• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

4/6 Grass Mono

Years
    • Seen Jan 26, 2014
    Grass Team
    My task was to have Grass types fill 4/6 places on my team. I added four OU capable grass types.
    Sceptile, Roserade, Breloom and Ferrothorn
    Then, I thought about a pokemon that could help this team out. I needed something that could give my pokemon a boost, or at least 1 or 2 of them. I added this girl.
    Ninetales
    Finally, I added in a pokemon that had great power and diversity, and is one of my favourite pokemon to boot.
    Hydreigon

Ninetales @ Air Balloon
    Trait: Drought
    EVs: 4 HP / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
    Modest Nature (+SAtk, -Atk)
    - Fire Blast
    - Solarbeam
    - Nasty Plot
    - HP Ice
    This pokemon's main job is to get the sun up. Once that's done, she can do what she likes, really. Nasty Plot will give her a nice SAtk boost, which she can then go for a move that would go best. Like a super effective move.

Hydreigon @ Choice Specs
    Trait: Levitate
    - Focus Blast
    - Draco Meteor
    - Fire Blast
    - Dark Pulse
    Hydreigon bosses everything by using it's super-high SAtk. Focus Blast covers 5 different types, Fire Blast covers Grass and Bug as well as the Ice and Steel that was mentioned before. But Fire Blast is a better choice in the sun. I might consider running a Mixed set on this, as it would provide me with a Flying-type move to counter Fighting.

Sceptile @ Focus Sash
    Trait: Overgrow
    - Solarbeam
    - Dragon Pulse
    - Focus Blast
    - Substitute
    I'll deal with the item first. Focus Sash is there so I can get at least two strong attacks in, for example, a Hydreigon is out, and I send in my Sceptile after the previous pokemon has been fainted. Chances are, it will have Flamethrower or Fire Blast. Also, as long as it isn't scarf'd Sceptile will be faster than it. I use Dragon Pulse, and it uses the fire move, and I'm hanging on with 1 hp, (probably) so I can then get in another hit. Simple. Solarbeam doesn't need a charge up turn when we're in the sun, so that's Sceptile's STAB coverage. Dragon Pulse hits those annoying Dragons that are almost always flying around in OU. Focus Blast then has the luxury of taking out Rock pokemon, Ice types, Normal types, Dark types as well as Steel types. I don't know what else I'd put in Substitute's spot.

Roserade @ Leftovers
    Trait: Poison Point
    EVs: 252 SAtk / 4 SDef / 252 Spd
    - Weather Ball
    - Sleep Powder
    - Petal Dance
    - Leech Seed
    This pokemon's mission is to annoy the opponent. First it's knocked out by powder emanated from Roserade's roses. While it's asleep, its health will be sapped by vines wrapped around the opponent, which also heals Roserade, finishing with a wonderful dance of petals. You may also decide to throw a fireball at the opponent instead, which is brought on by the sun. When the next opponent comes out, repeat. And if the opponent wakes up while doing this, and launches a physical attack, it may well end up poisoned, thanks to Roserade's ability, Poison Point.

Breloom @ Toxic Orb
    Trait: Poison Heal
    EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spd
    Adamant Nature (+Atk, -SAtk)
    - Spore
    - Seed Bomb
    - Focus Punch
    - Leech Seed
    This pokemon is like a physical version of the above Roserade, only somewhat better IMO. First, you are required to send the opponent to sleep using Spore, and use the following turn to either attack it or Leech Seed it. After the Leech Seed is healing Breloom as well as the poison healing him, he will be quite hard to handle. That is, unless you're going against Gliscor. That would be a horrible check for Breloom.

Ferrothorn @ Rocky Helmet
    Trait: Iron Barbs
    EVs: 128 Atk / 252 Def / 124 SDef
    - Stealth Rocks
    - Gyro Ball
    - Power Whip
    - Curse
    Straightfoward set - Use Stealth Rocks, curse a few times, then beat the heck out of the opponent with Gyro Ball. With the lovely added effect of if an opponent decides to use a physical move on you, it takes damage. WARNING: DO NOT USE NEAR FIRE. BURNS EASILY.

Other possible team members
    Politoed, as Grass types can do well in the rain. It also provides some resistance to fire.
    Toxicroak, to be used in Rain as replacement to Hydreigon.
    Venusaur, Chlorophyll would make this lumbering dinosaur rather nimble in the Sun.

Thanks everyone!

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
    Years
  • While Ninetales can set up sun for the team, it only makes things worse by enhancing the Fire weaknesses of most, if not all, your team members. Use Heatran instead; it synergizes well with Grass Pokemon:
    -Fire Blast
    -Earth Power
    -Hidden Power (Ice/Grass)
    -Stealth Rock
    Nature: Modest/Timid
    EVs: 252 SAtk/4 SDef/252 Spe
    Item: Life Orb/Air Balloon

or
    -Lava Plume
    -Toxic/Will-o-Wisp
    -Roar
    -Protect
    Nature: Calm
    EVs: 248 HP/252 SDef/8 Spe
    Item: Leftovers

Change Sceptile's set to this; it no longer needs SolarBeam because of the replacement of Ninetales:
    -Leaf Storm
    -Focus Blast/Earthquake
    -Hidden Power (Ice/Fire)
    -Dragon Pulse/Earthquake
    Nature: Timid/Hasty
    EVs: 4 HP/252 SAtk/252 Spe
    Item: Life Orb
    Ability: Overgrow

or
    -Substitute
    -Leech Seed
    -Giga Drain
    -Hidden Power (Fire)
    Nature: Timid
    EVs: 252 HP/28 SDef/232 Spe

Since Stealth Rock is covered by Heatran and Spikes will be covered by Ferrothorn (more later), how about making Roserade more of a Toxic Spiker? Also, Poison Point needs luck to activate; Natural Cure is the superior ability to erase status upon leaving battle:
    -Toxic Spikes
    -Sleep Powder
    -Leaf Storm/Grass Knot/Giga Drain
    -Hidden Power (Fire/Ice)
    Item: Focus Sash/Life Orb
    Ability: Natural Cure

You can consider Bulk Up, SubPunch or SubSeed on Breloom:
    -Bulk Up
    -Spore
    -Seed Bomb
    -Drain Punch
    Nature: Careful
    EVs: 236 HP/212 Def/60 Spe
    Item: Toxic Orb
    Ability: Poison Heal

or
    -Spore
    -Substitute
    -Focus Punch
    -Seed Bomb/Stone Edge/Facade
    Nature: Adamant
    EVs: 12 HP/244 Atk/252 Spe

or
    -Spore
    -Substitute
    -Leech Seed
    -Focus Punch
    EVs: 236 HP/56 Atk/216 Def

While Ferrothorn can use Curse somewhat effectively, it shouldn't be done without a recovery move. That, and its Fire and Fighting weaknesses somewhat hinder it, considering that 2/3rds of your team are weak to Fire. Use Leech Seed instead of Curse and Spikes instead of Stealth Rock (because Heatran already provides Stealth Rock). The EV spread of 252 HP/88 Def/168 SDef with a Relaxed nature should be used too for Ferrothorn to have balanced bulk.

Years
    • Seen Jan 26, 2014
    While Ninetales can set up sun for the team, it only makes things worse by enhancing the Fire weaknesses of most, if not all, your team members. Use Heatran instead; it synergizes well with Grass Pokemon:
    -Fire Blast
    -Earth Power
    -Hidden Power (Ice/Grass)
    -Stealth Rock
    Nature: Modest/Timid
    EVs: 252 SAtk/4 SDef/252 Spe
    Item: Life Orb/Air Balloon

or
    -Lava Plume
    -Toxic/Will-o-Wisp
    -Roar
    -Protect
    Nature: Calm
    EVs: 248 HP/252 SDef/8 Spe
    Okay. I see what you're saying there, and I think I'll use the first set. I have too much experience against Heatran, after a 6 Sceptile vs 6 Heatran match. I came close but not close enough. So yeah, I know a bit about Heatran. Also, Air Balloon would probably be my choice.

Change Sceptile's set to this; it no longer needs SolarBeam because of the replacement of Ninetales:
    -Leaf Storm
    -Focus Blast/Earthquake
    -Hidden Power (Ice/Fire)
    -Dragon Pulse/Earthquake
    Nature: Timid/Hasty
    Item: Life Orb

or
    -Substitute
    -Leech Seed
    -Giga Drain
    -Hidden Power (Fire)
    EVs: 252 HP/28 SDef/232 Spe
    I would probably go with the first set, but I kinda dislike using Leaf Storm, as SAtk hinderances are bad. Would Energy Ball be an acceptable replacement, do you think? Timid is my preferred nature there.

Since Stealth Rock is covered by Heatran and Spikes will be covered by Ferrothorn (more later), how about making Roserade more of a Toxic Spiker? Also, Poison Point needs luck to activate; Natural Cure is the superior ability to erase status upon leaving battle:
    -Toxic Spikes
    -Sleep Powder
    -Leaf Storm/Grass Knot/Giga Drain
    -Hidden Power (Fire/Ice)
    Item: Focus Sash/Life Orb
    Ability: Natural Cure
    Yeah, I get the Poison Point / Natural Cure thing, but I don't switch much, so I thought PP would be better. Otherwise I think I'll keep Petal Dance, but get rid of Weather Ball for Toxic Spikes. Natural Cure is better in this situation I suppose.

You can consider Bulk Up, SubPunch or SubSeed on Breloom:
    -Bulk Up
    -Spore
    -Seed Bomb
    -Drain Punch
    Nature: Careful
    EVs: 236 HP/212 Def/60 Spe

or
    -Spore
    -Substitute
    -Focus Punch
    -Seed Bomb/Stone Edge/Facade
    EVs: 12 HP/244 Atk/252 Spe
    Less effective version of mine, as Spore works as the Sub. Seed Bomb is the attack if Spore doesn't work.

or
    -Spore
    -Substitute
    -Leech Seed
    -Focus Punch
    EVs: 236 HP/56 Atk/216 Def
    I did consider Drain Punch, but I figured Focus Punch would work as well, coupled with Leech Seed and Poison Heal. I think I prefer my Breloom as it is.

While Ferrothorn can use Curse somewhat effectively, it shouldn't be done without a recovery move. That, and its Fire and Fighting weaknesses somewhat hinder it, considering that 2/3rds of your team are weak to Fire. Use Leech Seed instead of Curse and Spikes instead of Stealth Rock (because Heatran already provides Stealth Rock). The EV spread of 252 HP/88 Def/168 SDef with a Relaxed nature should be used too for Ferrothorn to have balanced bulk.
    okay.

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
    Years
  • Okay. I see what you're saying there, and I think I'll use the first set. I have too much experience against Heatran, after a 6 Sceptile vs 6 Heatran match. I came close but not close enough. So yeah, I know a bit about Heatran. Also, Air Balloon would probably be my choice.

I would probably go with the first set, but I kinda dislike using Leaf Storm, as SAtk hinderances are bad. Would Energy Ball be an acceptable replacement, do you think? Timid is my preferred nature there.

Yeah, I get the Poison Point / Natural Cure thing, but I don't switch much, so I thought PP would be better. Otherwise I think I'll keep Petal Dance, but get rid of Weather Ball for Toxic Spikes. Natural Cure is better in this situation I suppose.

I did consider Drain Punch, but I figured Focus Punch would work as well, coupled with Leech Seed and Poison Heal. I think I prefer my Breloom as it is.

okay.
    Giga Drain is used often nowadays because of the recovery. The slight decrease in power doesn't matter much.

Petal Dance may seem tempting, because it has the same BP as Outrage and Thrash, but you really shouldn't be using it because Grass has worse coverage than Dragon. If you KO something with Petal Dance, do you want a Fire, Bug or Steel Pokemon to come in and tank the rest of your Petal Dance attacks, then be confused after a turn or two? Stick with Giga Drain or Grass Knot.

Years
    • Seen Jan 26, 2014
    Giga Drain is used often nowadays because of the recovery. The slight decrease in power doesn't matter much.
    I meant instead of Leaf Storm. Sp.Atk lowering can render it pretty useless, as it isn't very bulky. I think Energy Ball would be better, because I can combine it with Dragon Pulse, unlike Giga Drain which requires it to e learnt as a Treecko.
    Petal Dance may seem tempting, because it has the same BP as Outrage and Thrash, but you really shouldn't be using it because Grass has worse coverage than Dragon. If you KO something with Petal Dance, do you want a Fire, Bug or Steel Pokemon to come in and tank the rest of your Petal Dance attacks, then be confused after a turn or two? Stick with Giga Drain or Grass Knot.

yeah, good point. I think it will be Giga drain.

Dark Azelf

☽𖤐☾𓃶𐕣
    Years
    • Seen yesterday
    Keep Leaf Storm, its your most powerful move and lets you beat walls. Also you should switch out at -2 tbh lol and the funny thing is its still stronger than Energy Ball at -2 iirc.

Back