• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Challenge] The Nuzlocke Challenge

Pave Low2

Everything
Years
    • Seen Aug 14, 2018
    Platinum Nuzlocke - Update 1
    Badges: 2/8

Not playing a gen 4 game for such a long time has definitely taken its toll. But I am enjoying this nonetheless. I've struggled with this a bit more than I would have liked, but that sort of adds to the fun. I'm happy with the my first encounters on each route so far, I've got a handy bunch of Pokemon. Surprisingly, however, I did not encounter a Bidoof so a Kricketune is my choice for a HM slave right now. The first gym was fairly straightforward with Turtwig. Team Galactic have been more annoying than Team Rocket are in previous gens and Gardenia was troubling. Despite having a Noctowl, and all my Pokemon around level 20, I was surprised at how strong her team were. I lost a Shellos but I needed to sacrifice something to heal my Noctowl.

Team

The Nuzlocke Challenge

Blackfish | Level 20 w/ Intimidate
    Quirky
    Splash | Bite | Tackle

The Nuzlocke Challenge

Grotle | Level 20 w/ Overgrow
    Rash
    Tackle | Withdraw
    Grass Knot | Razor Leaf

The Nuzlocke Challenge

Bronn | Level 17 w/ Run Away
    Bold
    Tickle | Sand-Attack
    Astonish | Baton Pass

The Nuzlocke Challenge

Beric | Level 22 w/ Intimidate
    Docile
    Return | Bite
    Spark | Charge

The Nuzlocke Challenge

Petyr | Level 21 w/ Insomnia
    Rash
    Growl | Uproar
    Hypnosis | Peck

Deaths: Psyduck, Budew, Shellos, Zubat

Screens:
    Spoiler:

Years
    • Seen Nov 16, 2018
    Username: Knost
    Challenge: Single
    Version: Red
    Rules: ***All Optional Rules in Red***
    Spoiler:

ATTEMPT #2

UPDATE #2
    -Beat Gray, TINKER swept
    -Cleared nugget bridge
    -Beat misty used Bide on TINKER thinking I could take the hits from Starmie and get an easy K.O. ...WHY DID I DO THAT?!?!?! Barely won. After Bide, Misty used Bubble Beam and took me down to 26 HP with a Crit, was fully paralyzed and then used an X-Defend. If she had attacked every time I'd have lost Tinker and the Lock more than likely. Didn't use an Item though. Wow!
    -I want to catch a Drowzee, but I need to get to Bills house to open the route and get past the trainers on that route to make it to Vermillion before I can find it. I say all of that because I will have to be careful not to level up too much so I can use RED and TINKER against surge. I need that Drowzee to take the experience from SS ANNE.
    -Tinker hit 24 before Bills house only battling the trainers I had to and passing up others...
    -Battled a robber tried to let Tinker take a little bit of the exp to free up Red who was Level 22 but Red was put to sleep so I had to switch Tinker in to take it out. I can't use Tinker anymore if I want it available for surges Gym....
    -Taught RED the move DIG. Hopefully it can be my Ace against surge.
    -LAST TRAINER GOING INTO VERMILLION HAD A RATICATE! Luckily it missed its hyper fang and RED got a crit to take it out quick...phew.
    -RED is at level 22 with 561 exp till 23
    Still have to get through SS ANNE...one great ball to catch the Drowzee I want. Please Lord let it work.
    -CAUGHT. THE. DROWZEE! Level 13! Thank. The. Lord! Man that was stressful for a game lol Hopefully SANDMAN the Drowzee can soak up all this EXP coming up and free up RED and TINKER to sit back and chill.
    -I now have Potions x6, Anidotes x2, Ether x2, Elixer x1, Full Restore x1
    -Unfortunately the trainers on the boat are too high level for SANDMAN right away so I'll head back and polish off the trainers in Cerulean first.
    -Leveling this SANDMAN up is impossible. Trainers in Cerulean still too high in level. I'll have to train in the grass. Pound is so
    terrible on this Pokémon...lvl 14 now.
    -SANDMAN hit level 17 and learned Confusion!!! Now we can put in some work!

More to come!!

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Nov 16, 2018
    Spoiler:

ATTEMPT #2

UPDATE #3
    -Leveled SANDMAN up to 20, taking out trainers on the SS ANNE.
    -Met a trainer on below deck who had a Tentacruel and a Staryu. SANDMAN had the Tentacruel almost dead when he was hit with a Supersonic and confused. Then he was poisoned. After hitting himself in Confusion twice I had to use a Potion and an Antidote. Was at 8 hp when I instructed SANDMAN to use Confusion forgetting that SANDMAN himself was still confused. Luckily, unlike the last two turns, he broke through Confusion and defeated the Tentacruel. Swapped in both RED and TINKER to take care of the Staryu. RED hit level 23 and TINKER is now 113 exp away from not listening to me...and I still have Gary coming up. That was not great....
    -The OCD trainer in me HATES leaving trainers unbattled anywhere but I skipped ahead to take on Gary when SANDMAN hit level 22.
    -Pidgeotto got 2 crits on SANDMAN before it fainted. Gary brought in Raticate next and I could smell the Hyper Fang coming so I swapped in TINKER to kill it knowing it would level up and stop listening to me. After Raticate died Gary brought out Kadabra and I was forced to bring out RED. Luckily RED took out Kadabra, but in taking a Confusion to the face upon switching in I had to use ANOTHER Potion in RED. Switching in SANDMAN to take on Gary's Ace Warturtle SANDMAN took a bubble and after putting the Warturtle to sleep I used one more Potion on SANDMAN. Thank the Lord SANDMAN took out the Warturtle and we defeated Gary! Losing two more potions is difficult to stomach though.
    -SS ANNE has taken two potions and one antidote from us but we walked out a full team. Can't complain about that.
    -BTW if anyone was wondering I'm trying my best to keep Charamander at its first ego until level 38 so I can get Flamethower early as I can't wait long enough for Fire Blast.
    -Got all the items off the SS ANNE before I got cut and let it set sail. I'll end up walking in with RED and SANDMAN both eligible to battle, but TINKER at level 25 is just barley ineligible. She would have been helpful.
    -Per the rules I caught an HM slave for cut.
    -Walked into Vermillion gym with RED
    and SANDMAN as my only options. I hope we're ready.
    -Took out the first trainers with RED no problem.
    -Took on LT Surge. Voltorb hit RED with a sonicboom before RED KO'd it with Dig. Took out the next Pikachu without issue. Raichu hit me with a crit Thunderbolt and took RED down to 18 hp. After hitting Raichu with a Dig the Raichu still lived but just barely. Knowing it was faster than me I swapped out to SANDMAN and luckily RAICHU went for two Growls in a row. SANDMAN KO'd the Raichu and we toon down the Vermillion City Gym!!

What should I catch next?!
    Maybe a Gastly?
    Maybe Snorlax?

Last edited:

TheCrystalFlaaffy

Youtube Content Creator
    Years
  • Episode 4 of Dark Rising :]

Challenge
    Spoiler:
    Episode 4:
    Spoiler:
    Current Team:
    The Nuzlocke Challenge

Postman the Dratini @Dragon Fang
    Level 21 | Male | Naughty | Shed Skin
    Swift | Dragonbreath | Thunder Wave | Whirlpool
    The Nuzlocke Challenge

Core the Roggenrola
    Level 21 | Male | Careful | Sturdy
    Rock Blast | Iron Defense | Mud-Slap | Headbutt
    The Nuzlocke Challenge

Somnus the Munna
    Level 20 | Male | Calm | Synchronize
    Psybeam | Defense Curl | Magic Coat | Yawn
    The Nuzlocke Challenge

Captain the Taillow
    Level 18 | Male | Sassy | Guts
    Wing Attack | Growl | Focus Energy | Quick Attack
    The Nuzlocke Challenge

Son Goku the Darumaka
    Level 16 | Male | Hardy | Inner Focus
    Tackle | Rollout | Flame Wheel | Façade
    Boxed:
    Spoiler:
    Deaths:
    Spoiler:

Years
    • Seen Nov 16, 2018
    Spoiler:

ATTEMPT #2

UPDATE #4
    -Went through Rock Tunnel and TINKER hit level 30 so it stopped listening to me again...this Pokémon is difficult.
    -Leveled RED and SANDMAN TO 29
    SANDMAN evolved.
    -Swept everything for grass badge got poisoned walked in at 3 hp
    -Now that the next leaders ACE is allll the way up at 43 I've decided to go around and sweep up all the trainers and EXP I've left behind. Time for it to get boring for awhile....
    -Because I need the Silph Scope I've decided to take out Team Rocket before I level up anymore.
    -....I should've got Fly...I just walked the entire map again.....I'm an idiot lol
    -Went through all of Team Rockets base and RED swept up hitting level 36! No major issues getting through.
    Giovanni next...
    -TINK beat Giovanni easily and we got the Silph Scope! Time to go get my Haunter!
    -Freaking Gary ambushed me at Lavender Town....Haunter will have to wait...
    -Gary needs to get on my level. Put him in his place easy. Swept up!
    -Found my Haunter and got him down to 20% health. Couldn't get it any lower. Lowered its attack stat. SANDMAN put it to sleep after being confused and only being at 30hp after some Haunter Night Shades. Threw the ONE great ball I had and....I CAUGHT IT! YESSSSS!!! Say hello to KING BOO!!!!!
    -Remembered you could link trade on the 3DS version! Now KING BOO is a Gengar! SO! MUCH! POWER!
    (Fun fact: I have never owned a Gengar in Gen 1 and Pokemon Red version is the game I have played most and it's the first Pokemon game I'd ever played!)

UPDATE #5
    -Taught KING BOO Mega Drain and Thunderbolt! Leveled KING BOO up to level 31!
    -Took on the Marrowak that was haunting the top floor of Lavender town with KING BOO. Realized Gengar doesn't have levitate lol Luckily crit Mega Drain took it down without worry!
    -Saved Mr. Fuji from team Rocket. No real problems. I'm worried more about the late game than what directly ahead of me if I'm honest. I've never gone into the elite 4 without a trillion healing items :/
    -So I just realized that I have another encounter....I just don't have any Pokeballs....crap...
    -Heading towards the Safari Zone RED evolved into Charmeleon after learning Flamethrower!
    -And then RED immediately evolved into Charizard!!
    I'll post more later! Please let me know what you think of this run!

Honest question for you. Should I catch a legendary bird or is that cheap? I feel like if I catch it with one ball with limited items I deserve it lol Thoughts?

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Jun 22, 2019
    Pokémon Soulsilver Nuzlocke

Xander 729
    Pokémon Soulsilver
    Additional Rule: Level cap at next gyms highest level

Badges: 4/16

Team:

The Nuzlocke Challenge

Fearow Lvl 26
    Leer
    Pursuit
    Fury Attack
    Aerial Ace

The Nuzlocke Challenge

Pidgeotto Lvl 25
    Tackle
    Gust
    Sand Attack
    Quick Attack

The Nuzlocke Challenge

Weepinbell Lvl 25
    Vine Whip
    Acid
    Poison Powder
    Sleep Powder

The Nuzlocke Challenge

Sudowoodo Lvl 25
    Flail
    Low Kick
    Rock Throw
    Faint Attack

The Nuzlocke Challenge

Stantler Lvl 25
    Leer
    Hypnosis
    Stomp
    Confuse Ray

The Nuzlocke Challenge

Magmar Lvl 25
    Leer
    Ember
    Confuse Ray
    Faint Attack

metroid711

Thumbs up~
    Years
  • Yo!

Update 5
    Spoiler:

Team recap:
    Spoiler:

Deaths: 4
    Badges: 4

Cheers!

Years
    • Seen Nov 16, 2018
    Spoiler:

ATTEMPT #2

UPDATE #6
    -Taught KING BOO Mega Drain and Thunderbolt! Leveled KING BOO up to level 31!
    -Took on the Marrowak that was haunting the top floor of Lavender town with KING BOO. Realized Gengar doesn't have levitate lol Luckily crit Mega Drain took it down without worry!
    -Saved Mr. Fuji from team Rocket. No real problems. I'm worried more about the late game than what directly ahead of me if I'm honest. I've never gone into the elite 4 without a trillion healing items :/
    -So I just realized that I have another encounter....I just don't have any Pokeballs....crap...
    -Had a real issue Kicking Rocket out of Silph Co without over leveling. Had to leave prime EXP behind. My planning is terrible...
    -Also, its official, Gary can't touch me.
    -Giovanni on the other hand made me use two Super Potions because Crit Comet Punch is a thing...whipped him in the end though. Let's take on the Psychic gym.
    -Got a Master Ball!!!
    -By a miracle the whole team was eligible for Saffrons Gym!!
    -Made it through Saffron City gyms scrubs no problem. Took on Erica and made stupid play after stupid play trying to get a clean switch in with hypnosis. What I accomplished instead was taking SANDMANS health down to 40 when I really needed him. Really dumb. Luckily RED survived being Poisoned and took a Psywave from Alakazam so he could crit back with Slash. I could have easily lost someone being so stubborn.
    I have to be better than that.
    -Got the Saffron City Gym Badge! BOOM! Time to Safari Zone it up for surf!
    -Healed RED with 15 Hp left from poison damage.
    -After getting Surf and Strength I decided to trek down to Seafoam to grab a water type for my team. I wanted a Dewgong, but when a massive Slowbro stepped in my path I literally could not pass it up. Catching a level 39 Pokémon was a scary task, but Hypnosis stepped up and got its health down to 5% with a crit (scared the crap out of me) and then slept it. After growling it's stats all the way down I threw the Ultra Ball and caught it. I've done well so far with my limited Pokeballs!
    -Welcome TURBO the Slowbro!!
    -Even though we found TURBO I noticed that TINK hadn't put in much work so I let her take on Blaines Gym on Cinnibar Island. She made quick work of everything with Thunder Wave and Bubble Beam!
    -Gonna go clean up all the trainers I left behind now that the next Gum Ace is level 50.
    -Turbo made quick work of the trainers in Viridian Gym.
    -Giovanni is a scrub if I've ever met one. You didn't disband Team Rocket Giovanni. I took and from you and destroyed it.
    -Speaking of Scrubs I forgot to heal before Gary jumped me on the way to Victory Road...damn.
    -King Boo for the win! RED and KING BOO put in work and took out Gary's team single handedly. Awesome battle. On to Victory Road!

UPDATE #7 - PREPARATION FOR THE ELITE 4
    -Victory road without items is...grueling...
    -Made it through limping in with two Pokémon poisoned.
    -After looking through my items I've decided that I should grind everyone to 52 of I want to stand a chance.
    -Time to take on the Elite 4
    -Going into the Elite 4 with:
    Hyper Potions x4
    Super Potions x3
    Max Potions x4
    Potion x2
    Antidote x1
    Full Restore x5
    Max Ether x3
    Full Heal x1
    Elixer x4
    Ether x4
    Awakening x1
    Poke Flute
    -And obviously no Revives...
    -Really worried about Paralysis and Poisoning.

WISH ME LUCK!!!!!

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Mar 18, 2022
    3rd Update (7/22/2017) - Beat the game:

The Nuzlocke Challenge

Chef
    Level 62 - Jolly|Sturdy
    Rock Blast, Earthquake, Explosion, Double Edge

The Nuzlocke Challenge

Benedict
    Level 52 - Careful|Chlorophyll
    Psychic, Light Screen, Reflect, Solarbeam

The Nuzlocke Challenge

Yogi
    Level 60 - Naughty|Thick Fat
    Belly Drum, Rest, Ice Beam, Return

The Nuzlocke Challenge

Cassius
    Level 55 - Naughty|Limber
    Brick Break, Focus Energy, Mega Kick, Reversal

The Nuzlocke Challenge

Yevaud
    Level 55 - Docile|Inner Focus
    Surf, Fly, Thunderbolt, Dragon Claw

The Nuzlocke Challenge

Natsu
    Level 52 - Sassy|Intimidate
    Sunny Day, Overheat, Bite, Flamethrower

Gone but not forgotten:
    The Nuzlocke Challenge
    The Nuzlocke Challenge
    The Nuzlocke Challenge
    The Nuzlocke Challenge

TheCrystalFlaaffy

Youtube Content Creator
    Years
  • Faced off against the first gym leader in Dark Rising today, made it out with the badge but not without a few casualties. Time to grind up again!

Challenge
    Spoiler:
    Episode 5:
    Spoiler:
    Current Team:
    The Nuzlocke Challenge

Postman the Dratini @Dragon Fang
    Level 21 | Male | Naughty | Shed Skin
    Swift | Dragonbreath | Thunder Wave | Whirlpool
    The Nuzlocke Challenge

Core the Roggenrola
    Level 22 | Male | Careful | Sturdy
    The Nuzlocke Challenge

Son Goku the Darumaka
    Level 20 | Male | Hardy | Inner Focus
    Boxed:
    Spoiler:
    Deaths:
    Spoiler:

Years
    • Seen Nov 16, 2018
    Spoiler:

ATTEMPT #2

UPDATE #7
    -KING BOO swept Lorilei and Bruno. With some help from SANDMAN on Lorileis Slowbro. RED CAME THROUGH against Agatha completely sweeping up her entire team! I was so worried about her teams speed due to Level difference and base stats! RED is a beast!
    Lance was all hype. KING BOO embarrassed every one of her Pokémon badly. I brought in TINK to kill the Dragonite just to show off.

-Gary was the most difficult fight. Being a good 10 levels under level every single team member was called on for this one.
    KING BOO gave me a heart attack when it's Thunderbolt didn't KO the enemy Pidgeotto and was hit back with a Mirror Move. Gary switched in Alakazam which prompted me to swap into TURBO.
    TURBO and Alakazam went back and forth in damage until Turbo finally came out on top with 94 HP and a Reflect up. TURBO Killed Gary's Rhydon in one hit. Gary swapped in Arcanine so scare out TURBO with a physical attacker. TURBO stood tall behind its REFLECT and delivered a Surf attack that failed to KO the Arcanine. Arcanine then hit TURBO with a Take down bringing TURBO's Hp to 2!!
    SANDMAN came in to swept up the Arcanine. SANDMAN stayed in to put Gary's Eggsecutor to sleep and then traded places with RED. RED wasted no time Crit KOing the Eggsecutor. The Gary brought in his ACE, a level 65 BLASTOISE.
    TINK was brought in to paralyze the Blastoise and then KING BOO, smelling Blood in the water, took it out in fashion with a crit Thunderbolt.

-We are Pokémon Champions of the Kanto Region!

-By far the most exciting moments came in the beginning staying under Level caps and saving ITEMS for the end game. To think that I found and owned only 4 Pokeballs and without error we came out with 4 Pokémon. Amazing.

-I now have 1 Masterball and 2 Ultra Balls left. I know where to find one more Ultra Ball.....
    To complete the game per my rules I have to catch all of the legendaries without fail. 3 Birds and 1 Legendary Mistake.
    This will be our toughest task yet. And we're running out of healing items...

FINAL UPDATE
    -TURBO died via One Hit KO move from a Rhydon in Cerulean cave...we managed this whole time to survive without any deaths...[insert expletives here]!!!

-Found Mewtwo and threw the Masterball at it. Still can't believe we lost TURBO like that but we got Mewtwo...

-Found our way to Zapdos. It's Drill Pecks destroyed my team. Sadly TINK died to a critical hit while Paralyzing the thunder bird. Took two Ultra balls but we caught it. I have 3 Ultra balls left after finding some extras in Cerulean Cave.

-Found Moltres and used two swifts from Mewtwo and 3 Mega Drains from KING BOO to get its health down. Slept it and used growl on RED to drop its stats as much as possible. Took two balls again to catch it. Maybe I can find some more balls, I don't think One will do it.

-Caught Articuno! Yes! One ball! Attack dropped to -6! Hp at one after one crit swift, one head butt from SANDMAN and one crit Mega Drain from KING BOO!!!!! I can't believe it!

Game complete!!!!!

RIP TURBO

Last edited:

TheCrystalFlaaffy

Youtube Content Creator
    Years
  • Challenge
    Spoiler:
    Episode 6:
    Spoiler:
    Current Team:
    The Nuzlocke Challenge

Core the Roggenrola
    Level 25 | Male | Careful | Sturdy
    The Nuzlocke Challenge

Son Goku the Darumaka
    Level 24 | Male | Hardy | Inner Focus
    The Nuzlocke Challenge

Dawn the Minccino
    Level 21 | Female | Brave | Cute Charm
    Tickle | Attract | Double Slap | Iron Tail
    The Nuzlocke Challenge

Bubblebud the Tentacool
    Level 18 | Male | Gentle | Liquid Ooze
    Poison Sting | Supersonic | Constrict
    Boxed:
    Spoiler:
    Deaths:
    Spoiler:

Pave Low2

Everything
    Years
    • Seen Aug 14, 2018
    Got 6/8 badges but my save file got corrupted. Can't update obviously so will just restart the challenge shortly.

TheCrystalFlaaffy

Youtube Content Creator
    Years
  • Started postgame in Prism today. Going to continue through the game until I get all the badges at the very least. There's 20 of them total so it may be a little while but definitely still loving this game and plan to see it through till the end :]

Challenge
    Spoiler:
    Episode #35
    Spoiler:

metroid711

Thumbs up~
    Years
  • Yo!
    Update 6

Spoiler:

Team Recap:
    Spoiler:
    Deaths: 7
    Badges: 5

Cheers!

metroid711

Thumbs up~
    Years
  • Yo!
    Update 7

Spoiler:

Team Recap:
    Spoiler:

Deaths: 8
    Badges: 6

Cheers!

metroid711

Thumbs up~
    Years
  • Yo!
    Update 8

Spoiler:

Team recap:
    Spoiler:

Deaths: 9
    Badges: 6

Cheers!

TheCrystalFlaaffy

Youtube Content Creator
    Years
  • Got another episode of Dark Rising for you guys :]

Challenge
    Spoiler:
    Episode 7:
    Spoiler:
    Current Team:
    The Nuzlocke Challenge

Son Goku the Darumaka
    Level 31 | Male | Hardy | Inner Focus
    Fire Punch | Thrash | Rollout | Drain Punch
    The Nuzlocke Challenge

Dawn the Minccino
    Level 33 | Female | Brave | Cute Charm
    Hyper Voice | Iron Tail | Attract | Swift
    Boxed:
    Spoiler:
    Deaths:
    Spoiler:

Last edited:
    Years
    • UK
    • Seen Aug 7, 2017
    Sign-Up
    Username: DarkArx
    Version: Pokemon Platinum
    Single/Ultimate?: Single

Update will be posted within the hour, let's smash this.

Back