, i wasn't to happy with Misty and Brock designs. Misty seem less of a tomboy this time around and Brock really didn't seem to be his self either.

Is no one going to reply to this guy's post? Alright, I'll bite.

Saying that the anime is not good anymore is completely false. So far, Best Wishes was the only saga that was truly a flop because people actually enjoyed Advanced, DP, and XY. And people have begun to warm up on SM when it turns out it wasn't as bad as many people feared it would be nor was it going to be Best Wishes 2.0. If you still think the SM designs are bad, then you need to watch more anime (I suggest the new Lupin the 3rd anime which had an art style change yet still looks fluent in motion).

The OS had a lot of well done mature characters designs, Misty design was very mature and sexy, Brock design was really cool and badass, and Ash really had a much cooler badass badboy character design, that is what made the OS so damn great back in it's glory days, nowadays the new anime really do suck and i'm not surprise why the ratings are so low now.

That's just your nostalgia talking because the OS had its fair share of problems as well from logical mistakes, plotholes, and poor writing, and may I remind you that Misty is 10, so calling her sexy would warrant you a target from the FBI.

What about DuckTales, Milo Murphy's Law, and Star Wars Rebels? Those are good shows on DXD too.

Years
    • Seen Aug 29, 2020

Saying that the anime is not good anymore is completely false. So far, Best Wishes was the only saga that was truly a flop because people actually enjoyed Advanced, DP, and XY. And people have begun to warm up on SM when it turns out it wasn't as bad as many people feared it would be nor was it going to be Best Wishes 2.0. If you still think the SM designs are bad, then you need to watch more anime (I suggest the new Lupin the 3rd anime which had an art style change yet still looks fluent in motion).

First of all, when the show gets bad ratings, it's simply not a good show, period. Back in the Original series, we've gotten a lot of ratings that were in the double digits. Name me one episode as of late that even gets a nine point oh now, much less ranks in the double digits.

Second of all, Advanced was just a downright terrible show that if anything did even WORSE in ratings than Johto did on both sides of the pond (and bear in mind, this was BEFORE YouTube was even a thing), which led to various complaints about the anime franchise such as the girl swapping, Ash and Pikachu getting level resets, no real development due to those aforementioned resets, depicting the Gym Leaders as basically being weaklings, among others. In fact, of the series post-OS that aired, only XY came close to actually MATCHING the OS, and even that was a ratings disaster, with even its movies performing horribly (even Best Wishes' movie sales did far better than XY's).

Third of all, SM only started getting good when they not only started bringing Misty and Brock back, but actually allowed Ash to resume his goal. Don't forget, the entire plot of the overall anime revolved around Ash becoming a Pokemon Master, which was all but stated to require him winning a league. Thanks to forcing him into the school environment, they practically destroyed a key part of the plot for no real reason. Even Best Wishes, a very terrible show in itself, at least had Ash focusing on his goal. And if that's not enough, several press releases for the show back when it was first announced highlighted the fact that Ash's new goal was to "graduate like never before." And that was back last September (ie, September 2016).

Lastly, if you're going to comment about art style/animation changes, I suggest you look at Best Wishes, that had an art style/animation change as well. Or heck, look at Dragon Ball Super, even. They changed their artstyles and animation without being radical about it.

That's just your nostalgia talking because the OS had its fair share of problems as well from logical mistakes, plotholes, and poor writing, and may I remind you that Misty is 10, so calling her sexy would warrant you a target from the FBI.

Sure, maybe the original series did have its own problems in those categories, but it certainly wasn't to the level of those series. And for the record, you should make that FBI comment to Masamitsu Hidaka, considering that, you know he outright admitted he changed girls for eyecandy purposes way back in 2010 in that interview with Pokebeach (and he pretty obviously meant it in a sexual manner). I don't like what Piii said about Misty myself, but I hold Hidaka more responsible since he was the one actually involved in the show.

What about DuckTales, Milo Murphy's Law, and Star Wars Rebels? Those are good shows on DXD too.

From what I saw of the trailers for DuckTales, that show had everyone sounding way too old, especially Hewie, Dewie, and Louie, and the art style really wasn't all that good anyway. And as far as Star Wars Rebels, seriously, the Rebels win every day and makes the Empire look straight up incompetent, which completely conflicts with the opening narrative of Episode IV that made very clear that the Rebels only started having any victories when they stole the Death Star plans (not to mention, it made most of the Empire look as incompetent as Jessie, James and Meowth at their worst, meaning, Vader aside, the Empire wouldn't even qualify as a threatening villain.). Can't comment on Milo Murphy's Law, though, since that's the first I've heard of it.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Mar 14, 2019

OS Kanto/Johto had an higher rating then the Advance series, DP series and XY series put together. The BW series movies did far better then the XY series movies, really says a lot about how terrible the XY anime was. The AG/DP series were both big flops of the entire Pokemon anime, even BW series did do a little bit better in ratings then those two series, and the XY series not doing good in ratings pretty much proves that it was a failure from the very beginning to the ending.

SM anime does have a little bit of an higher rating then the XY anime had, which proves that XY wasn't that good of a series, but the ratings still don't seem to be getting any higher with SM either.

The Pokemon anime is not a fad anymore like it was in the 90s, that is another reason why the ratings are down a little bit.

The Original series anime might not have been perfect, but at least it did improved Ash's character in both regions instead of one, and the animation was much better back in the day, as for what i said about Misty she was a great character and her design was much better in the OS.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Apr 24, 2019
    Sometimes I feel that some people confuse the overall rating with TV ratings and do not even know what TV ratings mean at all. Please do not confuse the time as it was then with today plus a country not compare with another country when it comes to TV ratings.

Last edited:
    Back